Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 8th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 12Thanks
    AbbieA
    Taking Court Action Against Vodafone - Remove Default Notice
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    Taking Court Action Against Vodafone - Remove Default Notice 8th Mar 17 at 2:11 PM
    Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but this is my first post on the forum, moderators feel free to move if necessary.

I am in the middle of a long battle with Vodafone over a fraudulent account set up in my name back in 2014. This was discovered in July 2015 and immediately reported to the Police and ActionFraud who provided a crime reference number. It was also reported to my bank who, having conducted an investigation, determined that the signature used to set up the Direct Debit Instruction was fraudulent. As a result of this, the bank recovered all monies paid to Vodafone.

Since then, Vodafone have not accepted that this account was created fraudulently and have continued to send correspondence to an unknown to me address provided by the fraudsters when they created the account. They have also applied default notices to my credit record and have refused to remove them. I have made repeated requests asking them to supply me with details of any fraud investigation conducted, the identification documents and proof of address given when the account was opened and all other information pertinent to the fraud investigation and I have numerous email responses where they have refused to supply me with these.

In 30/10/16 I sent a letter to Vodafone by recorded delivery advising that I plan on pursuing them through the Consumer Ombudsman and will take legal action if necessary, if they refuse to remove the default notices from my credit score. They confirmed receipt of the letter but refused to remove the default notices or provide me with the information I requested. As a result I contacted the consumer ombudsman who stated that, having previously investigated the account when I was still gathering evidence and subsequently closed their investigation, will no longer investigate.

On 12/12/16 I made a request for information under the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 and obtained documents relating to the account. This was supplied on the 23rd of January and showed that Vodafone had been told by my bank that the Direct Debit Instruction contained a fraudulent signature and that the account had been referred to their internal Fraud team numerous times. It also has all my correspondence and repeated requests for further information but specifically does not include details of the fraud investigation or the identification documents and proof of address used to open the account.

As a result of this I feel I am now left with no option but to pursue Vodafone through a smalls claim court (?) to get them to remove the default notice. I have sent a Pre Action Protocol stating my intent. In my Basis of Claim I assert that Vodafone have been negligent in allowing this contract to be opened with insufficient documentation and have incorrectly applied a debt and default notices to my name/credit score. I further assert that the fraud investigation carried out by Vodafone has been insufficient. I can and have provided evidence to back up these claims.

So in summary, it’s a horrible situation that has caused me untold stress for nearly 2 years. Vodafone have yet to respond to my Pre Action Protocol letter and have until next week to do so (within the 28 days). I am preparing my next steps either way but wish I had posted on here sooner as I need advice on the following:

Can a small claim court force a company to remove a default notice?
    Should I be pursuing Vodafone for damages?
    Is there any way to get the Ombudsman to re-investigate now that I have all the evidence I need?

Any help appreciated guys!
    Thanks, Abbie!
Page 2
  • Vodafone
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks for updating us, has the automated email been sent to any spam or junk folders?

If you’re unable to locate the response, please resubmit your details after clearing your cache and cookies and trying an alternative browser.

Once you receive the reference number, please update us and we can check on this for you.

Thanks,

Natasha

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 10,589 Posts
    • 10,362 Thanks
    sourcrates
    It sounds like pretty shoddy treatment from vodaphone.

It would make a refreshing change if they actually fessed up that they had made a mistake in this instance, and actually sorted out the unholy mess the OP appears to be in.

It should not be outside the Rhelms of possibility to do that, and to make proper amends for it.

It would also be appropriate if one of you could come back and inform us of any resolution.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 17th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    AbbieA
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks for updating us, has the automated email been sent to any spam or junk folders?

If you’re unable to locate the response, please resubmit your details after clearing your cache and cookies and trying an alternative browser.

Once you receive the reference number, please update us and we can check on this for you.

Thanks,

Natasha

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Hi, I have still not received anything an automated email with reference number. I have resubmitted the info twice today using different browsers, after clearing my cache and cookies. Nothing received in spam folders or anywhere else either.

Will let you know when something comes through.
    • AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 17th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    AbbieA
    Nothing received still, does your online form work? I've tried using both chrome and internet explorer, will try Firefox too. I suppose when you make it this difficult for people to notify you of a complaint it makes your statistics look better...

On an interesting note, I have received a letter from Vodafone. Despite failing to respond to or even acknowledge my pre action protocol letter, the Vodafone Legal team are now investigating the case as a result of my email to the directors. The main body of the letter in it's entirety:

Thank you for your email into our director's office dated 13th March 2017
    I am writing to inform you that we are fully investigating this case and will get a substantive response back to you within the next 28 days. I have requested that the fraud investigation be re-opened and will respond to you with the results of this investigation as soon as it has been completed.

Will keep you all posted!
    • robber2
    • By robber2 18th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    robber2
    Hi AbbieA,
    congratulations on your perserverance.

If the current promises from vodafone come to nothing you may find that going to the media will help to keep the pressure on; watchdog, sunday papers, Vodafones twitter and facebook accounts for example. Its a sad reality that companies like this tend to worry more about bad publicity than they do about causing untold stress and hassle for individuals.

good luck

Rob
  • Vodafone
    Hi AbbieA,

It may be an issue with the email address you're using. We've had an issue with Hotmail.co.uk and AOL.com account. Please try resubmitting the form using a different email address.

Thanks,
    Will

Social Media Operations
    Vodafone UK
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 20th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Arleen
    Hi AbbieA,

It may be an issue with the email address you're using. We've had an issue with Hotmail.co.uk and AOL.com account. Please try resubmitting the form using a different email address.

Thanks,
    Will

Social Media Operations
    Vodafone UK
    Originally posted by Vodafone
    Or just stop sending spam around from the same domain you are trying to then handle support requests? Because that is how you end up getting banned. The irony is that by this rate they could've just sent it by post or pigeon, and it would be faster.

It's insane what they are putting you through OP, I'm sorry that I can't help.
    • rizla king
    • By rizla king 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    rizla king
    It's insane what they are putting you through OP, I'm sorry that I can't help.
    Originally posted by Arleen
    The idea is to wear people down so they give up and go away.

vodafone have no real interest in helping
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... <----- SIGNATURE - Not part of post
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 10,589 Posts
    • 10,362 Thanks
    sourcrates
    The idea is to wear people down so they give up and go away.

vodafone have no real interest in helping
    Originally posted by rizla king
    Could not agree more, customer service as it used to be known, is now non existent in most large organisations in this country.

I know little about how these companies internal departments work, but they seem to lack a certain amount of common sense to my mind.

What happened to the old adage "the customer is always right" ?
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 22nd Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    AbbieA
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks,
    Will

Social Media Operations
    Vodafone UK

It was a gmail address, I have now resubmitted the information using a yahoo email address. Bare in mind this is now the 6th time I have submitted the information using your online form, and that this also follows numerous phone calls, letters, emails to CEO's and an (ignored) Pre Action Protocol Letter. It's also worth noting that the social media team have already been supplied with all this information by email.
    Last edited by AbbieA; 22-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.
  • Vodafone
    Hi AbbieA,

So I can make sure that we've got it, please update the thread with the reference number from our automated reply.

Alternatively, please let us know the reference number from your previous emails with the Social Media team and we can chase this up for you.

Kind regards,

Becca

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    • AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 22nd Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    AbbieA
    Hi AbbieA,

So I can make sure that we've got it, please update the thread with the reference number from our automated reply.

Alternatively, please let us know the reference number from your previous emails with the Social Media team and we can chase this up for you.

Kind regards,

Becca

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    I have still not had an email response from any of the 6 times I have submitted your online form, on 3 different browsers and using 3 different email addresses.

The reference number from the previous emails with the social media team are WRT165 [#13884874]. I had replies regarding this from Johnson Samuel, Yesha Nagar and Sachin Chotalia.

I look forward to your response.
    • rizla king
    • By rizla king 22nd Mar 17, 11:46 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    rizla king
    I have now resubmitted the information using a yahoo email address. Bare in mind this is now the 6th time I have submitted the information using your online form, and that this also follows numerous phone calls, letters, emails to CEO's and an (ignored) Pre Action Protocol Letter. It's also worth noting that the social media team have already been supplied with all this information by email.
    Originally posted by AbbieA
    as you have found out vodafone are either

1 monumentally incompetent to a level where you find it hard to imagine how they can operate at all

or

2 very good at faking the above as a deliberate tactic to frustrate and deflect complaints
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... <----- SIGNATURE - Not part of post
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 22nd Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    StopIt
    I have still not had an email response from any of the 6 times I have submitted your online form, on 3 different browsers and using 3 different email addresses.

The reference number from the previous emails with the social media team are WRT165 [#13884874]. I had replies regarding this from Johnson Samuel, Yesha Nagar and Sachin Chotalia.

I look forward to your response.
    Originally posted by AbbieA

Wow, I think somebody needs to be testing that form to see if it's just broken, because that' just stupid.

I still think this is beyond the remit of these guys anyway, but this is a new low either way.
  • Vodafone
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'm unsure as to why your recent emails aren't coming through.

As I'm also unable to find your details from the reference number 13884874, please reply to the last email you received under this reference and amend the code in the subject line from WRT165 to WRT135.

Alternatively, please email me with a contact number only at eforum.web@help.vodafone.com and quote the code WRT135 in the subject line.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    • AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 24th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    AbbieA
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'm unsure as to why your recent emails aren't coming through.

As I'm also unable to find your details from the reference number 13884874, please reply to the last email you received under this reference and amend the code in the subject line from WRT165 to WRT135.

Alternatively, please email me with a contact number only at eforum.web@help.vodafone.com and quote the code WRT135 in the subject line.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Hi Lee,

I have sent the emails as per your instructions and received an automated response acknowledging receipt. I look forward to your response.
  • Vodafone
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I can see that my colleague Will replied to your email on 26 March.

So I can look into this further, please reply to the email with a contact number.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media CARE

Vodafone UK
    • AbbieA
    • By AbbieA 29th Mar 17, 9:26 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    AbbieA
    Hi AbbieA,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I can see that my colleague Will replied to your email on 26 March.

So I can look into this further, please reply to the email with a contact number.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media CARE

Vodafone UK
    Hi Lee,

The reply from Lee said:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Before we can investigate your account and discuss it further, we'll need some more details from you. Please complete this form and we'll be in touch to discuss this with you further.

Thanks,

Will
    Social Media Comms

Vodafone Limited
    Vodafone HQ, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2FN
    Registered in England No 1471587

The link to the form was the same as the original complaints one that doesn't work. I filled it in anyway (7th time now, 3rd email address and 3rd different web browser). Unsurprisingly I have had no response.

I have replied to the email with my phone number, though Vodafone already have this and have done since July 2015. The email address I responded to is eforum.web@help.vodafone.co.uk and the subject title is WRT135 [#15646794].
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 29th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 10,589 Posts
    • 10,362 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Vodaphone rep, why don't you just PM the customer, get her phone number, and sort out her problem ?

This is just making your company look even more of a laughing stock.

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

• Polmop
    • By Polmop 29th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    Polmop
    I agree, defo wont be going to Vodafone anytime soon.
    Good luck Op, you should really go to the press over this
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,917Posts Today

7,868Users online

Martin's Twitter