Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Leojohn92
    • By Leojohn92 6th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Leojohn92
    Problems with student finance, can anyone help??
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    Problems with student finance, can anyone help?? 6th Mar 17 at 4:42 PM
    Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me with my dilemma.

I have a place at university next year, but I'm worried I won't be eligible for student finance because of residency issues.

Over the last 3 years I taught in Vietnam for 6 months, with a temporary contract. Later I moved to Bolivia for 9 months and got a 1 year visa on the basis that my girlfriend, who had a job and working visa, would support me. She had a one year job contract but I don't have any work contracts for that time. Since then I've travelled for 2 months and will travel for 2 more.

I came back to the UK between living abroad, and my bank statements have always gone to my parents address. I'm also presumably still on the electoral register at my parents address.

This will be a top up year at uni for the foundation degree I already have. Student finance paid for my previous 2 years, and so I previously updated them to let them know I was in Bolivia but I don't think I ever told them I was in Vietnam.

I really need some advice about how to proceed with my student finance application. I haven't applied yet because I'm really scared i'll say or do something wrong, and ruin my chances of getting the loan. If anyone has any experience in this, I'd appreciate the advice so much!!

Thanks for reading this, I hope someone can help!
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 7th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    _shel
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    Nobody is going to tell you to do or say anything other than the truth
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 8th Mar 17, 12:01 AM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 7,660 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:01 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:01 AM
    It is probable that the OP does satisfy the requirements for student finance, but there is indeed a need to be very careful. I suggest that you read the website in great detail, and perhaps use Google to find the official definitions of terms like "ordinarily resident".
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    The regulations state 'living in ' not just ordinarily resident

Your nationality or residency status

You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
    you normally live in England
    you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
    • Leojohn92
    • By Leojohn92 9th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leojohn92
    • 9th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    Hmm well I guess all I can really do is apply and see what they say, I keep hearing that they'll probably make an exception for a temporary contract, but we'll see.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 7,660 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    Hmm well I guess all I can really do is apply and see what they say, I keep hearing that they'll probably make an exception for a temporary contract, but we'll see.
    Originally posted by Leojohn92
    It is not an "exception": they follow the rules. It is of course possible for someone to be living in England but taking an extended holiday abroad, and perhaps even picking up some kind of work while they are away. A permanent contract would demonstrate that they are no long living in England.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,249Users online

Martin's Twitter