Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 5th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    • 364Posts
    • 863Thanks
    silly moo
    London with a pram
    • 5th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    London with a pram 5th Mar 17 at 10:19 PM
    Hi all, hope you can advise

We're planning a trip to London in a few months and I'm wondering how easy it is to use the underground, buses and trains in London with a pram. We have Uppababy Vista which is super comfy, easy to navigate and has a huge basket (very handy for travelling) but rather bulky and doesn't fold easily. Would you recommend we buy a smaller stroller for this trip? Baby will be 14 months old when we go.

Thank you
Page 3
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 12th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    mattpaint
    Don't forget you'll need Oyster Cards - £5 each - as there's no cash fares on the buses and buying tickets for the trains and tubes can take forever now. If it's a manned station, you should be able to get through the wider gate, as the normal ones will end up with you and junior getting stuck with a hundred stressed commuters stuck behind you. Travelling is probably least bad between 10.30am and 2.30pm. And download the London Transport Bus Countdown App on your phone, it's worth having a smartphone just for that alone.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    You won't need Oyster Cards if you've got a contactless debit/credit card.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 12th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    TheGardener
    My experience of London underground with kids:
    You need nerves of steel
    110% concentration
    Know exactly where you are going
    Old fashioned baby reigns if the DC is walking
    Do not underestimate how deep the tube is - in some cases several flights deep
    Once, my DD was hysterical by the time I got though one particular station - the stairs, heat (it was a hot summer day), noise and volume of people. The Local kids are used to it.
    Plan your luggage and prams carefully - you need minimum carry and maximum hands free.

I would try and use the Bus but in any event do not travel during the rush hours. Of course lots of Londoners do it every day - but if you are unfamiliar with it - plan well.
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 13th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    silly moo
    Once, my DD was hysterical by the time I got though one particular station - the stairs, heat (it was a hot summer day), noise and volume of people.
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    Oh dear, my 5yo freaks out at hand dryers in public toilets
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 13th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 12,480 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Tube doors are ruthless. Don't faff, you need to all be straight on and off together and definitely have a plan if you get separated at a tube. I've seen several groups and families separated by tube doors. The one left behind doesn't know whether to stay put, go up one stop or go to destination and the one that's gone panics too.

Really not trying to put you off lol! Just be prepared.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 10,083 Posts
    • 24,862 Thanks
    suki1964
    First time I took the step kids on the underground ( 4 and 5) the 4 year old was petriefied and was convinced we were going to see the devil

Forgot all about the heat and the noise

So glad I'm no longer a commuter in London
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • Velvet Glove
    • By Velvet Glove 14th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Velvet Glove
    As a wheelchair user, PLEASE use a sling or a buggy that can be easily folded. I don't enjoy having to kick someone out of the wheelchair space but I don't enjoy being late to work either.
    • silly moo
    • By silly moo 19th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    silly moo
    Thank you all. Looks like small foldable buggy wins so now just need to find a nice cheap one.
    We've been showing my 5yo youtube videos of the tube and he is fascinated so hopefully there won't be any tears
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 10,083 Posts
    • 24,862 Thanks
    suki1964
    Thank you all. Looks like small foldable buggy wins so now just need to find a nice cheap one.
    We've been showing my 5yo youtube videos of the tube and he is fascinated so hopefully there won't be any tears
    Originally posted by silly moo
    Have a look on fb selling pages

I got grandsons one in mother care for very little money as it was shop soiled no box etc. I could turn it on a sixpence and it was so light I could easily carry it and him on escalators and on and off tubes and buses

People do give up seats if they see you are laden down, more so then if you get on with a pram
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 23,350 Posts
    • 90,720 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    You won't need Oyster Cards if you've got a contactless debit/credit card.
    Originally posted by mattpaint
    True, but as I live and work in London, I've found it's not particularly relaxing to be holding your bank card in your hand all the time you're getting on and off transport, especially when laden with children. Moreover, if you drop it in the transfer, you're not only stranded but you have no means of getting any more cash.

At least with an Oyster, if that goes missing, you still have your bank card and vice versa.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

565Posts Today

4,351Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin