Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,078Posts
    • 122,245Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 3
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 28th Feb 17, 10:54 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Pollycat, I've a friend whose worse then that. She goes through her freezer and anything older then 3 months gets binned

I told her to bin it my direction. She thinks I'm joking
    Originally posted by usernameisvalid

i have a friend that 8 years ago spent £100 a week on shopping for her and her new husband, she'd often throw loads of veg and stuff away. I was on incapacity bens at the time so said 'when you're binning it give me a call and i'll collect it' I didn't buy veg, fruit and bread for 3 months til she caught on. saved me a fortune
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Mar 17, 1:19 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Does anyone use Olio? It's still early days but hasn't really taken off locally.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 17,342 Posts
    • 44,170 Thanks
    Pollycat
    One of the last times I was at a Chinese 'all you can eat' buffet, we were sitting next to a couple who helped themselves to huge platefuls of food, would eat just a few mouthfuls and then go back to get more. By the time they left there was this big stack of plates piled high with wasted food squashed between them.

I'm not perfect but try to waste as little as possible by keeping meal portions on the small side and any leftovers go into the food caddy which is collected weekly.
    Originally posted by Bathory
    We go to an all-you-can-eat buffet place that does all manner of cuisine - mainly India & Chinese with some sushi, Thai, pasta/risotto, burger bar, pizza and a bit of a carvery. Plus puddings/ice cream/pancake/waffles.

I dislike mixed up food & tastes so I'll take a small (sweet) plate and have Indian or Chinese starters.
    Then another small plate of mains and maybe another after that.
    I eat everything I take because I know what I like and how much I'll eat.

Gob-smacking at the number of people who pile their plates high with food - rice and noodles and pasta etc.
    I saw one woman who had a mixture of carbs like that plus some sort of Indian curry, naan bread, a slice of pizza and then went to the carvery station for a slice of gammon. topped that with a yorkshire pudding and a ladleful of gravy.
    Gross!
    And greedy!

It really is shocking (and sad) to see so much wasted food.

PN - you'd probably like the place we go to.
    Prices are reasonable. I'll be paying £10.99 per person for me and my sister next Saturday lunchtime. Even cheaper during the week.

You can even choose raw ingredients - meat, mushrooms,veg - and have it cooked fresh on a giant Mongolian hotplate.

Here:
    http://worldcuisinebuffet.co.uk/
    Last edited by Pollycat; 01-03-2017 at 7:54 AM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 1st Mar 17, 8:30 AM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 67,215 Thanks
    VJsmum
    It's a bit like that if you do a buffet for a family (or friends) 'occasion' isn't it? You mentally calculate what you think people will eat, add a bit for good measure but often still run out cos some will have the chicken and the ham and the quiche and several sausage rolls and the pork pie.

Never happens with the salad though.....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 1st Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Does anyone use Olio? It's still early days but hasn't really taken off locally.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    The idea sounds great, but........ for food? Sorry but I find that icky.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 1st Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Prices are reasonable. I'll be paying £10.99 per person for me and my sister next Saturday lunchtime.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Sorry but I find these sorts of buffet wrong on so many levels but as I'm typing on a phone in a foreign country I'll just leave it at that.
    • usernameisvalid
    • By usernameisvalid 1st Mar 17, 9:05 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    usernameisvalid
    Carvery is a popular option here

I was used to the old fashioned carvery where you were offered your choice of meat, then you could help yourself to unlimited vegetables, then I went to a local one here

Basically you can have whatever is being served as a main as long as it fits on the plate. I have seriously seen people take two types of roast, add a portion of cottage pie, and top it with battered cod

Then we have the posher ones, where £20 is an all you can eat carvery. You get a plate for hot starters, a plate for cold, then soup, then mains, then desserts. A plate of starters is enough for me. I remember one time going for Sunday lunch in on and managed to eat one slice of lamb, a bread roll and some salad. They don't work for me. Way too much food offered which once I see it all, my belly revolts and says no way. Rather like if my dinner plate at home is piled high, I can't eat it

We have a Chinese buffet takeaway in town. You pay by box size. If they can get it in the box and get the lid on its fair game. £4.80 is the small that does me and he. We manage half a box of beef on noodles, half the box of chicken and rice, and they fit in 2 ribs and 2 spring rolls. Fills us both right up nicely and neither have had to compromise on our treat, nor pay a fortune to get what we want
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Mar 17, 9:06 AM
    • 17,342 Posts
    • 44,170 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Sorry but I find these sorts of buffet wrong on so many levels but as I'm typing on a phone in a foreign country I'll just leave it at that.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Well, you might find them wrong but eating in them in the way that I do - already described - isn't wrong.
    It's all those gluttons who make it wrong.

ETA:
    I'm not sure why you've just quoted the part of my post that mentions price.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 1st Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    kboss2010
    You might not like the woman but she definitely has a very valid point.
    It's interesting that the poorer the country the less there is a problem with food waste the richer it is the more of an issue it is.

Put a penny on the ground and see how many people stoop to pick it up..... a tiny number of people. Do the same with a £20 note and it's going to be a 100% pick-up rate. When you don't value something it doesn't matter.

Also worth noting that a number of 'all you can eat' buffets have had to introduce a waste charge i.e £1.50/100g for anything taken but not eaten. Not surprisingly waste fell dramatically when people had to pay for it.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    That's great that food waste for buffets is reduced in this way, definitely the way forward in that situation.

The big issue for me with raising prices significantly for all food is that this "one size fits all" approach will disproportionally disadvantage the millions of people in this country who choose between heating and eating, especially given how current politics are about to make a whole lot of us worse off with rising inflation, reduced value of currency and higher prices for imports meaning food prices increasing anyway.

And, for me, it's a very unnecessary way of punishing the poor to pay for the mistakes/greed of those better off. During war time, the whole population learned to stop wasting food and how to manage what they had - why are we not learning these lessons from our grandparents?

It's not that difficult, I'm in my twenties and I learned whilst at uni and living on £70 a week - my OH's parents can't believe we have reduced our food bill from £60 a week to £35 just by batch-cooking meals and not buying things we won't use.

Maybe if we started charging extra for for household waste beyond a reasonable amount per person? I believe that there has been a suggestion of people being fined for putting recyclables in the general waste in some council areas where recycling uptake is low. Perhaps a similar scheme for unused food waste?
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15,078 Posts
    • 122,245 Thanks
    JackieO
    I decided in December 2016 to sort out my food cupboards, fridge and freezer once and for all. I used up practically everything including freezer stock.
    There's only me here and like most people I tend to over buy food.
    So I did a big healthy shop at the end of December and since then I've only restocked up on the things I've used up.
    My cupboards are uncluttered. The freezer has 3 drawers. One for meat and fish, the second for Frozen fruit, ice cream and bread, and the third all Frozen vegetables.
    I do buy fresh fruit and veg too but on a smaller scale.
    My opinion of the bogof's are that them items normally go down to their normal price anyway and on a bogof offer they bump the price up.
    I haven't wasted one single item of food since doing this. And ok I might have a random meal occasionally to use up what's nearly going off. Let the supermarkets keep their stock on their shelves instead of cluttering up mine and it ending out of date and keep the pennies in my purse
    Originally posted by ImDoingItForMe

Well done that lady , you have got the idea and it shows it works .
    Today is the first day and I am on a 'use it up' mission today ,nothing at all needed so Day one is definitely a NSD for me
    Full budget for this month in my food purse is £60.00.
    Onwards and upwards chums Nothing will be binned if its possible to eat this month, and only essentials will be bought

Just had a stock take of my fridge and I'm thinking that using up fresh or about to get past its best stuff first so here is my list of whats in my fridge this morning

1/4 cabbage
    12ozs cheddar cheese
    1/2 pack of soft garlic and herb cheese
    sealed pack of Danish blue cheese OOD 16 /3/17
    small tub greek yogurt, just gone past its BBF date(need to use it asap)
    9 tomatos
    10 eggs
    1 wrinkly red pepper
    1 cucumber
    1 unopened pack of watercress BBF 28/2/17 (yesterday )
    1 romaine lettuce (wrapped in foil to keep fresh as long as possible )
    1 sad looking box of mushrooms (need to use them up asap )
    1 lemon
    3 different bottles of mayo ???(I think left-overs donated after Christmas )
    half a jar of red onion chutney
    half a jar Hollandaise sauce
    half a jar tatare sauce
    500 gms cooking bacon unopened in vacuum pack bbl date 25 /3/17
    6 vacuum pack of beetroot bbf date 2/4/17
    a tiny 80gm tin of coronation tuna (probably fill a jacket spud with it )
    one tuppaware long box of around 2lb peeled spud in water
    plus large 2litres of OJ and several litres of UHT milk and some tins of grapefruit

So a fairly full fridge and I am going to work my way through it using stuff thats really needs to be used asap ,The vacuum packed stuff can be left for a bit longer as its well within date

Mainly I need to use up the pepper, mushrooms cabbage, soft cheese and watercress. Now I have to get my thinking cap on to see what I can do to use this lot up within the next day or so at least.

I did have the tail end of a tub of single cream ,but I used that this morning on my cereal

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 01-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 1st Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 39,018 Thanks
    maryb
    Charging more for excess food waste sounds like a good idea in theory. But my food recycling bin is always fairly full because I prepare from scratch so have lots of veg peelings/broccoli stalks/leek tops etc. I used to compost them but stopped because of the rats. How would you distinguish that from real waste?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 1st Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Charging more for excess food waste sounds like a good idea in theory. But my food recycling bin is always fairly full because I prepare from scratch so have lots of veg peelings/broccoli stalks/leek tops etc. I used to compost them but stopped because of the rats. How would you distinguish that from real waste?
    Originally posted by maryb
    Target the folk who throw away whole packets of food into the general waste. Generally, people who waste large amounts of untouched food don't bother separating it for disposal!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Target the folk who throw away whole packets of food into the general waste. Generally, people who waste large amounts of untouched food don't bother separating it for disposal!
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Where would you separate it into if composting isn't an option?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 1st Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 13,115 Posts
    • 35,904 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Being cynical (moi? - never) and my first thought if there was any attempt by my Council to charge me for any specific waste disposal (food or otherwise) would be "Oh yeah....that's one way to do a surreptitious rise in my Council Tax then" and I honestly think that that is what any rise like that would really be about (and not the stated objective - to me that would just be an excuse they'd used).

But I'm so cynical about this by now that I'm almost betting on finding that my rubbish would only get to be collected every 3 (or even 4) weeks. Hence one of my (more minor) reasons why I want my house "sorted" asap (so that everything that is going to go has gone before it comes to that).
    ploughing my own furrow...

They have lessons in schools these days on resisting peer pressure
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 1st Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    Its a downward spiral I'm sure . This year our council has introduced a £30 charge for fortnightly removal of our green bin (garden waste) and have already muted a charge for the black bin (general waste) Hardly anything goes in mine but I have neighbours who I know throw ridiculous amounts of food away. I dont think you can really change people by charging ...my neighbour bought an extra bin last year so that she would have more chucking away space so 30 quid a year is not going to change any of her habits.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 1st Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 24,699 Thanks
    suki1964
    In Germany they charge for landfill waste by the kilo so it's up to each household to do the separating to keep their bills down

Even if you don't get your own dedicated bin for certain recycling , there will be one in the locality
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 1st Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 9,461 Thanks
    elsiepac
    If I have half a cabbage left over from a dinner, I'll freeze it and use it to add to mashed potatoes in a shepherd's pie - ups your 10 a day count too.
    Ditto cauliflower, I'll either mash it to add to mashed potatoes or blanch/freeze and use it in gobi aloo.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    How do you freeze cabbage please? As it's just me I struggle to get through a whole one and end up eating cabbage for DAYS! I am never sure what leafy things can be frozen or how to do it...!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy and Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: Jul £106.65/£150 | Jun £179.03/£150 | May £158.54/£150 | Apr £316.94/£200 | Mar £170.47/£120 | Feb £199.45/£160 | Jan £199.08/£140 | Dec £187.76/£160 | Nov £260.35/£110
    Vegan 27 Aug 13
    • maryb
    • By maryb 1st Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 39,018 Thanks
    maryb
    I have to confess, there have been occasions when I have found half a bag of salad in the back of the fridge and given it decent burial in the general waste rather than trying to separate the slime from the plastic. But otherwise I recycle evrything
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 17,342 Posts
    • 44,170 Thanks
    Pollycat
    elsiepac
    I just chop it and plunge into a pan of boiling water for 1 minute then take it out, cool it quickly in very cold water, drain well and pop in a freezer box (the type you get from Indian/Chinese takeaways.

I've done this for years with sprouts, cauliflower, carrots and green beans.

It's called 'blanching'.
    I've just googled it and come across this table of timings which suggests I'm blanching for less time than recommended......but it is a US website so I'm going to carry on doing what I've always done.
    After all, I'm still here to tell the tale

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/preserving/vegetables-herbs/blanching-vegetables/
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 15,078 Posts
    • 122,245 Thanks
    JackieO
    re the cabbage if you don't want to eat it straight away wrap the whole of it in tinfoil I have a cabbge of which I only have a quarter left which I bought three weeks ago.But to freeze just dice it up, blanche and freeze in a bag as you would perhaps rhubarb. When I steam some I usually steam enough for two days and have the second portion in a small plastic take-away box with a lid It keeps OK in the fridge and whopped in the microwave is delicious next day(I like to grate a little cheese on top for a bit more flavour)
    Well so far I de-stalked the mushrooms and chopped them up, and had them with some grated cheese in an omelette for lunch with a little bit of salad The rest of them I have peeled and I'm just about to turn them into some soup for lunch tomorrow and possibly Friday if I can streetch it a bit.
    I may dice up the red pepper as well and throw that in as well with some paprika to spice it up a bit, it will help to streetch it and it really needs to be used up today as its pretty wrinkly (a bit like me )

Tonight I have dug out a piece of chicken which is defrosting at the moment I will have it with the last of the cabbage and some potatoes and probably a handful of mixed veg from the freezer as well.The greek yogurt needs to be used so I will dollop some lemon curd in it and mix it up (will be similar to a ('mueller corner)only lemon flavoured probably crunch up some bran flakes small for a bit of a 'bite'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

4,083Users online

Martin's Twitter