Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,781Posts
    • 119,070Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 2
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 28th Feb 17, 11:03 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,391 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    The bolded bit.

I was watching that food programme with Roux Jnr on it which I really quite like but there was a frightfully obnoxious woman on it a few weeks ago with a section waxing lyrical about how food is too cheap and prices should be raised to cut wastage and it made me :mad
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    You might not like the woman but she definitely has a very valid point.
    It's interesting that the poorer the country the less there is a problem with food waste the richer it is the more of an issue it is.

Put a penny on the ground and see how many people stoop to pick it up..... a tiny number of people. Do the same with a £20 note and it's going to be a 100% pick-up rate. When you don't value something it doesn't matter.

Also worth noting that a number of 'all you can eat' buffets have had to introduce a waste charge i.e £1.50/100g for anything taken but not eaten. Not surprisingly waste fell dramatically when people had to pay for it.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 28th Feb 17, 11:09 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 1,391 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Pollycat, I've a friend whose worse then that. She goes through her freezer and anything older then 3 months gets binned
    Originally posted by usernameisvalid
    I have a 2 week rule for any home cooked meal put in the freezer i.e. it has to be eaten within 2 weeks. Vegetables and meat ingredients get a month. Helps keep food at its best and stops the freezer becoming a dumping ground.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 28th Feb 17, 11:26 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    It's interesting that the poorer the country the less there is a problem with food waste the richer it is the more of an issue it is.

Put a penny on the ground and see how many people stoop to pick it up..... a tiny number of people. Do the same with a £20 note and it's going to be a 100% pick-up rate. When you don't value something it doesn't matter.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton

Clearly there are plenty of people who don't value food enough not to waste it, but in a country where there is rising inequality and food poverty we shouldn't be advocating anything that puts more people in the position where they are struggling to afford food. We could do with a system that makes you pay for what you throw out!
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 28th Feb 17, 11:56 AM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 11,059 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I was at a house on Christmas Day for dinner. Everyone left food on their plate, except me, I ate all I was given. Shocking waste.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I have a small appetite and often struggle to clear my plate if I haven't been in control of the portion size. Forcing food down your gullet when you're already full is deeply unpleasant, and unhealthy.

I don't consider it as "waste" if it goes into the food recycling caddies; it gets turned into fertiliser. Other scraps go into my worm bin and give me free compost for the garden.

Another problem with endless cheap food is the strain it puts on the environment and animal welfare. How is it possible for a litre of milk to regularly be cheaper than the equivalent bottle of water?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Feb 17, 12:05 PM
    • 8,268 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I'm a big advocate of food waste reduction so I love this thread.

Subscribing!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Feb 17, 12:15 PM
    • 22,597 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I can't understand why anyone throws any food away. You buy it, it costs money, it's in the house, just chuffin well eat it. Even if you don't fancy it, if you had the same the day before, and the day before that. It's food, it keeps your body alive. People in the world are starving, it's criminal to buy food then chuck it away.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I agree with this, but I have thrown more food out this year than ever before (still not a huge amount though). This is simply because I don't believe in eating when I'm not hungry.

I estimate that I've spent about £20 on food this month.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 28th Feb 17, 1:10 PM
    • 16,622 Posts
    • 41,676 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I agree with this, but I have thrown more food out this year than ever before (still not a huge amount though). This is simply because I don't believe in eating when I'm not hungry.

I estimate that I've spent about £20 on food this month.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse
    Just curious:
    do you menu plan or just do a big weekly/monthly shop and buy what you usually buy every time?

Or have you not been feeling 100% and so not felt like eating?
    I'm still not feeling great after my 2nd bout of flu since New Year's Day and sometimes couldn't be bothered to even decide what to eat.

I enjoy planning menus, looking at recipes and prepping for dinner but just didn't feel like doing it.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Feb 17, 3:14 PM
    • 14,781 Posts
    • 119,070 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi I went to my U3A coffee morning this morning (freebie coffee as I have a loyalty card ) We all we having this discussion about surplus food which we all seem to have in stock at home . I managed to get at least 6 people to agree that until Easter at least l will forgo buying anything in the food department unless it is really necessary i.e. run out of it, and is essential.
    Whilst there, one lady came round to see if anyone wanted her scone which she had been given with her coffee as a freebie including a wrapped pat of butter no one seemed to be interested so I said ,'Well I can't eat it at the moment as I'm not hungry, but I am happy to take it home for lunch (which I did and very nice it was as well.) It would have been left on the table otherwise so Thanks to Peggy for my freebie lunchtime snack

Several of the ladies agreed with me about the waste just being binned and stuck into landfill, most of them seemed to be perhaps more of my generation ( of an age when rationing was the norm)

One rather grand lady said
    'Well my dear if we didn't throw stuff out then shops would start to feel the pinch and wouldn't make a profit and lots of people who worked in them would lose their jobs ' I am still trying to work that one out Bless her I'm sure she meant well

So as tomorrow is the 1st day of the new month I shall be making a note of everything I buy between then and Easter to see exactly how much I have saved by not doing a routine shop. I shall only buy what exacty is required and as I normally budget about £60.00 per month for my food purse it will be interesting to see how many things I can use up first before needing to buy anything else I went through my food stocks after I had my 'freebie ' lunch and I seem to have accumulated quite a bit. Why do I need 16 tins of beans ?? or two cases of UHT milk ?? This has got to be utilised over the next couple of months, its getting really silly

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 28-02-2017 at 3:16 PM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 28th Feb 17, 3:40 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 33,813 Thanks
    monnagran

Also worth noting that a number of 'all you can eat' buffets have had to introduce a waste charge i.e £1.50/100g for anything taken but not eaten. Not surprisingly waste fell dramatically when people had to pay for it.
    I am delighted to hear about the charge made for wasting food at the 'eat all you can' buffets.
    It makes my blood boil at carveries when you see people who pile up their plates to unbelievable heights, balance a couple of Yorkshire puddings on the top and then leave half of it. As one who was born before the war and remembers all to well that people could be prosecuted for throwing away a slice of bread, I can no more waste food than fly.
    I do wonder what I would do if I couldn't make soup though. Anything looking slightly dodgy goes into soup. The taste varies wildly but is usually delicious and if it's not then a spoonful of mint sauce makes it so.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 28th Feb 17, 4:03 PM
    • 12,532 Posts
    • 34,254 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I couldnt quite believe my eyes that some people will pile their plates with 4 days worth of calories at all-you-can-eat buffets.

Personally - it's not the type of place I've been to very often. But, when I do go, I just take my one reasonable plate worth of food I feel I actually need and finish that. On the odd occasion that I want a bit more - then I'll just go and take just that bit extra I'm still feeling hungry for (or that is something I wanted to try - but didnt think I'd have stomach room for originally).

Admitted my reasoning is more along the lines of "I don't want to be the same size they are....eek!" - but I don't think I could physically eat as much as that anyway..
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 28th Feb 17, 4:34 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I don't throw food away but I still think I have food waste because I'm a bit of a hoarder and have far too many things in my store cupboards. I have 5 packets of pasta in my cupboard at the moment. Now there's no way I'm going to use that much in between now and when I next need to visit the shops so 4 of those packets are waste. I will probably buy more before I get down to 1 packet because I'll be in the supermarket and there will be a special offer so I'll think that it's sensible to stock up. But if I never get down to only the one packet that I need at any one time then I'm just paying to store them in my cupboard rather than actually use them.

I've got way too much of nearly everything in my cupboards so I'm working on reducing it to sensible levels. It'll take a while but it'll definitely save me some money.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Feb 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 10,299 Thanks
    caronc
    I don't throw food away but I still think I have food waste because I'm a bit of a hoarder and have far too many things in my store cupboards. I have 5 packets of pasta in my cupboard at the moment. Now there's no way I'm going to use that much in between now and when I next need to visit the shops so 4 of those packets are waste. I will probably buy more before I get down to 1 packet because I'll be in the supermarket and there will be a special offer so I'll think that it's sensible to stock up. But if I never get down to only the one packet that I need at any one time then I'm just paying to store them in my cupboard rather than actually use them.

I've got way too much of nearly everything in my cupboards so I'm working on reducing it to sensible levels. It'll take a while but it'll definitely save me some money.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Hi like you I have far too much in my cupboards and working to to get it down a bit but that's not waste it's surplus two very different things to me anyway. Yes I have more than I can use immediately but will it it get thrown out - absolutely not! To me waste is when perfectly edible food is thrown out or is allowed to go off I manage my fresh and perishable stocks well so waste is minimised and I think that's what is important
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Feb 17, 5:54 PM
    • 22,597 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse
    Just curious:
    do you menu plan or just do a big weekly/monthly shop and buy what you usually buy every time?

Or have you not been feeling 100% and so not felt like eating?
    I'm still not feeling great after my 2nd bout of flu since New Year's Day and sometimes couldn't be bothered to even decide what to eat.

I enjoy planning menus, looking at recipes and prepping for dinner but just didn't feel like doing it.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I usually shop every 8-10 days, depending on when I need milk for tea and coffee. I then add fruit, veg, cheese / plain yoghurt and occasionally bread or potatoes to the basket.

I don't menu plan because I don't eat meals in a conventional sense. Eating out goes hand in hand with work but I don't generally enjoy restaurant food so prefer to have a starter only or give it a miss completely.

It's brocolli, oranges and pears that have had to be binned recently. An incredible 22 NSDs this month!

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 28th Feb 17, 6:18 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,269 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Ginmonster - I made a pasta dish a couple of weeks ago. When tidying up later, after eating and enjoying the meal, I looked at the packet: "Best before end July 2015" !!!!!

Tasted fine. No ill effects!

Obviously If I'd read it first I wouldn't have used it. But it just goes to show.......!
    Last edited by Winchelsea; 28-02-2017 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Error
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Feb 17, 6:59 PM
    • 22,597 Posts
    • 46,746 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just catching up on The 2,000,000 calorie buffet.

This kind of troughing is shocking, it's like a physical assault to the gut

• Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 28th Feb 17, 7:20 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Winchelsea - I have no problems ignoring best before dates, they're just a suggestion after all. Dried and canned food probably lasts forever!

Caron - I know what you mean. Counting over-stocked stores as waste is a different way of looking at it but if I always keep too much in stores then in effect it never gets used even if it never gets thrown out either. If I use 1 packet of pasta at a time but I never have less than 3 in stock then the pasta producer has had to make 2 extra packets just to sit on my shelves. Even if I use those actual packets up, because I replace them so that I've always got 3, in effect the 2 surplus ones are never used. I'm probably not explaining it very well but it makes sense to me at least! :-)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 28th Feb 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 10,299 Thanks
    caronc
    Winchelsea - I have no problems ignoring best before dates, they're just a suggestion after all. Dried and canned food probably lasts forever!

Caron - I know what you mean. Counting over-stocked stores as waste is a different way of looking at it but if I always keep too much in stores then in effect it never gets used even if it never gets thrown out either. If I use 1 packet of pasta at a time but I never have less than 3 in stock then the pasta producer has had to make 2 extra packets just to sit on my shelves. Even if I use those actual packets up, because I replace them so that I've always got 3, in effect the 2 surplus ones are never used. I'm probably not explaining it very well but it makes sense to me at least! :-)
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    Yes makes sense to me too
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 28th Feb 17, 8:24 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 2,720 Thanks
    Bathory
    One of the last times I was at a Chinese 'all you can eat' buffet, we were sitting next to a couple who helped themselves to huge platefuls of food, would eat just a few mouthfuls and then go back to get more. By the time they left there was this big stack of plates piled high with wasted food squashed between them.

I'm not perfect but try to waste as little as possible by keeping meal portions on the small side and any leftovers go into the food caddy which is collected weekly.
    A wise old owl lived in an oak. The more he saw the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Why can't we be like that wise old bird?
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 28th Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    • 5,965 Posts
    • 43,511 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Ultimately food is way way too cheap. How much bread would you throw away if it was a decent £4 loaf as opposed to the industrial rubbish that costs 40p?
    I know this was just an example, but bread for me does cost about this amount. £3 for a loaf that is 2/3 the normal size. Is it special, artisan, hand-crafted with love? Nope, just a gluten-free loaf that, being coeliac, is the better tasting one of all the options. And yes, none of it gets wasted! Dd eats the slices and I get the two crusts.
    NST June #1; NSD 10; Ex 10; craft 89; remove 473
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2189/£4000; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,881 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • ImDoingItForMe
    • By ImDoingItForMe 28th Feb 17, 9:57 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 4,782 Thanks
    ImDoingItForMe
    I decided in December 2016 to sort out my food cupboards, fridge and freezer once and for all. I used up practically everything including freezer stock.
    There's only me here and like most people I tend to over buy food.
    So I did a big healthy shop at the end of December and since then I've only restocked up on the things I've used up.
    My cupboards are uncluttered. The freezer has 3 drawers. One for meat and fish, the second for Frozen fruit, icecream and bread, and the third all Frozen vegetables.
    I do buy fresh fruit and veg too but on a smaller scale.
    My opinion of the bogof's are that them items normally go down to their normal price anyway and on a bogof offer they bump the price up.
    I haven't wasted one single item of food since doing this. And ok I might have a random meal occasionally to use up what's nearly going off. Let the supermarkets keep their stock on their shelves instead of cluttering up mine and it ending out of date and keep the pennies in my purse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

6,853Users online

Martin's Twitter