Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,211Posts
    • 1,228Thanks
    footyguy
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!
    • 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended! 25th Feb 17 at 2:02 PM
    Seems SSE have taken umbrage at Ebico getting into bed with Robin Hood Energy, and the long term partnsership is over:

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close.
    read more here:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
Page 2
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 26th Feb 17, 4:53 PM
    • 3,671 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    Hengus
    Ebico have been going for years and they could carry on with a partnership while waiting for the 22 months to lapse.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    As at 31 Dec 15:

7 employees ( a fall of 3 from the previous year)

Turnover: 1.2M

Salaries: 300k

Profit after Tax: 18k

Raising 0.75M for such a small company might be a bit of a challenge - but it has been done. A bit like Morgan cars, they may just be content to fill a niche corner in the industry.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 27th Feb 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I'm not sure that it's Ebico "failing" the people it exists for. I think it's rather SSE not wanting to be in partnership anymore and therefore Ebico having to find a new partner e.g Robin Hood Energy.

On the other hand, why don't Ebico set themselves up as a proper energy company. If councils can do it all on their own then I don't see why not.
    Rewind a bit and look at the facts:

Ebico started a new partnership with RHE apparently without any prior notice to customers. Then they inform customers that those receiving WHD should stay with their partnership with SSE while those who are not entitled to WHD would be better off changing to the RHE tariff. The reason for the difference is that while SSE provides WHD RHE does not.

Well, it's not really surprising that SSE should call a halt to that: They would be forking out WHD for Ebico's less fortunate customers most likely in receipt of WHD due to fuel poverty while RHE get the profits from better off customers.

That's why Ebico is failing in its goal of helping those who are in danger of fuel poverty. I think Ebico is blinded by RHE's non-profit status. In effect Ebico is splitting its customers into those who are in fuel poverty and those who are better off.

Personally I could say I'm appalled but "disappointed" is a better descriptive word. When I switched from OVO fixed I had the choice of Ebico Equipower variable or Scottish Power fixed for a fiver a year more. What swung it for Ebico was that I pay by monthly direct debit and the discount earned by that DD goes towards pre-pay customers who get an equal tariff. But I'm not sure how Ebico will do that on the new RHE tariff because everyone will be paying a standing charge. (I'm all electric)

Lastly I think SSE will be creaming off Ebico customers and I'm ready to switch to SSE (fixed) exclusively even though the tariff at current prices costs 15 more per year. I sincerely hope that Ebico will be losing customers en masse and if so it serves them right!
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 27th Feb 17, 10:02 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Crimson60
    I have just given up after trying to contact Ebico by telephone. A number of times this morning, after being put on hold for ten minutes per call, a message has come on with their opening times to call back with no option to continue holding. - This is not good - even for a free phone number - the one given in their email.

In their email they say I pay my bill on receipt when I actually pay by direct debit. I would like to rectify this and ask some other questions. (Anthorn - will the new arrangement definitely result in standing charges as I thought from the email that there would be none? As a low user I chose Ebico because there is no standing charge although I am not eligible for warm home payments.)

This is difficult as they say if you are satisfied you need do nothing. If they cannot answer my telephone call I shall have to contact them - perhaps by email.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 27-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 27th Feb 17, 10:26 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    uk1
    I have just given up after trying to contact Ebico by telephone. A number of times this morning, after being put on hold for ten minutes per call, a message has come on with their opening times to call back with no option to continue holding. - This is not good - even for a free phone number - the one given in their email.

In their email they say I pay my bill on receipt when I actually pay by direct debit. I would like to rectify this and ask some other questions. (Anthorn - will the new arrangement definitely result in standing charges? As a low user I chose Ebico because there is no standing charge although I am not eligible for warm home payments.)

This is difficult as they say if you are satisfied you need do nothing. If they cannot answer my telephone call I shall have to quickly find another way of contacting them - perhaps by email if I can locate an Ebico one.

Crimson
    Originally posted by Crimson60
    We have two seperate properties on Ebico tariffs. We received emails for each with a unique code to register online. If you do it gives you the option of staying or going.

Hope that helps.
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 27th Feb 17, 10:32 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Crimson60
    Thanks very much, uk1.

Crimson
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 27th Feb 17, 11:53 AM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Rewind a bit and look at the facts:

Ebico started a new partnership with RHE apparently without any prior notice to customers. Then they inform customers that those receiving WHD should stay with their partnership with SSE while those who are not entitled to WHD would be better off changing to the RHE tariff. The reason for the difference is that while SSE provides WHD RHE does not.

Well, it's not really surprising that SSE should call a halt to that: They would be forking out WHD for Ebico's less fortunate customers most likely in receipt of WHD due to fuel poverty while RHE get the profits from better off customers.

That's why Ebico is failing in its goal of helping those who are in danger of fuel poverty. I think Ebico is blinded by RHE's non-profit status. In effect Ebico is splitting its customers into those who are in fuel poverty and those who are better off.

Personally I could say I'm appalled but "disappointed" is a better descriptive word. When I switched from OVO fixed I had the choice of Ebico Equipower variable or Scottish Power fixed for a fiver a year more. What swung it for Ebico was that I pay by monthly direct debit and the discount earned by that DD goes towards pre-pay customers who get an equal tariff. But I'm not sure how Ebico will do that on the new RHE tariff because everyone will be paying a standing charge. (I'm all electric)

Lastly I think SSE will be creaming off Ebico customers and I'm ready to switch to SSE (fixed) exclusively even though the tariff at current prices costs 15 more per year. I sincerely hope that Ebico will be losing customers en masse and if so it serves them right!
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    I have no idea what WHD is, I don't get it and probably not entitled to it. People like me who work but are on low income living month to month get sweet nothing from the system.

I first went to Ebico for gas when I first got a gas supply in a few years ago. As I didn't know how much I would be using + in the summer months the bills were great due to there being no standing charge.

After doing a comparison last week it looks like Ebico are no longer cheapest for me and I could save 70 a year if I switch to Robin Hood (outright), who I already have my electricity with.

Anyone who thinks Ebico is set up purely to look after the poverty stricken folk are deluded. They all pay nice high salaries to the top men, it's all about the gravy train.
    • Murray D
    • By Murray D 27th Feb 17, 12:58 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Murray D
    Trying to get in touch with SSE today regarding my account which is 30 in credit, I've been "number 1 in the queue" on the online chat for the past half an hour.
    Have read some customer reviews and the news isn't good.
    Hope I can get my money back from these people, I've also e-mailed them so fingers crossed
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 1:01 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy

Anyone who thinks Ebico is set up purely to look after the poverty stricken folk are deluded. They all pay nice high salaries to the top men, it's all about the gravy train.
    How much do you think Ebico actually pay then, even to the top men?

I think you will be shocked when you discover the actual amount. I certainly wouldn't class it as a "nice high salary" for a Managing Director of a company serving over 60,000 customers.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    ... What swung it for Ebico was that I pay by monthly direct debit and the discount earned by that DD goes towards pre-pay customers who get an equal tariff. But I'm not sure how Ebico will do that on the new RHE tariff because everyone will be paying a standing charge. (I'm all electric)

Originally posted by Anthorn
    The Ofgem rules now mean that PPM customers will have to pay a standing charge (the Ofgem rules don't specifically state that, but you cannot make a business case that would work without the application of the standing charge)

In view of that, Ebico are now giving a discount (1%) to those that pay by DD, so presumably they have decided not to cross subsidise anymore. I don't think you can blame Ebico for that change.

I, for one (credit meters, not eligible for WHD) will not be remaining with SSE.
    I'm an MSE'er. I opted for Ebico because it was cheaper. Perhaps not the cheapest down to a fraction of a penny, but no standing charge, paper billing, payment on receipt of bill, etc
    (To me 1% of not much in the first place isn't worth considering, especially when it will probably result in overpaying)

Now they have reduced their prices by about 4.5%, at a time when most suppliers are increasing prices, I can't see why I wouldn't remain with Ebico but now supplied by RHE.
    In fact, Im currently deciding if I should switch a gas supply to them for the summer months - that depends primarily on what I decide prices (by others) will do in about 6 months time.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 1:22 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    I have just given up after trying to contact Ebico by telephone. ...
    They normally are very quick to answer calls.

However, with only a total of 7 employees including directors, they are probably currently snowed under with enquiries at this time of major change
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 1:25 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy

In their email they say I pay my bill on receipt when I actually pay by direct debit. I would like to rectify this and ask some other questions. (Anthorn - will the new arrangement definitely result in standing charges as I thought from the email that there would be none? As a low user I chose Ebico because there is no standing charge although I am not eligible for warm home payments.)...
    Does your email mention a standing charge will be payable? It shouldn't do as a credit meter customer.
    What it should mention is your price reduction (one you are changed over to RHE) and
    Importantly, Robin Hood Energy has also given us an assurance that Ebico's unique zero standing charge approach to home energy billing will remain in place.

Only PPM customers will now have to pay a standing charge as a result of the Ofgem rules affecting PPM customers
    Last edited by footyguy; 27-02-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    We have two seperate properties on Ebico tariffs. We received emails for each with a unique code to register online. If you do it gives you the option of staying or going.

Hope that helps.
    Originally posted by uk1
    Indeed, and it also allows you to opt into Direct Debit with them
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    After doing a comparison last week it looks like Ebico are no longer cheapest for me and I could save 70 a year if I switch to Robin Hood (outright), who I already have my electricity with.
    If, like me, you really want the cheapest, then Ebico for gas was never really the cheapest option unless you were a really low user.

I think I previously calculated anything over about 2200kWh per year could be got cheaper elsewhere than with Ebico.

However, if you only use gas in the winter, the cheapest option (if you can be bothered with the hassle of frequently switching) may well be to take a zero standing cahrge for the summer and switching for the winter

Some downsides to consider:
    1. You need to switch twice a year
    2. You need to think about early exit fees with other suppliers - but there are options without early exit fees.
    3. You'll be concentrating your payments over say 6 months rather than 12, so double the monthly payment (assuming you pay monthl by DD), or face a large final bill when you switch after the winter.
    4. You need to think where prices are heading. If you think prices are going to continue to rise over the next 6 months, then it may be best to lock into a deal now. Otherwise, I would suugest you leave it until the Autumn.
    • Crimson60
    • By Crimson60 27th Feb 17, 4:31 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Crimson60
    Trying to get in touch with SSE today regarding my account which is 30 in credit, I've been "number 1 in the queue" on the online chat for the past half an hour.
    Hope I can get my money back from these people, I've also e-mailed them so fingers crossed
    Originally posted by Murray D
    I'm afraid I still can't get through to to Ebico on the telephone - numerous failed attempts this morning and three attempts this afternoon so far.

I am also in credit but will it be with SSE or Ebico? I think probably SSE as it looks as if new directs may be needed for Ebico under the new arrangement.

It would be helpful to just be able to ask but, so far, this is not possible.

Crimson
    Last edited by Crimson60; 27-02-2017 at 8:41 PM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 27th Feb 17, 4:38 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    uk1
    Originally posted by Murray D
    I have just completed an SSE online form for a refund
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 6:24 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    I'm afraid I still can't get through to to Ebico on the telephone - numerous failed attempts this morning and three attempts this afternoon so far.

I am also in credit but will it be with SSE or Ebico? I think probably SSE as it looks as if new directs may be needed for Ebico under the new arrangement.

It would be helpful to just be able to ask but, so far, this is not possible.

Crimson

Cromson
    It'll be SSE that needs to refund you - it's been SSE you've been paying.

There should be no issues getting through to SSE. It will be SSE that decides if you can have any refund at this stage, and if so, what effect/rise it may have on your monthly payment.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 27th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    I'm not sure how much credit you guys are suddenly so desperate to recover.

I indicated earlier than any gas usage over about 2200kWh (about 100 p.a.) can be purchased cheaper elsewhere if you agree to pay monthly by DD.

As for electricity, if you are willing to pay monthly by DD, I think there is always a cheaper supplier than Ebico Equipower.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 27th Feb 17, 8:30 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    whattochoose
    This is part of Ebico's email to me.....

What does this mean for me?

As a result of our new partnership, the EquiGas / EquiPower tariff will be coming to an end. However, we are delighted to announce that our new tariff - Ebico Zero - will still offer a zero standing charge and, better still, we have negotiated a discount of at least 4.5% to your current energy unit rates, with this price guaranteed until at least December 2017. Any surpluses we make will continue to help the Ebico Trust support community schemes tackling fuel poverty across Britain. Your new terms and conditions can be found at ebico.org.uk/terms and the new energy charges are confirmed below.

If you would like more information about why this is happening please click here.

On your current EquiGas tariff, powered by SSE, your Personal Projection is 39.99. With your new Ebico Zero tariff, powered by Robin Hood Energy, this will be lowered to 38.20, an equivalent of 3.18 per month. Those figures include VAT at 5% and are based on an estimate of your annual consumption. Please see a breakdown of the rates for Ebico Zero below.

It looks like I'll be staying with Ebico in tandem with their new partner Robin Hood Energy. I'll be benefiting from a slight reduction, although being a very light user of gas, the amounts are negligible.
    However, the main point for me as a quarterly, direct debit payer, I will continue to benefit from zero standing charges.
    The only slight grouse I have is that, having a SSE electricity tariff also, which meant my gas and electricity details were viewable on the one website, I'll now have to open a separate online account for my gas supply.
    Not a big deal really, but I'm wondering in future whether it will be a case of checking all my gas details, eg bills, usage, payments made, etc, on the Ebico website (since they require bank details for direct debit if you opt-in), or whether any details should be viewed on the Robin Hood website once you have registered with them?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 28th Feb 17, 9:18 AM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    The Ofgem rules now mean that PPM customers will have to pay a standing charge (the Ofgem rules don't specifically state that, but you cannot make a business case that would work without the application of the standing charge)
    Originally posted by footyguy
    That happened a while ago. Actually Ebico do have a standing charge (for SSE customers) but it's nil. In addition to that direct debit customers and pre-pay customers (on SSE) pay the same price.

If I don't blame Ebico who did in fact initiate this process of moving to RHE who do I blame?

Re: letter, email or whatever: I have still not received an email nor a letter about the changes. Quite frankly if Ebico change me over to RHE without my permission it will be a case for complaint and Ofgem.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 28-02-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    • sheepy123
    • By sheepy123 28th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    sheepy123
    According to Utility Week
    SSE claims Ebico breached the terms of a 20-year partnership by launching a prepay tariff with Robin Hood Energy.
    https ://utilityweek.co.uk/news/fuel-poverty-tariff-sparks-energy-supplier-spat/1296582#breadcrumb
    Last edited by sheepy123; 28-02-2017 at 9:58 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

245Posts Today

2,339Users online

Martin's Twitter