Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,195Posts
    • 14,980Thanks
    oldtractor
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me
    • 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me 23rd Feb 17 at 12:14 PM
    So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
    Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
    Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
    Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
    cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1
Page 9
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 15th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Thanks for the article pop up pirate, Scary! And I suppose frozen stuff is affected by the plastic bags. hmmmm.......
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    It is.
    When a tin of food is eaten in isolation, the toxicity won't harm the average person but when all the tins, all the bagged food, all the additives and preservative etc are all eaten each and every day along with other 'bad' foods such as soy, commercial cereals and refined carbs, its pretty easy to see why we are, as a nation, getting sicker and sicker.

Time the governments took steps I think.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 15th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Yesterday I ended up with spinach omelette 1. Hummus and veggies 5/4, then paella with loads of different veg in - chopped pumpkin, celery, broad beans and peas with some large prawns 3. Snacks were 2 tangerines and a kiwi. So I think I did it.
    Today plans are for breakfast beans on toast and apple juice 2
    Vegetable soup with a roll - celery stick 3 Berry jelly 2 for lunch
    Mushroom strogonoff with brown rice 2 for dinner
    Snacks prunes and kiwi 2
    So around 9 today.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Mrs Muckle
    • By Mrs Muckle 15th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Mrs Muckle
    I read somewhere a while ago that the government suggested 5 a day as they thought that this was the highest amount that people would do, in reality the original amount suggested by government advisors was 12 a day but it was decided that this was not achievable and 5 was a good idea.

I think that if we all ate more fruit and veg and less meat we would be healthier. Years ago we had a diet much higher in veg and the meat in the household was given to the men as they were the ones at work and they needed the protein. The ladies and the kids only had what was left and if that was nothing they had the veg and potatoes and often filled up with bread and the pudding on offer.

I am not suggesting that this is a good way of going on but we could all do with eating less meat. The portion size of meat has increased over the years. People who are saying they cannot afford to eat fruit and veg could maybe afford more if they spent less on the meat part of the meal. A joint of beef in years gone by would have done at least 3 meals but these days we pile our plate with the meat from the Sunday joint and leave very little for the next day or for cold cuts.

Just my thoughts. I am trying to live by this currently and it seems to work.
    Last edited by Mrs Muckle; 15-03-2017 at 7:20 PM. Reason: missed word
    Want to join SPC9
    • katkin
    • By katkin 15th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 7,141 Thanks
    katkin
    It is.
    When a tin of food is eaten in isolation, the toxicity won't harm the average person but when all the tins, all the bagged food, all the additives and preservative etc are all eaten each and every day along with other 'bad' foods such as soy, commercial cereals and refined carbs, its pretty easy to see why we are, as a nation, getting sicker and sicker.

Time the governments took steps I think.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate
    It certainly is scary and a horrifying thought. What would be the solution though? It is so very difficult to live a "clean" life away from any pollutants, packaging and chemicals. Especially when so many are struggling financially.

I sat in my car for nearly an hour this morning in a traffic jam in the city heading to a conference. Petrol fumes everywhere, noise and frustrated drivers stressed out. Thankfully it's not my daily commute, but it does show me how much worse it could be.

Alas, but really I am not complaining, today's food was delicious buffet catering and it was amazing. Plenty of fresh fruit, veggies and salads to choose from as well as indulgent treats. Of course I had a bit of nearly everything. However, I'm down to 5 a day after all that. Eating out / elsewhere / at work is hard going!
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 16th Mar 17, 7:29 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    I read somewhere a while ago that the government suggested 5 a day as they thought that this was the highest amount that people would do, in reality the original amount suggested by government advisors was 12 a day but it was decided that this was not achievable and 5 was a good idea.

I think that if we all ate more fruit and veg and less meat we would be healthier. Years ago we had a diet much higher in veg and the meat in the household was given to the men as they were the ones at work and they needed the protein. The ladies and the kids only had what was left and if that was nothing they had the veg and potatoes and often filled up with bread and the pudding on offer.

I am not suggesting that this is a good way of going on but we could all do with eating less meat. The portion size of meat has increased over the years. People who are saying they cannot afford to eat fruit and veg could maybe afford more if they spent less on the meat part of the meal. A joint of beef in years gone by would have done at least 3 meals but these days we pile our plate with the meat from the Sunday joint and leave very little for the next day or for cold cuts.

Just my thoughts. I am trying to live by this currently and it seems to work.
    Originally posted by Mrs Muckle
    Before "years ago" our diets were made up of mainly meat and vegetables but very little potatoes or bread. Fruit was a rare treat other than apples.

The problem with todays meat consumption is not to do with the actual protein, but the type of meat it is, where its from and what toxins are in it.
    Supermarket mass produced meat is bad for us.

Take beef as an example.
    A cow is born to a mother who never ate any grass, was fed food it wouldn't naturally eat, is fed hormones, antibiotics, vaccinations and artificial additives to boost its "health" (a grass fed diet would eliminate all this)
    That baby cow then endures the same fate and is artificially raised to be the right weight for slaughter in a shorter period of time.

It is that unhealthy, tainted meat that is bad in large amounts.

Go for grass fed meat or organic at least and avoid all meat that has come from hormones or vaccine treated animals.
    Grass fed meat is full of all the essential vits, mins, proteins etc and is not harmful to health.

Another thing that happened before "years ago" and that was people didn't waste any part of the animal.
    Fat was eaten in one form or another. Fat is crucial to health and we have been fed the line that fat is bad for so long that people opt for low fat everything.
    The offal was eaten, the bones were used in soups and stocks,

Every part of an animal provides us with everything we need to live a healthy and happy life.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 16th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    It certainly is scary and a horrifying thought. What would be the solution though? It is so very difficult to live a "clean" life away from any pollutants, packaging and chemicals. Especially when so many are struggling financially.

I sat in my car for nearly an hour this morning in a traffic jam in the city heading to a conference. Petrol fumes everywhere, noise and frustrated drivers stressed out. Thankfully it's not my daily commute, but it does show me how much worse it could be.

Alas, but really I am not complaining, today's food was delicious buffet catering and it was amazing. Plenty of fresh fruit, veggies and salads to choose from as well as indulgent treats. Of course I had a bit of nearly everything. However, I'm down to 5 a day after all that. Eating out / elsewhere / at work is hard going!
    Originally posted by katkin
    I think one way to take steps in the right direction would be to tax any food stuffs that contain more than one ingredient which would maybe steer people towards buying wholesome foods.
    They taxed cigarettes because they were 'bad' and the money was needed for the NHS, but today's diets are costing the NHS far more.

I also think proper cookery lessons need to come back to schools and kids need food education.

Maybe they can ban the use of plastic packaging for food items

It's a difficult situation with no easy fix though.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 16th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    fell off the waggon a bit yesterday but think IU managed 8. some of it was repeat I had 1 and a half grapefruits. hey-ho
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 16th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Fruittea
    All good for yesterday and wasn't it a grand day.
    Today will be eggs and toms breakfast with apple juice 1.
    Lunch left over veggie paella 3/4 -berry jelly 2.
    Dinner veggie sausages and onion gravy, mash with peas and broccoli 3.
    Snacks orange and kiwi maybe some prunes 2.
    I'll be working hard on the allotment this morning and dog walking later so will need lots of energy.

• oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 16th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    so far its been a grapefruit some sultanas a kiwi fruit. sardines on toast for lunch. am having to eat up things til weekend. it will be veg soup or veg and rice for dinner later. So might only manage 6 today :-(
    Trying for 10 a day
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 16th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4317810/Veggies-lower-stress-levels-five-percent.html
    Trying for 10 a day
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 11,568 Thanks
    villagelife
    Thank you for starting this thread . Haven't been posting but making an effort to eat 10 a day and have been achieving at least 10( some days more) on all but 2 days. I have brought a wider variety of veg of different colours and the same with fruit.
    I find its easier in warm weather when salad always tastes better especially when home grown.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 17th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Not doing very well today. Sausage and egg for breakfast 0.
    Lunch out with friends - halloumi and squash wrap with a tiny side salad 2 at most. And feel too stuffed to have my usual dessert and fruit. Don't usually do much bread at lunch!
    Dinner is planned to be seared scallops with rice but I think it will now be with a stir fry medley of broccoli, courgette and peas. So only 5 veg for me today unless I can squeeze down some fruit. I'll try to get back on track tomorrow.
    We should all be feeling very chilled Oldtractor.

• Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 17th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,269 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Keeping on track.Have consumed 8 already today:
    Dates, banana, leek, carrot, red cabbage, celery, peas, apple.
    Easy meal tonight, with baked beans and tomatoes.
    = 10!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 20th Mar 17, 12:18 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Back on track and eating at home which helps.
    Yesterday:
    Toms, mushrooms and eggs for breakfast 1
    Lunch salmon sandwich with cucumber and side salad 1 Berry jelly 2.
    Dinner green lentil and courgette bake with roast potatoes and spring greens 5. Orange 1.
    Today is almost the same:
    Toms, mushrooms and eggs for breakfast 1
    Lunch salmon sandwich with cucumber and side salad 1 Berry jelly 2.
    Dinner charred cauliflower curry with brown rice and a medley of stir fry veg 6. Blood orange 1.

• MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 5,782 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am still falling into the sub 10 camp but I am definitely eating more as a result of this challenge. I have just changed tonight's menu from kedgeree to pilaff as I can get a lot more veg in a pilaff.

breakfast berries - 1
    salad leaves, cherry toms, raw mushrooms, cucumber, spring onion at lunch - 2
    strawberries - 1
    pilaff - 3
    broccoli - 1

8 in total
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 20th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    I think we are all doing well. Cheers everyone
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 20th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,269 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    My son's DGF is Japanese. She cooked lunch for us yesterday.
    We had five courses:
    1. Chick pea and (various) mixed vegetable soup
    2. Mixed salad, somewhere between a green salad and a coleslaw
    3. A baked savoury dish with a sourdough bread base, vegs including mushrooms and peas, melted cheese on top
    4. Little pots of fruit salad, including plums, cherries, peach, banana, and a slice of lime on top.
    5. Lemon drizzle cake.

Very nice, and we had well over our ten fruits and vegs!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 21st Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    sounds lovely Wincelsea
    today so far
    brkfst was apple and pear with yoghurt lunch will be half a grapefruit HM butternetsquash and sweet potato with butter beans curried soup followed by fresh pineapple I make that 7 portions. Dinner will be something with spinach as it needs using up. Also had a HMscone with lots of cherries and sultanas in it together with HM jam so another portion there should make 10 quite easily today
    Trying for 10 a day
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 21st Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 5,782 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    breakfast berries - 1
    butternut & carrot soup - 1.5
    grilled courgette & peppers - 2
    2 plums - 1
    cavolo nero, butternut squash, sugar snap peas, sweet potato - 4

9.5 in total
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 21st Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Breakfast was eggs on toast 0. Lunch cheese salad around 5 - berry jelly 2. Dinner will be veggie Bolognese with spaghetti - ingredients include red lentils, carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes around 5. Blood orange for a snack - so an easy 10 for me today.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,751Users online

Martin's Twitter