Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,196Posts
    • 14,987Thanks
    oldtractor
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me
    • 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me 23rd Feb 17 at 12:14 PM
    So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
    Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
    Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
    Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
    cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1
Page 3
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 24th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    My common sense tells me to be guided by the advice given by the
    NHS rather than personal opinions so will stick to their list.
    Originally posted by meg72
    The NHS tell us all kinds of things are ok to eat and they aren't or tell us not to eat things that are perfectly healthy.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 24th Feb 17, 3:06 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    May I join in please. I eat paleo for health reasons, no grains so I do quite well with the f&v.

I would really love some breakfast ideas.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I eat basically Paleo /ketogenic.

For breakfast I eat anything really. I've taken my mind out of the notion that we must have 'breakfast foods' for breakfast.
    Some of the things i have are:
    Bacon and Eggs
    Smoked fish and poached eggs
    Veggie omelette
    100% meat sausage with saurkraut
    Fruit salad with HM fruit sauce
    Pho (beef broth with veggies and a little beef)
    Pancakes with fruits (not often as Paleo flours are high carbs)
    Fried sweet potato with onion and pork
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Feb 17, 3:14 PM
    • 23,545 Posts
    • 49,275 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The NHS tell us all kinds of things are ok to eat and they aren't or tell us not to eat things that are perfectly healthy.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate
    The NHS offers excellent advice, just not when it comes to the public's dietary choices. It's still steered by what the food industry finds profitable (which coincidentally raises revenue for the treasury) which is an absolute disgrace
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 24th Feb 17, 3:14 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,987 Thanks
    oldtractor
    brkfst an apple and an orange = 2
    lunch a large lunch today a bowl of veg and lentil soup and a large salad with extra tomato and beetroot and some turkey slices, quite a feast =5
    dinner will be bacon, beans,tomatoes,beetroot and spinach followed by stewed gooseberries = 4
    total =11
    Trying for 10 a day
    • *Margaret*
    • By *Margaret* 24th Feb 17, 3:30 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    *Margaret*
    I saw this, it's about people who already eat 10 a day and how they do it. Thought it might be of interest to some of you

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/24/meet-people-eat-10-portions-fruit-vegetables-day
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 24th Feb 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    Thanks for the great ideas. Since I love my veg, salad and fruit I think I can do this within 1,200- 1,500 cals.

Can we thing of the cost, how to make it as cheap as possible and easy to do, taste good too. I'm lucky enough to have a good stock cupboard of herbs, spices and condiments but it you'll be great to get an agreed menu plan out there that maybe MSE could promote in response to this 10 a day call....at what cost?

I don't always have much to space £s on extras, if I can manage this minimally and whatnot I think there's something in that for us to promote to help others.

Thankfully I love cabbage!
    Originally posted by katkin

A little while ago I made myself a list of various fruit and veg with the price per portion - only a few months ago so should be fairly current. I can post that as a starting point? It's pretty biased towards things I like to eat but we could all add to it.

If we do priced up recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner with 3+ portions in each (maybe 2 for breakfast?), folks could mix and match and add a piece of fruit as a snack/dessert to get to 10?
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 24th Feb 17, 4:21 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,987 Thanks
    oldtractor
    I saw this, it's about people who already eat 10 a day and how they do it. Thought it might be of interest to some of you

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/24/meet-people-eat-10-portions-fruit-vegetables-day
    Originally posted by *Margaret*
    Thank you
    Trying for 10 a day
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 24th Feb 17, 6:18 PM
    • 10,076 Posts
    • 56,655 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Thank you so much for the breakfast ideas. Will get cracking tomorrow. Have managed 5 so far, will add another some salad and some fruit for supper, so should make 8.

So if I can add a couple of portions for breakfast I should do it comfortably tomorrow.

Will definitely have a go at smoothies too.
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 24th Feb 17, 8:06 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Adding up:
    Breakfast - handful of sultanas with my bran flakes.
    Snack - Apple
    Lunch - large salad with mixed nuts - lettuce, big splat of HM coleslaw, 3 cherry tomatoes, beetroot.
    Snack - banana.
    Evening meal - omelette, with rice and a large stir fry containing onion, garlic, carrot, homegrown mung bean sprouts, green and red cabbage, chopped celery and tomato. Five dried apricots.

I think that's 10. The stir fry was the size of at least three portions.

This is pretty much how I always eat. I've known for years that nine a day is the aim in Australia, so have been guided by that. Saying that, there are always some days that don't quite hit the target.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 24th Feb 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    melanzana
    A fizzy multivitamin from Aldi about a pound for twenty. Sorted.

Fekk sake, all this Nanny State stuff is boring. One sponsored College research graduate after another espousing this and that, well they have to justify their existence after all and come up with something I suppose. But we don't have to listen either!

Five a day is achievable. Anything else is a bonus but not an imperative.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 24th Feb 17, 9:51 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Thank you so much for the breakfast ideas. Will get cracking tomorrow. Have managed 5 so far, will add another some salad and some fruit for supper, so should make 8.

So if I can add a couple of portions for breakfast I should do it comfortably tomorrow.

Will definitely have a go at smoothies too.
    I forgot to say, when I do breakfasts, I have spinach and mushrooms with things like bacon and egg, so more veggies there.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 25th Feb 17, 8:21 AM
    • 10,076 Posts
    • 56,655 Thanks
    lessonlearned

Thanks for the link, very interesting and lots of ideas on how to up the f&v content with very little effort.

The people who live in the island of OKinawa (Japan) are one of the healthiest and longest lived. They rack up around 17 portions of f&v a day.

THanks pirate.....ad much as I love spinach I do t think I could face it for breakfast. I could hide it in a smoothie. I shall be adding mushrooms and tomatoes to my breakfast today.

I didn't grow much in the way of vegetables last year, left it a bit late in the season, but I will definitely try again this year. Going to buy one of these temporary mini greenhouses and try and make an earlier start.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 25-02-2017 at 8:28 AM.
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 25th Feb 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 8,905 Thanks
    phizzimum
    When I read the article on the BBC I knew there'd be a thread here!

Beautiful Raven, I think your post summed things up well. I also judge a portion by the size of a cupped palm - works for all ages and sizes.

10 is no more of a magic number than 5, but I guess it helps to have a goal. focusing on eating a variety of colours, tastes and textures makes eating a pleasure and will ensure we're all getting a good balance.

Hopefully this thread will encourage us all to keep making healthy choices and we can sure our ideas and recipes
    weaving through the chaos...
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 25th Feb 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 8,905 Thanks
    phizzimum

Great article full of common sense
    weaving through the chaos...
    • PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 25th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    PenguinOfDeath
    Yesterday's intake...

1 apple
    1 banana
    1 sandwich with cranberry sauce on it?!
    Glass of pure apple juice
    An Oriental meal including veggies

4 portions at a push I'd say
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 25th Feb 17, 10:57 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Well yesterday I ate out and knew it would be a fish based diet. I'm having a bit of a guess here.
    Shredded wheat - does wheat count as a veg?
    Garlic prawns 0
    Cod, raita, pak chow and kale cucumber spinach salad and potatoes 4
    Slice of bread and fish paste for late night snack.
    Not a fruit in sight as I was too stuffed to east any dinner after the lunch.
    Today will be a home based diet so breakfast egg on toast - 0
    Will have salad with at least 8 different veggies for lunch:
    2 different lettuces
    carrot
    spring onion
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Spinach
    gherkin
    olives
    avocado
    Only small portions of each but I'd say equivalent to 4 veg
    I always like a good mixed salad and usually use sprouting seeds as well. 2 blood oranges and a banana - 3
    Then tonight I plan a veggie pizza bit like the one Meg 72 posted. So I'd say around 3/4.
    That will be me done today.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 25th Feb 17, 1:10 PM
    • 13,651 Posts
    • 37,108 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks for the link, very interesting and lots of ideas on how to up the f&v content with very little effort.

The people who live in the island of OKinawa (Japan) are one of the healthiest and longest lived. They rack up around 17 portions of f&v a day.

THanks pirate.....ad much as I love spinach I do t think I could face it for breakfast. I could hide it in a smoothie. I shall be adding mushrooms and tomatoes to my breakfast today.

I didn't grow much in the way of vegetables last year, left it a bit late in the season, but I will definitely try again this year. Going to buy one of these temporary mini greenhouses and try and make an earlier start.
    I am so trying not to be envious of you for being able to put up a temporary mini greenhouse - living in windy West Wales.

Still - I now have a permanent type distinctly small greenhouse - so I'm hoping for great things from it.

17 portions a day - my mind is boggling how they do it.

The second bit of that sentence was a downer though. The one about "living longer".

By now I just go off and go "Agh" somewhere quietly (you know the image I guess - the current tv advert of a man going off and putting his head in a cupboard and having a good scream and then reappearing looking normal) whenever that comment comes up on anything, ie the one that goes "Be healthier and live longer" on anything.

I have yet to see the version of that I personally want - which goes "Be healthier - full stop" and I'm there thinking "Now just how am I supposed to get 'healthier' without also getting the 'live longer' bit chucked in with it?".

That is a serious question. I do want/strive for good health (or what other people might call "perfect health") - but I seriously do NOT want to "live longer" chucked in with it. That would count as = "Damn....that's a downside" to me personally. I want the good health - and do not want any length at all added to my life personally. My head hurts as to how one gets the first - without getting landed with the second.
    #MeToo
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 25th Feb 17, 2:12 PM
    • 10,076 Posts
    • 56,655 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I get you Money.

But surely if we are healthier then "old age" won't hold such terrors......

I totally agree if living longer means getting frail, wheelchair or bedbound, and being in pain and discomfort then it ain't going to be much fun.

However if it means staying strong, supple, flexible, healthy, and vigourous then bring it on.

Re the Okinawans, they eat mainly a plant based diet, some fish, a little chicken but hardly any red meat and no dairy. They have a special mushroom which provides protein and which they eat daily.

I watched a programme about it, very interesting. In their 90s and low 100s they were as fit as fleas, tending their gardens, taking care of themselves, walking and doing yoga or tai chi every day.

When they were ready to die their decline was relatively swift, painfee and peaceful, often just simply passing in their sleep.

Nice way to go.

I often think that we could learn a lot from some of these simpler and less materialistic societies. They seem to lead far less stressful lives and often seem much happier than their counterparts here in the West.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 25th Feb 17, 3:26 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 105,255 Thanks
    LameWolf
    What is a small portion to one is huge to others.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    This. I can happily eat 5 different types of F&V in a day, but no way can I eat the portion sizes to make it count as "5-a-day", so from that, 10 is completely out of the question.

Also, I find if I think too much about what I'm about to eat, I lose any vestige of appetite completely, and end up not eating at all. (Oh, and I hate smoothies - can't abide the thick texture. I mostly drink tap water, tea with lemon in as opposed to milk, and black coffee).

But I do wish everyone trying for this all the very best.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 25th Feb 17, 4:05 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 10,366 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    10+ a day is normal for me. Yesterday was an oddity at only 7 portions but due to how bad I was due to my disability I only had breakfast (3), a snack (1) and dinner (tin mexican bean soup counted as 1, OH added sweetcorn and peas for me, so 3), no lunch.
    Breakfast today has seen me have blueberries, raspberries, apple and a banana with porridge and soya yogurt - 4.
    During the rest of the day I will have carrots, courgette, cucumber, broccoli, parsnips, tomatoes, peas, sweetcorn, kale, celeriac, red cabbage, onion, mushrooms and lentils - 14. I will have that with rice as a spicy vegetable rice dish for both lunch and dinner.

So by the end of the day I will have had 18 portions minimum with most being vegetables that are very low calorie. Yes the portions are weighed so I know they are portions.
    The more fruit and vegetables the better.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin