Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,196Posts
    • 14,984Thanks
    oldtractor
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me
    • 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me 23rd Feb 17 at 12:14 PM
    So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
    Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
    Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
    Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
    cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Feb 17, 1:54 PM
    • 23,214 Posts
    • 48,459 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 23rd Feb 17, 1:54 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 1:54 PM
    Lol I think I'll sit this one out. I started a 5-a-day thread last year, but these days struggle to eat one small meal a day.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 23rd Feb 17, 2:14 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 24,445 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:14 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:14 PM
    I think I eat pretty healthy and loads of fruit and veg but think I might struggle. However, let's give this a go.

Remember one portion for adults is 80g so 800g a day needed, here's the link to the "rules" https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-counts-five-day Just multiply by 2

I had malted wheats and blueberries = 1
    1/2 a mango for snack = 1
    veg salad for lunch = 2
    2 small blood oranges for snack = 1
    Chicken pie with beans = 2 (apparently onions count)

That means I have to find another 3 today

Just checked, mushrooms count too, thats 3 for dinner then
    Last edited by thriftylass; 23-02-2017 at 2:17 PM.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 23rd Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    Most people struggle to do 5 a day. This is just madness.
    • *Margaret*
    • By *Margaret* 23rd Feb 17, 2:37 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 1,019 Thanks
    *Margaret*
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:37 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:37 PM
    I usually get between 3 and 6 per day, I am not sure I could manage 10 and I'm a vegetarian. I worry a bit that people will see it's 10 a day now and just give up altogether. Good luck to anyone trying this though, will be interested to see how much it costs.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 23rd Feb 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 24,445 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:53 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:53 PM
    I too think it's rather unrealistic even for a healthy person.

But looking at the "rules" you'd be surprised what counts. Didn't expect to see mushrooms, onions, sweet potato, tinned tomatoes, pulses. So taking that into account it shouldn't be about cost. Unless you eat just cornflakes, chicken nuggets, and pizza (even that has tomatoes, onions etc on it and taken together counts as 1) all day I struggle to see how anybody could be under 3 or 2 even under a strict budget.

For me trying for 10 it's just a bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 23-02-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd Feb 17, 4:09 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,249 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 23rd Feb 17, 4:09 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 4:09 PM
    It's not JUST 10 a day - you have to have a minimum of specific quantities too. It'd be easy to have 10 a day if you could choose your own quantities.

So, do you know the quantities? Are you weighing out yours correctly?

Today I had some onion on a pizza .... but it was more like 1/20th of an onion, not the half that is a portion.
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Feb 17, 4:15 PM
    • 16,646 Posts
    • 99,410 Thanks
    maman
    • 23rd Feb 17, 4:15 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 4:15 PM
    I too think it's rather unrealistic even for a healthy person.

But looking at the "rules" you'd be surprised what counts. Didn't expect to see mushrooms, onions, sweet potato, tinned tomatoes, pulses. So taking that into account it shouldn't be about cost. Unless you eat just cornflakes, chicken nuggets, and pizza (even that has tomatoes, onions etc on it and taken together counts as 1) all day I struggle to see how anybody could be under 3 or 2 even under a strict budget.

For me trying for 10 it's just a bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously.
    Originally posted by thriftylass

In some respects I was a bit surprised with sweet potatoes but not the others.

I think it was cruciferous veg (broccoli, cauliflower etc) that were the healthiest option.

I eat loads of veg (not much of a fruit fan) but if wanted to eat 10 x 80g portions in a day I'd have to start snacking between meals and I don't want to do that.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 23rd Feb 17, 4:25 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    oldtractor
    • 23rd Feb 17, 4:25 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 4:25 PM
    Thanks for the link THRIFTYLASS. I'm surprised at how little of some count as a portion. Should be quite do-able I think. I already eat in excess of 5 most days so ditching the puddings and cake for something helthier to up the amount should give good benefits
    Trying for 10 a day
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 23rd Feb 17, 4:28 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 24,445 Thanks
    thriftylass
    It's not JUST 10 a day - you have to have a minimum of specific quantities too. It'd be easy to have 10 a day if you could choose your own quantities.

So, do you know the quantities? Are you weighing out yours correctly?

Today I had some onion on a pizza .... but it was more like 1/20th of an onion, not the half that is a portion.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    But adding the mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes it probably adds up to 80g and 1 portion.

As you can see in the link some portions are rather small like 3 teaspoons of peas.

And yes as said before 10 is excessive and hard to follow. But for an average healthy-ish diet I thought having some fruit and veg is easy to achieve and doesn't break the bank. Unless you eat beige there is hardly any recipe that does not include veg, onions, mushrooms etc. Add one or two pieces of fruit and a glass of juice and viola 5 should be easy on a good day.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 23-02-2017 at 4:37 PM.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 23rd Feb 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 6,662 Thanks
    melanzana
    This message puts people off I think.

Three a day is very achievable, so is five. But 10 a day I think, will really put a guilt trip on people who maybe cannot afford a lot of fruit and veg. Or who maybe also don't really like them much either!

Of course we should incorporate both fruit and veg into our diets, but FGS with that amount of roughage I reckon the 10 a dayers will be spending a lot of time in the loo!

I just eat what I fancy. No takeaways, no sweet things, a glass of wine with dinner every single night, and if I don't fancy veg or fruit I don't really care.

There are multivitamins for that gap!
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 23rd Feb 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 5,956 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I usually have between five and seven portions most days. I slip at weekends or when DH is at home all day as he prefers a bacon sandwich type lunch rather than my usual bowl of veg soup or salad.

We are away this weekend visiting family and I'll be lucky if I get two a day. It's much easier to eat healthier if we eat at home. So few restaurant meals come with a decent portion of veg and side salads often contain raw onion which I hate.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd Feb 17, 6:24 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 45,168 Thanks
    meg72
    Most people struggle to do 5 a day. This is just madness.
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    Not at all I really don't understand why some people struggle.

This is my dinner for tonight and counts as five on its own.

There are recipes her to get your 5 a day in one meal.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7742/fiveaday-tagine
    Last edited by meg72; 23-02-2017 at 6:31 PM.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd Feb 17, 6:26 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 45,168 Thanks
    meg72
    So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
    Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
    Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
    Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
    cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1
    Originally posted by oldtractor
    Great idea and yes I will join you.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Feb 17, 6:42 PM
    • 23,214 Posts
    • 48,459 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Not at all I really don't understand why some people struggle.

This is my dinner for tonight and counts as five on its own.

There are recipes her to get your 5 a day in one meal.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7742/fiveaday-tagine
    Originally posted by meg72
    I don't see this as 5: it's 3 at a push. But then to me mushroom is a protein, and banana a carbohydrate.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd Feb 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 45,168 Thanks
    meg72
    I don't see this as 5: it's 3 at a push. But then to me mushroom is a protein, and banana a carbohydrate.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    What list are you using?

On everyone I have looked at comes out as 5.

100g mushrooms 1
    1 tomato 1
    100g baked beans 1
    100g pineapple 1
    1 banana 1

Mushrooms and Banana are both on the lists. Mushroom is a veg and banana a fruit.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 23rd Feb 17, 6:50 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a try. I think I do it most days as I have a plant and fish based diet. This was me today.
    Beans on toast 3
    Slice of veg pizza and mixed salad 3
    Banana 1
    Veggie paella with a whole heap of different veg 3
    Plum crumble with about 10 plums 2?
    A couple of my numbers are guestaments as I'm not sure of the amounts and if cooking the plums makes a difference.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge £0.00/£150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd Feb 17, 6:58 PM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 45,168 Thanks
    meg72
    Sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a try. I think I do it most days as I have a plant and fish based diet. This was me today.
    Beans on toast 3
    Slice of veg pizza and mixed salad 3
    Banana 1
    Veggie paella with a whole heap of different veg 3
    Plum crumble with about 10 plums 2?
    A couple of my numbers are guestaments as I'm not sure of the amounts and if cooking the plums makes a difference.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    As I understand it cooking makes no difference but plums will only count as 1 no matter how many you eat. likewise the beans only count as 1.
    Last edited by meg72; 23-02-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • caronc
    • By caronc 23rd Feb 17, 7:16 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    This is quite helpful http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/FAQs.aspx and my understanding from this is that while as wide a variety as possible is best unless it is juice, beans/pulses or processed veg e,g, tinned soup which can only ever count as one, the rest can count as more than one portion e.g 2 apples counts as two portions.
    To be honest I think I'd struggle with 10 portions (800g) but most of the time meet/exceed five easily (though the last couple of days have been rubbish due to being unwell so have only managed 3 or 4)
    Will follow and try and up my overall consumption but 10 feels a bit undoable for me personally and I'm not keen on smoothies (it's a texture thing) so know I wouldn't manage to boost that way
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd Feb 17, 7:25 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,249 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    But adding the mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes it probably adds up to 80g and 1 portion.
    As it was, that pizza's most of what I'll eat today - if I added in all those extras it WOULD be all I could eat/manage... and 1 portion nailed out of 10.

What is a small portion to one is huge to others.

Although - I think it needs to be linked to calories.

I think, for my height/weight, I should be aiming for HALF portions of each of them, to be honest.

Otherwise it simply doesn't make mathematical sense.

Unless you eat beige
    I do, mostly. I've just had my tea: 2 bits of toast and 5g of cheese.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin