Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • serenaly
    • By serenaly 21st Feb 17, 3:49 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 314Thanks
    serenaly
    Pip assessment
    • 21st Feb 17, 3:49 PM
    Pip assessment 21st Feb 17 at 3:49 PM
    Well I received my face to face assessment appointment which was very conveniently 35 miles away from my house!!
    I suffer from PTSD, severe anxiety and depression and do not own a car or drive, there is no way that I could make a journey of that length on public transport or cab with a stranger. However I phoned the number and they were very good and arranged a new appointment that was around the corner from me. Which begs the question why on earth would you try and send people 36 miles away for their appointment?
Page 1
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 21st Feb 17, 4:03 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:03 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:03 PM
    Well I received my face to face assessment appointment which was very conveniently 35 miles away from my house!!
    I suffer from PTSD, severe anxiety and depression and do not own a car or drive, there is no way that I could make a journey of that length on public transport or cab with a stranger. However I phoned the number and they were very good and arranged a new appointment that was around the corner from me. Which begs the question why on earth would you try and send people 36 miles away for their appointment?
    Originally posted by serenaly
    I went for a DLA assessment and not having anyone to go with me who could drive, I did what they said. They included a map and full instructions on how to get there independently. Two bus journeys totalling 1hr 20mins and then a 800 metre (1/2 mile) walk from the nearest bus stop to the assessing centre.
    I was asked at the assessment how I had got here so told them in accordance with the map and instructions they sent me with the appointment letter - BAD decision

They used that against me saying that I could use public transport and could walk at least 1/2 mile!
    What the **** did they expect me to do, not show up?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    First appointments are computer generated and do tend to send people further away than they need to. You can change this appointment but only once, good thing you've done that. Good luck.
    • serenaly
    • By serenaly 21st Feb 17, 4:36 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    serenaly
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:36 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:36 PM
    Ahh well that makes sense Poppy12345, thanks, I did wonder and they wanted me there at 9.15!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st Feb 17, 4:40 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:40 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:40 PM
    Ahh well that makes sense Poppy12345, thanks, I did wonder and they wanted me there at 9.15!
    Yes that's mostly what they send out. They did it to me last year at my review for PIP. Wanted me to travel 60 miles...no thanks. A quick call later all sorted appointment changed.
    • easy
    • By easy 22nd Feb 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 2,548 Thanks
    easy
    • 22nd Feb 17, 5:57 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 5:57 PM
    I went for a DLA assessment and not having anyone to go with me who could drive, I did what they said. They included a map and full instructions on how to get there independently. Two bus journeys totalling 1hr 20mins and then a 800 metre (1/2 mile) walk from the nearest bus stop to the assessing centre.
    I was asked at the assessment how I had got here so told them in accordance with the map and instructions they sent me with the appointment letter - BAD decision

They used that against me saying that I could use public transport and could walk at least 1/2 mile!
    What the **** did they expect me to do, not show up?
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    yes but ... quite clearly you could use public transport and walk 1/2 a mile. They didn't "Use it against you", you proved that you were capable of doing it. Given that the exact purpose of the assessment is to find out if you are capable of such things, you gave them evidence.

Presumably they assumed that anyone not able to comply with the instructions to get to the assessment centre would ring to change the appointment (and explain that their disability made it impractical/impossible to get to that venue).
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 23rd Feb 17, 10:04 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 23rd Feb 17, 10:04 AM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 10:04 AM
    yes but ... quite clearly you could use public transport and walk 1/2 a mile. They didn't "Use it against you", you proved that you were capable of doing it. Given that the exact purpose of the assessment is to find out if you are capable of such things, you gave them evidence.

Presumably they assumed that anyone not able to comply with the instructions to get to the assessment centre would ring to change the appointment (and explain that their disability made it impractical/impossible to get to that venue).
    Originally posted by easy
    Well it was pretty obvious that I could do it, but no consideration was given by them for the state that I was in afterwards! They also didn't know that the return journey was impossible I had to get a taxi, pay for it myself instead of using the two buses. It took days afterwards to get back to some level of normality with regards to the pain and mental torture.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 23rd Feb 17, 5:46 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    • 23rd Feb 17, 5:46 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 5:46 PM
    Unfortunately for you the assessor likely lacked psychic powers. Only you know the full extent of your condition and how it affects you day to day.

It was up to you to plan/explain accordingly.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 23rd Feb 17, 7:34 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    • 23rd Feb 17, 7:34 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 7:34 PM
    Unfortunately for you the assessor likely lacked psychic powers. Only you know the full extent of your condition and how it affects you day to day.

It was up to you to plan/explain accordingly.
    Originally posted by Tommo1980
    I did surprisingly enough, all of that information was described in detail on the claim form backed up with good medical evidence.
    It was a bit late in the day to send them a report after I had arrived back home as to how the journey had affected me.

Besides which if the assessor had been any part good it would have been apparent to all considering how I looked. But my answer was recorded and the assessor just moved on to another subject - social & work history without seeking any further information or questioning.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 24th Feb 17, 6:46 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    So you should have either rebooked your assessment at a centre closer to you, arranged with the provider to take a taxi or have a home assessment.

It was not a conspiracy to test you, it is just the way the process works. We are all just faceless numbers in the system. There is nothing personal about it, despite our inherently paranoid natures telling us otherwise.

Tom
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 24th Feb 17, 9:11 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    So you should have either rebooked your assessment at a centre closer to you, arranged with the provider to take a taxi or have a home assessment.

It was not a conspiracy to test you, it is just the way the process works. We are all just faceless numbers in the system. There is nothing personal about it, despite our inherently paranoid natures telling us otherwise.

Tom
    Originally posted by Tommo1980
    The simple answer is that I didn't know that the centre could be changed - there is nothing advising you of that on either the ATOS website or in the notes/letters etc received from the assessor/DWP.
    Maybe there should be information of that nature available.

To me all of this seems to be about playing a game. If I did that, if I did this - how would it be interpreted by the assessor/DWP.
    As for a home assessment, that is available only to those that have their GP visit them at home as they cannot get to the surgery - I don't fit that category.
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 24th Feb 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    It's how they are reducing benefits, if you can travel you can work.only tell them about your bad days and be prepared to appeal. my goodness it;s all so complicated now, I think they hope people will just give up.
    best wishes xx
    • bspm
    • By bspm 24th Feb 17, 3:49 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    bspm
    The simple answer is that I didn't know that the centre could be changed - there is nothing advising you of that on either the ATOS website or in the notes/letters etc received from the assessor/DWP.
    Maybe there should be information of that nature available.

To me all of this seems to be about playing a game. If I did that, if I did this - how would it be interpreted by the assessor/DWP.
    As for a home assessment, that is available only to those that have their GP visit them at home as they cannot get to the surgery - I don't fit that category.
    That is wrong information and you really should stop misleading people.

I have had two PIP home assessments, all I did was ask for them, yes I have mobility issues but I am quite capable of getting out and about and going to my GP, my GP never visits me.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Feb 17, 5:55 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    poppy12345

I have had two PIP home assessments, all I did was ask for them, yes I have mobility issues but I am quite capable of getting out and about and going to my GP, my GP never visits me.
    Originally posted by bspm
    Very true that. I've heard of many people who've had home assessments and all they did was ask for them and they got it.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 24th Feb 17, 11:44 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    rockingbilly

Originally posted by bspm
    So why did the guy at the Jobcentre when he filled out my PIP2 claim form write in the box about assessments put that I wanted one at their centre? He never asked as if I had a choice.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 24th Feb 17, 11:45 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    Very true that. I've heard of many people who've had home assessments and all they did was ask for them and they got it.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Who do you ask?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 25th Feb 17, 5:58 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Who do you ask?
    well you request one when filling the form out obviously. Either that or once you have your appoitment through for assessment, ring and ask then.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 25th Feb 17, 6:00 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    poppy12345
    So why did the guy at the Jobcentre when he filled out my PIP2 claim form write in the box about assessments put that I wanted one at their centre? He never asked as if I had a choice.
    I'm surprised you didn't know this as you "claim" to know so much about PIP and assessments.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 25th Feb 17, 7:15 AM
    • 782 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    tomtom256
    It's how they are reducing benefits, if you can travel you can work.only tell them about your bad days and be prepared to appeal. my goodness it;s all so complicated now, I think they hope people will just give up.
    best wishes xx
    Originally posted by lollipopsarah
    But you can work and claim PIP depending on the disability.

Disabeld people also travel for holidays and day to day life.

Are you saying all disabled people should state they can't travel?

Also only telling them about your bad days is fraud.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 25th Feb 17, 7:23 AM
    • 7,048 Posts
    • 15,121 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    best wishes xx
    Originally posted by lollipopsarah
    This is terrible advice as anyone who does this is committing fraud. You should state what happens on an average day, then include what happens on bad days and how often they occur. To use bad days only is saying that you are like that all of the time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,289Posts Today

9,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Has twitter changed the character count so reply @ addresses no longer count? It seems that way!

• RT @SkyNewsEditor: Young journos: 24 hrs left to apply for @JSchofieldTrust Mentor Scheme - team up with top broadcast journalists: https:/?

• RT @LucyGrahamxox: @MartinSLewis just got £952 back in reclaimed account charges from my bank after watching the show! Holiday paid for! #M?

• Follow Martin