Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,532Posts
    • 8,550Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 7:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 02-05-2017 at 3:14 PM.
Page 2
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Jan 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 32,898 Thanks
    monnagran
    Polly, no danger of me fading away alas.

LW. I know you don't enjoy cooking but I've used your nut roast recipe often for the vegetarians at our church lunch club and had many compliments, so thank you. They last had it for their Christmas lunch.
    It sounds pathetic doesn't it, to only eat sandwiches. Truth is, I would eat almost anything if it was between two slices of bread. As a child I adored salad and raw vegetables. I had real problems with meat and cooked meals. DM reckoned that the appalling meat we were eating during the war was responsible. Whatever, huge salads and vegetables with cheese and eggs is always my 'go-to' choice.

Talking of celery, does anyone remember the celery in the good old days? I think it was grown with a great dressing of soot because it always had to be well scrubbed. The best bit was the 'stump.' We used to fight over the stump. There doesn't seem to be a stump these days, just pretty stringy sticks.

The best thing about fruit and veg these days is that if you choose to buy it loose you can buy just enough for one. Unless it is a large vegetable it is possible to buy a great variety of little bits and pieces.
    Oh! I can't wait to have my own kitchen again.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jan 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    Although just me I still like a roast dinner some Sundays. I bought a leg of lamb ages ago on special offer- boned it and portioned into three small rolled joints and a lamb shank (thanks YouTube). Roasting one today for Sunday dinner, leftovers for sandwiches during the week or I might make mash to go with the roast and make enough to have shepherd's pie tomorrow. Do you still make a roast dinner when cooking for one?
    • meg72
    • By meg72 15th Jan 17, 10:00 AM
    • 4,854 Posts
    • 44,573 Thanks
    meg72
    I too love my roast Sunday dinner. I used to just make four dinners and plate them up putting 3 in freezer. Now my SO is here weekends, its dinner for 2 and use up the rest over 3 days.

Today is

Pork Week
    Sunday Lunch Roast Pork, mash, veg
    Cold meat,bubble and squeek, pickled beetroot.
    Sweet n sour pork
    Pork apple and onion Pie.

I am finding this an easy way to meal plan as it only leaves another 3 days to plan for. I have a plan for Beef week, Chicken week, Gammon week, Lamb week etc.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Jan 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 32,898 Thanks
    monnagran
    Although just me I still like a roast dinner some Sundays. I bought a leg of lamb ages ago on special offer- boned it and portioned into three small rolled joints and a lamb shank (thanks YouTube). Roasting one today for Sunday dinner, leftovers for sandwiches during the week or I might make mash to go with the roast and make enough to have shepherd's pie tomorrow. Do you still make a roast dinner when cooking for one?
    Originally posted by caronc
    When I was cooking for two I used to buy a large joint of meat as I think the quality is better and in the end it works out to be more economical.

I cooked it. When it was cold I sliced it and froze it in portions wrapped in foil.. I did the same for roast potatoes and yorkies.

For weeks then I only had to pop a foil packet of meat, a few potatoes and a couple of yorkies in the oven, do whatever veg we were having and in 30 minutes had a roast dinner.
    I used to get a different meat at the beginning of the month so we eventually had a choice of meats and as one sort ran out I wold buy another joint.

It worked for me. I intend to do the same when catering for just me.

x
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jan 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    I too love my roast Sunday dinner. I used to just make four dinners and plate them up putting 3 in freezer. Now my SO is here weekends, its dinner for 2 and use up the rest over 3 days.

Today is

Pork Week
    Sunday Lunch Roast Pork, mash, veg
    Cold meat,bubble and squeek, pickled beetroot.
    Sweet n sour pork
    Pork apple and onion Pie.

I am finding this an easy way to meal plan as it only leaves another 3 days to plan for. I have a plan for Beef week, Chicken week, Gammon week, Lamb week etc.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Like your thinking can't beat a roast
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jan 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    When I was cooking for two I used to buy a large joint of meat as I think the quality is better and in the end it works out to be more economical.

I cooked it. When it was cold I sliced it and froze it in portions wrapped in foil.. I did the same for roast potatoes and yorkies.

For weeks then I only had to pop a foil packet of meat, a few potatoes and a couple of yorkies in the oven, do whatever veg we were having and in 30 minutes had a roast dinner.
    I used to get a different meat at the beginning of the month so we eventually had a choice of meats and as one sort ran out I wold buy another joint.

It worked for me. I intend to do the same when catering for just me.

x
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Totally agree re buying bigger joints both for quality and value. Do similiar sometimes or split up the joint - I tend to do always freeze lamb fresh as do like a lamb curry and cheaper than buying the diced stuff
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Jan 17, 1:36 PM
    • 11,956 Posts
    • 32,267 Thanks
    Nelski
    Originally posted by caronc
    Good thread I have been living single for many years now so am well used to cooking for myself and wont compromise just because there is bound to be left overs. Most Sundays I cook myself a dinner unless its pub day with friends so I have a freezer packed with meats, roast potatoes, veg. Inevitably there are left overs and in fact I tend to cook for this as its not sensible to put the oven on for one roast potato so I cook 20 and freeze the extra

If you like cucumber you may like this which is my go to when I have a spare ...goes lovely with cold meats and cheese

Cucumber and Onion Pickle

My frustration is when I don't feel I can make something like a big steak pie or lasagne that i see on my favourite cooking programmes due to the amount that will be left.

Beef and ham dinner for me with roast pots sprouts and leeks all of course freezer left overs from Christmas
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jan 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 5,027 Thanks
    Farway
    Talking of celery, does anyone remember the celery in the good old days? I think it was grown with a great dressing of soot because it always had to be well scrubbed. The best bit was the 'stump.' We used to fight over the stump. There doesn't seem to be a stump these days, just pretty stringy sticks.
    x
    Originally posted by monnagran
    My bold, the soot was to stop slugs and get rid of it from chimney sweepings, never really worked, always had a slug hidden there somwhere
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jan 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    Good thread I have been living single for many years now so am well used to cooking for myself and wont compromise just because there is bound to be left overs. Most Sundays I cook myself a dinner unless its pub day with friends so I have a freezer packed with meats, roast potatoes, veg. Inevitably there are left overs and in fact I tend to cook for this as its not sensible to put the oven on for one roast potato so I cook 20 and freeze the extra

If you like cucumber you may like this which is my go to when I have a spare ...goes lovely with cold meats and cheese

Cucumber and Onion Pickle

My frustration is when I don't feel I can make something like a big steak pie or lasagne that i see on my favourite cooking programmes due to the amount that will be left.

Beef and ham dinner for me with roast pots sprouts and leeks all of course freezer left overs from Christmas
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Thanks for the pickle recipe. I do make lasagne, steak pies etc. but make them up in individual sizes, I use the wee foil trays with lids that you can get in supermarkets and pound shops. Agree re batch cooking things like roasties no point in cooking one or two
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Jan 17, 4:14 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 101,531 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Monnagran I'm so pleased the nut loaf goes down well. I adapted it from a Linda McC recipe; the original has a fancy filling in the middle which wouldn't work for freezing, and it's actually listed as a recipe for party food.

Nelski that cucumber and onion recipe looks interesting; quite often I get three cucumbers for 1 at the F&V market stall; I sometimes make raita with one of them.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 15th Jan 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4,854 Posts
    • 44,573 Thanks
    meg72
    Monnagran I'm so pleased the nut loaf goes down well. I adapted it from a Linda McC recipe; the original has a fancy filling in the middle which wouldn't work for freezing, and it's actually listed as a recipe for party food.

Nelski that cucumber and onion recipe looks interesting; quite often I get three cucumbers for 1 at the F&V market stall; I sometimes make raita with one of them.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Would love the recipe for your nut loaf f you get the time to post please. I am trying to put together a collection for a veggie DGD off to Uni this year.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Jan 17, 6:28 PM
    • 11,956 Posts
    • 32,267 Thanks
    Nelski

Originally posted by LameWolf
    Its lovely I get orders from friends which of course means I need to buy more cucumbers and onions lol good job they are cheap these days
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Jan 17, 6:35 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 101,531 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Would love the recipe for your nut loaf f you get the time to post please. I am trying to put together a collection for a veggie DGD off to Uni this year.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Here you go - I knew I'd posted it before.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69111236&highlight=nut+loaf#post6 9111236
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 17,029 Thanks
    Slinky
    I bought the Delia book years ago and was distinctly unimpressed with it. IIRC it had a lot of recipes with lots of ingredients. Half a teaspoon of this or that that I didn't have and may not use again. I think the secret of cooking for one is fairly simple recipes without huge numbers of ingredients, which doesn't mean they have to be tasteless.

The book was despatched last year in my Kon Marie clear out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Jan 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 32,898 Thanks
    monnagran
    meg, I cant recommend the nut roast highly enough. Im not vegetarian but when I make it for Lunch Club I always filch a slice for myself.

x
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 15th Jan 17, 10:19 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    Just a thought, if you have a slow cooker there are a few good books with recipes for one, or two portions with suggestions of how to use the second if you're on your own. My go-to is 'Slow cooking for yourself' by Catherine Atkinson but if you check the usual sites I think you'll find quite a few more.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 15th Jan 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 6,396 Thanks
    melanzana
    Let us just face it.

There is nothing worse than making up a lovely meal and then eating it alone.

Food is for sharing.

That is why I think soup, sandwiches and ready meals should not be denigrated for those alone.

I know people mean well, as I do myself, but we have to be realistic here also.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Jan 17, 11:27 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 24,623 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thank you for the link, I am not vegetarian, but enjoy tasty no meat meals, as I am the only one who eats nut roast here, one that is freezable will be great.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jan 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    Just a thought, if you have a slow cooker there are a few good books with recipes for one, or two portions with suggestions of how to use the second if you're on your own. My go-to is 'Slow cooking for yourself' by Catherine Atkinson but if you check the usual sites I think you'll find quite a few more.
    Originally posted by Well Preserved
    Yep love my slow cookers (have 3 LOL) though do tend to use them for multi portion recipes though have made smaller amounts popped in oven bags and cooked a couple of different things at once. I quite fancy a baby slow cooker 1.5 L but need to work out if the outlay is worth the use I'd give it
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jan 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    Let us just face it.

There is nothing worse than making up a lovely meal and then eating it alone.

Food is for sharing.

That is why I think soup, sandwiches and ready meals should not be denigrated for those alone.

I know people mean well, as I do myself, but we have to be realistic here also.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Certainly not intending to denigrate the soup, sandwich and ready meals for single people. Personally most ready meals aren't suitable for me due to the relatively high salt content. Don't agree that there is nothing worse than cooking a lovely meal then eating alone, yes nothing beats sharing a lovely meal but I also get pleasure from cooking nice food for myself.
    Last edited by caronc; 16-01-2017 at 9:09 AM. Reason: Got the quoting wrong
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,471Posts Today

6,436Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin