Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,131Posts
    • 14,763Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £231.13 (97.8% paid)
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1758.22 (23.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 4/12. Groceries target £131.84/£135. NSD target 15/16.
Page 3
    • misstara
    • By misstara 3rd Jan 17, 6:39 AM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    misstara
    VJsmum could you post the recipe for mincemeat flapjack? It sounds yummy and would be ideal for using up the leftover mincemeat I have in the cupboard.
    Mini Targets
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Jan 17, 8:43 AM
    • 14,660 Posts
    • 116,354 Thanks
    JackieO
    Miss Tara I second that they sound lovely
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget £60.00 for May
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Jan 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4,611 Posts
    • 65,406 Thanks
    VJsmum
    VJsmum could you post the recipe for mincemeat flapjack? It sounds yummy and would be ideal for using up the leftover mincemeat I have in the cupboard.
    Originally posted by misstara
    The recipe comes from Flower Tot Mum off the "No T words" thread. I use half the sugar as they are very sweet anyway.

Mincemeat flapjack..

8oz margerine/butter
    8oz sr flour
    8oz sugar
    8oz oats
    2 tbsp of golden syrup

Melt butter and syrup in a saucepan over low heat.
    Put all dry ingredients in a bowl.
    When butter/syrup is melted pour over the dry ingredients..mix well.
    Use half the mix to line the bottom of a tray..flatten well..spread mincemeat over it.
    Use other half of mix over the top of mincemeat.
    Put in the oven for 30 minutes at Gas mark 5..or until goldeny brown
    Enjoy..

Once out of the oven, i mark the tray into squares and leave to cool in the tin as they are prone to disintegrating. My DS says they are the best cake ever and i am not to make them too often as he can't resist them
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • dND
    • By dND 3rd Jan 17, 9:03 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    dND
    A big hello to all the new posters, welcome to a lovely friendly thread.

I too have been sorting out the last of the Christmas food. Here in France the annual gastroenteritis epidemic is in full swing and the flu one is building. As I live in a very rural department it has one of the lowest rates but I make a point of interacting with people as little as possible over the worst months. So that means shopping every couple of weeks rather than once a week. Added to that I want to return to the UK to be nearer my children so I'm also trying to eat through the rather large store cupboard(s) I have - home produce and the necessities in case I get stuck at the house for couple of weeks which has happened. And supermarkets are 20+ minutes drive away, and village shops are minimal.

So the dried haricot beans are currently slow cooking in my wood burner and have 'minimised' 3 packs of frozen tomato sauces from the freezer. I'm not sure this is really minimizing as more than 3 packs of frozen beans will go back in!

Next up I'd over bought bread and eggs so to use up some demerara sugar and a good portion of the grapes I dried last year I now have a massive bread and butter pudding which definitely won't minimise me.

And then lurking at the bottom of the fridge was a bag of carrots a friend gave me as she was going away for Christmas so I used the contents of the stockpot and have a rather lovely carrot and coriander soup for my lunches.

Now all I have to do is to go through the freezers and try and generate enough space to store the extra portions and organise it so that I can see what I have to eat easily

The final M (Mending) is ongoing - a consequence of living in an old farmhouse!

• taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 3rd Jan 17, 9:16 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 7,307 Thanks
    taurusgb
    Another lurker here. I want to try minimizing my online time this year while also making the most of the time I am online by being more discerning with the websites I visit. I do NOT need any more fabric, yarn, crafting stash for a start, so will try hard to stay away from the tempting websites for this and spend more time on MSE where I can possibly save money.

All Christmas food now eaten or frozen. Only wastage was a single lime - but since I only paid 25p for a bag of 12, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Like a lot if you I am going to make do with food from the freezer and cupboards in January, though I do need to buy fresh milk, veg and fruit.

Have awful cough and cold so would be greateful for any suggestions on how to mend or minimize that!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • summerlady
    • By summerlady 3rd Jan 17, 10:56 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    summerlady
    Hi, another lurker here too.

Today I have decided to "make do" with what I have in the house and cook a fish pie with fish from the freezer. I don't have any fresh veg left except potatoes so I will use up a tin of green beans and some sweetcorn. This will do me for today and tomorrow and at least one portion to go back in the freezer.
    Lunch will be soup and crackers and cheese, with half the soup for tomorrow. It will save me going to the shop for bread and other things which usually ends up being lots of other things.

I haven't any mending to do today (well I have but I can't get to it in my craft room) so I'll make some canvas bags to hold some of my group's craft supplies.

I need to minimise
    me - so a walk is on the agenda today
    my craft stash - so this year I am planning to complete at least 6 unfinished projects.

It's good to read about other people's efforts - some people are much further along than I am so it gives me inspiration.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
    • hollysnan
    • By hollysnan 3rd Jan 17, 1:07 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    hollysnan
    Jellie, Thank you for that will look in to it.
    Its my 61st birthday today and I Minimised some gift vouchers to get a bird feeder for the garden.
    I love watching the birds so this gives me pleasure and also the birds get some food.
    Have some mending to do on OHs sleeves of a favorite cardigan.
    • fiftyeighter
    • By fiftyeighter 3rd Jan 17, 1:27 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    fiftyeighter
    Well minimised me slightly by a nice bracing 2 mile walk with the dogs. Came home and maximised me by eating a gorgeous bowl of my home made broccoli and Stilton soup. But that did meen I made do with food from the freezer. I'm going round in circles here, must try harder. Lol.
    All decorations down and sorted through so got rid of the rough ones.
    Dinner tonight pasta with turkey from freezer and a nice home made sauce.
    Dentist tomorrow..........oh no. I'm the most dreadful coward. Let's hope I'm not going to have to minimise any teeth.
    Happy birthday hollysnan. Have a great day.
    Last edited by fiftyeighter; 03-01-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 3rd Jan 17, 2:15 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 7,307 Thanks
    taurusgb
    Hapy Birthday hollysnan
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • Magpied
    • By Magpied 3rd Jan 17, 2:43 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    Magpied
    Another lurker here! Make do: Found some heavy red velvet curtains that were given to me to use for the fabric, but fit absolutely perfectly in one of our bedroom windows - will also help with keeping the cold out, as our central heating hasn't been working since christmas eve... and (Christmas) Turkey from the freezer stew tonight with tired veg.

Mend: Yet again, having to re-sew my M&S white knickers back together!! I bought 3 packs of the bog-standard white cotton ones a few months ago, and most of them have fallen apart in various places where the elastic meets the fabric. I know they are only cheap, but I am not impressed, and will not give up on them yet, since it's so hard these days to find *real* cotton undies, rather than the, ahem... sweaty synthetic ones that are everywhere these days...

Minimise: Tons of dog fur from our carpeted areas, the vacuum doesn't pick it up, so i have to use a dog slicker brush to pick it all up first!
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 UU 3 IN 2 -1
    2017 declutter 32/2017 Roadkill £1.06 Wombling free/ Ys savings 2017 £16.45 Craft Stash 3 2016 @ £141.25
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 3rd Jan 17, 2:47 PM
    • 15,197 Posts
    • 194,276 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Happy birthday hollysnan hope you have a lovely day.

Magpies I got some undies from Tesco, I'm sure they are cotton they do them in various styles from dental floss to proper bottom covers.

Have taken the deccys down and done some cross stitch in an attempt to minimise my crafting stash, it will be a long job as it's a very intricate piece.

Hope all are well
    grocery challenge April budget £400 spent £236.78
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £1550o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Paper hearts & summer kisses
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 3rd Jan 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 4,605 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    Making do with stuff I have in, no hardship as I have loads and its to cold to go out anyway.
    minimizing a lot of out of date paperwork
    Mending - not got any mending but intend to sort out my sewing draw tomorrow.

Have a nice evening everyone, I babysit Monday and Tuesday nights for my neice so I will off there after tea.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • pippo
    • By pippo 3rd Jan 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 26,642 Thanks
    pippo
    I'm yet another long time lurker now jumping in, if you'll have me.
    I retired recently (early retirement you understand, but only just!)
    and am now looking seriously de-clutter, cut costs and get back into sewing/crafting.

I did manage to get rid of pass back to our son, his train set when we visited for Christmas, he's 42 now! and I also gave him my late dad's camera. He has been warned that he can deal with our stuff over the next few months or have it all to deal with when we are no longer here.

So, tonight's tea (we are northerners so it's only dinner if we have guests!) is an old fashioned fry up of last nights veg with a tin of corned beef that has been in the cupboard since !!!!! was a kitten.
    Will crack on with some cross stitch after that.
    Pip
    x
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 3rd Jan 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 16,144 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Made do and gave myself a haircut. DS2 checked the back and said it looked fine. I had stopped doing my hair myself and found a hairdresser I liked but he got promoted twice while I was going to him and the price doubled so I haven't been in a while. Saved lots of money today.

Bx
    Decluttering 2017 things this year: 157/2017
    NSD 26/365
    • Minihauk
    • By Minihauk 3rd Jan 17, 6:00 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 3,978 Thanks
    Minihauk
    Happy New Year everyone from another lurker. I don;t seem to have much to add, but will try to contribute more this year.

Minimise: Tons of dog fur from our carpeted areas, the vacuum doesn't pick it up, so i have to use a dog slicker brush to pick it all up first!
    Originally posted by Magpied
    Magpied - try brushing your foot over the carpet while wearing trainers. Sounds crazy but really gets pet hair up well before vacuuming! The rubber sole catches the fur and makes it clump together so you can pick up the hair and leave the dust/dirt for the hoover.

I am trying to eat from the freezer and cupboards too. They are groaning and I am hoping to move this year, so needs must.

Minimised the washing pile, including dd's as she is working long hours. No mending needed at the moment.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Jan 17, 6:10 PM
    • 14,660 Posts
    • 116,354 Thanks
    JackieO
    Can't be doing with the dental floss ones I prefer the 'harvest festival' ones 'all is safely gathered in' I am built for comfort not speed at my age

Happy Birthday Hollysnan I am a nan of a Holly as well, she is a big grown up almost 24 year old primary school teacher .Her birthday is in July and my friend June's birthday is December

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget £60.00 for May
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Jan 17, 7:15 PM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 25,954 Thanks
    Floss
    Made do & minimised some more leftovers for tea, and made l/o mash into duchess potatoes which are in the freezer for future dates

Currently watching DH minimise the tree, as it's recycling collection tomorrow.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 3rd Jan 17, 7:36 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 46,192 Thanks
    silvasava
    Welcome Hollysnan and Happy Birthday. A happy new year too to all you lovely posters. I'm a long time lurker and only occasional poster but do love reading about all your achievements (or not!) on the mmm front. So many great ideas, tips and support from you all.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • misstara
    • By misstara 3rd Jan 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    misstara
    Happy birthday hollysnan

Thanks for the recipe VJsmum, was planning to try it tonight and then realised that I have no flour in the new flat so will definitely be trying it as soon as I get some.

I popped in past the supermarket on the way home from work to get a few bits and bobs, got a huge pack of YS mince for 77p so very pleased with that. It's been portioned up and put into the freezer. There was so much YS stuff there today but unfortunately couldn't buy most of it, very annoying being GF sometimes.

We had the leftover gammon for tea with some leftover parsnips from last night, tomatoes done in balsamic vinegar and sugar and garlic bread. There's still half of the garlic baguette left so we'll have that tomorrow night. Having a wee slice of christmas cake for pudding.

Made a start on sorting out the kitchen things. Some of it will be going to a friend who is just about to move into a new flat so she is going to pop round at some point this week or next to see what she would like and the rest will go to the CS. I've got 3 bags of things to go to the CS already so really need to make a trip there at some point soon.
    Mini Targets
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 3rd Jan 17, 8:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Minimise clothes
    Saw this idea on facebook and have decided to give it a go. I have far too many clothes. The idea is that you turn the hangers in your wardrobe round and then when you have worn the item turn the hanger round the other way. You should start to get a good idea of what you do actually wear and at the end of the year you still have hangers that haven't been turned round then off to the charity shop with them!
    Managed to make it to aquacise so hopefully that can count as minimise.
    Made the dinner from scratch for a change.
    Nothing to mend so far so I take that as a positive (well it is in our house!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,295Users online

Martin's Twitter