Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,217Posts
    • 15,423Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1663.51 (27.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 5/12. Groceries target £104.25/£150. NSD target 11/16.
Page 2
    • Athome1
    • By Athome1 2nd Jan 17, 10:57 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    Athome1
    That sounds adoreable .. might try making one. Thank you for explaining. x
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 2nd Jan 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 16,153 Thanks
    Broomstick
    I've decided that, every time I pop in and look at this thread, I'll take it as a reminder to mmm something I've been procrastinating about. I've just popped a bit of insulating tape around my computer cable where the outside covering had been melted by the fan heater (don't ask) but the inside wires were still safely insulated. It's a job I've been meaning to do for months.

A tip that's useful, can't remember if I've mentioned it in the past, is always to have a couple of needles threaded up with black/dark and white thread so that if you spot a quick repair or a button has fallen off, you can do something about it instantly.

Bx
    Decluttering 2017 things this year: 157/2017
    NSD 26/365
    • hollysnan
    • By hollysnan 2nd Jan 17, 11:47 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    hollysnan
    Morning everyone,
    I need to minimise my clothes.
    I have lost alot of weight through ill health so that is the plan to start and go through each drawer and wardrobe and get rid of anything that does not fit.
    We have lots of food in the cupboards, freezer and fridge.
    So we need to use some of that up before we buy more.
    Since I became ill my OH who is retired as taken over cooking as I could not do it.
    Hes very good at it, I dont eat much at all since becoming ill.
    I have a few things that need mending so that is on the list for today.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Jan 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 27,514 Thanks
    Floss
    I have just minimised some left-over wine with my left-overs lunch while watching left-over tv!

I am in the middle of making do & minimising in our back bedroom / dressing room. We have a rowing machine which both DH and I want to use regularly, so I need to make space for it to live, that isn't right in the centre of the room!

Mending will be fixing a couple of hems & loose buttons, when I've finished the clear-out upstairs.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Jan 17, 2:27 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 47,457 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mistara - thank you for starting the new thread to keep us all motivated! Thiftwizard - your quilting looks beautiful.
    I need to make a couple of new cushion covers for our bedroom - the black silky ones are looking very tired and faded now but I will be able to reuse the pads. This year I am trying to be very objective over our current and future lifestyle (DH & I both in our early 70's) so I want to simplify and declutter some more and be realistic over our choices - proably easier to say than do but I'm sure you will all help me on my way
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 2nd Jan 17, 3:49 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Good start!
    Well I have managed to minimise all those recipes that you see in magazines, tear out never to make. I have been ruthless and have managed to store the recipes in two plastic folders. Indexed them so that I can see whether I have made them and then will throw out again at the end of the year if there is no comment attached to the folder. Also managed to minimise my huge wool stash by knitting two burial gowns for premature babies. (I knit for preemiesuk which send out cardies,hats, burial gowns and burial cribs to hospitals all over the country).
    I have mended a rip in the seam of my cheap charity shop warm coat. A reminder that I also need to minimise my weight.....
    Off to the gym tomorrow. I need to exercise more as the arthritis is worse when I don't move a lot and I definitely don't like this cold weather.
    Glad to see it is not just me that has stopped lurking....
    • fiftyeighter
    • By fiftyeighter 2nd Jan 17, 3:51 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    fiftyeighter
    Hi everyone and a happy and prosperous new year to you all.
    I'm a bit like athome1. I tend to read and very rarely post. You all are great but I also feel like I'm intruding. Stupid I know.
    Well I WILL be more upfront from now on.
    Thrift wizard the quilt is gorgeous.
    This new year I intend to be more active and try to get more from life. I've been saying this for a long time, this year I intend to be better.
    For a start my daughter and I both need to lose about a stone or so, not a lot I know but I feel dreadfully uncomfortable. So have started with a healthier lifestyle.
    I am quite good at the three MM.,s but can always improve.
    So here's to a new year and a new more confident and interesting me.
    • Newbie Ginnings
    • By Newbie Ginnings 2nd Jan 17, 4:46 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Newbie Ginnings
    I decided it was high time I stopped lurking in the shadows and started posting too - I've been reading these boards since 2006 when I was struggling financially and the old style board helped me get through those times more than anything else and taught me so much!

In the spirit of making do, I used up some leftover beef & roasties in a "deconstructed" cottage pie ( really just heated through with onions & carrots in gravy ), and minimised 6 bags of ood & unwanted food stuff from the kitchen cupboards, which are still packed to the rafters!

No mending yet but there's still time
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 2nd Jan 17, 4:47 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    Hi everyone I have been a lurker for a long time but would like to join in.
    I live alone too so its nice to come online and chat/read posts in the evening. I have loads of food in the freezer so will only need to buy fresh fruit and veg for weeks.
    Love the quilt Thrift Wizard! I am making a much simpler one this winter for a new baby boy due in May.
    I minimized a load of paperwork yesterday. Not done any mending yet.
    Happy new year everyone.,
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 2nd Jan 17, 6:02 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    Another lurker :-)

Make do - finished off the broccoli that was on its last legs.

Minimise - sorting through clothes to keep/donate/ragbag/upcycle/repair.

Mend - took up the sleeves on an ancient (30yrs) black cardigan where they were fraying so I can get one last wear out of it at a funeral this week then it can go to the great rag bag in the sky. The relative who passed away would approve of the frugality, the majority of relatives remaining would see this as skanky.

Plan to remove a crochet embellishment off of a top heading for the rag bag and sew it onto another top to hide a stain that won't come out.
    • SmarterNotHarder
    • By SmarterNotHarder 2nd Jan 17, 6:07 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    SmarterNotHarder
    Hello! I lurked a bit last year, but I feel I would do better by joining in, if you'll have me?

I would like to spend less money, but also be less of a "consumer". I spend far too much time browsing shops and the internet for "stuff" that could be "useful" instead of doing something useful. I also would like to create less waste and maybe even be kinder to the environment. I may fall flat on my face, but then again, I won't find out if I dont give it a go!
    • Greenbuzby
    • By Greenbuzby 2nd Jan 17, 6:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Greenbuzby
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon too, and join in instead of lurking. I'm very conscious that my earnings are going to reduce in April by approximately £150 a month so I really need to get myself in order so that I can lessen the impact by then as much as possible.

In the next week or two I intend to go through my clothes that I don't wear anymore to see if anything is worth ebaying, the rest will go to charity. I also need to minimise myself, especially after I saw some photos taken of me on NYE!

I have a pair of jeans that need patching, so will try to get to that at the weekend.

happy new year to everyone x
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 2nd Jan 17, 6:55 PM
    • 15,219 Posts
    • 194,530 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Evening everyone and happy new year.
    Thank you for the new thread which I've just found.
    Welcome to all the new mmmers, lovely to have so much more company and extra ideas and motivation.
    I love the fuzzy quilt thriftwizard, it's gorgeous

All of today's meal are using up yesterday's left overs, We had hm mushroom soup that was over from yesterday for lunch and I've just put a pie in the oven made with all of yesterday's left over veggies and sone nutroast, I'm making roast pots with it using up the new pots that were also left over from yesterday meal. Finished of a pack of ready made puff pastry to mKe the pie.

I've got a pair of pjs to mend for dd2 as the seam has split

In an attempt to minimise my crafting stash I'll be trying to do more knitting and crafting this year - I've just got a wip crossstitch out of my cupboard and made anither start on it.
    grocery challenge June budget £400 spent £164.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on magic of tidying up
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • misstara
    • By misstara 2nd Jan 17, 9:07 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 15,423 Thanks
    misstara
    Ace to see so many lurkers joining in, great to have you all and excited to find out all your MMMing tips

Thriftwizard - that quilt is gorgeous!

So I walked to work today and then ran home so that's the first step towards minimising me! My plan is to run home on Wednesday and Friday but we'll see what the weather is like. I'm a bit of a fair weather runner but really need to man up and just get on with it.

Got home to discover that OH had decided to take diced steak out of the freezer for the pie, forgetting that I had been planning to use up the leftover gammon. Ah well at least I didn't have to cook as he had already made it and we'll have the gammon for tea tomorrow night instead. He used up the last of the mushrooms that were a bit past it and the leftover pastry has been frozen for another night.

Thought about starting to go through some of the kitchen stuff but then decided to be lazy instead OH said he'll give me a hand so think that will be tomorrow night's plan.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1663.51 (27.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 5/12. Groceries target £104.25/£150. NSD target 11/16.
    • amber03
    • By amber03 2nd Jan 17, 9:09 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 4,467 Thanks
    amber03
    Had some Yorkshire pud mix left from yesterday's roast dinner, usually just tip it away but with some sausage I have made three portions of toad in the hole. All now tucked away in the freezer.

A pair of suede shoes that I thought had been destined for the bin have been scrubbed and washed down and are now good as new.

Started to take Xmas decs down and are going through them as some of them are only good enough for the bin.

As DS2 is leaving home within the next couple of weeks I will be going through his old room and getting rid of a lot of stuff.
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £326.00

WOMBLER 2017 NO. 5 £7.20
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 2nd Jan 17, 9:38 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 13,354 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    Thriftwizard- beautiful quilt. I'm thinking of making my first quilt this year so I might be asking you for help!

Hollysnan- a bit off topic and not very MMM but I have long term health issues and sometimes struggle to maintain my weight. I find complan and ensure can help a lot (particularly if you don't really feel hungry or feel sick). You can get ensure on prescription but you might want to find a flavour you like and ask for that flavour. It seems most people can pretend the strawberry or chocolate are milkshake. I find chocolate complan powder with hot water/ milk is a passable hot chocolate. I'd have a couple between meals.

I'm doing the storecupboard challenge this month so will be 'making do' when it comes to food and doing minimal grocery shopping. OH made bread for today so we got bacn from the freezer to have a sarnie.
    We also batch cooked some chilli in slow cooker. I didn't have kidney beans but used some pinto beans at their best before date from cupboard and replaced sundried tomatoes with tomato paste from cupboard. We also used up some of the cheese left from Christmas. We increased the veg to meat ratio and stretched a recipe that should make 8 portions to 18 portions! There are 2 of us so we made 4 meals worth of enchiladas and 5 meals of chilli. All in freezer now.

Also on the making do front I need a couple of sealed pots for challenges. I don't want to buy them and ideally I don't want it to shout out "hey Mr Burglar I have money in me". Made my first pot today using the tin hubbys aftershave came in (his birthday gift). I cut a slot in the top and hubby used the dremel to tidy the edges. I've put a little sugru over the edge to make sure the edge won't cut me. When the sugru has cured tomorrow I might add a piece of card on the top as added disguise. I might post piccies tomorrow.
    January grocery challenge £52.28/180. January NSD 3/20.
    2017 Womble #9 £2.98
    Saving for Christmas 2017 #46 £50/ £520. 365 Day Penny Challenge in 2017 £10.64/£667.95. VSP 2017 # £0/500. SPC 10
    Stashbusting projects 3/365
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 #12 £5/200
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 2nd Jan 17, 9:52 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 66,452 Thanks
    VJsmum
    yet another on / off reader/ poster / lurker...

And another who has been using up leftovers. very happy that very little food went in the bin (just a few pieces of well-past it fruit and some tomatoes that were manky in their cellophane )

But pretty much the last has gone now - just a couple of mincemeat flapjacks and a few dregs of (yummy) cheese.

Didn't spend that much more on food than we normally would either.

The freezers are bulging and the cupboards pretty full so January will be spent eating them down. As an avid "Konmarie" follower, I am mostly minimised, but am planning to cut down our plastic usage and to carry my own water bottle and reusable coffee cup with me. We also are going to be doing more of the 5 R's of waste (refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle, rot) - we won't be perfect but anything is better than nothing.

My OH is thinking he is going to be 'made' to retire shortly, so every little will help (this won't be the end of the world, but our income will be reduced somewhat - he isn't planning to get another job, for which I don't blame him, but some reductions will have to take place)
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 2nd Jan 17, 10:41 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 17,617 Thanks
    MMF007
    Another Lurker here! Had to say that quilt idea is fabulous!! I have learn something else, thanks. I have actually been practising much more MM and M in 2016 but it will help me to join in here rather than just read and run. I have some mending to do tomorrow so I'll report back.

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Jan 17, 10:46 PM
    • 14,776 Posts
    • 119,037 Thanks
    JackieO
    MTSTM Bearing in mind I live in the UK which is not known for brilliant weather i have never owned an umbrella ever Doubt I will now as I need one hand for keeping tight hold of my handbag and the other holds my walking stick

Went to Aldis and Sainsbury's this morning and lashed our the grand total of £12.88, £7.15 on vegetables and £5.73 on fruit ,more than enough to keep me going for the next couple of weeks at least.No food shopping to buy though as I am hoping to minimise my freezer over the next few weeks as its crammed full of left overs and odds and ends .
    in one of my food hampers I had a huge box of tea bags which will come in handy and lots of tins of fruit as well as several toiletries and some cleaning stuff.My DDs ma-in-law likes to make up a large box of bits and pieces for me which she collects with BOGOFFS through the year.Bless her I usually give her nice shampoo stuff and her favourite skin care cream which last her until next Christmas Its quite expensive, so she really appreciates the fact I know its her favourite She is a dear lady of 80 + and although I have told her to cut back she just likes to make her boxes of goodies up

My back still giving me gyp so I have been using my strong painkillers today I only use them on an as and when basis, as they leave such a horrible taste in ones mouth I have been cleaning my teeth every couple of hours to get rid of the taste

Great to see all the folk de-lurking and joining in the New Year
    de-cluttering and minimising
    Well done chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 2nd Jan 17, 11:51 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Yet another lurker here.

I need to do a whole lot of minimising having had to do a kind of emergency downsize. I have a whole £40 per week storage unit to minimise . Really need this thread to keep me motivated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,751Users online

Martin's Twitter