Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    • 234Posts
    • 836Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen 29th Dec 16 at 9:34 AM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2017 items in 2017.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented greent: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385103

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!
    2017 £2 Savers Club #19 - £35/£100 Target
    1% Club - 28%/100% Declutter 2017 in 2017 - 951/2016
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Tesco (0%): £4,685.85/£4,681.95
    DH Overdraft: £1,500 Virgin CC (0%):£5,135.23/£3,857.70
Page 3
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 31st Dec 16, 1:32 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 6,117 Thanks
    somerandom
    Thanks for setting up this thread Sa1sysoo!

I'm excited to be in at the beginning this year - last year I only started in June. I'm going for the full 2017 items - I've got a couple of days to myself tomorrow and Monday so I plan to make a start then.

Happy New Year
    No Clutter to be seen 2017
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 £337.05/£365
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 31st Dec 16, 1:54 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 10,328 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I've a mirror, a large piece of wood, very long pelmet and a large work surface which all need to go that were here when I moved in 7 years ago. With no transport I have no idea how that will happen but I need to find a way. They are cluttering up a cupboard that my step ladders, hoover and one box of odds and sods are in, as well as it being the meter cupboard.

I've an empty TV box that I bought after mine died on Boxing Day. That will be easier as I can break it down and put in the bin.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    Have you tried Freecycle/freegle? Mirrors usually go well as they are so expensive. And people are always looking for what we think might be junk. Good luck.
    Originally posted by suzeesu2000
    Hi suzeesu2000

Thanks for the support.

I've had some success. My son in law was able to break down the plastic pelmet and put it in the bin, also in there is the TV box. He has also taken the large piece of wood and a cd/video player which I think stopped working in sympathy with the demise of my old television!

All I have now is the mirror and the work surface. The mirror is just a large sheet of mirrored glass which would be dangerous if just stood leaning against a wall. But someone may have a use for it.

I will take photos of them and put them on freegle and see what response I get. I will celebrate once they are gone.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • Katsmum2
    • By Katsmum2 31st Dec 16, 3:53 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Katsmum2
    Hi,
    Would like to join too please.
    Not a natural tidy person at all! Like many of you family clutter, fear of running out of things coming from times of not having much and illness bringing severe fatigue means my house is stuffed.
    Our Christmas turkey had less in it!��
    2017 in 2017 sounds good.
    Keep safe and warm everyone
    X
    March Budget : £600
    April Budget: £ 550
    • suzeesu2000
    • By suzeesu2000 31st Dec 16, 4:13 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 4,577 Thanks
    suzeesu2000
    have a big box of stuff ready for Tuesdays collection by Salvation army, fair few things in it which I must make a note of.

Also got a few bits out of the food cupboard to deal with - some flavoured teas which are quite revolting!

I also have some gift boxes which I don't have a use for if I am honest - desperate to get out of this "might have a use for it" mentality. They have been sat there for several weeks s I really DON'T need the - i can always make some anyway so why am I hanging on?? Grrr so infuriating!!
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

weight loss since 19/12/16 - 1 stone!!
    Grocery challenge Jan '17 - unspent £35.17/£80 budget
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 31st Dec 16, 4:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    Hello, can I sign up please? Moved house earlier in the year, and despite a massive clearout prior to the move we seem to have lots of items lurking around that I'm sure we don't really need. It's time to get tough and get tidy ! Thank you
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 31st Dec 16, 5:29 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 10,328 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Hello, can I sign up please? Moved house earlier in the year, and despite a massive clearout prior to the move we seem to have lots of items lurking around that I'm sure we don't really need. It's time to get tough and get tidy ! Thank you
    Originally posted by ValentinoRossi46
    You are very welcome to join us on the thread. Some people have targets, eg 2017 items in 2017 or 365 items, one a day. But neither is a prerequisite for joining in.

Clutter to me is stressful - I like everything to have a place. I'm getting there.

I love to hear other people's journeys through decluttering as it gives me more ideas to consider.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • Xandersmum
    • By Xandersmum 31st Dec 16, 8:09 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Xandersmum
    Well I fail miserably at my decluttering challenge last year so I am definitely in for 2017

I have a spare room that I cannot even get into and I want to turn it into a toy/ebay room/study. I really need to save to sell my house so I can get somewhere more wheelchair friendly for DS but at the moment I can neither afford it or be able to maximise the full potential profit on selling it as it s full of junk and tired (a bit like me )

On the plus side I did get rid of 15 bags of recyecling yesterday!!

Make £10 a day August 184/500

• wannalot
    • By wannalot 31st Dec 16, 8:40 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    wannalot
    Hello all,

I'd like to join in please, with an aim to decluttering at least 400 items in 2017.

I'm away from home for the hols, but will begin to seriously declutter next week when I get back. I'm aiming to get rid of dvds, books, clothes, kitchen stuff. And, more painfully, I need to let go of quite a lot of things which belonged to my mum, who passed away last year. I've felt some comfort from keeping a lot of her things around, but now I need to let them go.

Anyway, here's to a cleaner, far less cluttered home in 2017! Good luck all!
    July GC: £76.28/£75
    Aims for 2017:
    1. Stick to GC targets!
    2. No buying of books until I read what I have!
    3. Declutter, declutter and declutter some more!
    4. Lose weight!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 1st Jan 17, 12:51 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 34,279 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    ds and i sorted his room today. 2 bags for cs, 1 for rags, 1 for rubbish. wow! he goes back to glasgow (uni) 2nd so when he next comes back his room should be decorated yay.
    • welshkaren45
    • By welshkaren45 1st Jan 17, 4:39 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    welshkaren45
    I had a few hours to myself yesterday afternoon so I decorated my little cubby hole under the stairs. Used half a roll of left over wallpaper from my spare bedroom, cleaned and emulsioned the rest of the walls there and totally decluttered my desk/spare kitchen storage cupboard. It now has 2 empty drawers and only things in the base of the desk are my MSE debt busting bits,whole area looks so fresh and lovely it has given me inspiration to move onto my welsh dresser later today which is totally full of kitchen stuff and 3 drawers stuffed with make up and junk and the poor thing needs touching up with paint where it has been painted and waxed so this will be my decluttering for 1st Jan..Happy new year all. x
    Aiming to spend less,want less and need less.
    • ValentinoRossi46
    • By ValentinoRossi46 1st Jan 17, 9:28 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    ValentinoRossi46
    You are very welcome to join us on the thread. Some people have targets, eg 2017 items in 2017 or 365 items, one a day. But neither is a prerequisite for joining in.

Clutter to me is stressful - I like everything to have a place. I'm getting there.

I love to hear other people's journeys through decluttering as it gives me more ideas to consider.

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina

Thanks Frogletina I'm looking forward to the challenge, reading everyone's posts will keep me motivated. Happy new year everyone x
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 1st Jan 17, 9:45 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I'm glad I found this thread as you might be able to answer a question...

This year I was off work between Christmas and New Year (normally I work) so I decided to use the few days to get my house spick and span ready for the new year...

On Wednesday I went to the tip with 3 large plastic boxes. The boxes and contents were disposed of. I also disposed of a black bag of rubbish, an old coffee table and two broken laptop bags.

On Friday I deposited 5 carrier bags of clothes and one of books in the charity collection banks.

My paper/cardboard recycling box is full, and I've filled my next door's too (he is on holiday until after the next collection).

The tip is closed today but open tomorrow and in preparation my car boot is full of rubbish.

So why is my house still full of junk??
    Make £10 a day challenge: Oct-16: £88.79 / £310
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 1st Jan 17, 10:25 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Hi Can I join please.
    My house is a tip.

Way too much stuff. I've been ill all over Christmas so haven't managed to put the Christmas prezzies away.
    Did manage 2 large bags of clothes for CS yesterday. Can't decide where to start so maybe my bedroom should be tackled first.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Jan 17, 11:58 AM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 9,812 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    So why is my house still full of junk??
    Originally posted by TheBanker
    I don't know but rest assured I have the same problem here

I have de-cluttered in the past but I just let it creep in again, the reason was I wasn't satisfied with my efforts and just thought its not good enough so !! it I might as well just as well live in junk

I need to come to the realisation that I am never going to live in a show home and will always have 'stuff' and most probably a messy house BUT that doesn't matter as long as I get it to the stage the mess/stuff is contained reasonably neatly. I can't achieve perfection and need to learn that its ok just better than it was is an achievement.

I do suffer with MH issues and in part that is why my house is like it is but I can't use that as an excuse as its not. I am in a better situation than some in that I am physically able to clean so just need to get on with it slowly and stop my brain telling me that it wont ever get to where it needs to why not give up.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 1st Jan 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 34,279 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Dd2 is driving ds back to Glasgow for uni tomorrow, so yesterday we sorted his room. Very pleased. Another 2 bags for the cs, 1 for rags, 1 for rubbish. All bins are heaving now. His room will now be quick to clear when the decorator is ready. Next is dd2/guest room, which still has quite a bit of my stuff from when I moved out of my room for the decorator before Christmas. The room of requirements still needs a heck of a lot of work, but slowly chipping away.
    • sillyme673
    • By sillyme673 1st Jan 17, 12:43 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    sillyme673
    I'm joining again. Made start Xmas tree and decorations, boxed and broken ones in bin.
    Excess make up, unused given to Charity shop. Oldest DD sorted her room. 2 bags of rubbish
    Have 3 bags to go to Charity shop.
    Have been doing so well have 5 empty plastic storage boxes
    Burnt the receipts, that have email copies of.
    Any advice on what to do with massive shoe box of screws?
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
    • Penguins86
    • By Penguins86 1st Jan 17, 1:30 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    Penguins86
    The three of us decided to tackle dd1 room yesterday. This is harder than you think as she is 14, I think she is entitled to her 'privacy' but it was at a stage where there was no floor to be seen and it has got so bad...!
    Originally posted by tibawo
    You could be talking about me as a teenager there! I hated it when my floordrobe was covered in stuff but couldn't face tidying it every so often my mum would come and help, if my dad got there first he put everything in bin bags and confiscated them, until I promised to tidy!

So far in 2017 I have decluttered my first 5 items...5 old magazines that have been cluttering the shelves for months!
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
    • Newbie Ginnings
    • By Newbie Ginnings 1st Jan 17, 2:10 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Newbie Ginnings
    Hi, Happy New Year everyone!
    I'd like to join in with this please. I've decided to have my flat refurbished this year and not only have my own clutter to dispose of, but also half the contents of my mum's 3 bed house which was relocated to mine after she passed away in 2015.
    So, I've made a start today by bagging up clothes and bric a brac ready for collection by a charity next week - there's easily over 100 things just in this batch, and have got rid of the Christmas tree by wrapping it in an old duvet cover that was being binned to catch the mess of the needles.
    2 birds with one stone as they say!
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 1st Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    Count me in for 2017 declutter. No target set as such - if I start counting items/listing things as I go along it'll just turn into procrastination, I know what I am like.

Going to check out the konmari threads too as really like her association with gratitude and positivity.

I hate waste of any kind but have ended up hoarding a lot of recycleables last year as was unable to get to the tip with them. Pees me off that some things like tin foil can be recycled at the tip but not in wheelie bin recycleables even though they are collected/sorted by the same company. I now know the vast amounts of chocolate I eat as I have two massive balls of silver foil from my favourite noms of 2016!

Made a start yesterday evening :-)
    • suzeesu2000
    • By suzeesu2000 1st Jan 17, 3:06 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 4,577 Thanks
    suzeesu2000
    Right,
    1 two awful green china things
    3 two saucers
    5 two cups
    7 bath back washer
    8 two dishclothes
    10 four enormous boxes

Happy with that, didnt do any rummaging, they were just sitting there!

Happy new year all, fingers crossed for a good one x
    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

weight loss since 19/12/16 - 1 stone!!
    Grocery challenge Jan '17 - unspent £35.17/£80 budget
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

4,242Users online

Martin's Twitter