Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 10:46 AM
    • 584Posts
    • 278Thanks
    Dandytf
    ESA Doc's certificate
    • 27th Dec 16, 10:46 AM
    ESA Doc's certificate 27th Dec 16 at 10:46 AM
    Merry xmas and happy 2017 all MSE'rs

As I consider claiming ESA whilst giving up working full time.

What is the doctors certicate required.

I have MS since 2012/2013 awaiting medicine to be realeased 2017.

Unfortunately the office envoirment has become unworkable for some time.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
Page 1
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Dec 16, 10:49 AM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 1,700 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 27th Dec 16, 10:49 AM
    • 27th Dec 16, 10:49 AM
    To claim ESA - You first need to contact DWP and take it from there !
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 10:52 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 27th Dec 16, 10:52 AM
    • 27th Dec 16, 10:52 AM
    To claim ESA - You first need to contact DWP and take it from there !
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Thanks for your advice.

Noticed earlier dwp not open until 4th Jan.

Guess I'll give DWP a call.

Any idea what the doc certificate is mentioned online@gov.uk
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Dec 16, 11:34 AM
    • 6,054 Posts
    • 10,890 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 27th Dec 16, 11:34 AM
    • 27th Dec 16, 11:34 AM
    Thanks for your advice.

Noticed earlier dwp not open until 4th Jan.

Guess I'll give DWP a call.

Any idea what the doc certificate is mentioned online@gov.uk
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    It's just a normal sick line. As you're working you won't go straight to claiming ESA unless you resign which is never a good idea. You're best going to your doctor and being signed off sick from work. If your work only give you SSP you may be able to claim top up benefits like housing benefit or council tax benefit while on sick pay.

Once you've exhausted your SSP allowance you'll be given a form from your work to let you claim ESA. At this stage you'll likely be let go on the grounds that you're unlikely to return to work. Once you claim ESA you'll be on an assessment rate until you attend a medical assessment and then hopefully assigned to a group when you'll be back paid the difference between the assessment rate and your group rate. This could take months depending on where you live.

Don't rely on it all going to plan straight away. With MS in particular the lapsing/remitting types can struggle to get through without an appeal as the assessor may see you on a good day and report that your symptoms aren't severe. If you go to appeal it can take over a year in some areas before you are assigned to a group. Some people will be forced to claim job seekers in between being knocked back and having their appeal heard. If this happens to you come back on here and someone will talk you through that process.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 12:07 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 27th Dec 16, 12:07 PM
    • 27th Dec 16, 12:07 PM
    Thanks excellent advice.

I have MS nurse appt 1st week Jan and MS doc May at hospital.

I was until recently relapsing remitting MS type though since 4rth MRI scan since primary progressive.

Don't think ssp or jsa will cover mortgage and living costs, I have PIP since 2013.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 12:11 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 27th Dec 16, 12:11 PM
    • 27th Dec 16, 12:11 PM
    This part is most important
    It's just a normal sick line. As you're working you won't go straight to claiming ESA unless you resign which is never a good idea.

Considering I,m currently suspended could I resign and claim ESA?
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• Ames
    • By Ames 27th Dec 16, 1:06 PM
    • 16,093 Posts
    • 27,983 Thanks
    Ames
    • 27th Dec 16, 1:06 PM
    • 27th Dec 16, 1:06 PM
    You could, but as Glaswejen said it's better not to. Partly from a financial position - you accrue holiday pay while you're sick. Also because if you only qualify for contributions based and are put in the work related activity group it's limited to a year, so it's better to start that clock as late as possible.

Whether you qualify for income or contribution based depends on household income and savings, and NI contributions in the relevent years.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 27th Dec 16, 1:16 PM
    • 10,396 Posts
    • 12,300 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 27th Dec 16, 1:16 PM
    • 27th Dec 16, 1:16 PM
    Since you are currently suspended it does seem that this is more of an employment issue than a benefits one.

Are you aware that ESA is only 73.10 per week? Since you have a mortgage then you will not get any help with this unless you are eligible for income based ESA and even then you would have to wait for 39 weeks? You may get some help with council tax if you are eligible (savings less than 16000 and no other income)

It might be better to see the outcome of the suspension and what decision your employer makes as regards your employment.

It is not clear whether you are saying that you are no longer able to work at all with your illness or whether it is just at this particular job?

Can you expand a little so we can help more?
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 27th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    • 27th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    Thanks all for your advice.

My speech is being affected as I mentioned last MRI scan approx 1-2 months ago.

Having a call centre advisor role since 1999 I was to have a chair purchased and setup in work.

Unfortantely prior to my recent suspension.

I'm currently receiving full pay though what happened in the working environment will no doubt result in dismissal.

I mentioned to MS doc Atos etc past few years find it very difficult when approached or expected to move from my desk multiple times per day.

I would certainly consider finding part time work if required with esa if possible.

Website turn2us calculation total as follows.

Mortgage interest support 52.60 p/week
    ESA 134 p/week
    Council tax reduction 26 p//week

+ existing pip 307 p/month
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• McKneff
    • By McKneff 27th Dec 16, 4:59 PM
    • 35,306 Posts
    • 45,433 Thanks
    McKneff
    I don't think you can have sick pay and part time earnings. If you are capable of part time work, you are not 'sick'enough for sick pay
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Dec 16, 5:02 PM
    • 6,054 Posts
    • 10,890 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Thanks all for your advice.

My speech is being affected as I mentioned last MRI scan approx 1-2 months ago.

Having a call centre advisor role since 1999 I was to have a chair purchased and setup in work.

Unfortantely prior to my recent suspension.

I'm currently receiving full pay though what happened in the working environment will no doubt result in dismissal.

I mentioned to MS doc Atos etc past few years find it very difficult when approached or expected to move from my desk multiple times per day.

I would certainly consider finding part time work if required with esa if possible.

Website turn2us calculation total as follows.

Mortgage interest support 52.60 p/week
    ESA 134 p/week
    Council tax reduction 26 p//week

+ existing pip 307 p/month
    You won't get the mortgage interest support for 39 weeks after you become eligible for help. The support is also only on the original mortgage and won't usually be granted on any second mortgages loans on the house, something that may or may not affect you.

That ESA looks like an amount for someone in a group, you'll only be paid the 70 odd pounds while waiting to be assessed. Your partners income will also be taken into account.

If your partner isn't working and you get daily living component of PIP it might be better getting her to claim carers allowance and then income support and add you to her income support claim. I would still advise you keep work going as long as you can as you'll accrue holiday and keep the clock from starting on any ESA claim.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 5:45 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    To clarify I live at home alone.

I do get 2 elements of pip daily living+ incapacity ( lower amount)

What is a esa group?
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 27th Dec 16, 6:18 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I don't think you can have sick pay and part time earnings. If you are capable of part time work, you are not 'sick'enough for sick pay
    Originally posted by McKneff
    I don't think I need sick pay at all as I'm still getting full pay until I hear further from employers.

What I am trying to establish is how can I save my home if I lose my current job.

Health wise MS is worsening which is making me seriously considering living at home and possible part time work without the daily commute + stress and physical i limitations.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Dec 16, 10:11 PM
    • 6,054 Posts
    • 10,890 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I don't think I need sick pay at all as I'm still getting full pay until I hear further from employers.

What I am trying to establish is how can I save my home if I lose my current job.

Health wise MS is worsening which is making me seriously considering living at home and possible part time work without the daily commute + stress and physical i limitations.
    Usually at this stage (without the disciplinary) you'd hand in a sick line to work and get SSP, wether or not your employer pays extra on top of this is irrelevant. You'd get SSP + contractual payments if applicable for 28 weeks. If you're still sick you run out of sick pay and you get a form called SSP1 which you use to claim ESA.

In your case you're not currently off sick, you're in the middle of a disciplinary at work and being paid full pay because of your suspension. If you hand in a sick line now your work might think you're doing so to avoid being sacked but thats their problem. I would definitely get the sick line and do it that way, don't resign.

The groups are what i described as above. Entitled to looks like it's worked out income based benefits for you, if you've been paying NI for two years you'll get contributions based benefits and will have to apply separately for the income based too up.

NOT BUYING IT
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 28th Dec 16, 10:17 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Can't think you enough GlasweJen.

What iv'e decided to do is 1st speak to MS nurse 1st weekJan next appt.

I'll then decide if I consider the ssp route, would ssp not mean I'll lose the full pay?

Thanks for reminding me of the esa groups

Time will tell how this is to progress, I'll update in due course.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 28th Dec 16, 10:48 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    I'll then decide if I consider the ssp route, would ssp not mean I'll lose the full pay?
    It depends on your contract of employment. Most companies will pay you your full salary or part salary when you are off sick for a certain amount of time (say 4 weeks). The full or part pay you get will include SSP but that is just a technicality which is used to calculate how long you will remain on SSP. After that, you will be on SSP only and then after that on ESA. Some companies don't pay people when they are off sick at all and so you will go straight on to SSP.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 28th Dec 16, 12:02 PM
    • 6,054 Posts
    • 10,890 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Check your contract, mine sets out my sick allowance very clearly and all the terms I need to satisfy to get that allowance (keep in contact with department, attend doctors, hand in sick lines on time etc etc).

If your companies sick pay is discretionary or they don't pay it you will need to claim SSP only. When on SSP you can claim council tax support.

You can't start your 39 week clock to claim the mortgage support until you're on income support, income based JSA or income based ESA. Which could be in 28 weeks + time. If you're going to struggle to pay the mortgage you should contact shelter and ask for advice. The advice might be to sell and rent a property with the money you make on the house sale, get a lodger or apply for a payment holiday from your lender.

Long term you need to look at ways to pay the actual mortgage loan off as the SMI will usually only pay the interest though the interest paid is a flat % so for some people it may cover some of the loan, for people with sub prime mortgages it won't even cover all the interest.

Have you considered a career change rather than going off on the sick? You could possibly retrain while on ESA

NOT BUYING IT
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 28th Dec 16, 5:47 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Thanks Suzie and Gen

IPad typing hence didn't use full screen names.
    Tomorrow I'll get works contract and review ssp and suspension info as kindly advised.

Hope I don't have to call shelter. No offence though moving to parents was my last resort action.

Having considered selling my flat Ive had 3 valuations in past week.

I'm unlikely to make any money once fees are taken and I need to arrange some basic work at a small cost to make my flat 'presentable'

Not to worry with all the advice via mse'rs iv'e got 1st two-3 steps to follow.

1-read and review work contract-check ssp and suspension info.
    2-Attend MS nurse appt 1st week Jan and mention possibility of requesting ssp from doc or MS doc.
    3-Consider mentioned esa and top up options-Ive benn paying NI 26 yrs approx.

Thanks all enjoy 2017 I'll hopefully post new update 1st or 2nd week Jan unless I hear from work meantime.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

• McKneff
    • By McKneff 28th Dec 16, 6:11 PM
    • 35,306 Posts
    • 45,433 Thanks
    McKneff
    But don't, under any circumstances, resign.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 28th Dec 16, 7:53 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Don't resuigb is often advised via various forums

Sometimes easier said than done.

I did resign once approx 5 yrs ago as I knew targets were unlikely to be reached.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,105Posts Today

8,836Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin