Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 5:24 PM
    • 1,095Posts
    • 11,822Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 5:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 5:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 5:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043
Page 3
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 27th Dec 16, 12:13 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 9,227 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Hi All

Joining this thread to attempt to actually be organised for next year.

I left it far too late this year and nobody got anything handmade I did think about it around October ish but others things got in the way so if I am going to achieve anything for next year I need to start NOW!

Thanks for the links of suggestions, think its going to take me a year to read through them

Things I have learnt this year
    Don't leave wrapping to the last minute, I was wrapping presents just before delivering them which left no time to make them pretty and fancy (which I enjoy doing).
    Anything electrical, charge up before giving. I got DS a games console which needed charging, all Christmas day I was nagged "Is it ready yet?"

I hope everyone had a enjoyable Christmas and those that didn't then I wish you better next year.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 27th Dec 16, 12:18 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 33,142 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, its our turn to do nothing and still be in our pjs today, we are shattered and just doing what we fancy. I got an Amazon voucher off of DD2 so have downloaded 12 books to my kindle and have ordered crackers and wrapping paper for Thumper from Debenhams sale to be picked up tomorrow and thats about it, this afternoon it will be catch up tv from the things i didnt get to watch over christmas. I'm glad everyones christmas was lovely. I usually take my decs down before NYE i cant stand having them up into the new year so i think on Friday they will come down.

CURRENTLY READING A SPRING AFFAIR - MILLY JOHNSON
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £20
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £410/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 27th Dec 16, 1:28 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    I am back for a while at least I get my internet fitted next week, I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Newthrift congratulations! Welcome newbies to the thread, I have missed a few posts from 2016 thread so if I have missed anything I am sorry.

Went to Sainsbury's this morning and got a load of wrapping paper, cellotape and gift tags priced from 10p-50p. Got some luxury crackers in sale too for £3.00 and have good prizes in so that's for my Christmas table next year theme sorted, red, black and gold very sophisticated. I got two round Christmas table cloths with my aldi shop for £6.99 so they will last a long time.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2017
    Disabled and fabulous darlings!
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    £2 savers club 2017 no 32
    Sealed pot challenge #040
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 27th Dec 16, 2:13 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Hi All

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas. Ours went really well. We had our christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, did visiting on Christmas Day, lots of family over on Boxing Day and now relaxing while watching TV, eating lots of food and browsing the online sales.

The hampers I did for my daughters went down very well. I also did smaller hampers for my sisters & they loved them too so I think I will end up doing something similar in 2017.

I'm looking forward to another New Year and finding out what 2017 has in store for us.
    • welshkaren45
    • By welshkaren45 27th Dec 16, 2:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    welshkaren45
    Hiyas all I love to read your posts and one of my new years resolutions is to be ready for Christmas and generally more organised in life, so thought I would come out of hiding ..
    Aiming to spend less,want less and need less.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 27th Dec 16, 3:30 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 11,822 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread iammumtoone & welshkaren45.

It is great to see so many new people joining the thread!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043
    • AJGray
    • By AJGray 27th Dec 16, 3:39 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    AJGray
    Hi all, I love christmas prep and usually stat in the new year.

My stocks are near depleted so starting to stock back up.

I think this thread is right up my street
    Sealed Pot Challenge #012
    New Year New Start 2017 will be my Year
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 27th Dec 16, 3:43 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Don't know if anyone is already putting food and drink type things away for next year, but I went a bit OTT in the whittards sale and ended up with way too much hot chocolate and mulled wine flavour instant tea. Luckily both are good til into 2018, so are stashed for next year.
    Might be handy to some.
    Also got quite a few chutneys on sale that have well over a year on them to go away too. Though started making my own this year, so probably didn't need that many.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 27th Dec 16, 4:02 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 11,822 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread AJGray!

Crazy Cat Lady You will just need to remember that you have them stashed away and don't go out and buy more next year! It is quite surprising the length of the use by dates on some items.

SPC 10 - No 043
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 27th Dec 16, 4:58 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 9,227 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Popped into the supermarket today hoping to get some bits of decorations in the sale. They didn't have any left, I think shops are much better now at controlling what they need to you don't see the bargains as much as you used to.

We desperately need a new tree but I refuse to buy one at full price. I have been looking this time of year for the last few years but yet to find one all they had today was one that was still too much £40 even though it was half price and one for £10 which would have been ideal but it was pre-lit which I don't want as I like our own lights.

On the plus side I did get a big tin of sweets half price which I have put away to take into work on my birthday.

crazy cat lady you can never have too much hot chocolate.

Treasurequeen
    well done on your haul.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 27th Dec 16, 6:34 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 12,158 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Have the grandnibs all to myself as the parents are off to a hotel for the night (present from me) and as they return to China on new years eve that is when my decs will come down, cant think l'd enjoy them after that. Have not been to any sales yet, nor done any online, the Christmas cupboards are still full, for adults pressies and its no good getting for the nibs as they will have changed their minds in 12 months. Have met the challenge of Vegan meals, his Christmas day red onion and asparagus tart looked great, in fact, his wife insisted on eating it with him!!
    Lovely to see so many new posters, and Feisty, great to see you back. You are right to set limits on adults gifts, and home/hand made are very special.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 27th Dec 16, 7:45 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    We desperately need a new tree but I refuse to buy one at full price. I have been looking this time of year for the last few years but yet to find one all they had today was one that was still too much £40 even though it was half price and one for £10 which would have been ideal but it was pre-lit which I don't want as I like our own lights.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I got a new one last summer. £30 down from £120. 6 feet pre-lit. If you can wait til it's really out of season you'll get one for next to nothing. Nobody else is looking.
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 27th Dec 16, 7:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Hi everyone

I've been following this thread for years but only posted occasionally under my old username. Tried to log in on my new phone but as it's new I had to re enter my passwords and old email address Obviously couldn't remember the details so now after about 8 years I'm a newbie again . Anyway I'm determined to be even more organised next year

I'm not to bad, the presents are always finished early enough but everything else takes up so much time. I like to do hampers and homemade burst but always underestimate the time ever erythema takes.

Started my savings again for next year. Me and DH save £10 each every week so everything's covered. Top of the list is a new tree and all new decorations. I've had mine years and everything is starting to look tired now so I'm going to start a fresh next year.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 27th Dec 16, 8:14 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 12,711 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to the thread IAMMUMTOONE, AJGRAY and WELSHKAREN and MISCHIEFMANAGED, if you want to be organised ahead of next Christmas this is definitely the place to be.

MRSINVISIBLE hope you enjoy your evening with the grandnibs.

FREE, hope you've had a lovely relaxing day.

Well I didn't take the decs down today as DD2 arrived totally unexpectedly to take me out for a surprise. We picked DD1 up and she'd arranged somewhere to go which turned out to be a tea rooms in Cambridge. Unfortunately she'd never been to Cambridge before and I didn't know that's where we were going so couldn't warn her in time about the traffic unfriendly city centre and the pop up bollards and difficulty parking. Consequently we drove an hour to get there (DD had already been on the road for two hours coming up to me) an hour round Cambridge trying to park and then gave it up as a bad job. We were all really hungry by this time then we got a puncture and spent two hours in the dark at the side of the road waiting for the breakdown people (DD has a car that doesn't have a spare). We eventually got back to DD1's with mac Donald's then poor DD2 had to drive home and DH came to pick me up. I feel really sorry for DD2 that she planned a lovely surprise and it didn't work out. The best laid plans and all that.

Tomorrow I'm going with my sister, DD1 and the DGSs to a relaxed performance (autism friendly) of the Snow Queen at our local theatre so hopefully that will be fun for all.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 27th Dec 16, 8:55 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 9,227 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Started my savings again for next year. Me and DH save £10 each every week so everything's covered.
    Originally posted by Mischiefmanaged
    I really need to do this but I am not good with savings What do you keep the money in? I might get one of those tins that you need to open with a tin opener and try to not to open it till next Christmas.

Is there a Christmas saving club thread? I remember seeing something like that once.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 27th Dec 16, 9:00 PM
    • 4,344 Posts
    • 9,227 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I got a new one last summer. £30 down from £120. 6 feet pre-lit. If you can wait til it's really out of season you'll get one for next to nothing. Nobody else is looking.
    Originally posted by crazy-cat-lady
    Wow great buy Where did you get it, I have never seen Christmas trees for sale in the summer! Tomorrow I will have a look in a few more shops to see if I can find a suitable one.

If not I think I will still throw the one I have away this year as at least that will force me to do something about it next year.

Tree is still up I normally leave it until the 6th.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 27th Dec 16, 9:19 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 11,822 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread MischiefManaged!

ETA - perhaps joining the SPC thread might keep you on track with your saving - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5551152#topofpage
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 27-12-2016 at 10:16 PM.

SPC 10 - No 043
    • By 04624181 28th Dec 16, 6:55 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 4,561 Thanks
    Good Morning everyone,
    Welcome to all the newbies. It is great to see you all and we look forward to spending the year preparing for Christmas altogether.
    We had a fantastic time, we laughed so much on Christmas day as we were playing that new Speak Out game. Its hilarious.
    We have really chilled the last few days, just spent quality time together as family. Done a bit of online shopping and played some games. We off out today to a trampoline place, maybe do a bit of sale shopping and then got a hospital appt this afternoon. Managed to find homes for most of the kids toys too x I too need a new tree, I will throw this one and most of the decorations except the special ones and the ones the kids have made.
    Thank you for the new thread xxx
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 28th Dec 16, 7:14 AM
    • 5,538 Posts
    • 15,801 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Anyone looking for new trees UK CHRISTMAS WORLD.COM is having a sale. sorry can't do links.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 28th Dec 16, 8:58 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 12,158 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    I do a savings thingy we call it 'the betting' as we bet that we wont drop out, been doing it for over 10 years, Fave Cous, DD, BF are in this year, it runs from December to November, £10 a week, pays out £500 each, and the other £20 covers Christmas and New year weeks. Thanks, Chrissy, will look into that website.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

9,202Users online

Martin's Twitter