Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 24th Nov 16, 2:51 PM
    • 217Posts
    • 53Thanks
    MSE Luke
    To protect mental health, the MSE weekly email will no longer be sent between...
    • 24th Nov 16, 2:51 PM
    To protect mental health, the MSE weekly email will no longer be sent between... 24th Nov 16 at 2:51 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Read Martin's "To protect mental health, the MSE weekly email will no longer be sent between midnight & 5am" Blog.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 25th Nov 16, 4:43 PM
    • 7,245 Posts
    • 5,140 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 25th Nov 16, 4:43 PM
    • 25th Nov 16, 4:43 PM
    How very considerate.

I can't see people getting that excited about getting an MSE email in the early hours, but it's an easy thing to do, and sets a great example to other companies.

Good on yer!
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 25th Nov 16, 8:50 PM
    • 22,409 Posts
    • 55,853 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 25th Nov 16, 8:50 PM
    • 25th Nov 16, 8:50 PM
    I don't know - if these people are going to be unable to sleep, awake, and tempted to shop - then I don't see the issue with MSE providing offers that save them money when doing so. Surely it'd be more annoying to find out 12hrs later that you could have saved money if the email had only been released earlier?

(tongue firmly in cheek)
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • robin58
    • By robin58 27th Nov 16, 9:42 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    robin58
    • 27th Nov 16, 9:42 PM
    • 27th Nov 16, 9:42 PM
    Is it April 1st?

Typical Politically Correct BS.

Is someone now going to hold my hand in the supermarket as I anguish over the 7 different types of baked beans, whilst trying to find the correct one for tea.

God help us all !!!!
    Last edited by robin58; 27-11-2016 at 9:44 PM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 27th Nov 16, 10:02 PM
    • 6,691 Posts
    • 17,637 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 27th Nov 16, 10:02 PM
    • 27th Nov 16, 10:02 PM
    In this case, I'd rather miss a very limited special offer (& it doesn't get into the email unless the supplier confirms they can handle the volume) than cope with the fallout of a family member going wildly off the rails again.

Also, if MSE can do it, then other businesses might consider following suit & then the number of small hours panicky phone calls could drop. Which would be hugely appreciated.

I'm presuming you've read the blog post, robin58, & have had to cope with someone with mental health issues on the razzle?
    • robin58
    • By robin58 28th Nov 16, 2:37 AM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    robin58
    • 28th Nov 16, 2:37 AM
    • 28th Nov 16, 2:37 AM
    In this case, I'd rather miss a very limited special offer (& it doesn't get into the email unless the supplier confirms they can handle the volume) than cope with the fallout of a family member going wildly off the rails again.

Also, if MSE can do it, then other businesses might consider following suit & then the number of small hours panicky phone calls could drop. Which would be hugely appreciated.

I'm presuming you've read the blog post, robin58, & have had to cope with someone with mental health issues on the razzle?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    To be honest I have actually read the Policy Note not the blog post.

I get emails before I go to bed. as you see I am up late. This is due to being in a job for 30 years which was slated anytime between a 12pm - 1am time slot. I can ignore these emails quiet easily.

The only thing I find with the report , is that it is based on too many 'papers' and not any new research by the people who wrote it.

So to me all this report was based on was research by others in the subject and not anything new. And to me 'experts' are not very reliable people e.g. Brexit and Usa Elections.

Also all those quotes in green, what are the sources?

As for my extended family, we had over the years our share of mental issues but unfortunately it was more to do with 4 kids and the lack of money than having too much to spend.

Perhaps the institute can now write a report on how the forums are influencing people to buy things. Unlike the weekly email, this is 24/7.

Moving the email release time is like a spit in the wind. And to be honest shows the shallowness of this site and the institute.
    How little I know.!!
    • Cordy
    • By Cordy 30th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Cordy
    • 30th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    • 30th Nov 16, 12:22 PM
    Well done Martin. I had not recognised this as a problem either, but as a user of mental health services I remember now the feeling of anxiety if an 'important' email popped up during my long sleepless nights (the inability to differentiate being one of the symptoms). I don't remember inappropriate spending, but the feeling of never being on top of stuff was ever present.
    • Cordy
    • By Cordy 30th Nov 16, 12:27 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Cordy
    • 30th Nov 16, 12:27 PM
    • 30th Nov 16, 12:27 PM
    Is it April 1st?

Typical Politically Correct BS.

Is someone now going to hold my hand in the supermarket as I anguish over the 7 different types of baked beans, whilst trying to find the correct one for tea.

God help us all !!!!
    Originally posted by robin58
    Unfortunately Robin, this is exactly the type of dilemma that can cause hours of worry. I hope you never have to experience it!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 2nd Dec 16, 7:24 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    robin58
    • 2nd Dec 16, 7:24 PM
    • 2nd Dec 16, 7:24 PM
    Unfortunately Robin, this is exactly the type of dilemma that can cause hours of worry. I hope you never have to experience it!
    Originally posted by Cordy
    What happened to self will.

Not everybody needs someone to run their life for them.

A life of hard knocks makes you grow as a person, than somebody doing it all for you because peoples are now 'snowflakes'.
    How little I know.!!
    • Cordy
    • By Cordy 2nd Dec 16, 8:09 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Cordy
    What happened to self will.

Not everybody needs someone to run their life for them.

A life of hard knocks makes you grow as a person, than somebody doing it all for you because peoples are now 'snowflakes'.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Mmm, an interesting idea: making yourself well by using self will. Have you told the NHS? Such insight is wasted here on MSE.

I'm intrigued - how does self will help you when you're ill?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

904Posts Today

7,365Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin