Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 164
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    And then some! I can sort of contemplate m'husband dying younger than actuarially expected - some facts you unwillingly sidle past without making eye contact with, but what the heck I do with All The Tools (some of which I know how to use, others of which I'd be pushed to say what century they were used in let alone what they were for).
    Quite how we've got here with a full workbench and a socking great lathe up on the third floor, I can remember how [Owch!] but just not why (other than we don't have an external shed). Ah well.

Me, I stash food. And I acquired about 7 sewing machines that I really ought to let go to more appreciative homes. Who'll believe the 3 Kenwoods (All charity shop scores) are his? (I was taught to cook with a bowl, spoon, scales, chopping board & sharp knife - mechanisation & I haven't quite been properly introduced.) Yet he knows the names of each strangely shaped meal bit & what its for. Sticking to my ways, I know where the sharpening gear & the sticky plasters are.

The over-the-shoulder spell checker murmurs 'Dualit' & Prudently Vanishes - yes I can field strip & reassemble their toasters. Glorious engineering, real buy it once & love it all life long kit. I still am prepared to make my toast on a pointed stick or nattily twisted length of fencing wire come TEOTWAWKI.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I do enjoy your posts DfV
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 14,141 Posts
    • 132,171 Thanks
    mardatha
    I hate gadgets with a passion, the only one i actually like and use is the slowcooker. I am terrified of the Kenwood and make the RV use it, I hide in another room - the noise drives me insane. I feel really at home when I watch historians using a cauldron hanging over a wee fire lol - I could cope with that.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Not seen Buggalugs for a few days.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 3,447 Posts
    • 41,038 Thanks
    maryb
    I know you know that she will turn up but she's a bad girl to make you fret like that!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 18th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I know you know that she will turn up but she's a bad girl to make you fret like that!
    Originally posted by maryb
    I don't fret.

I know she'll turn up when she's good and ready.

FYI She has turned up. It was about an hour after I posted.

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 18th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 9,430 Posts
    • 55,667 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Little mare! She was waiting for you to click the Enter key. Cats!

Talking of which, if you go on the Facebook page of Bob Moher (Clean Comedian) you will find a post he did on 16th March entitled How to wash a Cat. Absolutely hilarious.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 18th Mar 17, 11:03 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I don't do Facebook.

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I'm glad she turned up Bob
    • jk0
    • By jk0 19th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 23,547 Thanks
    jk0
    Bank of England negligence killed hundreds of child evacuees.
    Anyone see this article in yesterday's Mail? The f***wits!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4325822/The-4-5BILLION-British-gold-sunk-Nazis.html

In it, Paish points out that two passenger liners heading for the U.S. with substantial amounts of gold on board had recently been torpedoed. On the very same day each one had set sail, he notes, the Bank of England had announced sales of large quantities of ‘foreign gold coin’.
    It turned out that it was standard Bank of England practice to inform the financial markets of gold sales on the day that the gold was shipped out.
    Using this publicly available information, German intelligence could then see which ships of a certain size and class were leaving the UK that day and target them.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 7,192 Posts
    • 19,637 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm not sure what's worse - hiding gold under children, declaring the City of Benares counts as a war grave (& will therefore not be searched for sunken treasure), or the idea that actually, some day it will despite it's other, human, payload.

I'm not at all surprised the Bank published its shipping dates though - in those days, you just did. What with war & terrorism, they've learned better (hurrah) but that was a different time. To apply today's judgement would be to misunderstand them almost willfully.

Me, I reckon that sort of failure to get it today of then is date-ist privilege, and so when people go all dewy eyed over lads going to the front "ignorant", I get a bit riled as the Pathe footage shows them cheerfully getting on with it, but also saying "baa" like the lambs to the slaughter they *knew* themselves to be & yet still judged it the right thing to do. Courage of a kind we don't have the opportunity to see much these days - perhaps no wonder we don't understand them.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 19th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,447 Posts
    • 41,038 Thanks
    maryb
    Tell me no-one has money in the Co-op that isn't covered by the compensation scheme

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/18/officials-draw-rescue-plan-co-op-bank/
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,213 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've been away for a while, visiting Liverpool on probate business, and the bit about the gold made me sit up. Can't do a linkie to a pic, but there was a plaque set into the wall of a bank that said:
    "In May 1940 when this country was threatened with invasion part of the nation's gold reserve was brought from London and lowered through the hatch [in the pavement at the base of the sign] for safe keeping in the vaults of Martins Bank".
    Presumably, if it looked like an invasion in the south of England was going to succeed, the gold could be shipped out of Liverpool to Canada.

Very sad to think that evacuee ships might have been used as cover for gold that *was* exported as payment - the gold standard didn't go bust till 1944, I think?
    Retired August 2016
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Mar 17, 7:31 AM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 70,529 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Tell me no-one has money in the Co-op that isn't covered by the compensation scheme

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/18/officials-draw-rescue-plan-co-op-bank/
    Thank you for this. We have quite a chunk of our savings in the co-op and, though I knew there were issues, I hadnt done anything about it. It is well under the limit of the scheme but that would be time and effort before we saw it again. It is my priority this week to move the money elsewhere...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    • 14,195 Posts
    • 38,496 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I'll admit to being surprised anyone is still with the Co-op Bank. It's been in trouble for quite some time now. Quick calculation time - and I think it must have been about 5 years ago I transferred my bank account out of there "in case".

I've been wondering for some time whether I should investigate the Ecology Bank and Triodos more closely as a possibility to be with..
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 20-03-2017 at 7:48 AM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 70,529 Thanks
    VJsmum
    To think, for once, is to act.

New account opened elsewhere with plans to transfer funds tomorrow.

Thanks again...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 20th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 12,241 Posts
    • 216,157 Thanks
    greenbee
    I've used Triodos in the past MTSM. Not with them at the moment as I've used the money paying to do the house up... It's covered by the Dutch deposit guarantee system as the UK bank is part of the Dutch bank. The only issue I had with them was that their online systems weren't great. But hopefully that has improved.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 14,195 Posts
    • 38,496 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've used Triodos in the past MTSM. Not with them at the moment as I've used the money paying to do the house up... It's covered by the Dutch deposit guarantee system as the UK bank is part of the Dutch bank. The only issue I had with them was that their online systems weren't great. But hopefully that has improved.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    What's the Dutch deposit scheme like?

I imagine that it's much the same - or better...

I don't do online banking - so don't know if they would function for me? I manage both my savings (based in home city) and bank account (ditto) by getting to branches when I'm physically near them + phonecalls + post (if it comes to putting a cheque into my bank account and I won't be near a branch for a while).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 20-03-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 20th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 12,241 Posts
    • 216,157 Thanks
    greenbee
    What's the Dutch deposit scheme like?

I imagine that it's much the same - or better...

I don't do online banking - so don't know if they would function for me? I manage both my savings (based in home city) and bank account (ditto) by getting to branches when I'm physically near them + phonecalls + post (if it comes to putting a cheque into my bank account and I won't be near a branch for a while).
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Sounds like you need to do some research then. Triodos don't have branches. Maybe start by finding out what banks have branches near you and then select from those.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 22nd Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 23,547 Thanks
    jk0
    Odd dream about leaving UK
    I had a very odd dream last night. I was escaping the UK in a small boat and transferring to a larger boat out in the Channel.

The main theme of the dream was that I did not have any Francs (I know) to use when I got to France. My UK cards were unable to be used there. Not sure if that was due to me being a fugitive, or some other reason.

In view of this I am considering keeping hold of some Euros for SHTF.

Any thoughts?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 14,141 Posts
    • 132,171 Thanks
    mardatha
    Good thinking jk0, but maybe it means other currencies in general or even other things besides money? Like gold?
    Personally I would never, ever, ever consider having money in an online-only bank. Watching the Iceland carryon proved me right on that one.Reading all the forums full of desperate people trying to transfer money around.. awful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

565Posts Today

4,351Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin