Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 9th Jul 16, 5:08 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 11,560 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:08 PM
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:08 PM
    Yay, I'm first, I'm first!!!!!!
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jul 16, 5:09 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,738 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:09 PM
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:09 PM
    Well - that was a fair way to deal with this Zippy.

Back to business as per normal then.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 9th Jul 16, 5:13 PM
    • 9,463 Posts
    • 49,665 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:13 PM
    I guess I'd better make a post, so I'll be able to find the thread, when I search by my Username.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jul 16, 5:15 PM
    • 4,213 Posts
    • 44,466 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:15 PM
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:15 PM
    I'se here.... so are we allowed to mention politics on this one or not?
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 9th Jul 16, 5:16 PM
    • 9,170 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:16 PM
    click "thread tools" and "subscribe to the thread" and you can choose if you get notifications etc
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• singlestep
    • By singlestep 9th Jul 16, 5:16 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    singlestep
    Sending positive thoughts this thread's way.

I think I may have posted once on the long thread but I was a frequent lurker and really value all the advice, wisdom and camaraderie it contains, even if I myself am not really up to the task of contributing meaningfully.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 9th Jul 16, 5:18 PM
    • 9,170 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 9th Jul 16, 5:18 PM
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    YAY!!!!

the majority voted 54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome

I can't say what people can and can't discuss. I guess if it's relevant to the thread and not just political rants etc and contentious issues then that's ok? I would say let the thread find its groove and take it from there. If something's being discussed people don't like, other tangents of conversation will always run on so contribute to the parts you appreciate and that interest you? I dunno!

As long as people are considerate of other peoples feelings and limits, and are respectful, then i can only see the thread growing to be another essential resource.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Jul 16, 5:18 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,738 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    yes....in a word. That was how the vote went.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 9th Jul 16, 5:21 PM
    • 9,170 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    zippychick
    Sending positive thoughts this thread's way.

I think I may have posted once on the long thread but I was a frequent lurker and really value all the advice, wisdom and camaraderie it contains, even if I myself am not really up to the task of contributing meaningfully.
    Originally posted by singlestep
    That's nice - maybe you just feel a little bit braver and can contribute when you have something of value. Which i'm sure is more than you realise!!

There's no rule as to how often someone has to post - their opinion is just as valid regardless of post count.

Least those are my thoughts

• lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 9th Jul 16, 5:23 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 11,560 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    Thanks Zippy! Looking forward to moving on in a positive frame of mind....
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 9th Jul 16, 5:27 PM
    • 9,170 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    zippychick
    Back to Business then! What's all this prepping malarky about anyway???

I'm off to pour a cider. Happy Saturday to all. Tonight, i will be prepping a rum and a hangover smoothie!!!

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 9th Jul 16, 5:31 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 13,394 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Bless you Zippy!

Calling all preppers>>> Self reliance talk to be found here. :
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 09-07-2016 at 5:33 PM.
    ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Perplexed Pineapple
    • By Perplexed Pineapple 9th Jul 16, 5:38 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 6,130 Thanks
    Perplexed Pineapple
    Thanks Zippy for this democratic solution. Welcome to all newbies and lurkers from the old thread and please stay around. Prep on!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jul 16, 5:42 PM
    • 4,213 Posts
    • 44,466 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hello singlestep! Nice to "meet" you. I hope you'll drop in regularly
    • melodramaticme
    • By melodramaticme 9th Jul 16, 5:46 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    melodramaticme
    Long time lurker here, I have learned loads from these threads in the past and hope to continue to learn more.
    I don't post much but read every day and like to hear everyone's views.

#196 1% at a time 2013
    1%= £45. £4500/£4500... 100%/100%
    New goal 1% =£62 Loan £6200/£6200 100%/100%

Savings goal £30,000 1% = £300.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jul 16, 5:47 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 37,064 Thanks
    maryb
    It's nice to be all together again.

Do you like my new prepperish signature? I nicked it off a birthday card
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 9th Jul 16, 5:48 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    singlestep
    Hello singlestep! Nice to "meet" you. I hope you'll drop in regularly
    Thanks. I suspect some of you would despair of me and my sometimes spendthrift ways.

During the years I lurked on the last thread, I've at least learned what I need to learn to do, refreshed a few basic skills and begun thinking about the medium to long-term future. I have a lot to thank the contributors for and long may that continue!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Jul 16, 5:53 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 37,064 Thanks
    maryb
    Do tell Singlestep? Always interesting to hear what skills people are planning to learn.

There's always someone on here who is knowledgeable
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 9th Jul 16, 5:57 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 3,571 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Just saying hi - prepping for normal day to day life over here! Life with disability and illness mixed with small children and a job something always comes up!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,302Users online

Martin's Twitter