Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisjblack23
    • By Chrisjblack23 8th Jul 16, 6:43 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chrisjblack23
    Lowells Debt that I do not owe!
    • 8th Jul 16, 6:43 AM
    Lowells Debt that I do not owe! 8th Jul 16 at 6:43 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Hope you can help with this as I'm at a bit of a loose end!

My girlfriend received a letter from Lowell Financial Ltd stating she owed the sum of around £800 due to outstanding debt from Shop Direct Ltd in June 2015 whom they have bought the debt from.

They had her full name (she has pretty common name) and quoted an old address (she hadn't lived there for 3 years or so)

In the first instance we contact Lowell to dispute this and reported this as fraud. We have recently received a further letter outlining the findings.

They concluded that the debt did belong to us and stated a few vague bullet points as evidence

- Credit file indicated she lives at that address at the time of debt
    - Payments were being made against the debt until Aug 2015
    -All the goods were delivered.

Once again, I rang to dispute the findings in this letter and they could give me very little information other than they stand by the decision and will freeze the debt for 30days whilst we continue our investigation.

My plan was to do as follows:

1) Get a hard copy of my credit file (I already checked the report online via clearscore and the debt does not appear on there nor does it show that Lowells have done a search on it.

2) Obtain bank statements covering the start period of the debt (01/06/2015) to the last payment date (28/08/2015) as evidence that no payment has ever been made

3) I also plan to get my girlfriend to ring Shop Direct to obtain further information.

I have also read contradicting reports as to whether I should request a CCA.

Can anyone help/advise with this? It's stressing us both out!

Thanks
Page 2
    • Distemper
    • By Distemper 20th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Distemper
    I have just submitted a complaint with the ombudsman as well.. Do I need to contact Lowells to tell them of this??
    I found an email I sent EE back in 2013 disputing this bill and detailing every person I spoke to over a 2 day period who never mentioned there was an outstanding bill but said I would be due a refund of £40-£50 .... I will just have to wait and see I guess..
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 20th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I have just submitted a complaint with the ombudsman as well.. Do I need to contact Lowells to tell them of this??
    I found an email I sent EE back in 2013 disputing this bill and detailing every person I spoke to over a 2 day period who never mentioned there was an outstanding bill but said I would be due a refund of £40-£50 .... I will just have to wait and see I guess..
    Originally posted by Distemper
    Lowell will of bought the debt.

If they write again, tell them you are disputing the debt with the original creditor, as they have not provided you with sufficient proof of liability.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Distemper
    • By Distemper 20th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Distemper
    Brilliant, thanks for that
    • Distemper
    • By Distemper 21st Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Distemper
    I submitted my complaints to both resolver and the ombudsman and they have both come back and said they can't help... I am disputing the debt because I do not owe it and now at a loss as to how I should proceed next .. It is crazy you can be harassed like this and no-one will help
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 21st Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11,509 Posts
    • 8,645 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I think the only recourse open to them is the courts. They are unlikely to try that route for £85.

However, they are probably reporting a default on your credit file, which will be there till 2019.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

5,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin