Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 19th Apr 16, 1:58 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 21Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    Can you rent out a home bought with a Help to Buy ISA/Lifetime ISA?
    • #1
    • 19th Apr 16, 1:58 PM
    Can you rent out a home bought with a Help to Buy ISA/Lifetime ISA? 19th Apr 16 at 1:58 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

    Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • LL151
    • By LL151 12th May 16, 10:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th May 16, 10:37 PM
    Does the same apply to taking in a lodger?
    • #2
    • 12th May 16, 10:37 PM
    if you use the help to buy isa to buy your home, would you also be allowed to take in a lodger from the outset, through the rent -a-room scheme or similar- or would similar rule apply only in the case of a change of circumstance?
    • pruteh
    • By pruteh 15th Jan 17, 8:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 15th Jan 17, 8:55 PM
    Unclear about HTB Equity Scheme
    • #3
    • 15th Jan 17, 8:55 PM
    My wife and I have a family home in the West Midlands that we bought just over two years ago on the HTB equity scheme.
    Our circumstances have changed quite significantly since we moved in - we have just had our first child, my wife is planning to be on maternity leave for one and a half years and parents have retired.
    Due to these circumstances we are planning to move back to live with my parents in the East Midlands and would like to put our property in the West Midlands up to rent.
    Based on this thread, I would like some advice on:
    - Are we allowed to do this under the HTB scheme? It would appear on Martin's thread that the change in circumstances is a good enough reason to place the house on to rent temporarily.
    - Who do I need to notify of these change of circumstances and placing the house to rent?
    - What are the risks?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

779Posts Today

6,891Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin