Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,869Posts
    • 59,340Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
Page 3
    • jinny
    • By jinny 30th Dec 15, 7:57 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Drusilla I so identify with the gas man thing
    Being Kondoed for me - no more not opening the door cos I was too embarrassed at the clutter in my kitchen.
    Especially under the sink that had stuff rammed underneath the sink where the meter is. I'm still not keen on folks just knocking on my door even family. It's to do with my anxiety but if they say they are on the way I'm fine with that now. I know the old saying folks should take you as you are or they know where the door is but I used to feel anxious when I got visitors. No more Got MK to thank for that.
    I read a book once about organising and the two ladies that wrote it
    Said they had Cant have anyone over syndrome or CHAOS for short.
    That was me
    Last edited by jinny; 30-12-2015 at 8:01 PM.
    Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together - Elizabeth Taylor
    • mavvymoo
    • By mavvymoo 30th Dec 15, 8:28 PM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 31,954 Thanks
    mavvymoo
    Woo hoo How exciting a lovely new shiny thread Thank you greent. Made my way here as there is so many newbies on the facebook group thought there must be something joyful going on And I was proved right

Welcome everyone and into 2016 we go No Black Dog and feeling joyful and up beat

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice

Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 30th Dec 15, 8:41 PM
    • 15,219 Posts
    • 194,530 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Mavvy quick question for you, do you think that the animal sanctuary could use small knitted hedgehogs or bunny rabbits to sell - homemade do won't have kite marks etc. I have knitted the hedgehogs for a small hog rescue place in Devon but just thinking that if the one you support could use some I could split them between the two.
    Let me know what you think please, I could earmark some stash for the as a good cause project.
    grocery challenge June budget £400 spent £164.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on magic of tidying up
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Dec 15, 9:18 PM
    • 11,002 Posts
    • 211,973 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I do believe I've cracked the secret of assisting Mum to organise and declutter - small bursts, I do the legwork, she makes the decisions and I organise the disposal to chazzers or recycling. By only having her involved for the middle bit, the decision making, I'm minimising her chance to get stressed and over-tired and just veto the whole process.

Yesterday it was the room off the kitchen, and she was astonished at how much better it was afterwards. Today, we did another kitchen cupboard, to more astonishment. Tomorrow's plans include the other kitchen countertop..... orderliness is spreading left, right and centre.

I feel quietly encouraged and just love seeing the decluttered spaces. Tell ya, when I take off for my flat with all the stuff to be chazzered, there will be a few wide-open spaces behind me.

Bring it on!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 30th Dec 15, 9:26 PM
    • 11,964 Posts
    • 213,437 Thanks
    greenbee
    Tell ya, when I take off for my flat with all the stuff to be chazzered, there will be a few wide-open spaces behind me.

Bring it on!
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Congrats GQ... although... do you have room for all this stuff in your flat?
    • fab n funky mum
    • By fab n funky mum 30th Dec 15, 9:31 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    fab n funky mum
    I'm a long time lurker and rarely post as I have fell off the KonMari wagon somewhat!
    Thanks for the shiny new thread, I will resolve to do more in 2016.
    I have joined the FB group, Hello MandM90 and everyone else!
    Linda x
    I love to paint faces ... and canvases and bags and shoes...
    • jinny
    • By jinny 30th Dec 15, 9:34 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Well done GQ you've really been a star for your parents they will feel the benefit from you efforts. Fantastic
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Dec 15, 9:38 PM
    • 11,002 Posts
    • 211,973 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Congrats GQ... although... do you have room for all this stuff in your flat?
    Originally posted by greenbee
    No! It's presence in my flat is an intermediate stage to get it re-homed. They're beggars here for not concluding the final stage of a declutter - getting it outta the door.

So I take control of it, it sits briefly in my flat (in a pile on the living room floor) and I tote it down to the chazzer. It might seem a bit strange, but it's the only real way that works.

Otherwise, I can put stuff RIGHT BY THE FRONT DOOR with a label on it saying FOR THE CHARITY SHOP and it will be walked past 6 days a week by people who will then be walking past about 6 charity shops and it will still be there 9 months later.

Or until I physically put it in someone's hand as they leave the building so they can't demur about doing it later/ on another day/ when the moon is in a different phase/ whatever the excuse du jour may be.

It is a lot easier for me to do it myself. Plus I get the happy emotion of handing it over at the other end.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• katkin
    • By katkin 30th Dec 15, 9:38 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 7,141 Thanks
    katkin
    How exciting a new book, a new era. I'm an avid lurker to this thread, seldom post but boy has it made my home life much more efficient, organised and full of joy. Even my knicker drawers make me smile haha.

So I'm grateful to be back in lurk mode xxx
    • drusilla
    • By drusilla 30th Dec 15, 9:53 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    drusilla
    Wow 50 posts already. Great to see so many new people joining in.
    I know from experience that the journey can be difficult but KM does make a difference.
    De cluttering Konvert.
    Getting there

Finding a new home under all the STUFF!
    • tooties
    • By tooties 30th Dec 15, 10:05 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    tooties
    Evening Folks,

I kondoed my house last year but realise its an ongoing process so will be restarting again once husband goes back to work. Can't get a thing done when he is here.

regards
    :dro ol:
    • mavvymoo
    • By mavvymoo 30th Dec 15, 10:08 PM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 31,954 Thanks
    mavvymoo
    Mrs MP I am sure they would love them Thats very kind of you.

Hillside are now closed until March.But the young lady( Who works at Hillside) and her Mum that I know.Do so much animal charity work for many different causes.Live in Shezzer and would be delighted I know they look after rescue hogs.They have a Charity called Birds,Bugs and Beasties they are on FB.If you want to check them out.

I can always take you to meet them when you are down

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice

Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending

• dragonette
    • By dragonette 30th Dec 15, 10:49 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 9,342 Thanks
    dragonette
    ooh new thread

I haven't been around much recently, Christmas and health etc.

GQ fantastic progress! Def a gold star for you

Confession time: I have purchased fabric for my home. Not in a profligate way, but its to replace net curtains which are still functional but do not work with the light in the room (bought for my previous flat with blazing sunshine, here they make the room grey and drab) and are a bit tatty, as my cat (as a kitten) used to climb them. So I have peach fine netting to go up instead.

Incidentally, it's crazy difficult to get peach fabric, its very clearly *not* a fashionable colour atm. Well I don't care, my bedroom is cream with shades of blue, the hints of peach make it warmer while still being restful!

Cannot for the life of me remember who said about intolerance to mess; I'm getting this. Thankfully mostly only in my own home! Though I did have a nightmare while staying over at the parental home about my old bedroom there - I really want to sort it but keep being disuaded. And no, its not a priority in any practical sense whatsoever but it nags at me.

I find the fretting over messiness tends to hit late at night or when I'm stressed/crashing. Mood plays a very strong role in this for me.
    I havent read the first book, and prob wont read the second, but the change in mindset is fabulous. My aim is to have everything stored in a way that means I don't have to move other things to get to the items I need - partly to make life easier on high pain days, partly so I dont forget what I have when brain fog hits, and the rest so if I do need help from others, its easy for them to find items. The kitchen, bathroom, and my bedroom are mostly done, the living room keeps nagging me to do *something* christmas decs arent helping me to see what it is that needs done. Something just doesnt feel right!
    Starting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady!
    • katkin
    • By katkin 31st Dec 15, 12:04 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 7,141 Thanks
    katkin
    Our library has added her books to the "suggested" reading lists - so no cost there and it's easy enough to jot down the key points.

There's loads of folding and whatnot tutorials on you tube too.

My one sanctuary is our bedroom , it's minimal, off white and so very relaxing. We both sleep better in it. It's a joyous space.

Back to the folding, it gets easier and I iron a lot less. There's nothing in mt wardrobe I don't love. Getting ready for work is simple and I love all I wear.

Go for baby steps as suggested by book one and you may just adore it x
    • Joyfully
    • By Joyfully 31st Dec 15, 12:15 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Joyfully
    Thank you Greent for the new shiny thread. I did read all of the old thread late October and did do some Kondoing but stopped over Christmas. Finding it a little hard to start again but the deccies are down.
    For the newbies -what have I learnt so far? It is helping me more with control, cleaning is quicker, I can lay my hand on anything within seconds on the Kondod parts. The place feels bigger as there is more space.
    Don't get me wrong I have a lot yet to do! A tangible method giving intangible results.....
    Take care x
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 31st Dec 15, 12:18 AM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 13,592 Thanks
    greentiger
    Lovely and tidy in here!

Grey Queen, my Latin's very rusty but veni, vidi, eradici may be what you're looking for. Veni, vidi - definitely correct.
    Stashbusting 102/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 11/17
    Reading Challenge 10/40
    Film Challenge 22/52
    • Charis
    • By Charis 31st Dec 15, 12:18 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 12,796 Thanks
    Charis
    Awesome thanks for the new thread.

The chazzer got some non joyful boots and a never used camera tripod - 10 years old and mint in the box. Plus a rucksack full of gubbins.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Oops, I read that as 'a rucksack full of goblins'
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 31st Dec 15, 2:15 AM
    • 26,932 Posts
    • 78,598 Thanks
    jackieb
    I used to dip into, and enjoy, the original thread and i've watched loads of videos of this method online. I've bit the bullet and just ordered the book.

Something needs to be done as I feel as if i'm being suffocated. I'm not one for usually doing new year resolutions as they normally fall by the wayside and make you feel more inadequate than ever But I feel like it's a good time to start, and I love the positivity of the book and of everyone who takes part here. So, hello!
    • jinny
    • By jinny 31st Dec 15, 2:44 AM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 21,746 Thanks
    jinny
    Hi JackieB saw your post when I got up to make a cuppa
    I'm having an insomnia night. That said I get less of them now I'm sure it's will being Kondoed
    Welcome to the thread you won't regret it one bit
    It can be a bit distruptive and daunting at first but you get there in the end. Life is so much easier with less and it has a knock on effect in other areas of your life. My day is more structured I am no longer spending as much money or time looking for things. I went on to drastically cut my wardrobe down to a minimilist very basic capsule wardrobe I only have a 2ft rail. Lots of accessories though to change the look. Nobody has notices probably don't care. A good place to start is clothing. Most tackle their knicker drawer! I don't think I will buy the new book I have the first cant see how it will be different
    Let us know how you are doing and good luck
    • aliwali
    • By aliwali 31st Dec 15, 8:04 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    aliwali
    Hi all, I have just finished reading the book. It's really very amusing and worth a read. She suggests 6 months should do a thorough clearance so I'm going to start tomorrow and I'll be done by the summer holidays!!!

Someone said above about an intolerance to mess, I really need to get that, I'm desperate to get that!! Look forward to joining you all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,751Users online

Martin's Twitter