Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Bulb
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Bulb 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 2
  • Will at Bulb
    Unfortunately wholesale prices have gone up 24% in the last few months which has forced us to increase our prices. We'll drop them again as soon as wholesale energy allows. I'm sorry that it was so close to joining for you, I know that's especially frustrating.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • ruth56
    • By ruth56 13th Feb 17, 4:44 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ruth56
    Been with Bulb since August
    Smooth changeover and actually pretty much the best value at the moment as a bonus! Love the customer service, emails reminding me when payment is about to be taken and when to take readings mean that I know I am keeping payments straight. Just wish I could get a smart meter from them....any chance?
  • Will at Bulb
    Smooth changeover and actually pretty much the best value at the moment as a bonus! Love the customer service, emails reminding me when payment is about to be taken and when to take readings mean that I know I am keeping payments straight. Just wish I could get a smart meter from them....any chance?
    Originally posted by ruth56
    Amazing, we love hearing when you like how we're doing things

We're working on smart meters, it's something we're planning for this year.
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • pchelpman
    • By pchelpman 23rd Feb 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    pchelpman
    After many hours of research into prices, customer services, dodgy practices and other issues across the industry I signed up to BULB today. All done by phone as I wanted a few points clarified first.

Very straightforward. Welcome pack received immediately.

Now off to change the inital generic password in the "MyBulb" dashboard and set up my account preferences.

First time not using a "Big" provider but I like the cut of their jib so will give it ago. I'll report back in due course.
    Last edited by pchelpman; 24-02-2017 at 9:14 AM.
  • Will at Bulb
    Great to have you with us pchelpman. And glad to hear that you found the sign up nice and smooth. Let us know if there's anything you need or see anything we could be doing better.
    • WaynePerkins13
    • By WaynePerkins13 27th Feb 17, 11:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WaynePerkins13
    Hi there,
    After doing quite a bit of research and needing to switch suppliers, I have decided to try Bulb.
    I hope this is a good decision for us.
    The price comparison has been quite competitive and hope it continues to be this way during my time with you. We usually go with the bigger energy companies but have decided to try you instead. The welcome chocolates would be greatly appreciated!

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Kind regards
    Wayne
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 28-02-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Requesting PM
  • Will at Bulb
    Haha, fortune favours the bold Wayne. Don't ask and you don't get

The office has been on a bit of a fruit New Years detox so I don't know how much chocolate we have lying around, but I'm sure we could find something nice.

Thanks for joining, we'll keep up the good work and keep trying to impress you.
    • HelenFT
    • By HelenFT 20th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HelenFT
    Switched to Bulb a few weeks ago and it has gone very smoothly so far. Very easy and the fact that the electricity is all renewable is important to me which, on top of the substantial savings, makes it worth trying anyway.
    • Jacobhc
    • By Jacobhc 4th Apr 17, 3:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jacobhc
    As they say a Light went (Bulb!) on above my head!
    Just switched my Mum and gald to be rid of EDF! Bulbs customer service is best ever I have dealt with!
  • Will at Bulb
    Just switched my Mum and gald to be rid of EDF! Bulbs customer service is best ever I have dealt with!
    Originally posted by Jacobhc
    Great to have you with us Jacobhc Glad that you like our service too. We try hard to make it the best we can.
    • pixelshrink
    • By pixelshrink 20th Apr 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pixelshrink
    Impressed so far
    They're doing a good job for me, even before they announced the price cuts today. Switch went smoothly, and when I've rung them on 2 occasions I got through immediately - very rare these days! Only disadvantage is the phone lines close at 6pm and are not open at weekends.
    Last edited by pixelshrink; 20-04-2017 at 8:39 PM. Reason: Saw you don't allow affiliate links, sorry.
    • mattcpb
    • By mattcpb 24th Apr 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mattcpb
    Direct Debits
    Is it still the case that I would have to sign up via the phone to use a direct debit payment?
    If I do this, I assume I will not get the MSE cashback as the sign up will not be via the site?
    And if I don't, I won't get my Santander 123 account cashback on the direct debit.
    Either way, it makes you even more expensive (you already are more expensive than the cheapest deals) and makes it a deal breaker.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 24th Apr 17, 7:56 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Is it still the case that I would have to sign up via the phone to use a direct debit payment?
    If I do this, I assume I will not get the MSE cashback as the sign up will not be via the site?
    And if I don't, I won't get my Santander 123 account cashback on the direct debit.
    Either way, it makes you even more expensive (you already are more expensive than the cheapest deals) and makes it a deal breaker.
    Originally posted by mattcpb
    Just searched for Bulb on the CEC. Had to look a very,very long way down the list to find them. Their Vari-fair tariff was the first one I found.

The CEC allows me to switch via them and payment is via monthly DD.

If you click the 'switch & get cashback" button on the CEC, you should see it for yourself too
    (It forwards you to MoneySuperMarket.com to make the application as that is the accredited switching site the CEC uses)
    • mattcpb
    • By mattcpb 25th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mattcpb
    Just searched for Bulb on the CEC. Had to look a very,very long way down the list to find them. Their Vari-fair tariff was the first one I found.

The CEC allows me to switch via them and payment is via monthly DD.

If you click the 'switch & get cashback" button on the CEC, you should see it for yourself too
    (It forwards you to MoneySuperMarket.com to make the application as that is the accredited switching site the CEC uses)
    Originally posted by footyguy

Thanks, just tried this and can see that there are direct debit details to fill in.
    When I look through the list on the CEC they are about 5th for me, not too much more than the cheapest - so considering them for the renewable energy aspect.
  • Will at Bulb
    Thanks footyguy, you're absolutely right. Anyone who joins Bulb through MSE will have their payments set up via Direct Debit.
    • Merry Mawkin
    • By Merry Mawkin 9th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Merry Mawkin
    Beware if you switch with MSE you only get back £30 which I think is very small so switch by going elsewhere.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 9th May 17, 11:36 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Beware if you switch with MSE you only get back £30 which I think is very small so switch by going elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Merry Mawkin

Surely you can only get the MSE collective switch by going via MSE (or MoneySuperMarket.com)
    • Merry Mawkin
    • By Merry Mawkin 10th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Merry Mawkin
    If you switch by being recommend by a Bulb account holder you both get £50 as a welcome

I was going to send you a PM footyguy on how to do it but you have blocked all PMs.
    Last edited by Merry Mawkin; 10-05-2017 at 9:13 PM.
    • icharus
    • By icharus 10th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    icharus
    I went to switch to Bulb and found part way through that I woud be charged almost £100 pa extra because I appear to have an IGT.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 11th May 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    If you switch by being recommend by a Bulb account holder you both get £50 as a welcome

I was going to send you a PM footyguy on how to do it but you have blocked all PMs.
    Originally posted by Merry Mawkin
    Feel free to explain in this thread how one applies through a referral link and still get the MSE collective tariff.
    No reason to keep it secret if it's all above board
    (Do not post any referral links here)

As far as I know, if you go through a referral link, you only get the options of generally available (expensive) bulb tariffs
    You can only get the MSE collective tariff by applying via the CEC or MoneySuperMarket.com, where you cannot add a referral link as well.
    You get a possible £30 cashback via the CEC anyway, and hopefully the collective tariff saves you at least £20 over any of the regular Bulb tariffs.

As always, consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you. That needs to be the CEC (or their parent company) to get the collective tariff included in the list ... but be prepared to look a long way down to find bulb. Even MSE has to include the possible cashback on top of the collective tariff to make it cometitive for an average user.

In regards to possible cashback, I would refer to MSE's own 5 rules,
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-websites

in particular
    1. Think of cashback as a bonus only – it's not guaranteed
    The cashback isn't yours until it's in your bank account
    and
    4. Focus on the cheapest deal, not the biggest cashback
    Last edited by footyguy; 11-05-2017 at 2:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,617Posts Today

5,269Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin