Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 1
    • andypreston
    • By andypreston 9th Mar 16, 1:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    andypreston
    • 9th Mar 16, 1:59 PM
    • 9th Mar 16, 1:59 PM
    So far so good. Switch from (MSE recommended) Sainsbury's Fix went smoothly and on time. No probs contacting Avro - email seems to work best. Of course they are new and small, so there may be some teething troubles ahead, but so far I'm very pleased - not least to save about £300 a year for a variable tariff
    • cranford
    • By cranford 15th Mar 16, 7:45 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    cranford
    • 15th Mar 16, 7:45 PM
    Avro Switch
    • 15th Mar 16, 7:45 PM
    I initiated a switch online yesterday for completion on 14th April.
    I did email them on Saturday to get clarification that economy 7 rate are the same for day and night but since I have stopped using tumble dryer at night this suits me fine. Email was answered within a few hour and signed by the big boss. maybe it really was him as offices are closed at weekends.
    Welcome pack came within the hour by email. No gas meter point on the pdf they asked you to check so I rang to get this confirmed and phone was answered quickly.
    The only other points to look out for is that they may do a hard credit check and the DD starts 10 days before the supply.
    Luckily in one of my former jobs I spent nearly 10 years sorting out computer systems billing problems for a Gas co.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 24th Mar 16, 12:48 PM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 24th Mar 16, 12:48 PM
    • 24th Mar 16, 12:48 PM
    I was looking at this supplier's website today, and they list all their current prices/tariffs here:

http://www.avroenergy.co.uk/Prices.aspx

Interestingly, when you download their pricelist, they appear to offer a no standing charge tariff for both gas and/or electricity. This seems much cheaper than anyone else offering a no standing charge tariff.
    (may be suitable for extremely low users)

But how do you get this tariff? It doesn't seem to be listed on any comparison site. Even if you request a quote from the Avro website, it doesn't seem to offer this tariff as an option.

Edit:
    Instead, comparison sites and their own website appears to offer a additional slightly cheaper 'Simple & Fix' tariff (compared to 'Simple & Save' as on the download), but neither of these tariffs are zero standing charge.

Edit 2:
    The downloadable price list is dated as of 04 December 2015
    Unfortunately, it appears Avro opted to remove the No Standing Charge tariff that day. It was only launched 30 November 2015

Simple & Save was not launched until 07 December 2015 (and prices were amended 29 January 2016)

Simple & Fix was not launched until 11 March 2016

(Thanks to energylynx for these dates)

Good to see Avro are keeping their website, and in particular their tariff info, up to date
    Last edited by footyguy; 24-03-2016 at 1:41 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 24th Mar 16, 1:14 PM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 24th Mar 16, 1:14 PM
    • 24th Mar 16, 1:14 PM
    I initiated a switch online yesterday for completion on 14th April. ...

The only other points to look out for is that.. the DD starts 10 days before the supply.....
    Originally posted by cranford
    It says on their website

Your first payment will be on the 21st day after signing up. Then by Monthly Direct Debit thereafter.
    But in their terms it says

9.3.2 The Direct Debit will be taken the day after the cancellation period referred to in clause 7 ends and monthly thereafter.
    Clause 7 refers to 14 days possible cancellation period following the date of your receipt of your Welcome Pack.

... so I don't know if they allow 7 days from application for you to receive the welcome pack?
    • cranford
    • By cranford 24th Mar 16, 3:40 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    cranford
    • 24th Mar 16, 3:40 PM
    AVRO welcome pack.
    • 24th Mar 16, 3:40 PM
    The Welcome packs comes by email and is promised to come within a few hours of signing up. In my case in about 30 mins.
    • ARTiSAN
    • By ARTiSAN 1st Apr 16, 6:14 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ARTiSAN
    • 1st Apr 16, 6:14 PM
    Signed Up Today
    • 1st Apr 16, 6:14 PM
    My USwitch Collective tariff on EON comes to an end soon so EON have said I can change tariff/supplier without any exit fees. Having done some research I've now switched to a fixed AVRO tariff and should save £80 per annum. Its not a great saving however I object to funding the Big 6 out of principle.

As there's no exit fee with AVRO if they're no good or energy costs fall I can just leave. If we don't support the smaller energy suppliers and move away from the Big 6 we'll just continue to be ripped off.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 21st Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    boatman
    • 21st Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    • 21st Apr 16, 11:42 AM
    They have a new tariff called 'simple and connect', was marginally cheaper for me. Its not on the MSE energyclub yet but was on UKenergy.
    • alexei2k
    • By alexei2k 13th Jun 16, 9:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    alexei2k
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:00 AM
    • 13th Jun 16, 9:00 AM
    Having a very bad experience with Avro so far. Switched to them 3 months ago. Now, suddenly, it appears the final gas reading they sent to my previous supplier (and which they did VERY LATE after the switch date) has nothing to do with my actual reading I sent them on the day of the switch as requested. The former is much higher. So they are overcharging me by a substantial amount. No explanation given, I have already contacted them twice, on the phone and by email. Still waiting for a response. I really do not have time for sorting out this kind of administration problems, so I am transferring out of Avro ASAP. Do not want to deal with all these unprofessional unexperienced start-ups. And I am still waiting for my first bill from Avro - unbelievable! In the meantime, they are charging me by monthly DD - in advance! BEWARE!
    • vickssinex
    • By vickssinex 13th Jun 16, 7:37 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    vickssinex
    Having a very bad experience with Avro so far. Switched to them 3 months ago. Now, suddenly, it appears the final gas reading they sent to my previous supplier (and which they did VERY LATE after the switch date) has nothing to do with my actual reading I sent them on the day of the switch as requested. The former is much higher.
    Originally posted by alexei2k
    The same thing has happened to us. I submitted meter readings on the switch date in April, but when I logged on to submit readings in May the April gas reading shown was way above what I actually submitted. I queried this with Avro and they said they used an estimated opening reading. Crazy or what?

We thought that nobody could be worse than the Co-op, our previous supplier, but this is not exactly a promising start.
    • kevcoo
    • By kevcoo 18th Jun 16, 11:02 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kevcoo
    Avro is it it Agro
    Same thing has happened to me balance showing £50.00 less than what I have paid in,no statement in 3 months , rubbish company will be out of it by 23rd June , will cancel dd instantly as I don't trust them,they will owe me so can send money back a different way,terrible company,these sort should be closed down STAY CLEAR,
    Last edited by kevcoo; 18-06-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    • SimonHolland1
    • By SimonHolland1 13th Jul 16, 11:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SimonHolland1
    Tried to sign up but won't let me without a phone number (I don't use a phone).
    Emailed directly and confirmed they wouldn't give me an account.
    I asked them how they complied with the Equalities Act and they gave me another email to complain to.
    Sent several emails but they haven't replied.
    In 2016 why have an online system that won't let you sign up without a telephone number!
    Their loss....
    Now, where do I click to show 'poor' feedback?
    • kevcoo
    • By kevcoo 16th Jul 16, 9:24 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kevcoo
    Edit 1
    After leaving on the 23 June,received a bill dated up to 13 July estimated , not a final bill incorrect amount of days and wrong meter readings , sent 3 emails inside 30 mins of each other, received reply they had now got final meter reading that morning ( what a surprise )now got final bill , glad I have left them very poor company,they now owe me money say they will pay it back in 2-4 weeks will be ready for contact if they don't
    • kevcoo
    • By kevcoo 16th Jul 16, 9:26 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kevcoo
    Feedback
    Tried to sign up but won't let me without a phone number (I don't use a phone).
    Emailed directly and confirmed they wouldn't give me an account.
    I asked them how they complied with the Equalities Act and they gave me another email to complain to.
    Sent several emails but they haven't replied.
    In 2016 why have an online system that won't let you sign up without a telephone number!
    Their loss....
    Now, where do I click to show 'poor' feedback?
    Originally posted by SimonHolland1
    Be thankful for that,you had a lucky escape,stay well clear
    Feedback will show when they look at prices and click on feedback will bring them to this page, poor is being nice in my book
    Last edited by kevcoo; 16-07-2016 at 9:31 AM.
    • mikegsouthsea
    • By mikegsouthsea 30th Jul 16, 12:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikegsouthsea
    good initial experience
    My dual contract with avro started on 10 July. On 29 July I received an email from my old dual fuel supplier informing me that my gas contract with them had just ended and they had switched me to standard terms.
    I contacted avro at 10 am, who asked me to send a photo of each of my gas and elec meters. Quite clever I thought, enabled them to check that I had supplied them the correct info and that they hadn't screwed up at their end.
    By 1600 they had sorted out the mistake at my previous supplier who were at fault.

Couldn't be better.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 3rd Aug 16, 8:51 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    wazza99
    Initial, thoughts part way through switching.......i have a poor feeling about them, energy usage questioned by them as low ? had to send previous bills, no welcome pack, no communication since 14/7/16, had to chase for switch date, not on Santander 123 list...not sure i'll be staying tbh.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 8th Aug 16, 2:13 PM
    • 15,844 Posts
    • 32,110 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Just started the switch today. Still in the cooling off period.

However, this is another energy company that takes money up front. First DD is scheduled 21 days after you join. So worth bearing in mind when switching.

Welcome pack arrived by e-mail within 30 minutes.
    Not yet able to give readings. Thankfully meter readers have been round recently, so they should be pretty up to date with the soon to be former supplier anyway.
    Last edited by Mrs Arcanum; 08-08-2016 at 11:19 PM.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don’t you?” “Why?” “It saves time.” ― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 9th Aug 16, 5:29 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    wazza99
    Avro energy confirmed as eligible for 2% cashback on payments on Santander 123. i now have a letter from the bank confirming such.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 12th Aug 16, 4:24 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    Does anyone know if they are on the Natwest Cashback Scheme? From the first posts I was prepared to consider them, not sure now.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • xylabion
    • By xylabion 24th Aug 16, 1:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    xylabion
    Seamless savings
    I got sick and tired of E-ON springing nasty rip-off surprises on me and their rather indifferent customer service attitude so switched over to Avro back in April following searches on the Energy Club site with promised SIGNIFICANT savings. The switch went seamlessly, DDR payments began precisely when they said they would and with no hidden 'extras', no marketing BS offering stuff that I didn't need and no problem when contacting their customer services. Although their office is only open weekdays, telephone calls are answered within seconds, no piped musac and long waits, no call centre idiots to deal with after such waits and service operatives actually IN the main Avro office are friendly, informative and deal with any questions or other matters immediately.
    My estimated predicted usage on dual energy - and hence my monthly DDR's - were based on past usage with E-ON but after only 4 months I'm ALREADY £460 in credit and although the DDR doesn't come up for review for another 8 months, it'll clearly be adjusted significantly lower at that time than it is now. if I wait that long...though it's likely that I'd be able to do that right now if I wanted with a quick phone call. Try doing that with E-ON and they effectively tell you to f*** off!!
    VERY pleased with Avro so far...a small company with small overheads - at least for now - and I'd highly recommend the company to anyone.

Edit. After reading previous postings on this thread I'm surprised by all the negative comments and would suggest that when incorrect readings and estimates are reported, that's down to PREVIOUS energy suppliers. One has to supply final meter readings when leaving one company to switch to another. Those readings are then passed on to the new company by your old company, hence if you don't supply a final reading, you can't then expect the new company to get it right! And as for not using a phone in the 21st Century...yeah, sure, Im sure that we all believe you. If you use the internet then you can send text messages from any one of hundreds of net-based text editors, and hence you can create a 'phone' number. Therefore you can get an Avro account.
    Last edited by xylabion; 24-08-2016 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Additional feedback on previous postings
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin