Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 7th Sep 15, 3:46 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Robin Hood Energy
    • 7th Sep 15, 3:46 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Robin Hood Energy 7th Sep 15 at 3:46 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Robin Hood Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 3
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Nov 16, 11:53 PM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I'm in the process of switching to Robin Hood from Extra Energy where I was one of their first customers and saw first hand how not to operate billing and customer services departments but give them their due the have improved and I'm glad I stuck with them rather than bail out as many did in the early days.

I'm only leaving them because they are no longer offering a fixed rate tariff for those who wish to pay on presentation of the bill which Robin Hood do.

I've read a few of the warnings in this discussion but even so I'll give RH a go and if anyone's interested I'll report back with either good news or bad.
    Originally posted by rogcal
    I've been on RH since May and I get a bill every month. They email 7 days in advance asking for meter reading then they issue the bill after 7 days.

TIP: If you want a spot on accurate bill, don't submit your reading until the 7th day after they ask for your reading wise they'll still estimate it.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 17th Nov 16, 10:00 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    Thanks for that tip Lee, I'll be sure to remember it.

So what you are saying is even if you supply a reading on the anniversary date each month i.e. you start supply on the 5th of the month and therefore after supply a reading each 5th of the month they will still estimate the bill and by supplying the reading on 12th it will be based on your actual reading. Weird but if it works I'll do the same.

Tell me and I'm assuming you are on a variable DD, can you confirm that they only take the amount that represents your actual usage over a month. I don't want to end up with them holding on to any of my money in the form of credits to cover the higher usage you get over the winter months. I'm quite capable of budgeting my household finances and don't need any energy supplier looking after my money in their bank.
    Last edited by rogcal; 17-11-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 17th Nov 16, 5:16 PM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Thanks for that tip Lee, I'll be sure to remember it.

So what you are saying is even if you supply a reading on the anniversary date each month i.e. you start supply on the 5th of the month and therefore after supply a reading each 5th of the month they will still estimate the bill and by supplying the reading on 12th it will be based on your actual reading. Weird but if it works I'll do the same.

Tell me and I'm assuming you are on a variable DD, can you confirm that they only take the amount that represents your actual usage over a month. I don't want to end up with them holding on to any of my money in the form of credits to cover the higher usage you get over the winter months. I'm quite capable of budgeting my household finances and don't need any energy supplier looking after my money in their bank.
    Originally posted by rogcal
    That is correct, I found it weird too. My bill date is the 21st of each month and they send a meter reading request on the 14th. I give the reading on the 21st and the bill is emailed at midnight on the morning of the 22nd.

Not sure what they do with direct debits as I pay it manually with debit card.
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 17th Nov 16, 5:31 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    Thanks Lee, I'll see if I can change to manual payment as that's the way I've always paid but if variable DD means they only take what they bill I'll be happy.
    • southheathen
    • By southheathen 18th Nov 16, 1:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southheathen
    Tried repeatedly to call this company to enquire about day/night rates and standing charges. First time I was immediately cut off, thereafter I rang and waited several times until finally I gave up.
    • Brian88839
    • By Brian88839 18th Nov 16, 10:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Brian88839
    I got through to them ok after 6. About 8 minutes waiting. Not too bad. Helpful person once I got through (for basic enquiry about switching to them)
    • locky123
    • By locky123 27th Nov 16, 8:51 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    locky123
    Will this outfit go same way as GB Energy, as may switch to them when all this mess has settled?
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 28th Nov 16, 8:09 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    So far in my switch to RH I've only experienced good things and even the chap I spoke to last recommended that I don't give them a meter reading until seven days after they send the email requesting one if I want to avoid an receiving an estimated reading.

It's refreshing that an employee knows their is an anomaly within their system and is prepared to admit it and advise a customer of how to find a way around it.

My actual switch date is the 7th Dec and I shall keep people informed about progress and any issues that crop up, if any.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 17th Dec 16, 11:59 AM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Been with Robin Hood for electricity since May, last night was the first time they sent a meter reader round to read the meter.

It was all very weird, bloke knocked on the door and when I answered he asked if it was the correct address and then asked if I was Mr LeeUK (I thought he was a TVL salesman at first). I asked what it was about before confirming my name and he said he was from Robin Hood Energy to read the electric and gas meters. Meter readers usually just knock and say meter reader without all the guff.

I don't get gas from Robin Hood and explained it to him so he only read the electric meter.

He wrote down the reading on his bit of paper and asked who my gas supplier was and wrote that down too. First time I've ever had a meter reader who has used pen and paper instead of a handheld terminal.
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 17th Dec 16, 1:01 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    I shall look forward to a meter reader calling at my place if they can find it and get past the security gates.

Haven't had a meter reader near my place for 10 years and even he spent two hours looking for me!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 22nd Dec 16, 5:27 PM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Received a response and it turns out they ask their meter reader contractors to read both meters "to avoid confusion" even when the customer only has electric or gas.

Not sure who's confused.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 7th Jan 17, 7:54 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    Oh dear the previous excellent service is going pear shaped.

Last month it proved impossible to enter meter readings on the website and telephone entered readings were ignored, hence a bill for twice the norm.
    To be fair they sorted it soon enough before they took the money.

This month they've got worse, same story, just had the bill for about 9 times the usual amount.
    Their estimate appears to think we use 208kwh at night every night.
    Wouldn't mind but i emailed them with the readings and an explanation, that was either lost in the ether or ignored, hopefully the former, so i've emailed them again just now via my own email, the first time used their website contact email and the website appears increasingly unfit for purpose, wonder if they got it from the same place as gov depts throw taxpayers money at for systems that don't work.

If only Zog provided electricity, sigh.

If this continues does anyone have the email or phone number of some big cheese at Robin Hood Energy, they started off so well so this is rather disappointing.
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 7th Jan 17, 8:12 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    Today I entered my first meter reading since switching on the 7th Dec and the system accepted it OK.

Rang CS a minute later just to confirm it was showing on their system and it was.

The guy I spoke to also thanked me for entering the reading on the anniversary date of my switch rather than the timescale given in an email sent to me a week ago. He was well aware of the snafu in their system that causes estimated bills to be sent out if you enter a reading in response to the email and I told him I'd got this forum to thank for the advice to give the reading on the anniversary date.

Let's see if the bill is correct and the right amount is taken by DD in a few days time. Fingers crossed.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 24th Jan 17, 9:26 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    kev2009
    Hi all,

Any update on this supplier, did they fix the issue gilbert and sullivan? did your DD come out as expected rogcal?

I had these in my mind to switch to for electricity but since reading here, i'm holding fire to see how i goes before taking the plunge.

Kev
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 24th Jan 17, 10:29 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    So far so good.

Bill was correct and matched my own calculation exactly.

DD debit is due to be taken tomorrow which I expect to also be correct.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 25th Jan 17, 8:54 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    kev2009
    Thanks, might still consider them

Kev
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 25th Jan 17, 9:02 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    rogcal
    DD taken for the correct amount.

Only good experiences so far.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 26th Jan 17, 12:33 AM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I entered my reading for the Dec-Jan bill 24 hours early and when my bill was issued it had my reading on and not an estimate.

Maybe they have now fixed the billing bug where if you didn't submit the reading exactly on the billing date it would estimate it regardless.
    • MissST
    • By MissST 15th Feb 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MissST
    Eugh

The move went smoothly BUT I have had nothing but problems since.

I had a debt on my meter which had been cleared as I received a rebate when I switched from my old provider. For 20 weeks I have still been paying £6 a week extra.

I phoned numerous times to sort this out, they sent a key which would reset my meter.

A few weeks later I realised I was still using £6 electric a day.

Checked the meter and the debt was still there.

They said they'd need to change my meter and they'd send someone out.

I rang back a week later and they said the same. So they sent me an emergency engineer out that day.

The meter has been changed but I now have no heating. (Electric storage heaters)

My tariff isn't set up for E7 and I can't get it changed because I'm at work - they need a serial number before they can even send an engineer/fix the issue.

I have a young child and a crappy house which is stone cold.

I am owed for the countless weeks I have been over paying and not once have they seemed like they are trying to sort anything. They come across as lazy, disorganised and never reply to emails.

Considering switching again - the only saving grace is that there are no exit fees.

PS. Their website is crap.
    Last edited by MissST; 15-02-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    • Peak
    • By Peak 15th Feb 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Peak
    Footy guy, do you work for U switch or are you ideologically against not for profit companies?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

165Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter