Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • maryb
    • By maryb 5th Mar 15, 4:06 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 36,971 Thanks
    maryb
    i have a bus pass (thank you, Boris!!!) and hair is definitely grey but not sure I fit otherwise
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Mar 15, 4:17 PM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 44,605 Thanks
    silvasava
    Right you lot - time to hoist up your bosoms (Les Dawson style) & get stuck in to this lovely new thread. I also have this little mental picture of a cartoon used for a cleaning ad many years ago of Mrs Mops in pinnies & turbans on their hands & knees in a row with their bottoms swaying to and fro in time to the music - is that us.................????
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Possession
    • By Possession 5th Mar 15, 4:20 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 41,491 Thanks
    Possession
    Frankly Silva my bosom could do with some hoisting...
    I've just paid the electrician and got the money out to pay the roofer at the weekend so am feeling considerably poorer.

• Doveling
    • By Doveling 5th Mar 15, 4:26 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 6,870 Thanks
    Doveling
    My problem is that everything continues to sway for four or five minutes after the music has stopped and if I get down on the floor somebody has to help me up again!
    How do you all empty your freezers out to defrost them. If I take something out I seem to put four meals back in of what I've just made from it.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Mar 15, 4:29 PM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 210,958 Thanks
    greenbee
    My problem is that everything continues to sway for four or five minutes after the music has stopped and if I get down on the floor somebody has to help me up again!
    How do you all empty your freezers out to defrost them. If I take something out I seem to put four meals back in of what I've just made from it.
    Originally posted by Doveling
    I stop buying food until it is empty.

I have three freezers. One is finally empty. I need to rejig the other two, and may get to the bottom of the chest freezer by the end of March.

Only spending is the occasional pint of milk when I really can't manage without coffee/have visitors, and some fresh veg which I am NOT allowed to make into soup to freeze until all the soup is gone. I have plenty of frozen fruit, so no need to buy any.

I'm now at the stage where there is less in the way of 'ingredients' than meals, so there is less chance of stuff going back in.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 5th Mar 15, 4:38 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 6,870 Thanks
    Doveling
    Gran3 - if you still have the lids, could you cut them as you would a grow bag?
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 5th Mar 15, 4:44 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 4,252 Thanks
    cat4772
    sometimes I'll use a large duvet to wrap around the food (insulating it to keep it cool) whilst I fast defrost the freezer; using a mix of hair dryer - (never in the freezer, just pointing the heat from a 10cm distance towards the freezer so there's no danger of electrocuting myself) and trays of hot water to create steam to help speed up the defrosting. depending on the state of the freezer it can take about 30-45 minutes to be defrosted. I'll wipe everything dry inside the freezer; i find this stops it frosting up as quickly if all the surfaces are dry to start with.

Hope that helps.

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Mar 15, 4:45 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 44,447 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Originally posted by Doveling
    Same here Welcome Doveling, Cat, Hester and I'm sure there was at least one other person

Thanks for the new thread nuatha How's OH doing?

Stilty What great news about DD's new chariot!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Mar 15, 5:11 PM
    • 8,956 Posts
    • 52,741 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    I wish you had not used the word chariot....I now have an image of Miss Stilty doing a Ben Hur with Mum's best kitchen knives strapped to the wheels - heaven help her little bruvver!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

March NSDs. 13 of 15
    • stiltwalker
    • By stiltwalker 5th Mar 15, 5:29 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 14,654 Thanks
    stiltwalker
    Nargleblast - we live in a very touristy town and regularly think we should kit both the kids' wheels out with Boudica spikes and a bull bar, just so we can make our way down the high street on a market day! Now there's an image for you
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Mar 15, 5:55 PM
    • 14,486 Posts
    • 114,477 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Evening chums, and Hi to all the lurkers I too am of the age when I can remember women in turban headscarves (ala (ilda Ogden ) but I have never worn a curler in my life (although I have used rollers many moons ago

Oh the days of the Carmen rollers ) I also had one of those hairdriers with a hood attached which meant I could multi-task and cook and while feeding my tribe, and also be doing something vital like answer the phone which seemed to ring non-stop between 6-7 at night for some reason.Then I'd have to turn my hairdryer off and the big ballon-like hood would gently deflate
    Nowadays I just wash 'n'go my hair, a quick flick with the comb and then I am doing something else.

Nice to see a shiny new thread.We all seem to lurch from one broke/hard up week to another at times don't we,but we all survive somehow.

Perhaps more women in Government would sort some of the debt crisis out as we all know how to tighen our belts until they are almost pinging
    Onwards and upwards chums
    JackieO xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 05-03-2015 at 6:04 PM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    Love Food, Hate Waste, for Lent.
    Spent so far this month £3.78 second spend today bringing my total for the month to £25.13
    • stiltwalker
    • By stiltwalker 5th Mar 15, 6:09 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 14,654 Thanks
    stiltwalker
    And her little brother is waiting for delivery of his own wheels - they'll be having chariot races!! So if you're going to feel sorry for anyone Nargle - please let it be me!! (lol, not really I'm quite looking forward to it).

Respite evening tonight so we're off to the curry house in a bit for some couple/keep me sane time. We often do curry as it's a cheap night as it is a bring your own place so got a half price pinot grigio from Mr T to take with us - it's been a long week so well and truly ready for it.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 5th Mar 15, 6:15 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 9,117 Thanks
    shanks77
    Better get some wood, hammer and nails, nuatha, looks like the Garden Fence might need extending!
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    It's more likely to need re-enforcing if I lean over it lol
    Welcome to all our newbies look forward to "speaking" to you all and picking up your hints and tips.
    Thanks for a new thread have spent soooo long starting from the very first thread, coming to the end only to find another thread with hundreds of posts for me to read and so on and so on. So a chance to be near the beginning makes me lol
    Nothing OS to add so will catch u all later xx
    Ooh I lied managed to save money on my house and car insurance all for a short time on the phone £50 saved altogether xx
    Last edited by shanks77; 05-03-2015 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Added text
    • mowdrops
    • By mowdrops 5th Mar 15, 6:43 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    mowdrops
    I would love to join you all on this new thread. Like Hester the fence will need to be low as I am only 4foot 9 but a stocky little creature.
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 5th Mar 15, 6:52 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 2,503 Thanks
    chickens11
    Slow up you lot, I go absent for 2 days and all hell as let loose, arguements etc , and the old thread is well and truely wrapped it self up, and here I find myself on a new thread , I hope im welcome .........Sheila...
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Mar 15, 7:28 PM
    • 8,956 Posts
    • 52,741 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Join the over-the-garden-fence gang, sheila, I know what you mean, a week is a long time in politics they say.....And a day can be a long time on these threads. nuatha has the hammer and nails to customise the fence to fit each one of us, he is the bloke among us after all, so it's his job! Oops, did I say something non-PC there?
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash

March NSDs. 13 of 15
    • gran3
    • By gran3 5th Mar 15, 7:44 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    gran3
    Jackie O we must have been separated at birth. My mother got my Carmen rollers with the vouchers from her fags. I also had one of the inflatable hairdryers. I go to a local 'museum' and all the stuff I used to have and use is in there.
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 5th Mar 15, 7:56 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 14,890 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    Thanks for the shiny new thread I've posted a couple of times on the other but not quite got going. I now have visions of a large army of "apronned" ladies (and a few gents) marching en masse down the road clutching a variety of kitchen/garden tools who are definitely a force to be reckoned with!! And with a huge amount of knowledge and experience amongst them. hopefully lots of people will post & share as that's what makes the thread work.
    A week of "befores" going on for me, as well as one after. Joined a weight loss/exercise group at my local gym, part of which is a before pic as well as measurements (somewhat scary & a bit depressing but have bucked up since). Looking forward to developing a healthier way of eating & being fitter and healthier. Must read the OS weight loss thread.
    Also had a good haircut, from halfway down my back to a base of the neck bob! (Which I am very pleased with).
    And finally ordered my new kitchen & just booked the start date today, 7th April - can't wait for the new one!! Need to buy some appliances, sink, tiles & cabinet lighting. Will be done just before I leave one job/start another!!
    So a quiet few weeks coming up...
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• Bathory
    • By Bathory 5th Mar 15, 7:57 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    Bathory
    Hello all. I'm a middle aged heavy metal woman (promise to keep the music down) who would like to join if its ok?

Les Dawson - blimey he was funny. The Candle in Cumbria sketch where he pulls different faces always gets me laughing.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 5th Mar 15, 8:01 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 44,739 Thanks
    Jazee
    Evening all. Jazee here. For those who don't know me, I'm in North Yorkshire, have two dogs and became officially FAT this week as my waist has disappeared - just like that.

And what won't help is that DH and I treated ourselves to a rare takeaway tonight.

Lovely to see so many people posting. I will try to post more regularly too.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Mar £878.67 Total £3623.08/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £101.25/£365
    Money spent on garden £58.68

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter