Disability and Dosh sticky thread links

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• dangermouse1974
    dangermouse1974 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 9:07AM
    ok so long story short my mum is on E.S.A she had a mortgage on her house . paid interest only . she was forced to sell house as morgage time up. she made various improvements to house i.e new kitchen bathroom which personally cost over 10k whilst she has the house . she has been told she will receive around 16k after all fees taxes have been paid for sale of house . she isnt a pensioner yet she is 64 years old . she is homeless at the moment although she is staying with family . she has been notified by esa that she will lose her entitlement to benefit??? and been told by esa she cannot gift money to her kids / grandkids as this is disposing money for benefit purposes or something like it .so she has no other savings or money in isa etc and no provision for funeral expenses . so in a nutshell she has paid a mortgage for 15 years and improved the house and the only people that will benefit from it is the mortgage company estate agent and the government is this right. please can you clarify any steps she can take to retain her benefit that she is entitled to as she is disabled .whilst retaining at least some of the money for retirement thanks in advance for your help
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    She is only entitled to benefit for as long as she meets the criteria.

Is she on income based ESA? If so her entitlement to payments will cease whilst she has £16K, but once her capital reduces below that level she will receive a reduced payment. Once she has below £6K she will receive full payment again.

She cannot gift money in order to reduce her capital. She can buy a funeral plan, that would be deemed reasonable in the circumstances.

She should have taken advice before selling the property. There are lenders that would have allowed her to continue on an interest only basis into retirement.

If she is on contributions based benefit her entitlement will continue.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    If she has no other savings it won't be long before her savings drop below £16k and she's eligible for benefits again. However, if she lives in a full Universal Credit area she'll have to claim that instead of ESA, and it's usually less money.

Some spending would be allowed and not considered deprivation of capital. It depends on circumstances though.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • IAmWales wrote: »
    She is only entitled to benefit for as long as she meets the criteria.

Is she on income based ESA? If so her entitlement to payments will cease whilst she has £16K, but once her capital reduces below that level she will receive a reduced payment. Once she has below £6K she will receive full payment again.

She cannot gift money in order to reduce her capital. She can buy a funeral plan, that would be deemed reasonable in the circumstances.

She should have taken advice before selling the property. There are lenders that would have allowed her to continue on an interest only basis into retirement.

If she is on contributions based benefit her entitlement will continue.
    quick question can she not pay money into some sort of plan for her and her partners retirement or is this considered as disposing of asetts? thanks
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    quick question can she not pay money into some sort of plan for her and her partners retirement or is this considered as disposing of asetts? thanks

There aren't any hard and fast rules, it comes down to what a decision maker thinks on the day.

My view is that at 64, suddenly starting to make pension arrangements would be seen as deprivation.

You didn't mention before that she had a partner. Does he/she work or have income? Do they live together as a couple?

You'd be better off posting on the benefits board, giving full details of her circumstances. There could be other options depending on their ages (I'm thinking of Pension Credit, but I'm not sure about all the rules).

This thread is a particularly bad place to post because of it being a sticky, people don't really read replies on them.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • I think it's bang out of order! But yes as sad as it is if you have certain amount of savings not sure how much they won't give you anything not like you haven't worked most of your life and they should thank you for that and your taxes they are out of order!
  • Unfortunately rules are rules. You can't gift anyone anything unless you out live them by 10 years. Have you thought of a poor person's funeral? There are benefits to help. My grandads we just stood at the graveside. Then went to the pub for a drink.
  • i have been with martins C.E.Club for several years,and i'm very happy with it.i switched providers in september,i set up a d/d,now today,i received an email stating they have raised my d/d to all most double.which will effect my pension/disability money,i phoned them,and after haggling with them,they agreed to lower my payments.now if i was not a strong person,i would have just left it at that.my reason for this they put my wife and i through all kinds of worry.thanks for the time.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    @rstocker48 ask your questions on the energy forum a bit further up the front page.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure