Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 11,540Posts
    • 33,652Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 3
  • Florenceem
    Saturday.
    Out of freezer - 3 Muffins + BPITH + Smoked Salmon Quiche.
    In - nothing.
    We had HM BPITH + roast potatoes + carrots, leek, swede, garlic + gravy for dinner. Lovely to have some HM food in the freezer to use while I catch up with washing, ironing and housework after being away for a week.

[IMG][/IMG]
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 26th Oct 13, 11:44 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 11,560 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Edwardia, are you punishing your oh by having a veggie weekend? Lol I agree with him, I hate planning meals more than 2 days in advance.

I have taken out the pork chops out for tomorrow, I'm going to use up shredded crab cucumbers for lunch.

I went and did my grandmas shopping today, she insisted on giving me £5 for bus fare lol bless her, so I bought 2 new nail varnishes, I also done all of my audits today, I refuse to go further than the bins between now and Monday if there really is going to be a storm.

It's already quite windy and raining as I type. Does everyone think it will be a bad storm?
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 27th Oct 13, 12:43 AM
    • 6,089 Posts
    • 20,407 Thanks
    Kirri
    I refuse to go further than the bins between now and Monday if there really is going to be a storm.
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder
    Lol you and me both! I was even planning to go to the bins in the morning before it gets too bad. Best hope your Grandma doesn't decide she wants any more shopping!

I am supposed to be finishing the painting and I've run out of paint this evening - will just have to wait till Tuesday as I'm not going out in it till then. Am thinking of moving the huge pet run further away from the living room window if poss tomorrow just in case, got a big tree in the road outside the flats. Hoping it's not as bad as '87.
    • Gonzo1987
    • By Gonzo1987 27th Oct 13, 6:28 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Gonzo1987
    The freezer is so empty! Looking forward to stocking it up!

Out - peppered quorn steaks for dinner, sausages and also hot dog rolls for lunch. May lift out the last 2 scotch pies for the dog to munch on too.

In - nothing hopefully!
  • Edwardia
    Hi MsNight Ryder hope you're well.. did I see you mention a maggot

Well no I don't regard veggie as a punishment - I was vegetarian when he met me It's just that I don't regard meat at virtually every meal as particularly healthy, we don't need that huge amount of protein unless body-building.

No freezer movements planned for today. Got OH taking fence down today as rickety and he can repair and then put back next weekend - better than risking it being flattened !

If the storm really causes damage OH will be hugely busy Monday - if he can get to work, that is.
    • Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    • By Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa 27th Oct 13, 11:41 AM
    • 399 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    Shoulder of lamb out which will will do tea for a few days (roast tonight then curry and rice then marinade the last of it with noodles. 3 out of 5 draws are empty.
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: March 2036 - £83,501.33
    MFW 2016 #6 £7,350/£7000
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 27th Oct 13, 12:42 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Edwardia:- your Pot au feu sounds interesting, may try that.
    What does PITA mean - spent a good few minutes trying to work it out to no avail?

Freezer movements:-
    Out 2 pks of veg for soup. I bought several boxes of veg from the wholesaler some months ago, prepared and bagged them up into 'casserole/soup' bags. It was a whole lot cheaper than buying from the supermarket and all I do is get a pack out from the freezer -defrost and use it in a casserole, or if it's for soup, I just cut the pieces into smaller bits - saves on time as well.
    The last leg of venison from 2012/13
    In:- some turkey soup when it's cooled down

Just looking out of the window at the trees bending over in the wood at the bottom of the garden - scarey, really scarey
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 123.17/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £10.55

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £14.55
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 27th Oct 13, 12:58 PM
    • 6,089 Posts
    • 20,407 Thanks
    Kirri
    ^ pain in the @ r s e ?

Had toast/marmite for lunch. Need to use the last bit of tofu tonight so looks like stir fry again.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 27th Oct 13, 3:37 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 7,839 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Hi everyone not posted on this challenge since earlier in the year but due to possibly losing my job decided I better watch the pennies so did a list beginning of last week. Somehow have managed to spend over £50 2 months in a row despite loads of coupons (saying that over 50% of my shopping was paid with coupons etc so totals wd have been higher)
    Target this week- no spends as stocked up on soya milk and loaf of bread in fridge
    Nov- I hope to go a couple more weeks without buying at all then do a farm foods shop nearer middle of month
    Re diabetic food- I tend to go more low GL rather than gi, I think that works well for me plus soya milk lite(in tea) or green for cereal as its lower in fat/suger than red
    30k for mortgage challenge 4/30
    £41.23 in 2015. 69.53 saved
  • Edwardia
    zafiro Kirri's 99% correct the last word is a s s as in donkey x horse - @ r s e is the Brit version lol. I've lost the accent but I do still use a lot of Canadian expressions and spellings.

ma-ri-ella I think everyone with diabetes has to do what works for them and we get given such conflicting advice that it's quite difficult and scary at first. I can't eat bread at all personally whereas low carb means normal blood glucose for me most of the time.

Well done on the couponing !

I was over here when we had the hurricane and a tree fell on my father's car and flattened it !
    Last edited by Edwardia; 27-10-2013 at 4:13 PM.
  • Florenceem
    Sunday.
    In to freezer - nothing.
    Out of freezer - HM Quiche + muffin.
    We had HM steak pie + roast potatoes/parsnip + carrots, leek, swede + gravy for dinner.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Edwardia
    How's everyone doing post-storm ? Hope you're not having too many probs. It's half term here so not as bad as it could have been.

There are a few wheelie bins sans lids in my road and both neighbours have damaged gardens but OH's prep worked

My mother had a power cut; we didn't but OH only managed to get 1/3rd of the way to work by train. Evidently Network Rail has removed over 100 trees from lines already and there's a skeleton service to London but not on his line. So he'll be able to claim compensation on the Delay Repay scheme He's working from home for the rest of the day.

Abel & Cole delivered so I've got milk and eggs now

IN freezer
    Burgen loaf
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 28th Oct 13, 1:49 PM
    • 6,089 Posts
    • 20,407 Thanks
    Kirri
    ^ Impressive A&C got through! I saw Riverford (and my local box scheme farm) both had their polytunnels ripped apart.

Quite a few trees down in this borough - I am just debating going as far as the postbox though torrential rain at the moment. Am delaying going into town till tomorrow, not worth the risk. My parents' road is totally blocked by a tree. My poor gpig was so traumatised that I moved the cage to a different part of the room (away from the window) he couldn't even eat anything!! He is very sensitive to change..

I have plenty of food in, dinner tonight either using up veg and tofu or maybe corn on the cob and tofu sausages, will decide later what I fancy.
  • want2Bfrugal
    OUT - rabbit stew, mash potato and Ox cheek stew

In - nothing -
    'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
    • Gonzo1987
    • By Gonzo1987 29th Oct 13, 10:28 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Gonzo1987
    We fared pretty well in the storm, I think we just got the tail end of it.

Nothing in or out today as out with work. Really down to the bare bones of the freezer, hardly anything left in there. so really need to stock up for winter now!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 29th Oct 13, 4:02 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    OUT - rabbit stew,
    In - nothing -
    Originally posted by want2Bfrugal
    Rabbit stew - I love that, unfortunately rabbits are pretty thin on the ground here as we have the ferret men in and they clear the lot. I keep hinting that I would love one or two...... but I think they go hard of hearing!!!!!!

Freezer nothing in or out, all out of the fridge tonight.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 123.17/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £10.55

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £14.55
    • sharond101
    • By sharond101 29th Oct 13, 9:15 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 2,146 Thanks
    sharond101
    Yesterday out: cooked chicken legs, 3 packs of YS braising steak
    In: nothing

Today out: portion of HM vegetable lasagne for tonight dinner, portion of HM soup for Oh's lunch, 1 portion HM puff pastry
    In: 4 portions of steak pie from braising steak
  • Florenceem
    Tuesday.
    In to freezer - 5 whoops salmon.
    Out of freezer - 1 muffin + 2 pasties + cheddar cheese + sausage rolls.
    Last night we had - HM carrot & onion quiche + HM wedges + cauliflower + carrots for dinner.

Been really busy today - quick dinner - pastie + HM wedges + carrots, leek & swede.
    15 in 2015 1/15
    • Gonzo1987
    • By Gonzo1987 30th Oct 13, 9:49 AM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Gonzo1987
    OH ate the last sausages and chips out the freezer last night.

Fish cakes out today, with HM wedges and pretty much the freezer is empty!

Just placed an order online, and hopefully there will be no need to buy much before the middle of the month (I hope)
  • want2Bfrugal
    Out - yet another pack of pasta Keen to make the effort - the pasta mountain is disappearing at a descent rate now. This also means that I have managed to keep within budget this month. Double fantastic

In - nothing as yet
    'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter