Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 11,947Posts
    • 34,468Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1
  • want2Bfrugal
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:03 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:03 PM
    I have had a good week.

I have managed to use a lot of ingredients from my cupboards and freezer and things are looking really good. My pasta mountain has come down from 20 packages to 4 packages, I am beginning to see a large dent in my freezer and my food bill has reduced dramatically.

IN today - 5 portions of HM pasta tuna bake for hubby's lunch

OUT today - mince for pasta and meatballs in tomato sauce

NSD -
    'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
    • Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    • By Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa 21st Oct 13, 2:11 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:11 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:11 PM
    I need to clear space in my freezer as I buy home grown meat off my mum (pork, bacon, gamon, beef and lamb) and as she lives 4 hours away she has been storing it in her freezer but i have been told in no uncertain term that I need to take at least half back when I next visit next month. So thanks for starting this as the motivation will help me achieve my goal and save money.
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: March 2036 - £83,501.33
    MFW 2016 #6 £7,350/£7000
    • Gonzo1987
    • By Gonzo1987 21st Oct 13, 2:15 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Gonzo1987
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:15 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 2:15 PM
    Successful weekend, lots out the freezer and nothing in! Nearly got 1 drawer clear, can't physically open the bottom drawer.... not sure what to do there.

Out today - 2 x scotch pies which the dog had for breakfast.

Need to meal plan for this week, so will create more space too.
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 21st Oct 13, 6:30 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 11,574 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    • 21st Oct 13, 6:30 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 6:30 PM
    Where has kirri gotten too?
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
    • Soworried
    • By Soworried 21st Oct 13, 7:23 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 19,668 Thanks
    Soworried
    • 21st Oct 13, 7:23 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 7:23 PM
    Nothing in again today and I have just pulled out some lamb mince for tomorrow.
    GC Feb £240/£180.84
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 21st Oct 13, 7:54 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 20,431 Thanks
    Kirri
    • 21st Oct 13, 7:54 PM
    • 21st Oct 13, 7:54 PM
    Where has kirri gotten too?
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder
    I'm here! Supposed to be painting...

I was thinking I don't really need to be here much longer though as I've not got a lot of old stuff left in the cupboards now..

Did you complain about your maggot??

MsT - wow that must have taken ages to read all that, impressed!!
    • Gonzo1987
    • By Gonzo1987 22nd Oct 13, 10:08 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Gonzo1987
    • 22nd Oct 13, 10:08 AM
    • 22nd Oct 13, 10:08 AM
    I put some mince in the freezer, that I won't get to use before it's use by date.

Will be taking something out for dinner, but what this is, I just don't know yet!
    • Soworried
    • By Soworried 22nd Oct 13, 8:06 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 19,668 Thanks
    Soworried
    • 22nd Oct 13, 8:06 PM
    • 22nd Oct 13, 8:06 PM
    Nothing in again today, this is going well

cheese buns came out to go with chilli for dinner. I even had a nsd
    GC Feb £240/£180.84
    • Gonzo1987
    • By Gonzo1987 22nd Oct 13, 8:10 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Gonzo1987
    Quorn fillets out and chilli in. Won't be much more movement this week I don't think
  • Ms Topaz
    Kirri, I think it took about 3 weeks. I tend to read while led in bed and cant sleep lol.

Out of the freezer sausages for toad in the hole, low fat sausages and yorkshire pudding as theyre lower fat too.

had to nip out to mr T and buy donuts as we are painting too, needed sugar rush
    • sharond101
    • By sharond101 22nd Oct 13, 9:50 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 2,155 Thanks
    sharond101
    Kirri, I think it took about 3 weeks. I tend to read while led in bed and cant sleep lol.

Out of the freezer sausages for toad in the hole, low fat sausages and yorkshire pudding as theyre lower fat too.

Originally posted by Ms Topaz

Low fat sausages and yorkies but need donuts for sugar rush??? Does that make sense??
  • Edwardia
    Bought 2 packs of Sainsbury's Taste The Difference diced wild venison for £7 last week and OH fished one out of the freezer already so we had venison curry for dinner tonight Very tasty and only one gristly bit in the whole pack.

ASDA used to do great venison burgers but my local store doesn't stock them now

A guy turned up to deliver a fridge at my front door today. He looked rather embarrassed when he realised he had entirely the wrong road

Hope you're all well and stashing Christmas stuff in the freezer !
  • Ms Topaz
    Low fat sausages and yorkies but need donuts for sugar rush??? Does that make sense??
    Originally posted by sharond101
    lol well they were for me, the low fat for my dd and my oh is diabetic so he couldnt eat the donuts either, which all boils down to more for me
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 22nd Oct 13, 11:03 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 11,574 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Hey Edwardia.

Kirri yes I did, they said that they were sending a sae to me so I could send the product back, not sure how that will go, it is partially cooked, Now in a sealed bag, it will soon rot lol. Not had the envelope yet.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 23rd Oct 13, 11:09 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 8,347 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    It seems really strange to have been moved across to a new thread, must remember to save the search as I pull out or I may disappear, never to be seen again.

Hope you're all well and stashing Christmas stuff in the freezer !
    Originally posted by Edwardia
    Edwardia:- not yet, I think someone posted that Mt T are doing 3 for 2 on dried fruit, anyone know if it's still going as I may do a trip there and stock up?

Edwardia:- funny you should mention Christmas, I've just taken out the last Turkey from 2012. It will take a couple of days to defrost and then I'll cook various casseroles, soups, pies to use it up and refreeze. I'm going to take part in a trial on bilateral hip replacements and weight loss so I need to be careful and turkey doesn't have that many calories, also it's a nice change from chicken or fish.
    Just Grocery Jan 131.11/155, Feb 325.77/140 Mar 151.92/155 Apr 0/150

veg growing 29.99/365, veg savings using supermarket prices £43.05

All food,wine,toiletries/cleaning/veg plot-yearly budget £3650 (£10 a day)
    5/3/17 Daily average so far this year £13.89
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 23rd Oct 13, 11:19 AM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 20,431 Thanks
    Kirri
    Hey Edwardia.

Kirri yes I did, they said that they were sending a sae to me so I could send the product back, not sure how that will go, it is partially cooked, Now in a sealed bag, it will soon rot lol. Not had the envelope yet.
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder
    The post offices have a new thing on checking what's in every package, some are giving a sheet to look through to make sure it's not on their banned list and some are asking what's in everything - like to see their face when you say a rotting part cooked dinner with maggot!

Originally posted by Ms Topaz
    3 weeks!! Sure the ramblings were enough to send you to sleep!

I am with you on the sugar rush, this painting is the most boring thing ever.

Not done any shopping, not used anything from the freezer, just been on tofu stir fries to use up the last of the summer allotment veg. Will have to start buying some in again soon

Zafiro - it's weird, it doesn't feel quite right to be on Part 2...
    • Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    • By Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa 23rd Oct 13, 12:17 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Mrs_Rachel_Trelfa
    Rib of beef out if freezer for roast tonight. Currently have about 3/4 of my freezer empty. Bit concerned that I am now freezing air..this can't be very MSE?
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: March 2036 - £83,501.33
    MFW 2016 #6 £7,350/£7000
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 23rd Oct 13, 6:24 PM
    • 6,093 Posts
    • 20,431 Thanks
    Kirri
    A not very nice hm veg curry out the freezer tonight I ruined this batch but am still having to eat it.. only another 3 portions left thankfully.

Just making some dough in the breadmaker - will make 2 loaves and 1 will go in the freezer.
    • Soworried
    • By Soworried 23rd Oct 13, 7:52 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 19,668 Thanks
    Soworried
    Nothing in today and a bun and some rice out.

I haven't started for christmas yet, I will after I clear some space.
    GC Feb £240/£180.84
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,626Posts Today

7,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin