Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 26th May 13, 11:00 AM
    • 1,894Posts
    • 5,662Thanks
    whitesatin
    Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan
    • 26th May 13, 11:00 AM
    Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan 26th May 13 at 11:00 AM
    We were given some gift vouchers and thinking of buying this:

http://www.johnlewis.com/dyson-am05-hot-cool-fan-heater/p405220

We would use it both as a fan in summer and to give a quick boost in our cold rooms in winter. Also, occasionally we might use it as a heater in our garden room if we want to sit out there on colder days.

Any idea if the running costs on this item would be very high?
Page 1
    • victor2
    • By victor2 26th May 13, 11:11 AM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    victor2
    • 26th May 13, 11:11 AM
    • 26th May 13, 11:11 AM
    It is rated at 2KW, so that suggests the maximum electricity it would consume when running as a heater is 2KW per hour. So 2 times whatever you pay per kWh of electricity should be its maximum hourly running cost. In reality, I would expect the heater's thermostat to reduce that as the room warms up. Obviously when it's just running as a fan, the power consumption will be much less, almost negligible in the scale of everything else a house uses.
  • greyteam1959
    • 26th May 13, 11:19 AM
    • 26th May 13, 11:19 AM
    The most overpriced 2kw heater on the market !!!
    You can buy a 2kw heater from Argos for £10 !!!!!!!
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 26th May 13, 11:36 AM
    • 9,278 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    rogerblack
    • 26th May 13, 11:36 AM
    • 26th May 13, 11:36 AM
    Barking mad.
    That's about half the price of a quality heatpump.
    Ok, the heatpump is harder to install, but will provide heat at a quarter of the cost.
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 26th May 13, 1:49 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    • 26th May 13, 1:49 PM
    • 26th May 13, 1:49 PM
    It's testament to the amazing skills of Dyson's marketing dept that this crazily overpriced fan heater actually sells at all. The purchase price of this less cost of a £10 fan heater could pay the leccy bill of the average house for over 9 months. Madness.
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 26th May 13, 1:55 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    whitesatin
    • 26th May 13, 1:55 PM
    • 26th May 13, 1:55 PM
    That's me told thanks
    • macman
    • By macman 26th May 13, 8:26 PM
    • 40,391 Posts
    • 16,388 Thanks
    macman
    • 26th May 13, 8:26 PM
    • 26th May 13, 8:26 PM
    Come on guys.
    It's not just hot air, it's Dyson hot air...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 26th May 13, 10:34 PM
    • 26,421 Posts
    • 12,717 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 26th May 13, 10:34 PM
    • 26th May 13, 10:34 PM
    Come on guys.
    It's not just hot air, it's Dyson hot air...
    Originally posted by macman
    And Dyson cool air!
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 27th May 13, 9:20 AM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    whitesatin
    • 27th May 13, 9:20 AM
    • 27th May 13, 9:20 AM
    Right. You've convinced me. Off to John Lewis this morning.
  • ValHaller
    It is rated at 2KW, so that suggests the maximum electricity it would consume when running as a heater is 2KW per hour. So 2 times whatever you pay per kWh of electricity should be its maximum hourly running cost.
    Originally posted by victor2
    Ahem. It uses 2kWh per hour.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 27th May 13, 10:09 AM
    • 15,007 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    Sir James Dyson paaa!
    I fart in your general direction. Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries.
    Last edited by penrhyn; 27-05-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: A knight of the realm
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
    • macman
    • By macman 27th May 13, 10:33 AM
    • 40,391 Posts
    • 16,388 Thanks
    macman
    Manners please! It's Sir James to you...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 27th May 13, 10:40 AM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 5,662 Thanks
    whitesatin
    My daughter has a brilliant Dyson floor cleaner. Next on my list.
    • MrsPBikerChick
    • By MrsPBikerChick 27th May 13, 10:53 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    MrsPBikerChick
    Yes they're expensive to buy straight off, but they're incredibly efficient - way more so than a £10 Argos fan heater (which I have owned and gotten rid of because it was rubbish) - and so don't need to be on for anything like the same length of time. I found the one were borrowed to actually be more efficient than our central heating, but i think that says more about our cr*ppy boiler!

If you need to have the Argos heater on for 2hrs to heat a room but the Dyson one for only 30 mins the actual costs quickly even up. Plus you would end up spending £20 with Argos for a heater and a separate fan (OP said they would use both functions) and I would expect a £250+ Dyson appliance to last considerably longer and have a considerably better guarantee. It's not just the initial purchase price you should consider. One of these is currently on my birthday Wishlist

Edit: Whitesatin, we also own a Dyson vacuum which, although ageing a bit, is still the only thing which copes with a husky dog in full moult and the amount of long hair both hubby and I shed as well. I wouldn't buy anything else. And no, I don't work for Dyson!
    Last edited by MrsPBikerChick; 27-05-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    I don't like chick flicks, I get grazed knuckles doing my own car repairs and I ride a massive cruiser motorbike. To many this makes me a bloke in disguise but to my husband this makes me perfect
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 27th May 13, 11:03 AM
    • 9,278 Posts
    • 9,443 Thanks
    rogerblack
    Yes they're expensive to buy straight off, but they're incredibly efficient - way more so than a £10 Argos fan heater (which I have owned and gotten rid of because it was rubbish) - and so don't need to be on for anything like the same length of time. I found the one were borrowed to actually be more efficient than our central heating, but i think that says more about our cr*ppy boiler!
    Originally posted by MrsPBikerChick
    May it provide a more directed jet of air - and stir a room better than a £20 fan-heater - yes.
    Will it produce more heat per unit of electricity - no.
    If you can prove it does significantly, I will pay £1000 to buy it from you.
    How did you measure the efficiency?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 27th May 13, 11:05 AM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    victor2
    Yes they're expensive to buy straight off, but they're incredibly efficient - way more so than a £10 Argos fan heater (which I have owned and gotten rid of because it was rubbish)
    Originally posted by MrsPBikerChick
    More than 100% efficient then, which all electrical heating devices are?....
    I suspect you meant effective rather than efficient. Would still have to be about 30 times more effective than the Argos special to justify the price. By the way, my £10 fan heater also has a "fan only" mode.
    Of course if you see it as a piece of Sir Dyson's art work you're buying, then that puts things in a different light.
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 27th May 13, 11:52 AM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    DragonQ
    Nothing is 100% efficient. In the case of a heater, some energy will be "lost" as light (electrical elements) and noise (fan). Heaters do tend to be very efficient on a pure "how much energy is converted to heat" basis, but then it depends what is done with that heat. If it's mainly stuck in a corner of a room it's still wasted energy. If it's distributed effectively then it's more efficient in terms of how useful the energy use is to you.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 27th May 13, 8:18 PM
    • 26,421 Posts
    • 12,717 Thanks
    Cardew
    Nothing is 100% efficient. In the case of a heater, some energy will be "lost" as light (electrical elements) and noise (fan).
    Originally posted by DragonQ
    That is not correct; all electrical heaters are 100% efficient at converting the energy they use into heat.

Ten 100watt bulbs using, say, 1kWh will produce exactly as much heat as any form of electrical heater - including fan heaters - using 1kWh.

Your statement that energy will be 'lost' as light or noise etc contradicts the First Law of Thermodynamics that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
    Last edited by Cardew; 27-05-2013 at 8:21 PM.
    • sheffield lad
    • By sheffield lad 27th May 13, 8:33 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    sheffield lad
    Why is Sir James Dyson getting a rough deal?

Oh I forgot, we like to knocking anyone who have done well for themselves. Runner up hero, winners (which Dyson is), and we knock them down a peg or two.

Still would not buy that heater though
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 27th May 13, 8:43 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    DragonQ
    That is not correct; all electrical heaters are 100% efficient at converting the energy they use into heat.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Nonsense. Electrical elements emit light, have you never looked inside an electric oven?

Ten 100watt bulbs using, say, 1kWh will produce exactly as much heat as any form of electrical heater - including fan heaters - using 1kWh.
    Clearly not as some of the energy is emitted as light.

Your statement that energy will be 'lost' as light or noise etc contradicts the First Law of Thermodynamics that energy cannot be created or destroyed.
    No, your statement violates the law because you are saying that something that emits light is somehow also emitting all the energy it consumes as heat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,693Users online

Martin's Twitter