Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:23 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:23 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier SSE 28th Jan 13 at 4:23 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

SSE (which includes Atlantic, Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric and Swalec)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-07-2017 at 2:03 PM.
Page 1
    • topgirl2011
    • By topgirl2011 5th Feb 13, 10:37 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    topgirl2011
    • 5th Feb 13, 10:37 AM
    Early Exit Charges
    • 5th Feb 13, 10:37 AM
    Was about to switch when I read the Southern Electric T&C's. It seems to say that you have to pay £50 exit fee regardless of when you leave, whereas on the Cheap Energy Club it says you only pay if you leave before April 2014. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
  • cllj06
    • 5th Feb 13, 3:31 PM
    • 5th Feb 13, 3:31 PM
    Was about to switch when I read the Southern Electric T&C's. It seems to say that you have to pay £50 exit fee regardless of when you leave, whereas on the Cheap Energy Club it says you only pay if you leave before April 2014. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.
    Originally posted by topgirl2011

Same question - it's not really clear!
  • Wywth
    • 5th Feb 13, 5:05 PM
    • 5th Feb 13, 5:05 PM
    Which tariff are you two looking at?

e.g. on the SSE website for Discounted Energy April 2015 tariff it says:
    Energy prices are constantly changing but our cheapest tariff, Discounted Energy April 2015, guarantees you a 2% discount off our standard energy rates until 2015 – regardless of whether prices go up or down during that period. What's more, you could save up to £92 a year when you pay by monthly Direct Debit and choose paperless billing*. Should you decide to leave us before 1 April 2014, a £50 termination fee would apply.
    http://www.southern-electric.co.uk/GasAndElectricity/DiscountedEnergyApril2015/

Btw, none of this is really appropriate to the purpose of this thread is it?
    I would suggest you start a new thread if you are having issues understanding a particular tariff's terms.
    Last edited by Wywth; 05-02-2013 at 5:09 PM.
    • topgirl2011
    • By topgirl2011 7th Feb 13, 6:49 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    topgirl2011
    • 7th Feb 13, 6:49 PM
    • 7th Feb 13, 6:49 PM
    Brilliant! Pleased to say I have decided to switch! Thanks a lot.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Mar 13, 3:07 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 27th Mar 13, 3:07 PM
    • 27th Mar 13, 3:07 PM
    How do these compare to Scottish Power for customer service ?
    ie Do they have real people or automated replies for emails ?
    • moondancermel
    • By moondancermel 16th May 13, 10:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moondancermel
    • 16th May 13, 10:46 AM
    The switch is until Oct 2014
    • 16th May 13, 10:46 AM
    Originally posted by topgirl2011

This is a special price that finishes Oct 2014 so you can change after that with no exit fee. Southern Electric are a good company and have a customer service that puts the others to shame. If you have questions call them.
    • moondancermel
    • By moondancermel 16th May 13, 10:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moondancermel
    • 16th May 13, 10:48 AM
    • 16th May 13, 10:48 AM
    Can anyone tell me why they don't quote Southern Electric with paperless billing AND without. There is a £12 a year saving for paperless, which makes them cheaper than all the others, for my usage at least.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 16th May 13, 6:27 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 16th May 13, 6:27 PM
    • 16th May 13, 6:27 PM
    Their customer service is the best I have ever known.....so very helpful
    • ro888
    • By ro888 25th May 13, 2:20 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ro888
    Strange, did they not offer online account management?

It says no on MSE comparison?
  • SidP
    A few things regarding Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE)'s 1yr Fixed Price Plan:

1) The Cheap Energy Club offers £15 cash back for each fuel switched through the Club to this tariff. However, the tariff itself offers a £50 account credit for each fuel switched which the CEC webpage doesn't mention at all. There's also no clear indication that the former invalidates the latter. An email has been sent to Scottish Hydro for clarification.
    EDIT: The Ts & Cs for the cashback for the Cheap Energy Club state clearly that:
    This offer is provided by Moneysupermarket.com Limited (“Moneysupermarket.com”) registered in England No. 3945937.
    The adviser from Scottish Hydro Electric has responded that:
    I can confirm that we will offer the £100 to any new customer who signs up for the " 1 Year Fixed Price" regardless of any outside offers made from comparison companies.
    2) Which?'s switching tool indicates in its terms and conditions summary for this tariff that those initiating a switch in the last 49 days of the Plan will not be charged a cancellation fee. This has been confirmed by SHE to be wrong. Customers will be charged for leaving at any time before the end of the Plan.
    Additionally, "leaving" applies to beginning the process of making the switch to a new tariff or company, and not the date on which the new tariff or company assumes control of billing.

EDIT: 3) MSE's Cheap Energy Club indicates this tariff doesn't offer online account management. I'm 99% sure that, during my recent call to SHE, the adviser confirmed that online account management is available. As a result, a discount for paperless billing is also available that reduces the Standing Charge slightly for both fuels.
    EDIT: Scottish Hydro definitely offer online account management:
    http://www.hydro.co.uk/BenefitsOfAnOnlineAccount/

I may take (2) up with OfGem, as this seems an unreasonable interpretation of the term, "leaving", considering the length of time it takes to switch to a new company (4-6 weeks).

I have to say I'm disappointed with the initial presentation of the Cheap Energy Club. Unless things improve, the inaccuracies could cause it to be a major liability, and not a benefit at all.
    Last edited by SidP; 03-10-2013 at 7:34 PM. Reason: Added point (3) and SHE responses
  • SidP
    Just an update regarding point (2) in my post above: transpires that Which? were correct and the adviser (and whoever she checked her information with) are wrong! According to the hardcopy documentation I received through the post after signing up for the tariff, SSE can "choose" to impose a charge of £50 on those who leave before the last 49 days of their contract.

This kind of poor information from companies is so rife now I expect it more than a correct answer. I know several people who have had similar experiences and are just as weary as me with this state of affairs.
  • Lottyloo
    SSE - wouldn't touch with a bargepole
    I wouldn't use this company if they were giving electricity away! I used to be with them - and it was the worst thing I ever did. 2 years down the line I am still paying for their customer "advice" - given wrongly about registering my FIT. In fact despite intervention from the Ombudsman they have still NOT responded. I was even told by a manager that it was not their "responsibility to give correct advice to customers - customers are expected to find it out themselves". If you do switch - be warned.
  • M...
    I switched to SSE in October after moving into a flat with a dubious and relatively unknown energy company attached.

The switch-over went relatively smoothly, I received updates from them every now and again, and it took the standard 6 weeks to fully switch to them.

Generally I've received helpful service from them for queries I've had, though I emailed them a few times and it took them a week to get back to me.

As a young person who hasn't had to deal too much with energy companies until now, I've been so surprised by how SSE, and every other utility company, provide information in such a confusing manner. Plain English is generally used across the board now, and the energy companies do use this in their contracts, but what they say they are offering you sounds very different to what the reality is.

In my naivety, I didn't even know that my £** monthly payment wouldn't cover the bills, so I was a bit surprised the first time I submitted my readings and got told I owed £**. My bills are quite high for the size of our flat, but I am guessing it is down to the landlord not wanting to update the storage heaters or oven/cooker. It also took quite a bit of reading to figure out that 'Fixed Price' was in relation to their kWh rate.

Generally my switch was as stress-free as you could get with a switch-over, the service since has been helpful (if a little delayed), but as with every other company, SSE are great at selling you something very different to what you think you're buying! Some plain, no nonsense info from the very start would be more appreciated.
    • Stuart Stebbens
    • By Stuart Stebbens 20th Sep 16, 7:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stuart Stebbens
    Economy 7 Meters and SSE
    Hi
    Just as a warning, anyone who has an Economy 7 Meter like me will not get SSE 99 Month deal as they insist on giving the split tariff for day and night. They can not honour the deal. In my case they simply cancelled the application and told me to re-apply. This is their policy. In the 10 plus years i Have lived at the address I have never had an Economy 7 Tariff and have 3 previous providers who can simply deal with one tariff. This includes my last one OVO. I now after 14 days need to look for a new deal. I can not however on this website see any way to delete the deal. It says my deal is in progress the letter in my hand says my deal has been cancelled. Does anyone know how to delete the cancelled deal so I can select a new one?
    Thanks Stuart
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 21st Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi
    Just as a warning, anyone who has an Economy 7 Meter like me will not get SSE 99 Month deal as they insist on giving the split tariff for day and night. They can not honour the deal. In my case they simply cancelled the application and told me to re-apply. This is their policy. In the 10 plus years i Have lived at the address I have never had an Economy 7 Tariff and have 3 previous providers who can simply deal with one tariff. This includes my last one OVO. I now after 14 days need to look for a new deal. I can not however on this website see any way to delete the deal. It says my deal is in progress the letter in my hand says my deal has been cancelled. Does anyone know how to delete the cancelled deal so I can select a new one?
    Thanks Stuart
    Originally posted by Stuart Stebbens
    Welcome to MSE

If I undertstand you correctly, your application to switch to MSE has been cancelled by SSE as the tariff you applied for is not compatible with the metering you currently have.

Therefore, you must have filled in the details on the CEC incorrectly if you applied via them.

To cancel the 'switch in progress' that currently shows on your CEC account, contact the CEC.

There's a CONTACTS link at the bottom of any page on this forum
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 4th Mar 17, 4:30 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    kev2009
    Just applied to SSE today to switch electricity, did it over the phone as first time i'm doing this and no idea what they would ask me.

All went very well, even got the name of the person and there extension number... So now just waiting to hear from them in writing and then further details on when to expect to be switched, they advise it will be about 3 weeks so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly

Kev
    • katejo
    • By katejo 4th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,963 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    katejo
    I am with SSE now (under the hat of M & S Energy now but have previously also been with Atlantic). I have found the customer Services to be very good. OK they aren't the cheapest but I haven't had any problems in all the time I have been with them. I ought to move but am reluctant to do so.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 6th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    kev2009
    Hi all,

@katejo - thanks for you reply - very pleasing to hear from an existing customer that is happy with SSE! They were not the cheapest for me either but they were the only company i'd heard of and the others who were cheaper were companies only been going a year so didn't want to take a chance and end up with a headache Plus i'm not saving an awful lot on the electricity but a few quid.

Do SSE typical send details through the post or via email out of interest? The lady on the phone mentioned about going through setting up my online account so i thought those details might be emailed but nothing so far.

Thanks

Kev
    Last edited by kev2009; 06-03-2017 at 3:47 PM.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 6th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    kev2009
    Update:

Got a email from SSE this evening, in the email it says:-

"• If you owe money to your old supplier, or have a bill outstanding for more than 28 days they may object to us taking your supply until you have paid what is due"

Do I need to contact my existing supplier and pay anything I owe? I believe at present I have, for round figures, £68 in credit with electricity and £38 in debit on the Gas. Do i need to pay the £38 now?

I thought when they receive my closing meter readings, they would refund me any money owed and also take any money I owed them?

Don't want anything to cause a problem with the switch hence checking as new to this.

Thanks

Kev
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

7,983Users online

Martin's Twitter