Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 23rd Jan 13, 4:39 PM
    • 8,143Posts
    • 20,190Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Forum Introduction Guide official discussion
    • 23rd Jan 13, 4:39 PM
    Forum Introduction Guide official discussion 23rd Jan 13 at 4:39 PM

MSE Official Update:

In April 2015 we launched a new Forum design. If you'd joined the Forum before then you have the choice of using either the old green or new blue versions. If you joined after you are using the new blue version. This Forum Introduction Guide is a guide to the old green Forum.

A new guide is in the pipeline. Meanwhile, this discussion is here for reference for any forum users still using the old green version.

--------------------------------
    Hi everyone!

This thread's specifically for discussing the Forum Introduction Guide. Feedback is welcome. Please reply below to let us know your thoughts.

Just click 'reply' to discuss it

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-11-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
  • Mikelite
    Did you find out how to post new threads?
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 4th Sep 14, 11:02 AM
    • 67,724 Posts
    • 124,665 Thanks
    torbrex
    Did you find out how to post new threads?
    Originally posted by Mikelite
    Navigate to the relative forum and click on the 'New Thread' button on the top left of the page.
    • BrosLady
    • By BrosLady 25th Sep 14, 12:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BrosLady
    Just joined.
    Finding it very confusing. Hard to see where to post notes!
    I have been having Martin's newsletter for years but only today joined the forum.
    Did so because yesterday I had a call from Telecommunications Protection Service.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 25th Sep 14, 1:39 PM
    • 51,384 Posts
    • 21,751 Thanks
    grumbler
    Forum >> Phones & TV board >>

I guess MSE's Forum Introduction Guide is still as worthless as it used to be, and MSE Towers keep ignoring the feedback that they apparently welcomed.
    Last edited by grumbler; 25-09-2014 at 1:42 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 25th Sep 14, 2:54 PM
    • 67,724 Posts
    • 124,665 Thanks
    torbrex
    Forum >> Phones & TV board >>

I guess MSE's Forum Introduction Guide is still as worthless as it used to be, and MSE Towers keep ignoring the feedback that they apparently welcomed.
    Originally posted by grumbler
    Also likely that new users don't pay attention to the guide, they certainly don't read any instructional posts as this person today proves, they have asked the same question as everyone else and done it in the thread right after my post giving the answer to the previous one.
  • DanW87
    Hello everyone.

After months of reading the forums and weekly email, I have finally decided to join :-)
    • cat410
    • By cat410 19th Dec 14, 4:45 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    cat410
    I have read the instructructions, watched the video and the comments on this thread. Im not thick, but it really isnt clear how to start a new post. There is no box on stating 'new thread'. Realise you're all experts, but you were newbies at one point.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 19th Dec 14, 5:05 PM
    • 51,384 Posts
    • 21,751 Thanks
    grumbler
    It's a button, not a box.

• teds1974
    How are you supposed to ask a question on here? (if your reply is 'you just did' then don't bother)
    I have got a question about council tax but can only see how to comment on current strings, none of which are relevant...

Thanks
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 29th Dec 14, 11:40 AM
    • 51,384 Posts
    • 21,751 Thanks
    grumbler
    >> Forum

Select the most appropriate board, e.g.

House Buying, Renting & Selling
    Cutting Tax

Use button at the top/bottom of the board.

Will the towers ever realise that their 'guide' is useless to say it mildly?
    Last edited by grumbler; 29-12-2014 at 11:47 AM.

• torbrex
    • By torbrex 29th Dec 14, 12:38 PM
    • 67,724 Posts
    • 124,665 Thanks
    torbrex
    I'm with you grumbler, it must be a useless guide if it doesn't explain the simple things, on the other hand, are newbies actually looking at the guide all the way through, I know I got bored with it.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 29th Dec 14, 5:28 PM
    • 8,303 Posts
    • 17,916 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    If a site is constructed properly, with the user in mind throughout the process, then a guide is often irrelevant, as everything is intuitive/obvious/appropriately labelled.

It isn't the guide that is particularly the problem.
    It is the fact that there is so much 'unnecessary junk' included on the forum (which should be just on the main site), that there isn't the space to make everything clear.

I suspect the next incarnation of this forum will be worse than this one.
    • cat410
    • By cat410 29th Dec 14, 9:35 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    cat410
    starting a new thread
    Ok, ive been trying suss out for a while now how to create a thread, added my question on a similar thread and got my hands slapped by an old member. Im new, please give me chance. How do I start my own thread? Oh, also, there is no 'new thread' button from what I can see
    • cat410
    • By cat410 29th Dec 14, 9:39 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    cat410
    It's a button, not a box.
    Originally posted by grumbler
    helpful. Not
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 29th Dec 14, 9:40 PM
    • 51,384 Posts
    • 21,751 Thanks
    grumbler
    Ok, ive been trying suss out for a while now how to create a thread, added my question on a similar thread and got my hands slapped by an old member. Im new, please give me chance. How do I start my own thread? Oh, also, there is no 'new thread' button from what I can see
    Originally posted by cat410
    Have a look at few posts above yours?

Where exactly "there is no 'new thread' button"?

helpful. Not
    Originally posted by cat410
    How come?
    You were looking for some box.
    I said that you had to look for a button instead.

On this page of this thread you can find how this button looks at least in three places. So can you find the explanation where exactly these buttons are located.

Alternatively you can use the drop-down menu "Forum tools" in the green bar at the top of all boards - just under the very same button.

I hope that now, with 19 posts count, you understand that it's starting a new thread that you seem to have problems with, not a new post. The post # 47 above was your 17th one.
    Last edited by grumbler; 29-12-2014 at 9:56 PM.

• fermi
    • By fermi 29th Dec 14, 10:07 PM
    • 39,173 Posts
    • 46,997 Thanks
    fermi
    There is a new thread button at the top of each board to start a thread on that particular board.

For example here on the Site Feedback board if you go to the main page of the board it is here:

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • fermi
    • By fermi 30th Dec 14, 11:11 AM
    • 39,173 Posts
    • 46,997 Thanks
    fermi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 30th Dec 14, 11:12 AM
    • 8,143 Posts
    • 20,190 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

We're considering a new intro guide for the new look forum but will make a final decision on that once the new version has launched.

Thanks for the screenshot fermi, that helps explain nicely

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • fermi
    • By fermi 30th Dec 14, 11:14 AM
    • 39,173 Posts
    • 46,997 Thanks
    fermi
    Forgot you could put the video in youtube tags as well, so have by coincidence just added that.

• torbrex
    • By torbrex 30th Dec 14, 11:49 AM
    • 67,724 Posts
    • 124,665 Thanks
    torbrex
    You just have to look at this thread and see how many people have only posted a few times to realise how bad the guide is, some of them have just posted once in this thread and in spite of being told and shown where the button is, they disappear and don't come back.

Now this is either really stupid people or lazy or impatient or it is the guide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

165Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter