Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 609Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 1
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 19th Mar 12, 12:55 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:55 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:55 PM
    Not going to mention past bargains will just start with Saturdays buy, just two things - a lovely long cotton skirt for the summer only £2 and a book I have been wanting to read for ages for £1 which is only a couple of years old and still £6.99 to buy.

Edited as checked skirt when putting it away after washing and drying it and found its a per una Speziale from M&S so definitely not bad for £2
    Last edited by prepareathome; 19-03-2012 at 8:38 PM.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 £119.12/2012-? Save £12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
    • PinkTiger
    • By PinkTiger 19th Mar 12, 3:14 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    PinkTiger
    • 19th Mar 12, 3:14 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 3:14 PM
    hi all,

just wanted to let you fellow bargain hunters know that there is an existing thread on charity shop & car boot sale bargains over on the Ebay board. I found it by accident about a year ago.

I'm not saying there should'nt be one here aswell, I actually like the fact this one is here as I visit this forum alot more than that one (mostly just a lurker) & as i don't drive I hardly ever go to boot sales, just local charity shops, so the bargains everyone finds make me jealous!

anyway I hope the link works

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1988327
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    • PinkTiger
    • By PinkTiger 19th Mar 12, 3:26 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    PinkTiger
    • 19th Mar 12, 3:26 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 3:26 PM
    forgot to add my last charity shop bargain- a lovely pressed glass cake stand for £2.99 to add to my collection.

one of my most used charity shop finds is a potato ricer i got for 95p, had mashed potato every night for a week i was so pleased with my find!
    'there goes an old transexual, last seen heading south,
    her friends call her Bernie but her real name is Ralph'
    Felicia, Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    • xfive71
    • By xfive71 19th Mar 12, 3:31 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    xfive71
    • 19th Mar 12, 3:31 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 3:31 PM
    Found 3 good quality battery operated toys from the likes of VTech and Fisher Price for my 1.5 year old for £2 each. They are sturdy and well-made and I hope to ebay them when the little one gets tired of them
    • luvvie
    • By luvvie 19th Mar 12, 4:00 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    luvvie
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:00 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:00 PM
    A lovely pair of brand new black suede shoeboots. They haven't been worn and they were the bargainous price of £2.99 they still had the original price sticker on the sole £45

A lovely burgundy velvet military jacket £2.49 and a gorgeous navy blue bag with brown leather straps and blue, green and burgundy sequin detail £1.99 both items from butterfly by Matthew Williamson. Love my charity shops, boot sales and jumble rummages!

• Nicepeach
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:11 PM
    Yippee!
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:11 PM
    Thanks for starting koolkatsaffi

I agree about the whole giving aspect of Charity Shop Shopping. Well done with the vase, glad she liked it.

Thanks for the info & link PinkTiger. Didn't know it even existed, still finding my way around the Old Style board/threads & rarely look elsewhere so I'll have a look.

Nothing to report for me so far this week but it is only Monday after all...

However, did pop into local Hospice shop earlier today though as it's Mum's birthday soon & I'm thinking of doing a little tea party & inviting all her sisters so I'm looking for a pretty tea-set (matching cups & saucers -will need at least six - lots of aunties! side plates & sandwich plates kind of thing). They had a few but they were all quite chunky ones & I'd like a pretty china one if I can find one cheap enough. Got a few weeks so will keep looking.

Thanks again koolkatsaffi. Really looking forward to hearing about everyone's finds.
    • dawn1980
    • By dawn1980 19th Mar 12, 4:16 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    dawn1980
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:16 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:16 PM
    Not charity shop but jumble sale. I bought two really nice (cotton trader) tops for 20p each.

A week ago I bought a very versatile skirt (mars and spencers)and smart linen trousers (next) in a charity shop for £7.

I'm getting better at going regularly and not expecting to buy a whole wardrobe in one trip. A nice piece every couple of weeks is good. I've mastered my sewing machine now which gives me options for alterations. (I have very short legs.)

Our town has a swap shop at the end of the month so maybe a few freebies to be had.
    Last edited by dawn1980; 19-03-2012 at 4:18 PM.
  • mfwin2019
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:27 PM
    • 19th Mar 12, 4:27 PM
    My best bargain every was about 3 months ago, a lovely Radley handbag for £3.99 - I felt a bit guilty for all of 30 seconds as the lovely ladies in the shop obviously didn't know what it was - I love it & it gets lots of comments from my friends
    mfwin2019
    MFiT2 no 184
    Starting at £181,869Target is £150,000 achieved £147,772
    MFiT3 no 20
    Start £147,772 - £96924 July 2015 target £90'000
  • Nicepeach
    Hi dawn

Hope you enjoy your bargains.

I have short legs too! Am seriously considering getting a sewing machine to try & customise things but am not renowned for my patience or craft skills. As I said in another post my CS habit started a long time ago before petite ranges were widely available & I didn't mind paying CS prices & then have to pay the tailoring/alteration fees on top (nothing posh - just recommendations from friends of "ladies who can sew & don't charge much").

I am intrigued about the Swap Shop you mentioned in your post. Never heard of this. Does everyone just bring things to swap? Do tell... (I have a vision of Noel Edmonds running it - does anyone else remember Saturday Swap Shop?! Oops showing my age now...).
    • tiff
    • By tiff 19th Mar 12, 4:35 PM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Not a massive bargain but I volunteer in a CS and bought a brand new Harris Tweed double coin purse. Was going to give it for mothers day, as I know my MIL wants a clasp purse but decided to put it back for Christmas. Paid £4.99 and they are £15 retail so not a massive bargain but still pleased with it.
    ďA budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.Ē - Dave Ramsey
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 19th Mar 12, 4:55 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 29,126 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    i bought dd1 2 pairs of gap jeans today for pound each
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 5:57 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 2,343 Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    Wow...Some great bargains!

I popped into local hospice shop today and picked up a brand new deep egg poaching pan for £1.50 ...I was looking for a little pan to take camping with me as I go camping a lot with the biker charity I volunteer for & prefer to cook for myself rather than eat from costly greasy burger vans...I can use it to cook allsorts in as it is so deep

I also got a book for 20p from a fave author so I'm pleased with my finds!

No thanks needed Nicepeach...

Glad you are all enjoying the thread so far!

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 19th Mar 12, 7:39 PM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 33,784 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Good thread
    Last week found a very nice wooden 'mum' for hanging on the wall. Said 'mum knows everything' which went very well with the book 'the world's most difficult quiz' i'd already bought online. Ornament was 99p and gave it to my mum instead of a card
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 19th Mar 12, 8:11 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 13,316 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    I visit my favourite Charity Shops once a week - I carry a list of clothes/books/crockerythat I'm looking for to help me focus when looking through the rails

Last week I bought a like-new Barbour polartec fleece jacket for £5 and this week got a purple M&S Botany Wool heavyweight knitted tunic for £1.99 (in half price Oxfam sale)

Currently shopping for summer cardi, cotton / linen trousers and/or skirt, canvas workbag, sandals and a couple of extra large teamugs!
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 19th Mar 12, 8:15 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 6,978 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Last week: The new Stephen King hardback novel (11.23.63) for £1.35, a Monsoon top for £2.99 and a Fat Face (very appropriate) top for £1.99.
    The week before: Per Una cords from the reduced rail for £1.
    Normal people worry me.
    • nuttybabe
    • By nuttybabe 19th Mar 12, 8:16 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 20,755 Thanks
    nuttybabe
    Last Friday I bought ds2 a coat which looks new for 50p. He loves it!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 19th Mar 12, 8:25 PM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 33,784 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Mfwin very jealous.but well done you.
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 19th Mar 12, 8:33 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 18,815 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Most recent buy was a nice denim pinafore dress for DD (2.5), older Boots label in it, £2.49. In the last 6-9 months I've found a lot of M&S and Next things for her and DS, very new-looking and very cheap; fave things are 2 vintage M&S dresses for her, one knitted red/white/blue, one white linen with a bit of smocking - each £2-3 and about 30 years old judging by the styles, so no one else has dresses like her!
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 8:56 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 2,343 Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    I visit my favourite Charity Shops once a week - I carry a list of clothes/books/crockerythat I'm looking for to help me focus when looking through the rails
    Originally posted by charlies-aunt
    Great idea!

I am currently on the lookout for a big pan to use for preserving!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,476Posts Today

6,394Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin