Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • li'l_p
    • By li'l_p 27th Jan 07, 5:02 PM
    • 840Posts
    • 1,667Thanks
    li'l_p
    Valentine's ideas... for MEN???
    • 27th Jan 07, 5:02 PM
    Valentine's ideas... for MEN??? 27th Jan 07 at 5:02 PM
    It's pretty easy to buy for women... roses, teddies, perfume, chococlates, jewellery, etc.

However, what is there to give to men? Has anyone got any ideas for stuff for men that aren't too wussy? I'm looking for 'token' ideas, not weekend's away, etc.

:confused:
Page 2
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 30th Jan 07, 9:14 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    skint chick - what about putting a small memories box together. Put in a favourtie photo of you both, a favourite sweetie (like rolos or something), a pack of love hearts. Add a sweet message on a card and voila! You can make it as small or as extravagant as you want. Its also personal which I think is lovely.

this can be posted if he's not nearby and doesn't contain anything overtly sexual.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • Angel777
    • By Angel777 30th Jan 07, 10:20 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Angel777
    Hi skintchick, good for you i think thats great.

What about making a mixed cd of sentimental songs for him?

Writing him a poem, i did this for my 1st anniversary.

making a voucher that he can redeem for you cooking him a meal when you do see him, i did something similar and found one on the internet that i just printed off with my message on it?
  • M157RY
    Hi Skintchick, you could lovehearts.com they have some nice ideas of sweets etc u could get.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 31st Jan 07, 10:10 AM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 9,559 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=364206
    • vixarooni
    • By vixarooni 31st Jan 07, 12:33 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 6,830 Thanks
    vixarooni
    so far i have got my boyfriend a teddy bear that says "sexy bear" on the front with a heart container containing sweets around his neck. Cost me £3 from the sale in debenhams ha.

Im making him a card and i'll get him something else too.
  • jamtart6
    mine wants new trainers!!! haha!! VERY romantic! but im so proud he has learnt to be (over) practical!

I am getting some " i love you" chocolates from thorntons they are about £2.50 and they are going in his lunch bag! but i did that last year so could do with some new ideas too...

we're not doing anything on the night as i have a thing with work (rubbish timing or what) and i dont think he needs another teddy....

Being Thrifty Gifty again this year

• kazprincess
    I am going to send a box to his work and put a balloon in there, some CD's, a few heart chocolates, some sexy handcuffs, a posing pouch! All sexy, but funny things! He works with his Dad, Uncle, best mate and a few others so i am a little scared but recon he will see the funny side (and sweet side for me thinking of him).
    wins 2008: nada
  • kittiwoz
    roses, teddies, perfume, chocolates, jewellery, etc.
    by li'l_P
    If my bf buys me a lazy, tacky generic gift like that I shan't be pleased. He might get away with chocolates since I actually like them or even flowers because I've never had a guy buy me flowers but I'd rather have something more personal that shows some thought and not some mass market girlie gift tsaske. If he buys me anything with pastel colours I'll be forced to dump him.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for him yet but it will have to be very cheap since I'm completely skint. I'll probably cook him a nice meal and bake him some biscuits or brownies. I think he'll like that. The problem I'll have if I cook him a meal though is getting rid of all my housemates for the evening. Who knows though. If the wheather is as good as it was today we could have a picnic. I think that'd be ace. That's my idea of romance.
    • ollyshaw
    • By ollyshaw 2nd Feb 07, 5:48 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    ollyshaw
    How about these:

Malt whiskey;

Golf lessons (or whatever his hobby is);

Treat him to a nice meal out?

Olly
    ## No signature by order of the management ##
    • li'l_p
    • By li'l_p 3rd Feb 07, 11:00 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    li'l_p
    If my bf buys me a lazy, tacky generic gift like that I shan't be pleased. He might get away with chocolates since I actually like them or even flowers because I've never had a guy buy me flowers but I'd rather have something more personal that shows some thought and not some mass market girlie gift tsaske. If he buys me anything with pastel colours I'll be forced to dump him.
    by kittiwoz
    TBH I agree with you wholeheartedly. I personally hate being given roses (waste/overpriced/don't last long) and chocolates, etc, but I do like the sentiment of the day despite the total commercial aspect, hence the reason I am looking towards more personal gifts, and in keeping with the spirit of this site, things that are money-saving, preferably home made.
  • iwanttosave
    I cant do this again this year coz I did it last year, but my fella loves sweets, and if you have a local market that sells sweets then you can do it yourself for about a tenner.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/large-wooden-romance-p-1401.html
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Edinburghlass
    my boyfriend assures me that this is correct. However, I am still considering all my options
    by r.mac
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • emma_b
    this thread made me laugh so much

a MSE idea would be never buy our fellas anything just keep the bjs in plentiful supply!
    • Nenen
    • By Nenen 3rd Feb 07, 2:06 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 7,525 Thanks
    Nenen
    I just hope my dd never reads this thread... she has never fogiven me for giving her a name that means her initials are BJ!
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)

• FieryBlondeScot
    try valentinesgift.co.uk

i have only jus started seeing a guy and its at that casual stage so i needed a pressie that wasnt 'deep' or soppy and this site has loads of stuff on it. got a little red jigsaw that comes in a cute box and when made says i think your gorgeous will send it to his work to embarras him

he he

also sexual positions scratchcards and stuff but didnt want himt o think im a sex maniac just yet
  • CFC
    try valentinesgift.co.uk

he he

also sexual positions scratchcards and stuff but didnt want himt o think im a sex maniac just yet
    by FieryBlondeScot
    You're saving the revelation that you're a sex maniac for his birthday? Very MSE.
  • Moonbeam
    for my hubby this year keeping it simple...

Running him a hot bubble bath, with glass of wine, small choccie bar and stuff magazine for him to read.....

No rude stuff unfortunately this year due to impending birth of child no2 - but I guess he got that pressie early since I'm in this condition now Maybe if we'd stuck with BJ it wouldn't be such a problem
    • save-a-lot
    • By save-a-lot 6th Feb 07, 11:59 PM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    save-a-lot
    Two great gifts I have had is microlight lesson and also a track day at Oulton Park. The microlight lesson was the cheaper of the two.

Failing that a Scalextic - every blokes dream (while been given a blowjob - perfect)
    Blow job
    by Ivrytwr3
    • save-a-lot
    • By save-a-lot 10th Feb 07, 6:37 AM
    • 2,507 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    save-a-lot
    This makes a fabulous gift for any fella!

url removed - advertising your own site hinnie... naughty! Tinks

It is fully personalised with any name and dedication so you can have a lot of fun there!

Ian
    by hinnie
    Is it a great gift!

I don't think so...

these buy an acre of land on the moon, name a star things are just license for these companies to take your money for literally nothing but a certificate. Woo hoo a certificate. Some people may like this sort of thing, it is just my opinion as a bloke and is not a dig at you hinnie
    Last edited by MrsTinks; 10-02-2007 at 7:52 AM.
  • Minxz
    I cant do this again this year coz I did it last year, but my fella loves sweets, and if you have a local market that sells sweets then you can do it yourself for about a tenner.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/large-wooden-romance-p-1401.html
    Originally posted by iwanttosave
    Love this idea, thanks!
    Also, for foodie men, you can get personalised huge cookies from Millies Cookies in heart shapes etc, for about £10.

http://www.milliescookies.com/products/giantcookies.php
    Or make your own
    http://www.everythingvalentinesday.com/valentine-recipes/cookies/valentine-sugar-cookies.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

9,202Users online

Martin's Twitter