Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Catherine002
    • 26th Apr 11, 4:09 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 4:09 PM
    Depends if you want to drink or not? Why not have a vintage tea party in your garden, or a girls pamper night in. All the girls could bring some make up, nail varnish and face masks
  • englishjurgen
    • 27th Apr 11, 9:28 PM
    • 27th Apr 11, 9:28 PM
    I had this problem earlier in the year too. Some hen do activities were into the £100s, which is crazy when you have to pay for accommodation/drinks/outift/present for the wedding too. We ended up having a good old fashioned sleepover, cos it was February and it was cold, with silly games and a midnight feast. Noone fancied the night out in town as we were all skint and we'd done it all before. It was a good laugh and gave us all the time for a girly gossip which we never seem to have.

Im going to another one in the summer, where we are all camping, but we have to be girl scouts and go out on challenges. Not sure what it's like yet cos we've not been on it, but it looks like great fun and its £13 each for games, outfits and novelty bits - sounds good! This is the website - freerangehenparty.wordpress.com
  • Rubynewshoes
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:02 PM
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:02 PM
    I had mine at a vintage shop that also runs jewellery making and dress making classes. We had a treasure hunt around the shop and made fascinators that a lot of us wore to the wedding. We drank champagne and ate tiny sandwiches and cupcakes. It was an absolute blast. Everyone joined in; there was something for everyone to enjoy and nobody felt uncomfortable as there was none of the 'normal' hen do stuff, i.e willy straws etc!
  • twirlypinky
    • 28th Apr 11, 8:53 AM
    • 28th Apr 11, 8:53 AM
    I had mine at an activity centre in marlow, we did various different climbing activities, water orbing etc, and then in the evening in our little room we did a murder mystery.
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
    • DaisyMoo
    • By DaisyMoo 29th Apr 11, 10:07 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    DaisyMoo
    • 29th Apr 11, 10:07 AM
    • 29th Apr 11, 10:07 AM
    I had mine at a vintage shop that also runs jewellery making and dress making classes. We had a treasure hunt around the shop and made fascinators that a lot of us wore to the wedding. We drank champagne and ate tiny sandwiches and cupcakes. It was an absolute blast. Everyone joined in; there was something for everyone to enjoy and nobody felt uncomfortable as there was none of the 'normal' hen do stuff, i.e willy straws etc!
    Originally posted by Rubynewshoes
    Ruby, that sound fab, where is this vintage shop? would love to do something like this x
  • melancholly
    • 29th Apr 11, 1:02 PM
    • 29th Apr 11, 1:02 PM
    a friend organised a life drawing class! strippers were banned so this was a compromise. also quite funny by all accounts and gives everyone an activity to do (which can be helpful if not everyone knows each other!).
  • NiceGuyEddie
    • 29th Apr 11, 2:13 PM
    • 29th Apr 11, 2:13 PM
    If you do fancy something like a spa day, you may be able to find a local beauty therapist who will do 'at home' sessions. So you could pick a treatment each and then easily have other DIY treatments. The Sanctuary range from Boots has particularly good range for this.
    Despite the name, I'm actually a laydee!
  • Rubynewshoes
    • 30th Apr 11, 11:48 AM
    • 30th Apr 11, 11:48 AM
    Ruby, that sound fab, where is this vintage shop? would love to do something like this x
    Originally posted by DaisyMoo

It was Rags to !!!!!es in Manchester. It's right in the centre of town so if you're not local to the area, you could maybe stay in a cheap hotel and make a weekend of it.

http://www.world-of-ragsto!!!!!es.co.uk/
  • Rubynewshoes
    Argh, sorry, link hasn't worked! If you want the link, PM me or just search Rags to !!!!!es in manchester on google or something and you'll find their site.
  • melancholly
    just tried to find the shop as i'll be in manchester in the summer - with the .co.uk end it took me to some IT services website?! so with .com it worked.

let's see if adding the link to a word works instead - link to shop ETA - won't work that way either!

(although their website also works from www.rags-to-b i t c h e s.com/ just without the spaces!)
    • DaisyMoo
    • By DaisyMoo 2nd May 11, 6:41 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    DaisyMoo
    Found it - Thanks guys xx
    • amyloofoo
    • By amyloofoo 12th Jul 12, 6:30 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    amyloofoo
    I hired a bellydance teacher who got us all dressed up and putting on a performance! I've never laughed so much at seeing my Nana in a spangly bra trying to circle her hips
  • PoppyGirl
    I am doing a vintage tea party for my friend, I have borred lots of mis matched china etc. and tablecloths. I'm going to do small flower arrangements in jam jars. It's amazing what things I've found round my own house I can use. I'm going to make sandwitches and cakes and perhaps some cocktails in tea pots!

You can find lots of hen party games online which don't require much planning or cost anything to do.

You could do a 'pot luck supper' type party at home, where everyone brings a dish and a copy of the recipie. These could then be made into a cook book to be given to the bride to be as a memory of the hen party, and a start to married life!
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 12th Jul 12, 1:21 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    I think cupcake decorating parties are becoming popular for Hen parties.
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
    • ALittleInLove
    • By ALittleInLove 12th Jul 12, 2:35 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    ALittleInLove
    For her Hen party my cousin had a few close friends round and they made beautiful cupcakes which then became the wedding cake the next day. They were all displayed on a beautiful stand and there were specially decorated ones for the bride and groom with their photographs on that rice paper stuff.
    • mrsjanebanbury2009
    • By mrsjanebanbury2009 12th Jul 12, 2:50 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    mrsjanebanbury2009
    Google "danzeattack" - these are hen parties where you learn a dance routine. Full disclosure - I do know the guy who runs it (though not very well) and I haven't been to one personally, but I do know people who go to his dance classes and absolutely love him and the way he teaches dance.
  • tescobabe69
    Hire some dancers , or do it yourself, I imagine it might go down better on a stag do though.
    http://www.hell.tv/t/videos/4743/scary-brazilian-crotch-dance.html
  • Victoria73
    I Had the same problem, Heres some hen party ideas i reasearched from Funktion Events ; Perfume Making, SMS Treasure Hunt, Dance Party Ideas, Cocktail Making, Naked Male Life Drawing, Song Recording Studios, Karaoke Booths, Roller Disco, Fish Pedicure and if your thinking about going to Nottingham, i find this tourist information page with loads of ideas and video's!

"visit-nottingham.org" Under leisure breaks!

Hope this gives you some ideas!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 31st Jul 12, 12:43 PM
    • 13,037 Posts
    • 11,104 Thanks
    paddyrg
    I know this thread is a massive necro, but in Bath there are a couple of places ideal for hen parties - one where you do a chocolate-making course/demo at a high-class chocolatier, or another place where you make/sew something as a gang, maybe DIY knickers or garters or cushions, etc. There are several spas of course as well...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,848Posts Today

5,179Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin