Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • boots_ranger
    • 11th Oct 06, 1:40 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 1:40 PM
    First thing might be an Eid card, you can get them in Clinton's from what I remember and we bought some in Morrisons the other day.

Another thing might be a hamper or something like that with a few biscuits, cakes, sweets etc (Just make sure the ingredients don't contain Gelatine).

Hope this helps.
  • Anastacia
    • 11th Oct 06, 1:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 1:58 PM
    I buy a tray of arabic sweets from the asian supermarket, they are like little kunafis & so on with pastry & nuts. Plus a little gift for the kids like colours, paint by numbers etc.

Hope this helps

Anastacia
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
    • fruitcake
    • By fruitcake 11th Oct 06, 3:12 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    fruitcake
    • 11th Oct 06, 3:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 3:12 PM
    Traditionally, Eid gifts used to be in the form of money...for children....back in the day when there was pound notes!! Sweets, chocolates and the like are great, just be aware that the ingredients don't include "animal fats" or "gelatine" as Muslims don't consume cow's or pig's fat...infact no animal derivatives unless it's "halal".

Should be okay as long as you steer clear of anything containing jelly (wine gums etc)

A home made Eid Card would be fab too!
  • lightisfading
    • 11th Oct 06, 7:20 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 7:20 PM
    Being vegetarian, i know that gelatin is in far more than just 'jelly' products (recently; yoghurt, chocolate, mints and god knows what else) . Check all labels carefully!
    Total start debt £6826 (June 2013)
    Current (20/08/13) £5677 - 16.8% paid off!
    Debt free date: May 2015!

• Revenge of the Red Devil
    • 11th Oct 06, 7:52 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 7:52 PM
    No - veggie gillaten is allowed, animal gilletin is not allowed in Islam. I think jelly is alright though?
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 11th Oct 06, 8:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 8:41 PM
    It's hard to get jelly that doesn't contain animal derived gelatine. Morrisons do a trifle, but it has cream on it, so not sure if that would be any good. (It's veggie but I don't know about being halal.)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 11th Oct 06, 8:56 PM
    • 14,974 Posts
    • 22,644 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 11th Oct 06, 8:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 8:56 PM
    I will ask one of the girls at work tomorrow who is muslim if she can give me some ideas for you all
    DFW Nerd #025
  • Sarahsaver
    • 11th Oct 06, 10:13 PM
    • 11th Oct 06, 10:13 PM
    I know all about the gelatine thing, I think I might make a cake which went down well on a previous occasion (xmas!)
    Spose I could make a hamper, I fancy making some jam...
    Last edited by Sarahsaver; 11-10-2006 at 10:15 PM.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • MrsMondragon
    • By MrsMondragon 11th Oct 06, 11:20 PM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    MrsMondragon
    As well as gelatine you need to avoid the food colours E120 and E124, which are both derived from crushed beetles. Also you need to make sure the product you are buying does not contain alcohol . Another one to avoid is E471 (mono and di-glycerides of fatty acids), unless it also says suitable for vegetarians.
    • mouk
    • By mouk 11th Oct 06, 11:24 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    mouk
    some E471 are ok(if the package displays suitable for veg then this should be fine)
    • plzhelpmesave!
    • By plzhelpmesave! 11th Oct 06, 11:30 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    plzhelpmesave!
    as a muslim myself, just wanted to say how sweet you are to be going to so much trouble to find an appropriate gift for Eid.

I honestly think a simple card and your warm wishes would make a fantastic present on their own, it's lovely when non-muslims get involved in Eid & Ramadan!

having said that, everyone loves home-made cakes & biccies! i was just trying to think of some of the pressies i've had for eid, and its the normal smellies, choccies etc, so anything home-made would be lovely.

Hope this helps!
    • mouk
    • By mouk 11th Oct 06, 11:34 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    mouk
    as a muslim myself there seems to be good non-muslims out there who look after and help one another.
    with most of the media nowadays focused on muslims/islam this thread sure does bring out the true nature of the ppl...

well done!!!
  • Justie
    http://www.zalatimo.com/ make the most divine sweets (not cheap but any excuse to buy them is good and they're big tins). There are plenty of recipes online for sweets too and they're fun to make (if a little sticky) the smell of rosewater in the kitchen is lovely.
  • Tran
    I think homemade cakes/biscuits/sweets as long as they haven't got animal products or alcohol in are a lovely idea.
    • Ally
    • By Ally 12th Oct 06, 1:37 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Ally
    One word .... Ambala You can't beat good old tradition

ummmmm yummy

Edit: http://www.ambalafoods.com/ Now, off to find me local branch!!!
    Last edited by Ally; 12-10-2006 at 1:39 PM.
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!

• Snaggles
    This is a bit soppy but I actually feel really proud that a thread like this can exist here. It just goes to show that there is some hope for us all! Eid mubarak to all (I really hope that's right - please correct me if not - it's what my son put on his Eid card that he made at school!)
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."

• Princessa
    When is Eid? Some of the sweets on the sites look lovely!
    • Ally
    • By Ally 12th Oct 06, 3:50 PM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,442 Thanks
    Ally
    Depends ... have been told it'll fall between 22nd and 24th .....:confused:
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!

• Justie
    One word .... Ambala You can't beat good old tradition

ummmmm yummy

Edit: http://www.ambalafoods.com/ Now, off to find me local branch!!!
    by Ally
    there goes the diet....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

822Posts Today

6,905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin