Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 9th Feb 05, 1:57 PM
    • 5,482Posts
    • 3,081Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Milton Sterilising fluid
    • 9th Feb 05, 1:57 PM
    Milton Sterilising fluid 9th Feb 05 at 1:57 PM
    You don't need a baby in the house to use Milton's sterilising fluid!

I use it for everything in place of regular anti-bacterial products and it saves a fortune as it's only £1.88 for 1250ml bottle at Tesco and will last me a month a more ... soaking dish cloths, pet dishes,wiping all kitchen/bathroom surfaces etc

It's effective against E.coli, Listeria, Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, Rotavirus and Candida Albicans and much safer to use than bleach as it's non-toxic!

You can even add it (following directions on bottle) to water to make it safe for drinking
Page 2
    • betony
    • By betony 26th Jul 13, 4:10 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    betony
    Uses of sterilising solution - thread revival
    I thought I'd revive this thread as I've just bought 4 packs of 64 tablets of Superdrug's own brand sterlising solution for 14p each - couldn't resist the bargain

Now, I used to use this stuff ages ago for making sure my kitchen surfaces were properly clean when I had 2 cats that had the run of the flat while I was at work. But what other uses are there for it, other than those listed already? I'm sure many people use it without giving a second thought to it being a multi-purpose product, as well as economical and useful.

Let us hear your thoughts.
    "I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it" Mae West

"Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life"
    • Own My Own
    • By Own My Own 26th Jul 13, 4:17 PM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 46,016 Thanks
    Own My Own
    I put one tablet down our toilet once a week. Always comes up sparkling clean. Even the bends that are hard to reach with the brush.
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you
    Originally posted by Nanamia
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 26th Jul 13, 4:44 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    Milton
    I use Milton to get the green algae which builds up out of guinea pigs' water bottles. I have also used it in the past to get mildew out of a bathroom blind and to get sun cream stains off a white top. All by just soaking for a bit in a Milton solution. I love the smell of Milton .

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling
    • HeadAboveWater
    • By HeadAboveWater 26th Jul 13, 4:49 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 9,344 Thanks
    HeadAboveWater
    I put one tablet down our toilet once a week. Always comes up sparkling clean. Even the bends that are hard to reach with the brush.
    Originally posted by Own My Own
    Thanks for that!

Good thread! Just got the Boots brand tablets the other day for something else, and was wondering what else I could use them for.
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
    • pinkmami
    • By pinkmami 26th Jul 13, 5:04 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 2,623 Thanks
    pinkmami
    Thanks for reviving this. I've never used Milton before - though mum did (before the days of electrical baby sterilisation!!)

Might buy a bottle now instead of anti-bac spray for the kitchen.
  • Josslette
    I use Milton to get the green algae which builds up out of guinea pigs' water bottles. I have also used it in the past to get mildew out of a bathroom blind and to get sun cream stains off a white top. All by just soaking for a bit in a Milton solution. I love the smell of Milton .

Guineapigsqueaks x
    Originally posted by Guineapigsqueaks

Thanks for that tip our guineas water bottle has been looking a bit grotty for a while even after scrubbing with a bottle brush.

We use Milton at work for sterilising the dish clothes, but we also use it to soak the white chopping boards after they have been used, due to tomatoes and peppers leaving such bad red/orange stains!
    September Grocery Challenge £0/£225
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 26th Jul 13, 5:40 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 9,812 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I buy second hand toys for my son. I use it to soak them in (providing they are all plastic) if not I just wipe with a cloth that has been soaked in it . All lego/playmobil gets soaked before giving to him.

I have also used them for soaking tea stains off teaspoons, getting rid of burnt on food from saucepans.

I don't buy milton, I always get the shops own brand.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 26th Jul 13, 5:58 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    I am a bit confused. What is the advantage of using Milton instead of cheap bleach?
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 26th Jul 13, 6:20 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 9,812 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I am a bit confused. What is the advantage of using Milton instead of cheap bleach?
    Originally posted by honeythewitch
    56 tablets from tesco are 73p they last me ages.
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 27th Jul 13, 1:54 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 2,350 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    Milton safer and gentler than bleach
    Originally posted by honeythewitch
    To quote from Milton website regarding difference between Milton and bleach:

"Bleach is an irritant and can burn the skin and corrode materials. Swallowing bleach can seriously harm human health and absolutely cannot be used to sterilise baby’s bottles or accessories.

Milton is non-corrosive and doesn’t cause irritation. It does not burn the skin, and can be used as an antiseptic in certain dilutions.

The Milton Method can also be used to treat water to make it safe to drink".

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling
  • Mailedfist
    Went looking for it yesterday and neither the bottles nor the tablets give any instructions for using it to make water safe.
    There's a warning on the bottle saying it's highly dangerous and should not be ingested.

Does anyone know?
    Originally posted by Sylvan
    So how can you use Milton to make suspect water safe to drink, but you couldn't use bleach?
    Originally posted by MrsE
    The reason bleach is a bad idea for drinking water is all the other stuff, especially detergents that are added to bleach. Milton on the other hand contains only sodium hypochlorite and sodium chloride in solution, as such it is not too bad to ingest. See what if baby swallows some on their FAQs milton-tm. com/en/consumer/faqs

Furthermore a large number of water purification tablets in fact contain sodium hypochlorite as the active ingredient, yes the same stuff as in Milton...
  • mafield
    I use sterilising fluid diluted in a watering can to keep algae off the decking of a holiday home. Also good for paving slab stains. Used regularly keeps them looking new.
    Careful on coloured paving, do not use too strong a solution, as you could bleach out some colour.
    • Horace
    • By Horace 20th Oct 14, 9:16 PM
    • 14,121 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    I also use sterilising fluid (not Milton as it is too expensive), I either buy Wilkos own brand but that has changed and is now a bit pricey (it used to be about 79p) but I am going to get a litre bottle of the stuff from Harrisons (a local pound type shop near me) and they sell it for £1 (in a large blue bottle). I tend to use it for sterilising and cleaning my dish cloth (this cuts down on waste as I have a re-usable one and when it gets to the point where I can no longer sterilise it then I ditch it).
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310
    • raven83
    • By raven83 20th Oct 14, 9:41 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 6,233 Thanks
    raven83
    A lady not long ago told me that she in fact douches with Milton! Never tried it myself.
    Raven.

• danih
    • By danih 20th Oct 14, 11:34 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    danih
    EEEUUUUWWWWWW thats not good for your body!. plenty of clean warm water very regularly and a teeny bit of soap is more then enough for down there. Douching with Milton is bound to cause problems!

My legs staying crossed for a long while
    got married 3rd May 2013
    • bebedoggie
    • By bebedoggie 30th Jan 16, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bebedoggie
    I hate to disappoint everyone, but Tesco's no longer sell the 1000ml bottles only the 500ml ones. l have been using this for the last 40 odd years, a really useful product for all the things you've all been discussing and more. The large bottle was only a few pence more than the smaller one so was a really good buy, now l'm damned if l'll pay nearly as much for half the quantity. Can't find anywhere else that sells the larger bottle though, l wonder why! Please let me know if any of you know of anywhere that does.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 30th Jan 16, 2:22 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Asda shows online as selling the 1 litre bottle. If you check other supermarkets which are close to you online, you'll be able to see what's available. Have you tried using own brand tablets instead of fluid as they work out cheaper than the fluid.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 30th Jan 16, 10:02 PM
    • 23,095 Posts
    • 60,823 Thanks
    meritaten
    I always have some in for making sure jars for my jam etc are properly sterilised. useful for getting bloodstains out too. otherwise I am of the school of thought 'a peck of dirt never hurt nobody'. I think you can be 'too clean'.
    • mikedej
    • By mikedej 21st Jul 16, 12:53 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mikedej
    Does anybody know if Milton solution is any good (ie not poisonous) for cleaning dentures?
    • Haffiana
    • By Haffiana 21st Jul 16, 6:10 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    Haffiana
    Milton would not be poisonous, but it isn't actually a cleaning product. You would need to clean the dentures first, and then use the Milton to either disinfect or (if you use it the way it is meant to be used on babies bottles) sterilise them.

In short, it will kill germs, but it won't clean a dirty item!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

4,242Users online

Martin's Twitter