Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 5
  • billywhiz
    unlocking failure, Help please
    I bought the dongle, downloaded the software, put the dongle in USB, installed the drivers, ran the unlocker program.
    It came up with the 'Download' button, OK, started and after a few minutes it said 'download failed' Try again'. Looked in the log file and at the end of a hundred or so lines it says:
    2009.6.16 13:23:45¡ª¡ªNV backup success!
    2009.6.16 13:23:45¡ª¡ªswitch to DownLoad mode...
    2009.6.16 13:23:53¡ª¡ªDownload armprg.bin...
    2009.6.16 13:24:0¡ª¡ªskip to armprg.bin...
    2009.6.16 13:24:24¡ª¡ªskip fail!

Clicked OK and now it just sits there saying 'Waiting'.
    So,...... any ideas what to do / where to go?
    How long do I give it, can I unplug it and start again?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Brian
    • comdw
    • By comdw 16th Jun 09, 10:13 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    comdw
    Telstra connection manager won't run
    Someone mentioned that when you run the unlocker you lose the original (3Connect) software that was included on the dongle. What wasn't mentioned is that this also means you lose the drivers (don't believe they are on the dongle at all after the re-flash). If you want to install the dongle on another PC you need to get hold of the 3Connect software or some standalone drivers (someone already posted a link to the former which should have that).

Now my question: the Telstra connection manager will not run on my PC - I get access violation exceptions when I try to run it. Are there any alternative 3G connection managers out there that will work. I can still connect to 3's network using standard windows dial-up connection dialling *99***1#, but I've no idea how I can set the apn and other settings from here??
    • alanwsg
    • By alanwsg 17th Jun 09, 7:50 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    alanwsg
    What wasn't mentioned is that this also means you lose the drivers (don't believe they are on the dongle at all after the re-flash). If you want to install the dongle on another PC you need to get hold of the 3Connect software or some standalone drivers
    Originally posted by comdw
    That's not true. I unlocked the dongle as described here and then tried it on another laptop (Running XP/SP3) for the first time. It installed all it's drivers as normal.
    What it did not do is install a connection manager: you need the telstra one out of the unlock .rar file (Or some other one you may have).
    • comdw
    • By comdw 17th Jun 09, 1:40 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    comdw
    That's not true. I unlocked the dongle as described here and then tried it on another laptop (Running XP/SP3) for the first time. It installed all it's drivers as normal.
    What it did not do is install a connection manager: you need the telstra one out of the unlock .rar file (Or some other one you may have).
    Originally posted by alanwsg
    Thats strange because I'm pretty sure there are no drivers on the dongle itself once you have flashed it. Are you sure it showed up as a modem before you ran the 3Connect installer (assuming you were using that)?

Or it could be that the re-flashed version of the dongle is recognised by XP SP3 and the drivers are already part of windows, but this certainly wasn't the case on my EEEPC.

By the way I found out a way of setting APN and other settings manually on the modem if you don't want to/can't use the Connection Manager. Its a bit fiddly mind:
    http://www.infoferenda.eu/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=view&id=87&cat id=1&Itemid=7
    • alanwsg
    • By alanwsg 17th Jun 09, 1:52 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    alanwsg
    I don't think the 3Connect installer was involved.
    I just plugged in the unlocked dongle and XP did all the "bing-bong-new h/w found-bong-bing-blah-blah-installing-blah-your new h/w is ready to use" stuff.
    Then I installed the Telstra thingy, setup the parameters inside that and it worked.
    • comdw
    • By comdw 17th Jun 09, 2:17 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    comdw
    I don't think the 3Connect installer was involved.
    I just plugged in the unlocked dongle and XP did all the "bing-bong-new h/w found-bong-bing-blah-blah-installing-blah-your new h/w is ready to use" stuff.
    Then I installed the Telstra thingy, setup the parameters inside that and it worked.
    Originally posted by alanwsg
    Must have just been that the drivers available in your windows version. In mine it pops up with the "found new hardware" wizard which can't find the drivers.
  • caz567
    Problem using 02 PAYG SIM on dongle
    I've been using the free 3 dongle both on 3 sim (when available) and my T-mobile phone sim when I've not been able to get on 3 for the past few weeks.

My iPhone 02 PAYG sim has now arrived, I rang up the 0845 number and put £10 credit on it, and within 24 hours I should be able to use the credit for 12 months... but 24 hours has passed and I can't connect.

When the dongle is inserted I can see that it can pick up GPRS as the graph is showing on three bars, it also recognises that it's an O2 sim on the Telstra manager. However when I try to connect it just shows "connecting" for a long time and eventually times out and says "The remote computer did not respond. For further assistance, click More info or search Help and Support Center for this error number". If anyone knows what I need to do to get this working I'll be really grateful. I've tried changing the APN and deleting and adding usernames and IP addresses, but nothing works :-(

The other strange thing is that I've had a text delivered to the sim but I can't retrieve it!

Any help gratefully received!
    Thanks
    Carol
    • d123
    • By d123 22nd Jun 09, 9:06 PM
    • 6,021 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    d123

My iPhone 02 PAYG sim has now arrived, I rang up the 0845 number and put £10 credit on it, and within 24 hours I should be able to use the credit for 12 months... but 24 hours has passed and I can't connect.

The other strange thing is that I've had a text delivered to the sim but I can't retrieve it!

Any help gratefully received!
    Thanks
    Carol
    Originally posted by caz567
    You will get a text from o2 when the web/wifi bolt on is activated. I think mine took a little longer than 24 hours to activate.

The sim is supposed to be used in an iPhone and so you will probably need to put the sim into a phone to get the text messages.
    Dave
    ====
  • caz567
    You will get a text from o2 when the web/wifi bolt on is activated. I think mine took a little longer than 24 hours to activate.

The sim is supposed to be used in an iPhone and so you will probably need to put the sim into a phone to get the text messages.
    Originally posted by d123
    Thanks for your reply. Soon after I posted I realised I could retrieve my texts from o2 by clicking on the SMS icon when the dongle wasn't trying to connect (as soon as I tried to connect the icon was greyed out)

Once I got into the SMS, I found that I had actually received about 6 texts from o2! One of them confirmed that the web/wifi bolt on was activated. So I don't think that that's the problem.

It would be really useful to know all the settings that you used, if you don't want to post them on here, could you PM me?

Many thanks
    Carol
    • d123
    • By d123 25th Jun 09, 9:40 PM
    • 6,021 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    d123
    I sent you a PM, but the details are pretty easy
    APN is "payandgo.o2.co.uk"
    User is "payandgo"
    password is "password"

Tested and working in my ZTE dongle with the Turbo Connection Manager.
    Dave
    ====
  • Hustle
    The 50p a day, £2.50 per week, £5 per month is 'fair use', and so limited in terms of bandwidth, and is not avaliable with the sim that came with the modem.

If anyone wants to know what fair use is, its could be around 2 to 5 Gb a month, or much much less. How longs a piece of string.

Just don't register a credit card. This would automatically allow them to bill you if you start to exceed the arbitrary 'fair use' limit.

The only way to get the above is to buy a topup in a shop, put the simcard in a compatible phone (my voda n96 was unlocked) and topup, once it has been confirmed as on the account, plug the sim back into the dongle and then select 'add addon' in my3.

3 know I use a dongle (through account settings), I'm currently paying £5 pcm, and on my £5 deliv free dongle now

It is recommended you search ebay for the sims which let you do the £5 per month deal, no guarantee of any sim that can't be checked allowing this. At least the ebay sellers can check it for you.

BTW
    If you add credit to your account, there is no time delay to use it. If you need internet for a day, just choose the 50p option, and it would charge it to the credit you topped up on your phone. Then what is left over is saved till the next time you need access. So if you need it for 2 days a year, it would cost £1, but you still paid for your topup, so the whole £10 or so is sitting in 3's current account earning them money, but it wont disappear (My My3 account shows my credit has unlimited validity).

Nothing is guaranteed anyway, but even less if 3 get bought (which might actually be amazingly likely shortly, and probably by T-Mobile).

Linux just requires the right drivers, search google for something like 'linux 3g modem'.
    Originally posted by Swindon_Baggie
    do you really think three will be sold off shortly?, are they in debt or something?
  • sinbads
    Thinking about getting one of these 3 free jobbies, running vista so would like to know whether its best to use the OP software for unlocking or the paid for one.

Don't really want to end up with a plumbob
  • pb643
    Heeelp!! Any techies out there?
    Sorry that my first post is asking for help, rather than providing usefull information as so many of you do.

I have attempted to unlock my 3 dongle as described in this thread, all has gone well, the software worked correctly and I removed the three connection manager and installed the new one.

I pug in the dongle and the connection manager fires up, the blue light is on constantly and everything seems great. Along the tool bar it shows a UMTS network, the device is online and the U(SIM) is ready. I can send and recieve SMS and check the account balance etc. BUT I cant go online, there is a gray box syaing "please wait....initilializing", this never dissappears and in the bottom left it says "state disconnected", whilst on the tool bar the data icon says not connected.

I have tried two sims, the original 3 sim and an Iphone o2 sim PAYG with credit on it, I have tried variations on the settings in this thread and on other sites and I never get beyond please wait!!

I have rerun the unlock software and reinstalled the telstra connection manager.

If there is anyone out there who can help, I would be very happy to listen.

Thanks

A very frustrated Phil
    Last edited by pb643; 01-07-2009 at 6:53 PM. Reason: slip of the finger
  • caz567

I pug in the dongle and the connection manager fires up, the blue light is on constantly and everything seems great. Along the tool bar it shows a UMTS network, the device is online and the U(SIM) is ready. I can send and recieve SMS and check the account balance etc. BUT I cant go online, there is a gray box syaing "please wait....initilializing", this never dissappears and in the bottom left it says "state disconnected", whilst on the tool bar the data icon says not connected.

I have tried two sims, the original 3 sim and an Iphone o2 sim PAYG with credit on it, I have tried variations on the settings in this thread and on other sites and I never get beyond please wait!!
    Originally posted by pb643
    Have you made sure you've changed the connection settings? You can set up a setting for each of the SIMs that you have. I'm currently using an O2 iphone sim and mine works fine (it didn't to start with though as I had the wrong settings in). The settings you need for this sim are as follows:

Dial number: *99***1#
    Leave everything else as it is.

Make sure you then "Set Default" so that it uses the right setting.

Hope this helps.
    Carol
    • aerostar
    • By aerostar 2nd Jul 09, 11:16 AM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    aerostar
    Thinking about getting one of these 3 free jobbies, running vista so would like to know whether its best to use the OP software for unlocking or the paid for one.

Don't really want to end up with a plumbob
    Originally posted by sinbads

The paid for one is exactly the same as the free version you can download as stated in the thread.

The dongle as it comes with original firmware works on Vista.

However, it does say that unlocking should be done on an XP machine, not vista.
  • sinbads
    The paid for one is exactly the same as the free version you can download as stated in the thread.

The dongle as it comes with original firmware works on Vista.

However, it does say that unlocking should be done on an XP machine, not vista.
    Originally posted by aerostar
    Thanks for your response

Still somewhat confused, The paid for version say's it will work with xp and vista ?

If as you say its basically a clone, why in the readme doe's it say
    If You Run Vista Do Not Try It, Only XP
    maybe someone who has used the free unlocker on vista can advise

Regards
    • steveclecy
    • By steveclecy 3rd Jul 09, 7:36 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    steveclecy
    Thank you - it works!
    Thanks to those who have given advice about this. From the OP, I "bought" the 3 dongle, downloaded the free software, flashed it (using Windows 7 RC as the operating system), and now have an unlocked dongle. I have also bought an O2 iPhone sim card off eBay, at first put off by the "connect iPhone to iTunes on your computer to activate" warning (bunkum - fit it in any unlocked or O2 phone, give it time to send SMS messages to you, then top up with credit). I now have £10 credit on the original 3 sim card, and the O2 sim card. Having tried both, it must be said that the 3 sim card (purpose-designed for mobile broadband) is fast compared with the O2 sim card, but I am not confident about coverage. Patience certainly is a virtue with the O2 sim card, but considering that I will only be using it when away from home on holiday, perhaps I will learn to be more patient. Once again, thank to all who have helped.
  • bugs_whats_up_doc
    I got my dongle and the software but i`m having problems unlocking it, when I run the flashupdate software, it just seems to sit there it says Port: COM1, No Phone, the it says Waiting, and under that it says 0/100. I have tried several XP machines with no luck, at the moment its sat on a windows 2000 machine and has been since 8.30 this morning, and its now 12 and its still at the same point. At first I thought I was being impatient but, it just doesn't seem to be doing anything, the software hasn't crashed either.

Has anyone else had these problems, I am using it on a PC attached to my works network which uses a proxy to access the net, could this be the cause?

Thanx
    • kar999
    • By kar999 21st Jul 09, 8:52 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    kar999
    I think my colleague had a similar problem. I beleive it hadn't installed the drivers correctly. I think he took the dongle out and it had found the hardware the first time, rebooted and then put it back in after the drivers had loaded. The flash software then worked.

If it doesn't start to do anything more or less straaight away then it isnt working. It still takes 20 minutes or so to process to completion though.

Sorry if this is a bit vague. It was about 2 months ago.
  • caz567
    I've been using my unlocked dongle with an O2 iPhone SIM merrily for over a month now. I tried to connect yesterday evening and this morning and it now won't work... it connects but then immediately disconnects and a pop up error message appears. I've checked the settings and they are all fine. The only thing I can think of is that O2 have caught up with me and have stopped my SIM from working.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Carol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,684Posts Today

8,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @jaihy: @MartinSLewis thank you! Like so many, I hadn't claimed ppi. During the last series I filled in the form...£2,700 cheque in the?

• Check if you're owed, totally free tool to help here... https://t.co/2Oto4B86tq https://t.co/vOpsYU6b3g

• Today's twitter poll: If they made a rule to standardise chips in the UK - which of these four (I only get 4 options) would u want it to be?

• Follow Martin