Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs
    • 16th May 08, 2:42 PM
    Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs 16th May 08 at 2:42 PM
    24 Sept 2008

What's the deal?

If you've old CDs you want rid of, but you don't want to give them away, and you can't bear the rigmarole of listing them all on eBay or the like, there's a new trading site which makes it easier.

Music Magpie cuts down the time it takes to sell your CDs by recognising the case barcodes. You just grab a pile of CDs (minimum 5 per transaction) you want to sell, type all their barcodes in to the system, and the site recognises them and gives you an instant offer price.

It's not perfect though; the system wouldn't recognise all the barcodes I tried (especially when the CD was from another country), and sometimes it'll tell you 'we aren't currently buying this CD', presumably when it already has a backlog of copies to shift.

How does it compare?

Generally, you can expect to receive less than you might from eBay/Cash Converters/Cex, and if you've got any rare releases to sell on this isn't the place to do it. Yet if you've shelves full of dusty old 'classic' CDs, this is a great way to clear them out and earn quick cash.

Most CDs go for less than a pound (usually 60-70p), though some double albums, and especially compilations (for some curious reason) can run to £2.50.

I've got an offer. Now what?

If you accept an offer, fill in your details and you'll be sent some postage-paid envelopes to send stuff back in. Once they've received them, you'll be paid. Thus the whole process costs you nothing (though it can take a little while).

Anything else?

The site's also worth a look if you're in the market to buy CDs, as it sells those it receives off pretty cheaply.

Music Magpie has a sister company, Game Magpie, which (unsurprisingly) trades computer games. It works in exactly the same way, but so far doesn't seem to have much stock. If you've tried it, do please let us know how it went.

Huge thanks to betterlatethannever for originally posting this below!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 24-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Page 3
    • truereddevil
    • By truereddevil 23rd Sep 08, 4:56 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    truereddevil
    this is a very interesting piece of information for me because a few months ago a supplier of mine was trying to get me to buy cds off him hes got over 25 thousand of them and he said if i bought in bulk from him he would sell me them at 20p per cd so will seriously look into this thanks for the information as soon as somebody receives there first cheque please post on here and if you can do the same with games or books or anybody comes across a site that does this please post thankyou
  • NickiM
    Has anyone got any payment from this site?

Currently have 14 CDs for £15.15

• NickiM
    On their site, it says:

When will I get my money?
    - We shall dispatch payment within 3 days of delivery of the CDs to musicmagpie, by cheque. Please bear in mind that we use a FREEPOST service which is not a priority service, and can take between 5 – 10 working days to be delivered to us.

• NickiM
    Hmm, I just logged on and found a CD in my basket which I had definitely not added. (I'd not even browsed other CDs).

All the same, an extra £20 sounds good, just waiting for people to have received money.

• ZootHornRollo
    • By ZootHornRollo 23rd Sep 08, 7:37 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    ZootHornRollo
    some very poor sums of money offered.

and look at the mark up they sell them on for.

does that not suggest there is a market willing to pay a lot more for them?

i personally could never sell my cd collection. i have all my CD's saved to a hard drive in FLAC lossless format, also have these backed up on DVDs but you never know when you may need the originals again!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • lauzjp
    Hmm, I just logged on and found a CD in my basket which I had definitely not added. (I'd not even browsed other CDs).
    Originally posted by NickiM
    I was browsing their games site and ended up with an extra one in the basket!? weird. I didn't chance buying anything off there in the end!
  • MarkR
    Update from my previous post, All the CDs i sent are now showing as accepted on site; so looking promising.

I think the prices they offer are fair, ok very low.... BUT wouldnt get a lot more at a carboot (when eventualy sell) if put on ebay have all the fees to deal with, if do nothing they will continue to take space up doing nothing gathering dust. Game i bought was probabley somebody elses clutter gathering dust, and lad had loads a fun from it already ( any alleged dust was removed before we recieved it! )
    Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
  • dymps
    I used them in June (had a big clearout). My email questions were dealt with very promptly (at one point I was exchanging 'real time' emails with someone in customer services), but it did take some time to get the cheques. I think this may depend on the number of CDs in the transaction, as they test them all before accepting.

Yes, the money they offer isn't great, but you can upload the details whilst watching tv (no chilly car boot sale for me!), and they supply the packaging (Jiffy bags) with prepaid postage (so much easier than selling on ebay).
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 24th Sep 08, 8:37 AM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    It doesn't want any of mine or can't find them - they're all artists everyone would have heard of but obviously no-one wants!
  • ideasfarm
    Be careful ...
    I would warn everyone that this is an unsustainable business model. Most common CDs are available for 1p from Amazon, which has incredible marketing power when compared with Music Magpie.

They will very quickly get up to their threshold stock levels, and will need to turn over sales in order to pay for the product they have 'bought'. I don't see this company lasting long.

If you own CD's, it's best to believe they have little or no value unless they are early, rare or limited in some way that makes them sought-after. Sad but true.

Matty
  • nataliej
    I saw this tip in the weekly email and as I'm currently selling my entire CD collection via Amazon I thought I'd check it out. This was mainly to see if I could get any money for the more common CDs I have left that have low second hand prices, but also to compare prices of the ones I've already sold.

Well, I think Amazon was the right decision for me. Out of a quick sample of 15 or so discs, Music Magpie would only offer to buy one, offering £3.

For me, Amazon has proved to be a real winner. Last Sunday I went through my entire collection of 200 CDs and listed about 130 of them where the used value was at least £1. The process was simple: use this screen to search, check the barcodes match, type in the condition and then pick your price. Each time I undercut the cheapest used price by 5-10p. It took about 2 hours to process my whole collection. Within hours I'd already sold about a dozen, and 10 days later I've now sold 80.

After fees and postage costs I calculate that I've made about £140 in total - which works out on average at about £2 per CD. Certainly a little bit more effort that Music Magpie, but definitely less than eBay and worth it if your collection is large.
  • NickiM
    In the end I sold mine to the Music Magpie people. Mainly because I had had the opposite experience, on Amazon or Play, they've been listed for months and nobody has bought them. In addition, I had to not list many because if they did sell, it would barely cover postage costs.

• jellybabe
    I have the same problem. I usually take the front cover and cd out of the case, and then stick them in my cdwallet. Where can I go to find the barcodes? I have only put 5cd's and they offering me £4.27 which is not bad at all. I dont listen to them anymore and also usually just give my oldies to charity shops.
    • koru
    • By koru 24th Sep 08, 10:27 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    koru
    Please check the real value of your CDs before accepting their offer. I have a CD by the Lilac Time which is rare as a first edition and is worth about £20. Music Magpie offered me £1.63!

I find it only recognises about 20% of my CDs. This might be because I bought a lot of my CDs when I lived overseas and have bought many recently from CD Wow or Bang CD, who obtain the CDs wherever in the world they are cheapest. Perhaps Music Magpie only recognises UK bar codes.
    koru
  • timwb
    A Legal issue
    Hi Folks

Sorry to put a dampner on things but several people mentioned having the music on thier pc's and just wanted rid of the discs, which is fair enough, a large collection can fill a lot of shelf space. However if you sell a CD you no longer have the "right" to own a copy of the content. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a technicality that sprung to mind. OK so I know you're very unlikely to have the cops knocking on your door and the record companies have had your money already...but technically you should delete/dispose of any copies you made when you sell the CD.
    • DSmiffy
    • By DSmiffy 24th Sep 08, 12:27 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    DSmiffy
    Hi Folks

Sorry to put a dampner on things but several people mentioned having the music on thier pc's and just wanted rid of the discs, which is fair enough, a large collection can fill a lot of shelf space. However if you sell a CD you no longer have the "right" to own a copy of the content. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a technicality that sprung to mind. OK so I know you're very unlikely to have the cops knocking on your door and the record companies have had your money already...but technically you should delete/dispose of any copies you made when you sell the CD.
    Originally posted by timwb

Oh no !!! Your not going to dob us in are you ??

Anyone found one for books yet? Incidentally, what's the legal stance on books re copyright? You don't have to delete it from your brain if you've already read it do you Just kidding. Tee hee !!
    Last edited by DSmiffy; 24-09-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    • jumbojuice
    • By jumbojuice 24th Sep 08, 1:08 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    jumbojuice
    Just sold £45 worth of stuff to tradeyourstuff.co.uk - will be sending this out today, asked one of the people to ring me as wasnt sure whether to send this such a large amount out and spoke to a really nice girl who gave me a discount code to use too in order to get more money for my games! Nice pleasant surprise, will keep you updated as to when i get my money.

For some reason they dont sell wii stuff yet which is surprising though!
    Originally posted by jumbojuice

Just had it confirmed as tested and im asking for paypal payment for this one - just need the money and dont want to wait for a cheque or bank transfer!

The site says 24 hours for payment, will keep you updated..

now rooting around for other games im done with or will never play!

does anyone know of anyone who buys dvds?
    • shambolics
    • By shambolics 24th Sep 08, 2:28 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    shambolics
    I too have found Amazon great if you know how to go about it. You would be surprised what you can sell on there CD wise!
  • NickiM
    I've found Amazon great for books but not for CDs. But that's just my experience.

• ozpools
    Hi all, newbie alert !!
    Just stumbled across this via Martin's email and find it very interesting - I typed in a dozen barcodes from CDs I found in a box in the loft and they all got accepted - prices offered ranged from 30p-£3 (The £3 was for a CD from a band called 'After All' who I've never even heard of - dunno where that CD came from !)
    Could be a good way of shifting 'dead' CDs that won't sell on Ebay. Also it might be a useful tool to give you an idea of what other people might be willing to pay for a CD - if Magpie are offering you £3 for it they obviously think it could sell for a lot more than the average, so you could sell it on Amazon or Ebay for a higher fixed/start price. You could type a big pile of CDs into Magpie, print out the results and keep it with your box of CDs for reference... And keep a safe copy as an inventory should (as happened to a friend of mine) your entire CD collection get stolen).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

296Posts Today

2,559Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin