Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs
    • 16th May 08, 2:42 PM
    Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs 16th May 08 at 2:42 PM
    24 Sept 2008

What's the deal?

If you've old CDs you want rid of, but you don't want to give them away, and you can't bear the rigmarole of listing them all on eBay or the like, there's a new trading site which makes it easier.

Music Magpie cuts down the time it takes to sell your CDs by recognising the case barcodes. You just grab a pile of CDs (minimum 5 per transaction) you want to sell, type all their barcodes in to the system, and the site recognises them and gives you an instant offer price.

It's not perfect though; the system wouldn't recognise all the barcodes I tried (especially when the CD was from another country), and sometimes it'll tell you 'we aren't currently buying this CD', presumably when it already has a backlog of copies to shift.

How does it compare?

Generally, you can expect to receive less than you might from eBay/Cash Converters/Cex, and if you've got any rare releases to sell on this isn't the place to do it. Yet if you've shelves full of dusty old 'classic' CDs, this is a great way to clear them out and earn quick cash.

Most CDs go for less than a pound (usually 60-70p), though some double albums, and especially compilations (for some curious reason) can run to £2.50.

I've got an offer. Now what?

If you accept an offer, fill in your details and you'll be sent some postage-paid envelopes to send stuff back in. Once they've received them, you'll be paid. Thus the whole process costs you nothing (though it can take a little while).

Anything else?

The site's also worth a look if you're in the market to buy CDs, as it sells those it receives off pretty cheaply.

Music Magpie has a sister company, Game Magpie, which (unsurprisingly) trades computer games. It works in exactly the same way, but so far doesn't seem to have much stock. If you've tried it, do please let us know how it went.

Huge thanks to betterlatethannever for originally posting this below!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 24-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Page 2
  • MarkR
    On the confirmation email for CD's selling noticed they have another site for Games www.gamemagpie.co.uk Am going to wait and see what happens with the music CDs first; if that all goes Ok will have a games clear out too... Theres some wouldnt mind buying on there too.
    I think its a great idea and I hope they do well. Way of getting rid of clutter thats not being used with some income from it. Plus pretty reasonable prices on some of the games, so stuff will be used .
    Has anyone tried buying a game from them? Just added one to basket, and trying to checkout but it takes me round in circles.
    Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 7th Sep 08, 7:21 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 53,606 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    Why on earth are people selling their cds for such a small amount when they obviously cost a lot more when new.

Originally posted by GaryS
    You don't buy CDs and expect them to increase in price.:confused:
    Most CDs you can't give away so a site like this is useful for those (like me) that find Ebay or amazon confusing and too much hassle.

I usually give me old Cds to charity shops so get nothing back. I'd much rather have a few quid in my pocket.

at Max Bygraves CD
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
  • moneysavingmumofone
    Thanks for this post, ive just sold about 10 ps2 games for £16.22. All going for peanuts on ebay so thought id save myself the hassle!
  • bonsibabe
    Hi Lawrence.

Sounds interesting. We have loads of CDs that we have saved on the computer and no longer need the actual discs hanging round.

Do you know of a website where you can sell cd's if you don't have the barcodes?
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 - 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 15th Sep 08, 7:13 PM
    • 11,396 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Thanks for this, Lawrence...Can't say how good it is as I have never used it before but I am going to look at the site now.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 15th Sep 08, 7:32 PM
    • 11,396 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I liked the look of it and have put some stuff to sell there as I'm really skint and chasing a winter coat...people don't seem to be buying many CDs from me on Play at the moment (books are booming though!)
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • vicallen2004
    I used the service last week and found it really good. I sold 11 cds in total and got just over 7 pounds which doesn't sound a lot but they were really old and had literally been sat on the shelf for about 7 years gathering dust. The free post bags arrived two days later and I sent them back straight away. I am now waiting for my cheque.

I would recommend the site if you need to get rid of rubbish cds that no one will want to buy or you don't have the time to sell on ebay, play, amazon etc.
  • jewel1985
    Thanks for this. I've been affered £25 for 45 CDs, and some are really old! Is there anything like this for books or DVDs?
    • rachelja
    • By rachelja 17th Sep 08, 7:31 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    rachelja
    Has anyone received a cheque / payment yet pls?
    Newbie blogger
    • jumbojuice
    • By jumbojuice 19th Sep 08, 10:09 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    jumbojuice
    this is great for selling my cds - i found that putting them on ebay as there were so many other similar cds, mine never sold -

as for games, ive looked at some of their prices and to be honest, they dont like to pay too much out for these! might be better off ebaying them tbh..

however there are a couple of other options that ill put on the table

www.cex.co.uk (great if theres a store nearby, ive heard some not so great stories about online)

www.tradeyourstuff.co.uk (who i sold my xbox console and 20 games to for cash (significantly more than i would have got on ebay once fees had been taken off) - im going to do a quick comparison of them to gamemagpie but i think they are much better in terms of what they give for your games...
  • Snowdrop
    this is great for selling my cds - i found that putting them on ebay as there were so many other similar cds, mine never sold -

as for games, ive looked at some of their prices and to be honest, they dont like to pay too much out for these! might be better off ebaying them tbh..

however there are a couple of other options that ill put on the table

www.cex.co.uk (great if theres a store nearby, ive heard some not so great stories about online)

www.tradeyourstuff.co.uk (who i sold my xbox console and 20 games to for cash (significantly more than i would have got on ebay once fees had been taken off) - im going to do a quick comparison of them to gamemagpie but i think they are much better in terms of what they give for your games...
    Originally posted by jumbojuice

Yay! Easy £20!

I'm still on the look out for DVD & Book versions of these, so if anybody finds them can your post the sites please.

xxx
  • Caseyface
    Brilliant idea, i have just gone through a collection this morning and got £22.

They did offer me 25p for a Girls Aloud Album though hahaha!

I thought it's also useful to point out, i tried a couple of singles and got some money for them aswell!
  • A fiend for life
    Has anyone tried the free advertising newspapers to see what they get first? Especially by selling them by genre, artist or job lot if they are too much of a mixed bag.

Anyone tried shop doors or supermarket boards? University boards?

These cut out the middle man though might be slower selling.
    • jap200
    • By jap200 22nd Sep 08, 12:36 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    jap200
    Not terribly impressed so far. I tried a random handful of CDs - about 10 - from my collection. For about 8 of them the bar code was either not recognised or a message came up saying "we are not currently buying this title at the moment". I was offered 50p for one disc (Alanis Morisset) and £3 for an EMI classical double-disc (Mozart) that I don't really want to sell.

Having browsed through the titles available to buy, it seems like there is a lot of classical music, so maybe if you have plenty of that to sell it would be worth your while.

I'm not sure that it is worth the time it takes to sit and go through a large pile of CDs to make such a few pounds - although that does of course depend on whether you are more short of time or money!
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 22nd Sep 08, 1:18 PM
    • 4,686 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    I was offered 50p for one disc (Alanis Morisset) and £3 for an EMI classical double-disc (Mozart) that I don't really want to sell.

I'm not sure that it is worth the time it takes to sit and go through a large pile of CDs to make such a few pounds - although that does of course depend on whether you are more short of time or money!
    Originally posted by jap200
    Ebay'ing cds doesn't usually earn anything decent either, unless you have a special or limited edition - especially after listing fees, FVFs, Paypal, postage etc etc
    • jumbojuice
    • By jumbojuice 22nd Sep 08, 3:14 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    jumbojuice
    Just sold £45 worth of stuff to tradeyourstuff.co.uk - will be sending this out today, asked one of the people to ring me as wasnt sure whether to send this such a large amount out and spoke to a really nice girl who gave me a discount code to use too in order to get more money for my games! Nice pleasant surprise, will keep you updated as to when i get my money.

For some reason they dont sell wii stuff yet which is surprising though!
    • jumbojuice
    • By jumbojuice 22nd Sep 08, 3:15 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    jumbojuice
    wondering whether i could put this code up for everyone else to use?? or should i ask for permission to do so?
  • Gramisaur
    I feel dumb but I'm having problems wit hthis
    Won't let me log in or save the CDs when I type in their barcodes.
    I have tonnes to get rid of and it seems to be accepting them all for quite a reasonable price but I just can't log in or anything. :S
    I'm definately verified cos I have the e-mail and I have enabled cookies too so I'm stumped.
  • MarkR
    Will echo rachelja's Question....

"Has anyone received a cheque / payment yet pls"

I sent a load of discs off a week ago last friday after reading Betterlatethannever's post for this deal a few weeks ago and is still showing in my acount as "pending". Ok its not too long yet, but thought could of at least of changed to "received" by now.
    I have another lot of discs i would of liked to sell too, but will wait till recieve money for 1st lot.

So has anybody been payed yet? and how long did it take.

I did also order a game from the sister site they have and that arrived realy quickly, son is well pleased with it.
    Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
  • lauzjp
    I feel dumb but I'm having problems wit hthis
    Won't let me log in or save the CDs when I type in their barcodes.
    I have tonnes to get rid of and it seems to be accepting them all for quite a reasonable price but I just can't log in or anything. :S
    I'm definately verified cos I have the e-mail and I have enabled cookies too so I'm stumped.
    Originally posted by Gramisaur
    I was on the website yesterday evening, and when you go to log in - it does seem like it hasn't done anything, but I was actually logged in? Why don't you give them a call or an email and let them talk you through?

I checked the prices of a few cd's on ebay, and none of them had any bids on!? too much hassle. musicmagpie looks great for impatient skint people like me! Our local cex just isn't an option - the queues can be horrific in there, I've heard a few people swear as they get to the front to find they're not buying right now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,324Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin