Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Oct 05, 10:56 AM
    • 8,104Posts
    • 42,234Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Great Grants Hunt
    • 17th Oct 05, 10:56 AM
    Great Grants Hunt 17th Oct 05 at 10:56 AM
    This discussion has been updated with the full

Thousands of pounds worth of grants go unclaimed each year and they're available for all sorts of wierd and wonderful projects - from energy savings to studying. I'd like to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge to find the best ones.

What else can you find a grant for and what's the best way to get it?
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 10-11-2009 at 9:33 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 2
  • tamzin3132
    http://www.est.org.uk/myhome/gid/index.cfm?sec=1

Thats the link you need
  • grandpher
    grants
    I am a teacher and would love to make the children/school more environmentally friendly but it is really expensive. Are there any grants available to put in hand dryers, solar panels etc
    many thanks
    by wannabe
    I would just like to say that my husband and myself have just installed a solar system. Its similar to the panels but its based on tubes instead and extremely efficient. We found that a lot of organisations that were offering grants had extremely high purchase prices i.e 5k upwards so the grants available really didn't eat into their profit margin too much! We found a company in Wales that were seriously cheaper. Please check them out. Our complete system (not the basic model) cost us £1100. www.navitron.org.uk
    Hopefully it'll save other folks wadges of hard earned dosh!
  • somefriendlyuk
    central heating costs
    hi - not a grant but i have yet to find someone cheaper that mrcentralheating.co.uk for the supply of central heating -rads boiler etc. Spent about £800-00 for an new condensing combi boiler (you have to have these installed now) and 6 rads -all the temperature controlled valves and all the copper piping-delivered to your door.

Its a start if you cant get a grant-got a heating engineer & paid £1200 to install all and other stuff.

My heating engineer said he would have charged about £3500-00 if he supplied -says he can't touch the prices at the plumbers mercants
    This was in gateshead by the way.

Hope this helped
  • dawsonio
    I used to work for www.eaga.co.uk, they manage several govermant schemes for insulating, central heating etc eg Warmfront etc

Check there site for details
  • djglich
    LPG conversion grants
    Thousands of pounds worth of grants go unclaimed each year and they're available for all sorts of wierd and wonderful projects - from energy savings to studying. I'd like to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge to find the best ones.

by MSE Martin
    I just went to see about getting a grant to convert my frontera sport 4x4 to LPG and it said that the government are no longer giving grants for this.

Just thought i would let you know to save you all a bit of money saving time!

If im wrong please correct me and also let me know where to get the grant from.

Thanks everyone!

Steve
    --x--
  • Geoffrey Coan
    Info on this link about funding for adapting your car to an alternative fuel or with help in purchasing a new car which runs on clean fuel.

http://www.womens-institute.co.uk/publiceye/9090.shtml
    by Smiley_Mum
    Unfortunately the Powershift grants have now closed - see Are LPG grants still available ?

I was thinking of converting my car to LPG. Will cost about £2000 including VAT and it'll payoff in about a year and a half BUT I need to find the £2000 first and LPG cars are still 'unusual' so tradein values are about £1000 less

Ho Hum

Geoffrey
    I'd be happier on holiday in Brittany than being at work !
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 26th Oct 05, 10:40 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    charlieheard
    Unfortunately the Powershift grants have now closed - see Are LPG grants still available ?

I was thinking of converting my car to LPG. Will cost about £2000 including VAT and it'll payoff in about a year and a half BUT I need to find the £2000 first and LPG cars are still 'unusual' so tradein values are about £1000 less

Ho Hum

Geoffrey
    by Geoffrey Coan
    Also remember that the government is reviewing the duty on LPG, and so prices are not guaranteed to stay this low.

I wouldn't like to be in the position of having converted the car and then the price doubles and the payback time doubles...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
    • meadowcat
    • By meadowcat 27th Oct 05, 2:15 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    meadowcat
    The Swift turbine is the size of a dustbin lid, and can be fitted like a satelite dish[/QUOTE]

Ummmm.... 2.1 metres diameter. That's a very big dustbin lid.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 31st Oct 05, 10:30 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    NPower have this link on their site

http://www.npower.com/Health_Through_Warmth/Getting_help.html

There are freephone numbers to get help re funding for energy efficiency improvements, winter fuel payments, (although not a freephone number) and help on using energy efficiently etc. Should be able to get info on silver savers section of site re the winter fuel payments etc.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 31st Oct 05, 10:46 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    Information on funding for choirs, orchestras and amateur music groups throughout the UK.

http://www.makingmusic.org.uk/MM/home.aspx
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 31st Oct 05, 10:55 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    Information funding/grants etc for studying abroad, not for undergraduates though and for improving modern languages. Worth a look if you are serious about studying abroad and are not at undergraduate level, have to be under 30 but over 30s can apply but there are conditions etc that must be met.

http://www.leverhulme.org.uk/grants_awards/
  • Golfpro

Ho Hum

Geoffrey
    by Geoffrey Coan
    I know you cannot get LPG grants anymore but
    Firstly- you need to check out the prices you got quoted for putting lpg on your motor.
    Second- rethink the prices you`ve been quoted for tradin in on future residual values after LPG install.

I have dabbled in cars for many years holding trade accounts and buying and selling for my busness and hobby. I can tell you that on certain cars the LPG ad`s tremendous value to a vehicle. example the Range rover 4.0 and 4.6 petrol with LPG has similar values to a diesel alternitive. I have sold many an LPG on Ebay for way over the value of a normal petrol engine. Things that scare dealers especially franchised, are that they cannot sell them for fear of a gas leak explosion etc etc
    If you have got an LPG certificate and a proper install with certs you will get more for most cars on the market, the bigger the engin the better the value on vehicle. i.e. if you got a Gas guzzler jeep,landcruiser, range rover or big engine saloon you will make that car more desireable and its residualvalue will raise for private sale or through most auctions.

On the price of install I had a quote for installing LPG of £950 from Auto gas worldwide on a range rover single point injection. That was trade but it was only £1200 normal price. Autogas are the one who brought in the certifactes of acrredited fitters that insurance comps accept and train mostly now alll or most of fitters in country.
    hope this helps
  • billie19
    There is information on this link about funding that may be available, given certain conditions, being over 60, disabled, or on certain benefits etc. Money available for improvements or adaptations to your house if you have difficulty getting around or using the bathroom etc. Info on the site re where to ask about these grants and what conditions apply etc.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeople/HomeAndHousingOptions/YourHome/YourHomeArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4000642&chk=sI4nRl

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_housing/documents/page/odpm_house_602543-01.hcsp
    by Smiley_Mum
    When my DH cam out of hospital we were assessd for this - for help with a shower/wet room to be adapted downstairs.
    (He's severely disabled)
    Because we both work and don't claim any benefits - apart from DLA.
    We were told to fund the first £14K.
    (Although it would of been cheaper for him to give up work and then claim benefits so the work done on a grant)
    Ended up having his work colleauge doing a sponsored bike ride to raise enough money for him to be able to have a wet room built.

Billie
    • Anastasia
    • By Anastasia 27th May 06, 9:25 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Anastasia
    Grant for study
    I know someone who received a grant from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation for studying because he wanted to change career to be a counsellor. This was several years ago and was specifically for people changing career. The website has details of how to apply for funding.

http://www.jrf.org.uk/
  • sheena4711
    Rural Home Ownership Grants
    I received the above to purchase my house which was on the market for £60k. I received a grant totalling £32K to enable me to buy the house (£20k grant/£40k mortgage) and to make alterations recommended by the structural surveyor (the remaining £12k). Without this grant i would have been unable to put my foot on the property ladder. It's available in rural areas of Scotland and it's for people on modest incomes who without it would be unable to purchase/build a house. The downside for those who are buying a house is that it takes forever and vendors could pull out anytime because of the wait, i was lucky as i was renting the house from friends.
    • Nickynoo1
    • By Nickynoo1 12th Apr 07, 6:49 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Nickynoo1
    Decent homes grants
    The above is available to people in the private sector (home owners) who meet certain criteria. Basically low income with kids helps, disabled and over 60's, but worth double checking exactly who qualifies. It is given by most Local Authorities to help with structural repairs, guttering, double glazing etc. A surveyor will check what needs doing on your property, and issue a schedule of works. He will arrange a builder, or choose your own, to carryout the works. You need to pay 20% of the costs, but you can have an interst free loan for 5 years. Definately worth looking into.

Nickynoo1
    16/06/16 total 11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
  • oojakapipi
    It would take months to go through this one but there is something there for everyone.

http://www.funderfinder.org.uk/links_trusts.php
  • tracey_m
    warmfront
    hi, not sure what i'm doing really- joined today so sorry if i mess up......
    erm, there is a warm front grant.
    this is a government thing, and i got it. You have to be living in your own home or renting and be claiming benefits such as tax credits and council tax benefit.
    The grant is worth £2,600, you can have wall insulation/ loft insulation or central heating put in under the grant. We had this put in this year and i am so glad i got it. It used to be so cold in my house and the electric and gas cost a fortune, but since we had the heating put in we have saved a fortune!!!
    It took us about 2 months from applying for it to actually having it put in.
    If you have a flat, youj can get 4 radiators, and 5 in a 3 bed house.
    Sorry don't know much else about it, but it is well worth a try.
  • alexlexus
    Help! Housing advice wanted

Originally posted by MSE Martin
    a month ago I saw a link how to get additional help for housing - I think it was called Disaplinary ( it was like this ) but I can't find it now
    Can anyone help?
    Thankyou
    • cabbage
    • By cabbage 14th Nov 07, 8:23 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    cabbage
    Housing Benefits
    Hi

Was it by any chance Discretionary Housing Payments? Form should be available from your Local Authority. Used mostly when your housing benefit doesn't cover the whole of your rent. Can be a one off payment or regular sums.

Can't be used for paying off rent arrears or council tax arrears. But you can apply to cover your rent and council tax bill. there are other restrictions - its best to ask your Local Authority what they are.

They are discretionary so not automatic
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,625Posts Today

9,202Users online

Martin's Twitter