Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 20th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 243Posts
    • 866Thanks
    smeeinnit
    2 month old bank account, suspicious transaction already.....
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    2 month old bank account, suspicious transaction already..... 20th Mar 17 at 4:06 PM

Hi all

I have recently switched one of my bank accounts from M&S to Nationwide. Today I have found a transaction for £135 that I did not make (its been reported and card stopped).

Never having been a member of Nationwide before I was quite impressed with the account security. I have not used the debit card often, so I am really puzzled how this could have happened.

I have only used an ATM once, 6 weeks ago, and its not one I have heard has had cloning devices found.

I've used contactless a couple of times and a couple of instore and online purchases from previously used retailers. I am careful with my data and cards, so I am struggling to work this out.

Anyone else had issues with account security with Nationwide? Or have I just been lucky till now and this is normal life?
    Last edited by smeeinnit; 20-03-2017 at 4:07 PM. Reason: grammar
    Let's get ready to bumble!
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 8,600 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    It could have happened with any card provider.

The type of transaction and retailer for the £135 would intrigue me.
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 20th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    H Peaceful

Looks to me like a web purchase, from Asda Home Delivery. I have not bought anything from Asda for years. I checked the account I have with Asda and no recent orders are there, so I have ruled out sleep shopping
    • badger09
    • By badger09 20th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 5,173 Posts
    • 4,372 Thanks
    badger09
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    Could anyone else have access to your Nationwide account or card?
    • alanq
    • By alanq 20th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    alanq
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    ASDA Home Deliveries, unlike some online retailers, does not store the CVV of a card. That has to be entered every time one places an order. This information would not have been collected during an ATM / Chip & Pin / contactless transaction.

That means someone has got the information from the physical card or from when you provided it for other online transactions.
    Last edited by alanq; 20-03-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 20th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    ASDA Home Deliveries, unlike some online retailers, does not store the CVV of a card. That has to be entered every time one places an order. This information would not have been collected during an ATM / Chip & Pin / contactless transaction.

That means someone has got the information from the physical card or from when you provided it for other online transactions.
    Originally posted by alanq
    Hmm makes me think the card has been cloned, nobody else has access to this card, and my Asda online account has not been used.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 20th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,760 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    ... its not one I have heard has had cloning devices found.
    Originally posted by smeeinnit
    How many particular ATM have you heard of?
    I have not heard of any, and most skimming devices get removed by the fraudsters before being found.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 20th Mar 17, 9:49 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:49 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 9:49 PM
    Hmm makes me think the card has been cloned, nobody else has access to this card, and my Asda online account has not been used.
    But, as was stated earlier, Asda require the CVV. This would have to be physically seen and remembered, it wouldn't be collected by a skim.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Mar 17, 5:07 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 8,600 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 21st Mar 17, 5:07 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 5:07 AM
    Look close to home.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 21st Mar 17, 6:20 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Do you regularly run something like Malwarebytes to check your computer for key-logger software?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Mar 17, 8:21 AM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Do you regularly run something like Malwarebytes to check your computer for key-logger software?
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    It's worth doing this anyway, but unless the OP has actually bought something online using the card and has entered the CVV then it won't be the culprit in this instance.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 21st Mar 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    Robin9
    This does not sound like a fraud - if it was I would have expected to see one of two nominal transactions to prove the card then a flurry of big spends.

OP - what does the detail of the transaction actually say ?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 8,600 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    This does not sound like a fraud - if it was I would have expected to see one of two nominal transactions to prove the card then a flurry of big spends.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    It's a fraud. The OP hasn't authorised that transaction and somebody else has.
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 21st Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    It's a fraud. The OP hasn't authorised that transaction and somebody else has.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

OP - what does the detail of the transaction actually say ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Its definitely fraud, I didn't buy anything from Asda. I may have been lucky and spotted it in time before there was a flurry of purchases. All the transaction says is Asda Home Delivery.

Just seems very strange that this has happened on such a new account with not much use. I do regularly use Malware Bytes to clean my PC. I did pick up a threat a few weeks ago but of course cannot be 100% sure this is the cause.
    • le loup
    • By le loup 21st Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3,586 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    le loup
    Asda home deliver should be simple for someone to investigate. Unless the beans arrived and they immediately moved home!
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 22nd Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    soulsaver
    ...... siminnit?

There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 24th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Any progress smeeinnit?

Just seems very strange that this has happened on such a new account with not much use. I do regularly use Malware Bytes to clean my PC. I did pick up a threat a few weeks ago but of course cannot be 100% sure this is the cause.
    The timing there is interesting. Could the malicious software have been present when you typed in your new account's card details on the PC? The malwarebyte log might tell you what the threat was.
    • Sheep
    • By Sheep 24th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Sheep
    Flurry of big spending does not happen. As soon as it does this then flags up and your card will not work until you call the bank. They then send you out a new card and the fraudster is back to squar one.

Anything that is out of character will cause a block on the account.
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 6th Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hi all

I did get to the bottom of this, it seems the supplier of flowers to Debenhams whom I bought a bouquet online from, were hacked, Debenhams did write and tell me but I had already found out via the web anyway.

Nonetheless I am glad the source was found, set my mind at rest.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments and sorry for the late reply x
    Last edited by smeeinnit; 06-08-2017 at 8:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

6,681Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin