Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 25th Jul 16, 7:16 PM
    • 10,568Posts
    • 68,976Thanks
    Bobarella
    Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)
    • 25th Jul 16, 7:16 PM
    Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas) 25th Jul 16 at 7:16 PM
    A New Hope is a very fitting title for my first ever DFW diary. For the first time in around 18 months I really have hope. I am one of those people who has always seen September as the start of the year. Because of back to school I suppose. And this year is the first September I can honestly say I am 100% looking forward to in years.

My situation is complicated but to simplify, I took the enormous step to not only become self employed but to sell my family home to finance my new business in 2011. I turned my back on a very well paid career to go out on my own.
    In that period I have had many challenges. Gone to hell and back owing wages and HMRC. Dont worry the wages were paid back long ago as quickly as I could. And I repaid HMRC.
    The stress of being responsible for other peoples lives is intense if you've never been there. At my lowest point I deactivated my voicemail to avoid the energy company being able to contact me.

At one point I owed around £40,000 all business related. Primarily on a loan, but some CC.

Time and again I bashed my head against my mental bars and wondered if I could physically carry on. But I did. Through hell and high waters. Quite literally in fact....

This last year has not been easy. I worked as the sole employee of my business during my entire pregnancy with DD and went into labour whilst still at work. When my baby was 4 months old I got seriously ill and spent a week in hospital. My lovely FIL was diognosed with the big C 2 months ago. And life has wobbled along precariously as always.

The reason for my new hope is I finally made a big decision. To stop the business I am running & build another. It wont be easy but it will get me out of the hole I am in & allow me to take on paid employment around the new business. I have 4 days left of my old situation and then good night vienna!

I love MSE. It and the people of it have been such a comfort. And now I am hoping to use this diary as a place for me to record my baby steps towards a life less stressful, adrenaline filled & chaotic.

Bob
    Last edited by Bobarella; 25-07-2016 at 7:34 PM.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Page 71
    • greent
    • By greent 20th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 59,956 Thanks
    greent
    If I go on a venue's fbook page I'm notified as to how many of my friends have checked in there - I have then used this occasionally to ask those friends their opinion of said venue.

I also like reviews on fbook pages - I'm a big fan of checking out what others say about somewhere/ someone's service
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 10/2017 items
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good morning All

Time to get back on the daily updates properly. It's a bit of a funny day as my son hurt himself yesterday so he's off. Nothing serious but it needs to be rested. I was planning to shop today but we will have to style it out till OH gets home tonight. I was doing use it up fridge dives two days ago so todays menu will be interesting

Wealth

* Had an excellent week on the food shopping front, only spending £59.68 compared to £70 on a normal week. This was due to bringing home a lot of useful food from an event, which had been costed within the event budget so basically fed us with fresh food supplements, for a week. A couple of things we did that seem to work for us, home made soup made on the days OH works from home, then having that for dinner one night too so saving a 'proper' meal being bought. We also had pancakes for breakfast one morning which saved bread being bought quite so quickly. There's an interesting thread in OS on all of this. What we class as a meal these days is much fancier than it used to be. A meal can be a boiled egg and toast. Applying this frugal mindset to your meal plan can shave ££s. Definitely something I'm considering.

* We are now 1 week from payday. I transferred the first amount of money out of my business account to us today (officially) £100. I did transfer £50 last week but that was to pay us back for some items I'd bought on our account. I'm hoping that £100 will last us now for food/travel till next Monday. I will need to transfer £93 on Friday as well because our gas/elec bill is due. But that means our household finances will have held up all month barring that tiny contribution. I used to have to pay £500 a month over to us or things didn't balance. So I think this is a sign that our discretionary spending is almost zero these days. And because OH works from home so much these days we are saving a lot of money there. Plus me doing better on grocery spends. All this is a good thing to know, as if I have to find another job, I think I'd struggle NOT to earn that much even doing a few shifts on a check out.

* We have managed to save all of the £100 switching bonus and £140 council tax free month. So that is sitting ready for debt repayment or emergency bill paying.

* Today should be a NSD as I'd guess we aren't going out anywhere. We did go in the garden earlier despite the rain as I found DD with her head sticking out of the cat flap looking longingly at the garden toys, so after a mexican standoff regarding her putting her coat on, out we went.

* I will save money today on not travelling to and from school too.

* Yesterday we went to the venue, OH and I and he did the measurements needed for our rate appeal. I have now sent off the sketched floor plan they asked for and supporting photos. We had until the end of March to get that done so now we just wait....

* Am carrying on with pushing as hard as I can on marketing, and it's been amazing having so much support here with suggestions. Thanks again.

Health

* Other than DS small injury we are all ok. I'm so glad I'm not doing late lock ups much this week. Only one late.

Organisation

* I tidied up the contacts on my outlook this morning. Which was mega dull. But when I had my phone stolen late last year, and lost all my contacts, outlook had a very out of date copy that it backed up to my phone. You can't delete the contacts locally, so I'd been meaning to find the time for ages. It feels nice not to have contacts like a plasterer I used 10 years ago cluttering up my phone now when I scroll through. A digital detox if you will.

* Have checked banking on both sides. All as expected. Updated cash flow forecast.

* I need to sort out security on my new business account. I have been very slow on moving things there especially considering it will save me money.

Anyway, think that's all for today. Have a good one all.

Bob

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    If I go on a venue's fbook page I'm notified as to how many of my friends have checked in there - I have then used this occasionally to ask those friends their opinion of said venue.

I also like reviews on fbook pages - I'm a big fan of checking out what others say about somewhere/ someone's service
    Originally posted by greent
    Ah that is interesting Greent I do get a lot of person to person recommendation for the place, particularly with the children's party aspect. Sometimes you can end up getting three new bookings from one parties guest list. So maybe I do need to give the check in more thought and encouragement....

I do have quite a few recommendations now, running at 4.9 rating wise currently. I do ask people but some say yes and forget.

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 20th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 18,111 Thanks
    sashybo
    We did go in the garden earlier despite the rain as I found DD with her head sticking out of the cat flap looking longingly at the garden toys, so after a mexican standoff regarding her putting her coat on, out we went.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    at DD sticking her head out of the cat flap.

Glad your DS is ok & you've managed to get a lot done.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £8316 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £42,676.99
    Loans 1 & 2 £5597.93, Car loans £25,514.25
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 20th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 15,272 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Phew busy day for you Bob! Hope DS is ok.

Yay to the savings on the grocery spends. I am trying so hard with my grocery spends but it just seems to fall down around week 3!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 20th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    at DD sticking her head out of the cat flap.

Glad your DS is ok & you've managed to get a lot done.
    Originally posted by sashybo
    My husband's first question was ' did you get a picture'

Phew busy day for you Bob! Hope DS is ok.

Yay to the savings on the grocery spends. I am trying so hard with my grocery spends but it just seems to fall down around week 3!!! xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Thanks, he still seems very drained, bit concerning. We'll see what the morning brings.

What is it about week 3 do you think?

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 20th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 11,628 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Evening Bob hope DS is on the mend. One thing that a local business did when I used them was she asked if I would go on her 'mailing list' with a genuine promise not to bombard me. She emails probably every 2 months with some updates/ effectively advertising something new but in a nice way. Perhaps you could do the same and then e mail every 6 months to jog their memories. Just a thought.

Happy days on saving the CT and switching bonus.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 20th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 15,068 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Lol@dd with the cat flap, at least she didn't get wet lol

Glad DS is feeling better, albeit on the tired side, it's floored him poor love, I've bought DD multivitamins to help build her system up. I used to buy them every year for both kids, as DD was very poorly as a baby but they've not needed them for the past couple of years.

I sympathise about the grocery budget, that's my aim once we've moved to sort out.

Hope things are picking up work wise? Xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7650.00 Cap 1: £400.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

Lunches to work 7/20 ~ £10pw 3/4

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 21st Mar 17, 4:47 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Hope DS is perkier this morning Bob.

I agree about fancy meals - we tend to have at least 2-3 meals a week now of egg on toast with a portion of peas or spinach, or soup and bread, or beans on toast. Neither DH or I do a really physical job (and could both stand to lose a couple of lb) and we just don't need the calories of a huge dinner every night. I like knowing that the two older DCs have had a half decent lunch at school 5 days a week, and we tend to do these smaller dinners on school evenings (particularly busy ones, with Cubs or swimming).
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 21-03-2017 at 4:50 AM.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £55,820.43/1st March 2025
    • chanie
    • By chanie 21st Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    chanie

Originally posted by mummytogirls

We also found weeks 3-4 difficult in terms of shopping. We tended to do a bigger shop around pay day to stock up. We'd buy a few treats, toiletries and plan nice meals. By the time week 3-4 came around, we'd run out of meal ideas, fed up of shopping so this is when we are more likely to make bad choices. I guess, our approach to shopping was rather 'feast and famine', so by week 3-4 we'd run out of ideas for nice meals, eaten all of the treats etc. I know people rave about meal planning, but I find planning for the month works better than weekly for us.

We now start the month by stocking up on items from Costco. We buy rice, pasta, laundry detergent etc in bulk. It works really well as it means that we always have enough food to knock up a decent meal for when we haven't had time to stock up.

We also plan a couple of nice meals to have throughout the month so we have something nice to look forward to. We also spread out the treats so we aren't buying them all at the beginning of the month.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £538.25
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hello All

Sorry not to reply to all the fab chat above, I will, just sitting down quickly before the school run. And actually am out of time!

A last minute reviewing request dropped into my inbox this morning so that threw me right out. I needed to do the shopping as we were totally out of food. So did the view then galloped home did the shopping, rang to sort security on my new account, meal planned for this week, and answered a few messages and now if I leave I will just about be on time!

Back later

Bob

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Evening Bob hope DS is on the mend. One thing that a local business did when I used them was she asked if I would go on her 'mailing list' with a genuine promise not to bombard me. She emails probably every 2 months with some updates/ effectively advertising something new but in a nice way. Perhaps you could do the same and then e mail every 6 months to jog their memories. Just a thought.

Happy days on saving the CT and switching bonus.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Thank you PF I am not entirely sure about mailing lists. They have quite a lot of work required to keep clean and functional. I figure at least with fb you can unlike the page yourself if you no longer want to be part of the brand you are interacting with. But always good to have suggestions.

Lol@dd with the cat flap, at least she didn't get wet lol

Glad DS is feeling better, albeit on the tired side, it's floored him poor love, I've bought DD multivitamins to help build her system up. I used to buy them every year for both kids, as DD was very poorly as a baby but they've not needed them for the past couple of years.

I sympathise about the grocery budget, that's my aim once we've moved to sort out.

Hope things are picking up work wise? Xx
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Thanks PM02 I might look into multivitamins.

Hope DS is perkier this morning Bob.

I agree about fancy meals - we tend to have at least 2-3 meals a week now of egg on toast with a portion of peas or spinach, or soup and bread, or beans on toast. Neither DH or I do a really physical job (and could both stand to lose a couple of lb) and we just don't need the calories of a huge dinner every night. I like knowing that the two older DCs have had a half decent lunch at school 5 days a week, and we tend to do these smaller dinners on school evenings (particularly busy ones, with Cubs or swimming).
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Interesting TOP my DS also has a school lunch but seems to be starving every night still. We can but try and cut back

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    We also found weeks 3-4 difficult in terms of shopping. We tended to do a bigger shop around pay day to stock up. We'd buy a few treats, toiletries and plan nice meals. By the time week 3-4 came around, we'd run out of meal ideas, fed up of shopping so this is when we are more likely to make bad choices. I guess, our approach to shopping was rather 'feast and famine', so by week 3-4 we'd run out of ideas for nice meals, eaten all of the treats etc. I know people rave about meal planning, but I find planning for the month works better than weekly for us.

We now start the month by stocking up on items from Costco. We buy rice, pasta, laundry detergent etc in bulk. It works really well as it means that we always have enough food to knock up a decent meal for when we haven't had time to stock up.

We also plan a couple of nice meals to have throughout the month so we have something nice to look forward to. We also spread out the treats so we aren't buying them all at the beginning of the month.
    Originally posted by chanie

I think that's such a good point. I know if there are no snacks in the house I get the ' there's no food' moans from certain people

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 22nd Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Morning All

Well its a grey wet cold morning here. Have about an hour till I need to walk over to the accountants and sign off my accounts for last year. And then pay BBB gulp. I pretty much have it, so that's good

I spent another hour last night, (in between knocking up a rather nice pork curry) joining as many fb groups as I could find that looked half way relevant. I posted in 5 of them last night. Some administrators are slower than others to approve new posters. I have then this morning gone back to look for any relevant posts, but no luck yet.

I also answered an ad on a local forum last night, that might lead to a small bit of work at the end of April.

Things are looking decidedly slow for the month ahead still. Haven't heard back from the ratings people since I sent my updated information in on Monday either.

Our gas and electric bill went out today,which is the last bill of the month. And as a small positive, that will be a lot lower next month as we have now turned the heating off. Not such a comforting thought on a day like this, but good in the long term.

Right well, plenty of food for the rest of the week, bills paid for us at least, and just got to keep plodding along and pushing along on the business side.

Have a good Wednesday all.

Bob

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 22nd Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Well. Today was fine. Till I got to the school gate and heard what had happened. The poor lady who told me has a close relative in the armed police and hadn't been able to get hold of them at that point. She was in bits. I was so glad my husband had worked from home today. Scary times. Hugs to anyone who has been affected.

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 27,367 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I know that London is a huge place Bob - but you were one of the first people that came to mind when I heard the news. I'm pleased that all is ok with you and yours.
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 23rd Mar 17, 6:31 AM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 15,068 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Well. Today was fine. Till I got to the school gate and heard what had happened. The poor lady who told me has a close relative in the armed police and hadn't been able to get hold of them at that point. She was in bits. I was so glad my husband had worked from home today. Scary times. Hugs to anyone who has been affected.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    That poor lady, she must've been worried sick.

Very scary
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7650.00 Cap 1: £400.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

Lunches to work 7/20 ~ £10pw 3/4

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 23rd Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 5,211 Posts
    • 15,272 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Bob, so sorry to hear that this is so close to home for you, can't even imagine the anguish of not being able to get hold of a relative. Im assuming all ok with the poor lady you know as the officer killed was not armed. Still awful for everyone else involved though. Sending love from Yorkshire! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 24th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 10,568 Posts
    • 68,976 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Sorry to go off line for a couple of days especially after last post. Just so busy. I will be back. Thanks for the thoughts.

• boxofpaws
    • By boxofpaws 25th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    boxofpaws
    Just properly caught up on your diary. I logged in from work on Wednesday to check you hadn't been caught up in anything, so thank you for posting.

Caught up on the rest. Aww to your daughter looking longingly at the toys out the cat flap
    Debt 03/01/17 = £42000
    Debt today = £36933
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

822Posts Today

6,905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin