Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sevennotemode
    • By Sevennotemode 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Sevennotemode
    Possible Inheritance Act Claim, how long to wait before distribution ?
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    Possible Inheritance Act Claim, how long to wait before distribution ? 20th Mar 17 at 2:55 PM
    Mam died,I am sole executor,will probated more than 6 months ago.

Had a very threatening letter from siblings' solicitor.

Solicitor threatened inheritance act claim,undue influence, unsound mind, poor executor's communications,me having to pay their legal fees etc,etc - all total lies.

I have not taken the bait and have totally ignored his letter and not fallen for his trap.

I am sure they have just paid for a solicitor's letter to try and frighten me.

My question is : How long do they have before they must formally serve notice of proceedings ?

I don't want to be in a position where I distribute the estate when I am unaware of the existence of a claim until it is actually served.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 20th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    Mam died,I am sole executor,will probated more than 6 months ago.

Had a very threatening letter from siblings' solicitor.

Solicitor threatened inheritance act claim,undue influence, unsound mind, poor executor's communications,me having to pay their legal fees etc,etc - all total lies.

I have not taken the bait and have totally ignored his letter and not fallen for his trap.

I am sure they have just paid for a solicitor's letter to try and frighten me.

My question is : How long do they have before they must formally serve notice of proceedings ?

I don't want to be in a position where I distribute the estate when I am unaware of the existence of a claim until it is actually served.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Sevennotemode
    AIUI any claim has to be made with six months of probate. If I am correct they are too late. Did you publsih the statutory notices? The following link may be of help.

http://www.cartmells.co.uk/time-limits-in-inheritance-act-claims/

It might be worth sending a polite reply just stating that it is out of time. That way they can't say you have ignored them.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 20-03-2017 at 3:24 PM.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 20th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    Originally posted by Sevennotemode
    AIUI any claim has to be made with six months of probate. If I am correct they are too late.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Undue influence and unsound mind would be grounds for contesting the validity of the will - This needs to be done before probate is granted.

A claim under the Inheritance Act (as Yorkshireman99 has stated) needs to be made within six months of probate being granted. However, a claim could be made out of time, but only with the permission of the High Court (expensive).

Poor executors communications is not a crime, nor can they seek civil redress.

You have one of three options -
    1. Ignore.
    2. A single, polite response sticking a finger up at them.
    3. Play letter tennis and run up his legal bill - The sol will charge for each letter sent and every reply received.

Had a similar situation when I did probate and had a letter demanding a copy of the will. Told them where they could get a copy and provided them with the PA1s form (the metaphorical finger). Over the next ten months or so, bounced a few more letters off the sols and it culminated in a very derogatory Xmas card - Guess the bill hit where it hurt most

Bottom line - If you were going to get an I(PFD)A claim, it would have turned up months ago. If you want to read up on the procedures, the ACTAPS guidance code should provide a starting point.

Did I mention that any claim is hideously expensive and falls outside of legal aid ?
    Last edited by FreeBear; 20-03-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 21st Mar 17, 3:24 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:24 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 3:24 AM
    I would add as a last resort refer the claimant to the case of Arkell v Pressdram and suggest they Google it.
    • Sevennotemode
    • By Sevennotemode 21st Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Sevennotemode
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    FreeBear and Yorkshireman thanks very much
    • 21st Mar 17, 10:45 AM
    for your reassuring words.

It is quite amazing when siblings show zero interest in parents when they are alive but suddenly show a lot of interest in their estate when dead. Quite despicable bahaviour.

Thanks again.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 21st Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    You are very welcome. From postings on this forum the saying "Where there is a will there is a greedy relative" is still true. Please let us know the outcome.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin