Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CrazyCatLady
    • By CrazyCatLady 19th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 433Thanks
    CrazyCatLady
    Hoping to start multiple voluntary jobs - what do I do about references?
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    Hoping to start multiple voluntary jobs - what do I do about references? 19th Mar 17 at 12:44 PM
    I've applied for three voluntary roles. Two of them are in the process of contacting my references, the same references. One is taking a while to get the ball rolling.

One of my references is a character reference. She has said she's happy to give a references for me as many times as I need it but the other was my most recent employer.

I don't really want this third job to contact the same employer as that will have been three times the same references will have been contacted.

I don't want to talk to my previous employer about it as we left on bad terms.

Any suggestions? I was wondering if anyone had "transferred" references from one job to the other.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by CrazyCatLady; 19-03-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: More clarity.
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Mar 17, 2:35 AM
    • 37,354 Posts
    • 33,682 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 21st Mar 17, 2:35 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 2:35 AM
    My feeling is that any voluntary agency with an ounce of common sense will know that using the previous employer as a referee isn't always going to be possible.

You need to speak your potential referees and get their agreement, and find out how many times they are happy for you to use them.

If the volunteer jobs are asking for particular kinds of referees then politely explain what you're doing and why.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 2 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, 1 baby jumper
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,177Users online

Martin's Twitter