Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 6,104Posts
    • 5,541Thanks
    Sleazy
    Hairy Legs
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    Hairy Legs 13th Oct 16 at 8:09 PM
    As there's a thread on beards, I thought I'd start one to get opinions on hairy legs, particularly when they are visible in public.
    Signed Sleazy
    The Last Of The Lounge Lizards
Page 2
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 20th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 16,858 Posts
    • 25,683 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    if its any consolation the hair on your legs gets more sparse as you hit the menopause.

Not wishing your life away mind... just stating what i was told.
    Originally posted by Judi
    It does, I definitely don't need to remove it as often.

That said I only bother when the weather is such that I wear short sleeve tops and or skirts so hopefully soon although the forecast is for snow!!
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Piscean1991
    • By Piscean1991 20th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Piscean1991
    To be honest, I kind of leave my legs to it until I have to get them out and even then I only shave as far up as I need to. I just find de-hairing them such a pain.

Boyfriend doesn't seem to mind. I do my armpits regularly though. I don't like to feel spikey or hairy there.. I feel like I get smellier with hair under my arms.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 27,433 Posts
    • 99,748 Thanks
    Pyxis
    if its any consolation the hair on your legs gets more sparse as you hit the menopause.

Not for everyone.

And anyway, even if there's less hair on your legs by then, you'll find you have more hair where you really don't want it.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 20th Mar 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Legs get shaved on Saturday morning. By mid-week they could be put to good use as sand-paper, but life's too short to be faffing around with razors any more frequently.
    Originally posted by onlyroz

I am a 3 times a week guy

The problem is knowing where to stop.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 20th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 14,853 Posts
    • 59,804 Thanks
    Judi

even if there's less hair on your legs by then, you'll find you have more hair where you really don't want it.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    i wouldnt know.....
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 20th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 22,444 Posts
    • 55,938 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I just wear trousers as much as possible and tops with sleeves
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 20th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Not for everyone.

And anyway, even if there's less hair on your legs by then, you'll find you have more hair where you really don't want it.
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Struggle with my ears
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 9,782 Posts
    • 23,849 Thanks
    suki1964

Yeah, but then the hairs on your chin and top lip take over

I live in trousers and tops with sleeves. Most people are gonna notice facial hair before they notice any body hair on me

Life is just too short
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Meg x
    • By Meg x 20th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    Meg x
    When I was very young, someone gave me some advice..'never ever shave above your knees' - I never have, and have never had hairs grow on my thighs thank goodness.

I've never had a lot of hair growth, and being fair it can't really be seen anyway...but my legs and armpits get shaved every 2 days because I can't bear any prickly sensation on them...other, um, parts get shaved every day.
    ''Embrace the glorious mess that you are''

Elizabeth Gilbert

''The world is made of faith, trust, and pixie dust''
    J.M. Barrie
    • Ames
    • By Ames 21st Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 16,168 Posts
    • 28,204 Thanks
    Ames
    Most of the time I can't be bothered/don't remember to shave my beard (I'm female). Legs get shaved if I'm going to be wearing a skirt above ankle length and no tights, armpits sometimes in summer. Anywhere else doesn't.

Although I've got bald patches on my legs now, which is interesting, hopefully it'll spread...

Mostly my lack of shaving is due to health problems making it difficult, plus I've had problems with folliculitis in the past.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 21st Mar 17, 12:27 AM
    • 10,159 Posts
    • 18,219 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I can't bend far enough to shave my legs so if they need doing I have to wait until mum/female friend can help me with it. That isn't often though- cheers alopecia/menopause I always shave my armpits (although not as much as I used to have to though) and my chin though. And yes I shave my head- only because when my alopecia makes an appearance it grows back more evenly if I shave it all off.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit- New 2:1 Graduate! :❤️ MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and happy sponsor for Season 2! 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • flissh
    • By flissh 21st Mar 17, 2:21 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    flissh
    I've always been a bit sporadic with my legs, I do them for a holiday, or if wearing a nice skirt or dress. I run every week and never worry about my hairy legs in shorts though!
    Don't think my o/h cares to be honest.
    I've always epilated or waxed my upper lip and tweezed the occasional hair on my chinny chin chin.
    My o/h shaves his face and trims his head to next to nothing but the rest of him is like a bear. If he decided to be hairless it'd be a full time job.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 21st Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    • 6,798 Posts
    • 14,838 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    When I was very young, someone gave me some advice..'never ever shave above your knees' - I never have, and have never had hairs grow on my thighs thank goodness.

I've never had a lot of hair growth, and being fair it can't really be seen anyway...but my legs and armpits get shaved every 2 days because I can't bear any prickly sensation on them...other, um, parts get shaved every day.
    Originally posted by Meg x
    I was told this too - it works!!
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 21st Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Originally posted by Meg x
    I never shave above my knees cos I can't be bothered. There is hair there but it's much softer and finer, and so you don't really notice it.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Mar 17, 9:08 AM
    • 27,433 Posts
    • 99,748 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I must admit, I rarely bother with my legs in the winter. I live alone and wear trousers all the time, so no-one will see. It's a pain to do, and I've been ill a lot, so it's low on the priority list. I'd rather tackle the overgrowth in the garden!

I do it lots more in summer, especially for holidays, or if it's hot, as I'm more likely to wear a long, cool dress or maybe even long shorts.

Underarms, yes, of course, as it isn't acceptable to see hairy armpits, and it's more hygienic.

Am much more concerned about the postmenopausal facial hair.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,027Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin