Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • McGrander
    • By McGrander 21st Mar 17, 1:26 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    McGrander
    Online Car Insurance
    • 21st Mar 17, 1:26 AM
    Online Car Insurance 21st Mar 17 at 1:26 AM
    Hi everyone, I'm new on here and would really appreciate some advice. This is the first forum I've posted on, so hopefully I make sense!

I took out a policy with an online broker who I found with on a price comparison site.My current cover is still in place and the new cover is due to start on Friday.

I received a confirmation email shortly afterwards and was required to upload my NCD and driving licence which I did. The following day I received an email from the broker claiming that because my photo was out of date they would have to check with the underwriters if this was OK. Realising this was the case I popped over to the Post Office to renew my licence - they process it online and take your photo etc and the new licence arrives through the post seven days later.

The online wording on the brokers site is that you have 21 days to submit a valid licence, NCD etc.

I emailed the broker back saying that I'd upload my updated licence as soon as it arrived. Tonight, on returning from work, the broker had emailed me again claiming their underwriter was cancelling my policy, 7 days from today - even though the new policy doesn't commence until Friday, and that they'd be charging me £50!

The broker offers a 14 'cooling off' period, with full refund, but I'm seemingly being charged an admin fee of £50 by the underwriter within that period. Should the cancellation letter not have been sent after the 21 day period i.e. the period which the brokers asserts I need to upload valid licence etc?

Also what implications will there be if this isn't a mistake and the policy is cancelled - will I have to declare this to future insurers? It's turning into a nightmare!

Even though my initial submitted licence was out of date, I would have thought I could have re-submitted my updated valid licence within the 21 period.

Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks!
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 21st Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    takman
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 21st Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    Was the address on your photocard correct because they send you a letter atleast a month before telling you that you need to renew it, didn't you get this?.

Also it was abit silly sending them a copy of your licence without even checking it was still valid. But i can't see how a policy can be cancelled before it starts. I wouldn't be reporting this as a cancellation because they have refused to start the insurance and not cancelled it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,777Posts Today

8,081Users online

Martin's Twitter