2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    OUT a pair of worn but much loved slippers :-( IN a new pair
  • somerandom
    somerandom Posts: 920
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    somerandom wrote: »
    171 & 2 - more dead tights
    173 - vest top

174. Bedspread
    175. dead rucksack
    176. book
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    331. Broken pedometer binned
    332. Travel bottle with missing lid binned
    333-335. Books returned to library
    336. Disposable plates used up
    337-339. Boxes recycled
    340-345. Bottles recycled
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • I think i have stopped with the whole pulling and putting things back from the charity shop bags thing that i was doing and now we actually have a few bags for life and shopping bag sized bags of stuff that is completely and utterly useless to us to go off to charity.

I think what I'm going to do though is rather than swamp the charity shop with loads of bags, I'll trickle it out of the house over the course of a few days. At least 2 or 3 of the bags are just clothes and I have heard of this scheme where you can take unwanted clothes to H&M/M&S and get a voucher in return but i need to look into it more to make sure it'll be worth doing as the nearest of either of those shops is a bit out of my way.
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all, haven't posted for awhile, life been complicated...still decluttering had best part of today decluttering kitchen not even half way thru but needed a bit of a break inbetween so cleaned bathroom and got rid of a few duplicates and gave it a good clean
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think i have stopped with the whole pulling and putting things back from the charity shop bags thing that i was doing and now we actually have a few bags for life and shopping bag sized bags of stuff that is completely and utterly useless to us to go off to charity.

I think what I'm going to do though is rather than swamp the charity shop with loads of bags, I'll trickle it out of the house over the course of a few days. At least 2 or 3 of the bags are just clothes and I have heard of this scheme where you can take unwanted clothes to H&M/M&S and get a voucher in return but i need to look into it more to make sure it'll be worth doing as the nearest of either of those shops is a bit out of my way.

This is what I need to do, I have a box of stuff and a couple of large bags of my late husband's clothes, in the spare room to go to the charity shop, but I just keep looking at them and walk out of the room and shut the door again. I've also got a few boxes of my late dad's stuff in the shed, ready to donate, and I need to go through the rest of DH's clothes, but I just can't face it yet. If my DH was still here he would have taken everything straight down to the shop, but I just can't be bothered, although I know he wouldn't be happy about me keeping this stuff so I need to sort myself out soon.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Oh Sue, don't rush yourself :o

Take all the time you need to sort through the possessions of your late husband and father, I believe it's all part of the grieving process.

Maybe even looking through some of it will bring back fond memories of them and fill you with comfort, donating said items to charity may help you feel a tad better knowing it will go on to another good home :o
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    584:sorted through a small bundle of papers that have been sitting on the sofa for a week or so
    585:had to throw out a £15 screen protector after trying soooooo many times to sit it straight on the phone,that it became crumpled,got dust under it,and wouldn't sit on the phone straight :eek:.Going to buy one from the £1 shop next time I am near the shops-can't go through all that malarky again :o

Got the day of tomorrow (Tuesday).House is clean after marathon cleaning session on Sunday,so don't need to do anything in that department.Think I will spend the time purely decluttering: I have got a couple of areas I have been meaning to get around to.And there is always paper :o.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• DBX
    DBX Posts: 4 Newbie
    Out of my four bedrooms, my husband had three rooms full of his hoard accumulated over the last three decades. He passed away in 2014. I started selling his stuff on eBay and Facebook. I emptied two rooms within seven months. Now these two rooms are proper bedrooms. I rent them out to international students who are doing the course at a local university for 4-6 weeks. It was hard and frustrating work to empty the rooms, but now I am earning a decent amount as a result.
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Oh,I have got so much done today.I am really pleased with my efforts today:

After decluttering our bedroom a couple of weeks ago,one job I still had to do,was sort out a bedside cabinet that was yeeeeaaaarrrrs old,and the runners had broken,so drawers not really useable.So they became a dumping ground of not only their oroginal content,but other stuff being dumped (by me) ontop of the unit itself icon_rolleyes.gif.

So I put a few items back where they belong,then decluttered:
    586:Christmas card from 2006-recycled
    587:lots of scraps of paper put out for recycling (because I already have a large enough stash of scrap paper :eek:)
    588:cryptic crossword puzzle book,with one puzzle done,in 1999 :eek:-recycled
    589:hard-cover address book recycled after tearing up the couple of pages with phone numbers written in it,except those of my parents mobiles-those pages ("M" for mum,and "D" for dad),I have kept.Just because.

I kept all flight-tickets/boarding passes from over the last 17 years.Not sure why.Might go through them in more detail another time
    590-591:binned a couple of 16year old letters/postcards from friends who were travelling (and who are still friends now).But I kept the couple of letters I was able to find, from my long-time penfriend,who I have lost touch with

Found a fleece,still with labels on.15yo daughter was very happy to receive it
    Found old school polo-shirts.Kept 2,donated 6 others for the charity rag bag
    592:old pair scissors,binned
    593-595:3 magazines binned
    596:old box of photo corners binned (and for those of you under the age of about 30............)
    597:old writing paper and envelopes (so old their texture had changed slightly,and they had defintiely lost their sticky)-recycled
    598:total of 13 non-working pens binned.I did,however,find a "real" pen,monogrammed about 35-40 years ago,and it was still working :).I have put it in a more prominent drawer so I may start using it
    599: then I tipped the random detritus straight into the bin: a small bag of buttons,key ring,whistle,thermometer,thermometer covers..
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family