Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • potterspury
    • By potterspury 16th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 0Thanks
    potterspury
    Lost job and got £3000 through settlement agreement, ok to go back into company?
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:03 AM
    Lost job and got £3000 through settlement agreement, ok to go back into company? 16th Mar 17 at 9:03 AM
    Didn't have my contract renewed so got the union involved and got a £3000 on my settlement agreement. I still want to clean out my locker from 3 months ago and go back in and see my co workers. Why should new management stop me from seeing them. Glad to leave job anyway, but liked my co workers. Would it be illegal to go back in without telling management (in the evening when just cleaner and maybe one manager is in) and sort out my locker? And surely going in when everyone's there to meet co workers is fine? The worse they can do is tell me to sign in I guess.
Page 3
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 20th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    steampowered
    But ultimately I exploited the fact that they messed up and didn't renew the contract so I could get money out of them and could've got my job back as well if I wanted.
    It sounds like you were lucky to get anything at all. Your case sounds very weak to me - i.e. a claim by a poorly rated teacher on a zero hours contract whose contract was terminated in part you didn't want to work during part of the teaching year. I'm astonished you got anything.

As others have already advised you, entering the premises without your employer's permission would be trespassing. You have no right to be there. You can't just walk into random workplaces when you are not am employee.

The employer is perfectly entitled to deny you entry and to call the police if you don't leave. You can politely ask to enter the premises if you want, but the employer can say no.
    Last edited by steampowered; 20-03-2017 at 1:41 PM.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Mar 17, 1:45 PM
    • 7,981 Posts
    • 35,490 Thanks
    tea lover
    Genuine question - did you actually read the agreement before you signed it?
    • aife
    • By aife 20th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aife
    Just go and start cleaning their windows , tell them it's a promotional exercise.

Seriously , what's wrong with you ? I can hardly bear to drag myself into my current workplace never mind previous ones
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 20th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 8,417 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Just go and start cleaning their windows , tell them it's a promotional exercise.

Seriously , what's wrong with you ? I can hardly bear to drag myself into my current workplace never mind previous ones
    Originally posted by aife
    Seriously, what IS wrong with you?

Either they are your friends, so meet them at the pub?

Or theyre not your friends, so, get some actual friends.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • lulu650
    • By lulu650 20th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    lulu650
    The legal adviser would have earned circa £350 +VAT for less than an hour's work going through the settlement agreement with the OP. I'm inclined to think they haven't emphasised the relevant parts well enough. There really should be no room for confusion and it's disappointing to see that there is.
    Saving money right, left and centre
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 20th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 24,923 Thanks
    bugslet
    The legal adviser would have earned circa £350 +VAT for less than an hour's work going through the settlement agreement with the OP. I'm inclined to think they haven't emphasised the relevant parts well enough. There really should be no room for confusion and it's disappointing to see that there is.
    Originally posted by lulu650

I'm inclined to think it isn't the legal adviser that's the problem. The OP just generally doesn't seem to get most things.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 20th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 14,670 Posts
    • 8,099 Thanks
    motorguy
    Originally posted by lulu650
    I'm thinking its not the legal advice thats the problem....
    Regards

Paul
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 20th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    OP are you even working now? Id guess not otherwise you'd be too busy to plan on being a nucense with your ex employer.

I'd have thought getting another job in a school would require a reference from the people you are planning on irritating?

Is it really a good idea? land yourself in some legal trouble and you can kiss goodbye to entering school gates again.
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 20th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Timpu
    Seems a funny way to go about clearing out a locker.

I wouldn't care about the contents of my locker 3hrs after leaving, let alone 3mths if on an unamicable basis.

What did you leave behind OP that's so important? Is it really, really worth the hassle or are you toying with us?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 20th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 27,995 Posts
    • 16,780 Thanks
    getmore4less
    What did you leave behind OP that's so important? Is it really, really worth the hassle or are you toying with us?
    Originally posted by Timpu
    OP needs to recover their common sense from the locker....
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 21st Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Seems a funny way to go about clearing out a locker.

I wouldn't care about the contents of my locker 3hrs after leaving, let alone 3mths if on an unamicable basis.

Originally posted by Timpu
    The fact that the OP wasn't given time to clear their locker before leaving the premises may give an indication of how welcome they would be if they tried to return.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 21st Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Diiiiissguuuusting hahahahah

You moron, i just wanted to take him in because my co workers wanted to see him!
    Originally posted by potterspury
    Nobody wants to see your two year old. Trust me on this.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 21st Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 14,670 Posts
    • 8,099 Thanks
    motorguy
    Nobody wants to see your two year old. Trust me on this.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    +1

Nothing worse than some little snowflake being indulged in the workplace.

It bemuses me that the O/P feels its so important to meet former work colleagues after 3 months yet none have otherwise bothered to meet the O/P.

A simple "sure lets all meet up after work some evening" would cover off any keeping in touch aspect to this. Very strange (or not) that the former colleagues havent bothered....

The more i read over all this it gets more banal that the O/P thinks you can just enter former work premises (even moreso after a settlement agreement) to chat to former colleagues and access lockers, etc.

I left a previous employer some years ago via a settlement agreement (my boss was a complete !!!!, but apparently hes a complete !!!! to everybody so it wasnt deemed personal) and although i have many friends and former colleagues still working there i would genuinely rather !!!! on my hands and clap rather than go back near the place.
    Last edited by motorguy; 21-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    Regards

Paul
    • potterspury
    • By potterspury 22nd Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    potterspury
    Well what a bunch of largely stupid responses. Get a life will you. Especially the last few posts. I think best just go through some of this with someone with a brain. The union advisor and lawyer on divulging info.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 22nd Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Well what a bunch of largely stupid responses. Get a life will you. Especially the last few posts. I think best just go through some of this with someone with a brain. The union advisor and lawyer on divulging info.
    Because that would be much easier than arranging to meet these close friends of yours in the pub.

Do you not see that your behaviour looks at best obsessive and at worst deranged?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 22nd Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    i would genuinely rather !!!! on my hands and clap rather than go back near the place.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Love it!
    • potterspury
    • By potterspury 24th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    potterspury
    Love it!
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Disgusting!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 24th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Disgusting!
    Some people may say FOAD, I'll resist the temptation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,206Posts Today

8,533Users online

Martin's Twitter