Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,729Posts
    • 57,925Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £452.05/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £314.25/£500 NSD 15 Decluttered 701/2017 items
Page 388
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 20th Mar 17, 7:02 AM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 208,709 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Morning all.

kittie, I was very taken with Karen Kingston's little book about feng shui, it made a lot of sense to me, although by temperament, I've a low tolerance threshold for anything I consider to be superstitious clap-trap.

Re your professional books, may I ask if they are still current with your profession's practices and rules? And, if so, are they realistically likely to be current for much longer? The reason I ask is that such things tend to change over time, and the once invaluable repositiory of knowledge can end up an expensive paperweight.

Sometimes, we hang onto things because of the value they had, without realising that it is dwindling away until we either try to gift them or sell them, and find that they're now irrelevent at best, and misleading at worst.

Not a professional book, but my brother (an online bookseller) and I were leafing through our mother's copy of a 1960s home-making and childcare book. Among other horrors, it recommended asbestos floor tiles as being ideal for the nursery.

In all conscience, we considered some of the other advice therein equally risky and chucked it in the bin.

Can see by my daily weigh-in that I've misplaced 2.1 kg of flab since last Monday (can't see where from, plenty left to go ) but pretty satisfied with that, especially since I haven't stinted the good food. Yesterday afternoon, I nipped into little tosspots at closing time, sashayed past the discounted pastries, which were a weakness of mine, and bought some heavily-reduced daffodils instead.

These are sitting beside me now in a tall, clear glass jug, and giving much joy (and so very non-fattening, too). For 30p spent, I expect many hours of pleasure in the next few days and then they'll go into the compost with no regrets.

Will be busy today with work and round a pal's this evening, so not a lot of time to kondo anything, but tomorrow is another day. Have a good spring equinox, lovely peeps.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    that tyre thing is common, I think, slinky. We had a real spare tyre as an added on extra when we bought our car. Ok, I carry extra weight every journey but reading your post makes me glad that we added one. It does take up boot room but there is an added upside for me, in that the boot floor is now flat and level with the bumper, so I can roll heavy stuff out into a wheelbarrow

No kondo today, except I am going to throw out old useless cracked gardening gloves, to be replaced by a pack of yummy new ones from costco. Hope they are in store as I am off there later. Did lots of plying of spun fibre last night but will put it all in a labelled box when skeined and washed, so will be ready to knit and will take less space than fibre. I will start another bundle of fibre afterwards, the nibbling effect. This study/craft room of mine only takes nibbling, I cannot do a lot at a time, like undoing a pile of ravelled string. Oh yes, my felted fox is amazing, makes me smile

A bit of tlc will be required this week if you have fragile plant babies out, I am covering new sown seeds on the allotment with fleece later and bringing some seedlings indoors for the nights
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 7:09 AM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    yes re the books GQ. They are very current but are on the back burner for now. My feng shui book is by Davina Mackail. I don`t understand anyone putting all these `cures` out in the uk,like, three legged toads, the cures come from a long tradition of superstition in china and are not relevant to us here. Items like mirrors make a lot of sense as does retained energy in a home. Important to have the hall clear and the centre of the home with no cluttered blackspots in corners, which would include spare rooms, wardrobes, cupboards and drawers
    Last edited by kittie; 20-03-2017 at 7:12 AM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 20th Mar 17, 7:26 AM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 208,709 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Agree about the funny oriental knick-knacks, they're not part of our cultural history so don't have a deep resonance for us.

As a girl, even under 10, I was constantly sneaking off to re-arrange the furniture in my bedroom. So much so, that I was expressly forbidden from doing it. I became expert at moving furniture, even executing 33-point turns of my double-divan in a very small bedroom.

I was working to optimise the arrangement of objects in a small space, because some things just felt plain wrong to me. I'm also very sensitive to colours, some just make me flinch, and a new colour in a room can dramatically increase it's livability.

And oh, the subtraction of clutter is such a joyful thing, the best of all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 20th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 6,630 Posts
    • 40,322 Thanks
    Pooky
    I'm always being told off by everyone for rearranging rooms but I've always had to work with stuff I had rather than stuff that would suit the room. Since moving here 5 years ago it's taken a good few years to shuffle and sort stuff into the right places but I think, finally, that I'm done.

You may recall I got rid of a large Welsh dresser a few weeks ago, gorgeous piece of furniture that I'd lovingly stripped and painted and it sat in the kitchen looking pretty but something kept bugging me about it. One of our cats, who for the past 3 years has acted like hes part Tasmanian devil, part tom cat, was always trying to scale the dresser and would parquor across the room to get up there.....he earned the nick name of "gitface". Anyway, since the dresser left, this whirling dervish of a cat has settled into a purring, dribbling ball of fluffy lap cat. I know I feel calmer without it in the house, DH does too (and he's the biggest sceptic going on stuff like this) and I think the cats reaction really shows that some things do block or aggravate the flow in a house.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    bedroom.

I was working to optimise the arrangement of objects in a small space, because some things just felt plain wrong to me..
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    yes oh yes, that is intuition at work. I feel it too and eg removing my orange/black based peruvian woven hangings and coverings from my snug, it has made a world of difference. I put up a light coloured wall hanging instead, basically cream with birds on a tall tree and it has felt good ever since. Last night I read that this area on my house is wind/wood and looking at my hanging, most birds are flying and the tree is wood . The energy has come back into this room but it is dampened a little bit by some gentle relaxed hares made from bronze and resin and that is what I want, I don`t want to feel too energised or too sleepy in this room. Co-incidentally, my one picture in this room is a dreamy large photo of an elan valley forest surreal trees with tuffets and humps of lichen but is in a gold coloured frame. It always felt right here

pooky, amazing how cats know. I also believe that second hand furniture can carry energies from past owners. I have thrown items out in the distant past that had bad vibes
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 20th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,176 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    We had a massive blitz yesterday and rearranged the furniture and there is very little on the floors, it feels lovely and clear. Everything is put away so it is easier to vacuum.

My husband has (what I consider to be) a lot of clutter still. He considers it worth keeping as it is his old records, CD and book collections. Oh well, it is all neatly stacked away in our main cupboard and he did find an old playstation to sell and some stuff to be taken to the dump.

My living room and bedroom feel much more spacious and restful. I have fresh and dried flowers and candles out on the tables which bring me much joy.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 20th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 812 Posts
    • 13,730 Thanks
    Siebrie
    DH emptied out one shelf of his part of the wardrobe, and put everything back folded and in neat piles! Hurray! Not quite kondo, but at least it's neat again.

I would like to put my cookery books inside the book cabinet - they are currently on top, giving a cluttered look to the otherwise clear landing. A job for Wednesday morning, I think, when I have only dd2 at home.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6061,61= £ 5129.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 16,766 Thanks
    Slinky
    that tyre thing is common, I think, slinky. We had a real spare tyre as an added on extra when we bought our car. Ok, I carry extra weight every journey but reading your post makes me glad that we added one. It does take up boot room but there is an added upside for me, in that the boot floor is now flat and level with the bumper, so I can roll heavy stuff out into a wheelbarrow
    Originally posted by kittie
    Sadly with ours, a spare isn't an option unless you want it sliding around in the boot as there's no well in the boot floor for it. Madness, but that's German engineering for you.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 46,196 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just general tidying & sorting today - moved all my evening and 'formal' clothes into the wardrobe in the RoD as they're only used on certain occasions - do do a quick check but nothing gone from there. A top I dithered over has been MK'd and I've just decided that the paperback books on my bookshelf waiting to be read can go - they've been sitting there far too long.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    just a gentle nibble in the crafting room today, simply put bags of wools from the floor, into boxes already on top of a tall bookshelf, I did sort it all first. The good thing was that the boxes were up there and had previously been kondo`d of their contents, so a ready place for the yarns. Its a bit better but I can never see me working in there, as I have the much brighter living area. Got to watch that room as it has junk room potential. It is small and on the north side and all walls have tall furniture and there is a desk. I need to gradually clear cupboards eg one is choc full of candles. This time of year, I am burning some to keep the warmth going and I like them but ooh I did get sucked into buying bargains from a candle site.

I have crystallised fruits in there, that I bought for the children for christmas as a novelty, will bin tomorrow. A great big bag of all sorts of teas, I don`t know what I was thinking of but they will have to be used. Easter eggs, chocolate for me and on it goes
    Last edited by kittie; 20-03-2017 at 5:55 PM.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 20th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 13,730 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Kittie, maybe it helps if you give the room a different purpose? I always like to think of a grand mansion and all the different rooms they have there; one of them must appeal to my needs, for instance a room to keep all cleaning materials, or all clothes (like a dressing room), or all outdoor equipment, all bed linen, all items for the local fancy fair.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6061,61= £ 5129.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 20th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 2,268 Thanks
    Charly27
    Hello everyone I've been lurking due to family circumstances. I've now been signed off work for a couple of weeks due to exhaustion with some blood tests due tomorrow. My sleeping has been severely disrupted with the worrying about my Dad and feeling more and more overwhelmed and behind with work. So today as the fog starts to lift and on the Spring equinox I Kondoed all the school stuff into three boxes for DH to take to work for me tomorrow. As I filed the council tax and water bills for this year I shredded all previous years. Have a small stash for tomorrow to take to chazzer. I had the Karen Kingston book 'clear your clutter with Feng Shui' Kittie, it went to the chazzer with another one about a toothbrush when I was on books. I thought some things made sense. Like with all of this, I tend to take what works for me and let it go. Also went 'running' today! Got to do something natural to move on the stress. Love ❤️ to all
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    17 projects in 2017 in memory of Soulie 2/17
    Reading challenge 11 /40

Keep calm and Kondo
    • juliebunny
    • By juliebunny 20th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 7,947 Thanks
    juliebunny
    Charly, sick time can be well used to get a spot of decluttering underway. Last year i actually did my paperwork while off for a few months. Even now I'm soooooo glaf it's done. Have tried to cut back the amount of paper coming in so it doesn't get as bad. Online as much as i can now!!

The stuff about feng shui is very interesting i might see if I can get some more info....online....Don't want any books coming in !!

It's weird how i go through phases of just living in my home and then suddenly the urge to clear out attacks and I see emotional clutter everywhere and become unsettled until I've dealt with it....or the phase has paased!

I'm revisiting earlier categories too. Clothes i must have done five times. Books stacked higgledepiggledy....I'm looking at you!!
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
    • greent
    • By greent 20th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 57,925 Thanks
    greent
    kittie - if the crystallised fruits are unopened/ in date, can you give them to a foodbank? Or a school/ scout hall/ playschool as a raffle prize?

Sold an unopened candle set (raffle prize) on fleebay here today - only £10, but that's money for nothing and it was only listed on Sat
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £452.05/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £314.25/£500 NSD 15 Decluttered 701/2017 items
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    Kittie, maybe it helps if you give the room a different purpose? I always like to think of a grand mansion and all the different rooms they have there; one of them must appeal to my needs, for instance a room to keep all cleaning materials, or all clothes (like a dressing room), or all outdoor equipment, all bed linen, all items for the local fancy fair.
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Really good idea, love that. I could not see the wood for the trees. Thank you. That will help me move on in that room, which presently contains stuckness

greent the fruits are all in little cellophane bags. They are whole fruits and soaked in sugar, not suitable for the village food box, nor for the children or me. Bought on a whim, sigh

charly you are still moving forward and yes the spring equinox means a new start, for many of us and Julie there is a bagua, meaning that basically, the home is divided into sections. That part does seem to make some sense and is what has naturally happened in my home. The central area is the one to do with health and needs to be free for energy (chi) to move, even candles block the energy, so I removed all my candlesticks from there this morning and it felt livelier

My house is an eco house and everyone has always said that it is calming and that there is a natural flow. The areas seem to be in the right bagua spaces, so I am wondering if the builder employed some feng shui principles. It is very light and the back garden is higher than the front, so in feng shui, the back is protected as the garden has a field behind it, 3 m higher than my house, which kind of nestles the house

The area in which I have the study is mountain/earth or the self-development area bagua area, now that is what it really is, what it has the potential to be. All my studying books are in there also weaving, knitting, spinning, felting, carving etc. Yes, they must have had some feng shui knowledge. My front door is north, as is on the bagua and every other area falls into its bagua place.
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 20th Mar 17, 10:48 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Kondoed a lovely top which had a few repairs but developed two more holes. Final notice given to a pair of flat work shoes and a few undergarments. I prefer to replace these essentials before eviction, I may have a "touch of the Justin's" but I don't have an excess of either, and I'd hate to run out!

I recall a feng shui book when I was younger calling for a "concealed toad" in one room near a door....I did in fact own a handmade sculpture with a toad in it, a gift from an artist friend! At that point I decided I was already some kind of feng shui natural, and quit whilst I was ahead. Toady sadly lost a leg some years later when I used him as a doorstop -maybe this is why he should be concealed?
    Last edited by GoingToDoIt; 21-03-2017 at 8:34 AM.
    Apr 16... Hfax £2551/820 Vrgin £3420/3012 MBNA 2 £2100/0 MBNA1 98/0
    Total cc 0% debt £8364/3832 updated 21 Apr 17 (halfway to debt free )
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st Mar 17, 6:56 AM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    I am putting easy-bend trousers on later because I`ll be on my knees a lot and am finally going to do a real kondo in my food storage area, a sideboard in my hall and I will be date organising too. I have far too many long term foods in there and I ignore them because they are out of sight. Any I will eat, will go into a basket, one I can dip into. Any other in- date packed foods will go into the food bank. Should be an interesting project
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 21st Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 18,091 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I seem to recall looking at Feng Shui when it first became a thing over here, it turned out that my house was facing in the 'wrong' direction or the front door was in an unfavourable place or something - nothing I could do about that! So it sounds as if you're off to a good start, Kittie. Some of it made sense, and I love mirrors anyway, but not the toads and so on. However one thing that stuck with me was the idea that if you get rid of stuff it creates space for something else to come into your life. I think that has proved true for me - and I don't mean just physical things.

I wish I had the sort of sensitivity to my surroundings that Kittie and GQ are describing above, but I don't. I have no clue about colour, decor or what looks right where. Most of my interior decor has been chosen by friends
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 21st Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 10,510 Posts
    • 55,421 Thanks
    kittie
    I started and already things are flowing into the part empty space in the sideboard, I am ignoring the resulting mess and overflow in my kitchen, hall and dining area. The right place for the few remaining stored food items will be in the kitchen, so I have to decant a used but seldom used item to a protective plastic storage box in the shed. That kitchen cupboard area will be my new food storage area

I never realised how much tea I have, I am talking about prime loose leaf, lots of good green tea and various herbal teas. I have upped my tea intake as from this morning and have enjoyed a lovely green tea, brewed at about 70 and steeped for 30 seconds in a clever strainer, ingenui, that releases the liquid when placed over a cup or mug. Will use the same leaves again later and then compost. Break over, will now put some music on, probably reggae as I like the beat, lol the words can be pretty rude though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

335Posts Today

4,262Users online

Martin's Twitter